Copper Leaf
Newly Registered

Hi... need your help...

Hi everybody,

I'm new here and it looks like I'm going to jump in with both feet :)

My husband and I bought a small horse farm about two years ago and are hoping to spruce it up a bit with some attractive garden designs. Since there is plenty of space it looks like we will have a lot of room to "play".

We do want to have as low maintenance a garden as possible since my husband works out of the home and I am very busy raising horses and our infant son... so please bare with me ;)

The woman we bought the property from had absolutely no rhyme or reason to the plants she put in. And I really do not think that she gave much though to the soil/climate requirements they would need to thrive (we are in Central VA, so I think that puts us in Zone/region 7??? Lots of acid and clay soil type)... many of the plants look stunted and weedy. However there are a few shrubs and bushes that seem to be doing quite well in the lovely Virginia clay we have to deal with... but I have no idea what they are :? I really hope someone here can help me identify them, because we would really like to include them in our future gardening plans. I have attached some photos (I think) :) I hope you can help identify these lovely plants :) Thanks.

The first is a beautiful flowering bush... it kind of reminds me of a laurel. It is in bloom right now and has the prettiest pink trumpet type blooms...

[img]https://awhitehorse.I.master.com/texis/master/search/+/image/Equus/PinkFloweringPla.jpg[/img]

The next is a similar type bush with burgundy colored flowers. Also coming in bloom right now.

[img]https://awhitehorse.I.master.com/texis/master/search/+/image/Equus/RedFloweringPlan.jpg[/img]

And this one with the cascading white flowers (also in bloom now) I have seen before, but I have no idea what it is...

[img]https://awhitehorse.I.master.com/texis/master/search/+/image/Equus/WhiteFlowers.jpg[/img]

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Welcome to the Forum CopperLeaf!

Here are my thoughts on what these three photos are:

1 - this one I am not positive, but may be a weigela

2 - this one is for sure a weigela

3 - this one is Drooping Leucothoe "Leucothoe Fontanesiana"

Hope that helps a bit. Anyone else have some suggestions?..........

Feel free to drop back in anytime, we're always here! :wink:

Val

Copper Leaf
Newly Registered

Hi Val,

Thanks for taking the time to reply... off to Google I go to look these plants up... :)

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Not a problem! I know it's hard moving into a new place and not having any idea what the plantings are. They should make it mandatory when you sell your home, you have to identify everything! :lol:
Have fun! :wink:

Val

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”