GardenerX

makeing a Garden

Hello,

I'm trying to make a Garden in my yard and I have some questions and I need some pointers,

QESTIONS:

1: will putting trash bags down stop the grass from growing
2: will doing this benifit my garden
3: I put a log border around the soon to be garden is this ok or will somthing else be better
4: do I need to tear up the ground before I plant or will the trash bags with soil over it be ok

any info anyone has will be apresiated, thank you

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

If they are paper trash bags, yes you can cut a hole and plant with soil or mulch over the top. You can put any kind of border that is stable. Cinder blocks, bricks, logs if you want.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Type sheet mulching into our fancy new SEARCH THE FORUM feature (!). That's the process of smothering your grass with a bunch of layers of newspaper, then putting down soil etc. There's been lots written about it already.

karen21
Newly Registered

A great way to kill off weeds and grass before tilling and planting is to use an old carpet or black polythene to cover the area. Secure it and leave for a week or two.

Then lift it and dig the area over, removing any weeds as you go.

Then replace the cover for another week or two. Remove and dig over again removing weeds.

You should use your own judgement as to if your ground is now ready for applying a soil improver before planting.

Hope this helps.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”