a0c8c
Greener Thumb

Volunteer ID: Four O'Clocks

I have three volunteer's growing in a neglected garden we have. I haven't been able to get enythign to succesfulyl grow here so I kindof forgot about it. Now there's three of these, two on our side and one on the public lot right on the other side of our fence. Anyone know what it is?
I took a picture of the biggest one which hasn't bloomed, and a picture of the flower from one of the other ones.

Plant
[img]https://i34.tinypic.com/2505t6t.jpg[/img]
Flower
[img]https://i33.tinypic.com/2hibhgn.jpg[/img]

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Could they be four o'clocks? Sorry, I have no photo, but no doubt there are plenty on the Web!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Cynthia, you got it! :D

I didn't recognize the plant, and for some reason, Four-o'clocks didn't come up on any of my searches. Just didn't use the right keywords, I guess. :lol:

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

What tipped me to four o'clocks was the bud of the unopened flower. We had these flowers in Berkeley.

They grew in front of a west-facing solid wood fence: very hot, dry conditions (for Berkeley): 80s a lot, 90s some--remember the reflected & retained heat from the fence--and I had to remember to water them from over the fence, because the hose wasn't long enough to reach *around* the fence to the flowers.

I love four o'clocks and have no place to put them at this house. But one of my neighbors has some, and I look at them all the time! :)

Cynthia

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I love them, too. I think I'll have to plant some next year. Four-o'clocks, nasturtiums and snapdragons were the first flowers I ever grew, way back when I was a little kid. I seem to have always had nasturtiums, but the four-o'clocks and snapdragons kinda fell by the wayside. I'll revive them again. :D

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

What's the best way to gather seeds. I'm not going to dead head them so what do I need to look out for. Once all three are blooming the bees will be by and pollinate them, they seem to liek our yard. Once I get some I can mail you some seeds, these do amazingly well without much water.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

As I recall, the seeds are black and fairly large. Quite noticeable and easy to handle. Just keep a close eye on your plants as the flowers wither, and you should find the seeds without difficulty.

Here's a picture:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/24293654@N00/2635387755

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Yes, the seeds are large; just between the size of a green (French) lentil and the common brown lentil, but more elongated.

Very easy even for me (carpal tunnel) to pick up off the sidewalk/ground.

Cynthia

applestar
Mod

The seeds develop one per flower and are at first pale green, then get streaked with brown, and eventually turn all black or brown. By this time, they shrink some in the cupped bracts and loosely rattle around. In downward facing bracts, the seeds may fall out. To collect the seeds, simply tip the bract cup over your other hand. Sometimes you have to pull or squeeze open the bract to free the seed. If you pull the plant towards you and accidentally let go, the seeds will go flying from the sling-shot effect. :lol:

Long time ago in Japan, my grandmother told me these flowers are called "Oshiroi-bana" or "white face powder flower". She had a HUGE clump of them in her garden, and showed me how if you crush the seeds, they're filled with white powder. I don't know if they actually used the powder as white face powder or if they just look like it.

SkyKero
Cool Member

I bumped into some 4oclock information today -- and now I am curious!

If you have some extra seeds -- I would love to get a hold of some.
Let me know I can send a stamped self addressed envelope.

Thanks,

Silvia

a0c8c
Greener Thumb

I'm still waiting for seeds. I've got the pale green pods applestar mentioned, but I've still gotta wait until they start turning brown or streaked which is taking forever! It's been soo wet lately nothing wants to brown :(

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”