earth

Calendula question

hi,
I bought a packet of calendula seeds-Pacific Beauty Mix colors. (packet picture below) I have a few questions regarding sowing galendula seeds:
1. Is it too early to sow it now?
2. Should I sow it indoors or out in pots (I have only a patio available for gardening): I am in North california and daytime temperature here in north california is 55'F and nite 40'F.
3. Do u have any suggestion about the soil type I need to prepare for my container when I sow these seeds?
thanks!
[img]https://www.yankeegardener.com/seeds/flwr-calendula-lg.jpg[/img]

MysticGardener67

Ya know, if you had, like, a 200ct pack of seeds or seeds you saved from last season, I would say just throw them out in the garden. But since you just bought a packet, there won't be but 25 or so seeds in it. What was the seedocunt of the packet? So if you have such few seeds, best chance to get them ALL to survive 'infancy' is to start them indoors

. Ummm Don't need to be big pots or anything, smaller containers... Like egg carton bottoms, or single serve yogurt containers. Heck I have even used the singleserve gelatin and pudding cups. Just pierce them with 3 or four holes on the sides, just above the bottom for drainage. Get creative and imaginative. If you want to hit your local gardencenter, HD, Loews or whatever and get the seed starting kits, that will work too..

I use a mix of half good soiless potting mix and half milled peat/sphagum moss. I have also started seed in straight milled peatmoss, but I soon learned that if you accidentally let it go stone dry, the peat will actually repel water. What you are seeking is a balance of water retention and drainage/airation.

No, in your location it is fine to start seeds indoors. Just give them a bright window ( SE or S ) or some florescent lighting an 2-3 inches over the containers. Cover the containers with clear plastic baggies or anything else that you find would make good 'micro greenhouse'

Keep them warm, watered ( but not dripping) and you should have babies Mari's in a few days.. Ready to transplant once they get , oh, thier 2nd or 3rd set of grownup leaves.

umm on topic of watering the seeds.. Best way is bottom watering take the container and PARTIALLY submerge it in water so that water goes through the drainage holes and into the mix. Next would have to be gentle mist. Idea is to water the seeds without spashing them out of the pots.

Okay Had long day and my thoughts are getting muddleled, so I hand this thread over to next available 'gardening consultant' LOL

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Calendula is a cool season plant and easy grower. As long as you aren't going to have any freezes, you could just start it outside and it isn't too early now.

MG is right that it will go faster started indoors in protected environment, but then you have to harden it off, gradually transition it from indoors to out. In my harsher climate out here in Ohio, hardening off is when I lose the most plants (and I'm impatient and always rushing the season! :) ). If you start them outside they will be adapted already.

You can buy potting soil and any good potting soil will do. But you do need to use potting soil, not garden soil, which is too heavy, dense and moisture holding.

earth

thanks!! those were some really well explained replies..... I am so clear now what I need to do with my Calendula seeds....thanks again!!

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”