jacklyns

Flowers for the winter months- UK

Hi,
My garden is blooming with flowers in the months of March to June. However, at the height of summer, somehow all the colour fades away and then I only have some hycinths and other small dodgy flowers around. No proud flowers standing tall as they do in my neighbours' gardens. I have already planted my bulbs for blooming in Spring. Can you suggest what I should plant in the next few months so I can enjoy a little flower power through summer, autumn and maybe even winter?
Thanks in advance.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hi and welcome to the forum. You've posted several questions here lately. I'm going to go back and label them all UK, in hopes that some of the MANY UK folks around here, who would know your climate better than I do, will chime in.

So I'm going to give you a list of common, hardy summer and fall bloomers, but you need to check with someone local re how they do in your area. These are also things that like full sun or mostly. If you have a shadier situation, you need to let us know that.

Summer: daylilies, purple coneflowers, bee balm, yarrow, sunflowers, (annual and perennial) salvia, coreopsis (tickseed), gaillardia (blanket flower) liatris (gayfeather), veronica, black eyed susan. For bulbs, dahlias and gladiolus.

Fall: (many of the above will keep blooming right into fall) mums, asters, goldenrod, joe pye weed, great blue lobelia, sneeze weed, sunflower.

Winter: depends so much on what your winter is like, and very cold winters are pretty limiting, but pansies, ornamental kale, ornamental grasses (not flowering, but keep their structure and add winter interest), holly for the berries...

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”