dancingmanatee
Newly Registered

Planting Poppy Anemones Late?

So this is my first time on the forum -- hello!

I hope this is the right place for this question.... Well, actually a 2-part question.

I recently discovered Poppy Anemones and I instantly fell in love. I gardened a little with my mom when I was a kid, but now that I'm in college (Zone 7), I want to set up my own small garden to enjoy the springtime.

However, space is limited so I'd have to plant flowers in flowerpots on my porch. I wanted to know if poppy anemones do well in containers? And I know your supposed to plant the bulbs in fall, but is there some way I could buy bulbs now or buy sprouts and transplant them, so I can have flowers by May?

If not, do you have any suggestions for good, quick-growing beginner flowers? I'm in Zone 7 now, but I'm in Zone 5 during the summer.

Thank you!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

They do very well in containers. They are hardy in zones 8 to 11, so you would have to move the containers to a protected space during the winter. Not all bulbs are planted in the fall. The anemones can be, but must be heavily mulched in order to live through the winter. Your anemones will do fine if planted in early spring. :)

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”