theo316
Newly Registered

Need some help again...Mars Marble Poinsettia

Hello all!,

I just recieved a small Mars Marble Poinsettia. I fooloishly left my window open in my office over night and it ended up being quite cold in here when normally its VERY warm. Her soil is moist but the green leaves are quite droopy.

Now I have a much larger poinsettia from last year (all green) and its doing very well! any suggestions? was it the cold? will it bounce back?
should I re-pot??

help please...

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I do think it was the cold, as poinsettias are tropical plants.

I wouldn't repot until you see if it recovers. Repotting would just add more stress to a plant that's already struggling. Better to let it rest and give it proper care for at least a week or two. Then, the decision to repot should be made based on whether the roots are overly crowded in the pot it's in.

Good luck! :)

theo316
Newly Registered

[quote="Kisal"]I do think it was the cold, as poinsettias are tropical plants.

I wouldn't repot until you see if it recovers. Repotting would just add more stress to a plant that's already struggling. Better to let it rest and give it proper care for at least a week or two. Then, the decision to repot should be made based on whether the roots are overly crowded in the pot it's in.

Good luck! :)[/quote]

Butdo you think it will bounce back? Can it get too hot as well being a tropical plant and all?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

If it was frozen and the leaves are kind of mushy, no, it probably won't survive. If it was just chilled a bit, it very well might do fine. I don't know how cold it got in your office. Poinsettias usually can do okay in temperatures down to 50º, maybe even 45º for short periods, but lower than that, survival isn't likely. Without seeing the plant, I can't really predict its chances. Can you post a clear close-up photo of it?

I wouldn't suggest that you attempt to heat the plant in an effort to salvage it. Just leave it in what is to be its normal environment. For poinsettias, 65º to 75º is fine. :)

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”