astrbac
Newly Registered

Removing concrete terrace or covering with something?

Hello everyone!

Just recently, I started redesigning my small inherited garden/garage/terrace :-) as I am later going to explain in my introductory post and I already have a problem.

To the left of the garage (south) there is a small concrete terrace, some 180 sq ft and a small tile roof. It is positioned so it is constantly in the way, due to its position it doesn't provide enough shade and it's too low so I keep bumping my head against it.

Best case scenario would be to remove the concrete, pave that area with something (what?) and build another trellis / pergola. Maybe climb some vines up (but then I don't have a "rain shelter")...

Any ideas? Here are the photos:
[url=https://img215.imageshack.us/I/mg7529t.jpg/][img]https://img215.imageshack.us/img215/5201/mg7529t.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://img405.imageshack.us/I/mg7560.jpg/][img]https://img405.imageshack.us/img405/6237/mg7560.jpg[/img][/url]

Bringing some soil over the concrete/instead of it is an option, as are the small round white stones.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Okay you are in Europe so that explains the grass on the roof. Haven't seen that in the USA. Can't you just put 6 inches of soil on top of the patio since you already said the roof line is too low and you want to remove it. 6 inches would support perennials, annuals, and vegeys but not any woody plants otherwise you'd have to take it up as well and put in stepping stones. I guess it all depends on what you want to accomplish and how much energy you have because constructing another cover will take time.

astrbac
Newly Registered

Hey, thank you for the reply! ;-)

Yes, I'm In Europe, Croatia to be exact. Wait a minute, no living roofs in the states? I'm sure they do have some, no?

The little roof is definitely going down, Its too small, too low and awkwardly positioned so it doesn't allow seating area for 4 people... I'll put another pergola in its place or a thatch roof of a sort and reposition the whole thing.

Topsoil 6 inches.... hm, thats not a bad idea. I understand that it could take longer to redo the whole area but what do you think - remove concrete, put soil (or sand), flagstone or river stone under the chairs?

That way I could shape little areas around paved ones, plant some grass or something similar

applestar
Mod

I saw an article about living green roofs last year and thought that is a really cool idea! I hear that in some European countries, it's a mandate to put them on top of new tall buildings. Some examples in Canada and Japan as well. 8) Hopefully, it will catch on in U.S. :mrgreen:

This is an oddly shaped space, and the existing roof (and the POSTS) certainly doesn't work very well. Is it hot there? Do you need the roof for shade?

If you're thinking of removing the concrete entirely, then the shape of the space could be changed as you like, but as it is, I was thinking what if you put raised beds (planters) along the edge of the concrete with support walls wide and high enough to also act as benches, and use one of those shade sails for a larger irregularly shaped (like triangular) "roof" ... I believe "Cooleroo" is a brand name. This way, coupled with some chairs on the other side, you would be able to put a table there, I think.

The concrete surface might be prettied up by tiling it or staining it, if you prefer.

astrbac
Newly Registered

Hello Applestar and thanx for the reply! ;)

Yes, living roofs and walls (vertical gardens) are AWESOME things! When you see one live then you learn to appreciate them.

You are right, the little terrace is irregularly shaped and the roof doesn't work at all. This area is turned towards south so it gets pretty hot during the spring/summer as it stays sunny all day long.

Plus, these beams that support the whole construction are about in the middle :( of everything...

It's going down tomorrow. My only concern is if I will be able to construct a new pergola in a satisfying manor (meaning: it will not all collapse ;) ). And more than that - where will I find a decent master of thatch roofing :/

applestar
Mod

Thatched roof would be very interesting, but have you also considered an open-worked arbor to grow some kind of a vine on it for a living, and possibly edible shade?

astrbac
Newly Registered

As a matter of fact, I have! Since, in the other part of the garden, further beck behind the garage, I am growing vine trees and vegetables, I thought about doing the same thing here.

BUT, vines won't protect me from the rains and also some insects tend to "fall from the sky" when you sit under these types or arbors ;)

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”