creepycrawley

Bird of Paradise seed

Hey all.. My dad sent me some seeds for the Bird of Paradise flower, and I was wondering what'd be the best way to go about getting it to germinate?

I googled it, and most sites suggested vermaculite, but people here haven't even heard of the stuff, let alone sell it.. I always get the odd look and amused smile when I ask around for it :oops:..

I wanted to know if there's an alternate, successful way to germinate them, cuz they look awesomely beautiful, and I only have around 5 seeds..

I also came across a site describing with photos how she managed to germinate one by using two methods: https://lucyria.com/projects/paradise.html

I was just wondering if it can be done with compost and the soil in my garden.. Thanks..

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No probably not compost and garden soil, too heavy and holding too much moisture. Your seeds, which are very slow to germinate would likely just rot. I don't know anything about your location ("S.E. Asia" covers a lot of territory), but if you have garden stores around, then you can get some kind of well draining potting soil.

You have a difficult project ahead, which will require care and patience:

A bird-of-paradise grown from seed will take three to five years to bloom. The black seeds have orange fuzz on one end and are the size of sweet pea seeds. The hard seeds must be scarified (nicked or scratched) before they will germinate. To scarify, soak the seeds in lukewarm water for several hours, and then nick them with a knife or small file. Scarified seeds will germinate in two to three months. Another way to decrease germination time is to put un-scarified seeds in a plastic bag and place them in a refrigerator at 40-45°F for two weeks. Then scarify them. Sow seeds in vermiculite, a one-to-one mixture of peat and perlite, or a ready-made mix, (RBG note: I.e. potting soil!) to a depth of one-half inch. The soil mix must be kept consistently damp until the seeds germinate. To ensure a moist, humid environment, cover the seed flat or container with a sheet of glass or clear plastic and place it in indirect light. Transplant seedlings individually into pots when they have two true leaves. Fertilization can begin at this stage. https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MG106

creepycrawley

Hmmmm.. Well that's the seed alright, it's unmistakably cute :).. And I don't mind waiting for that time, because the flowers seem truly worth waiting for.. OK, I'll try asking around if there's any good potting soil available.. Thanks a hell lot for all the help and details.. I was worried I'll have to give them away cuz I had no idea how to germinate them.. :)

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”