bixa525
Newly Registered

Need Suggestions for flowers

I need low growing plants 12" or less to plant in the front of my garden. I have clay soil and so far the plants that I have that are doing well are mini roses, hollys, and geraniums. I want something different this year and I would prefer perennials so I don't have to plant every year but I am open to suggestions for anything. My spot is full sun and I want something that flowers all summer. I am in Pennsylvania, I think it's zone 6 or 7. Any suggestions?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

I'm a big fan of Hostas and Day Lilies.

bixa525
Newly Registered

I thought Hosta's didn't do that well in full sun but maybe I am wrong. Do you have any specific daylillies that you like that don't get too tall? I need something 12" or under. Thanks

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Well they are shade tolerant plants but years ago we planted them in a full sun garden and they have been just fine. To be safe you can plant a large plant in front of them to shade them from the afternoon sun, though we did not do that and they are fine.

It's to late for Daff's and Tulip bulbs but that is an idea for next year.

Grey
Greener Thumb

There are some sun-loving varieies of Hostas - avocado is the first one that comes to mind.

Opa must be lucky -or he's just that far north that the sun isn't that strong. Most hostas will croak in the summer in full sun. I have a friend and neighbor who thought she knew where the shade line always was - well she was wrong, in midsummer her hostas just fried, so she is moving them back again this year.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

For the most part, Hostas are a shade plant, although there are a few varieties that are actually supposed to be in the sun.

Bixa52 - Here are a few smaller perennial flowers that you might look at:

"Penstemon barbatus" - Penstemon dwarf navigator - 12" tall
"Campanula punctata" - Campanula punctata - 12" tall
"Coreopsis rosea" - Coreopsis Sweet Dreams - 12-18" tall
"Aster alpinus" - Aster Pinkie - 6" tall
"Sedum spurium coccineum" - Dragon's Blood Sedum - 6-18" tall
"Dianthus Plumarius" - Dianthus Ballad Blend - 12" tall
"Aquilegia" - Columbine Songbird - 12" tall
"Scabiosa columbaria" - Scabiosa Pink Mist - 12" tall
"Calamintha grandiflora" - Calamintha Purple Rose - 12" tall

Hopefully you can find something in these you like :wink:

Val

I would try some camupanulas they are about that size and then you can get smaller ones yet my choice would be campanula caly canterberry bells they are pink blue or white in color

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”