miagardener

Fastest growing flowers? Best in zone 10?

I live in Miami, FL, zone 10. I just got my first backyard and started my garden. I'm growing tons of tomatoes (too many, I'm going to have to sell the baby plants in my front yard when they're about 6" high) onions, cucumbers, green peppers, carrots, pumpkin, cilantro, dill, basil, and a few more things. This is my FIRST garden, although my mother is a gardener with a very big green thumb, so that helps, but she lives in a different zone than me, so it doesn't help as much! I am starting my flowers now, I want to grow most of them directly from the ground (although I started some in starter containers and pots). What are very fast growing flowers for zone 10? What are good flowers to keep away bad bugs and attract butterflies and hummingbirds? I like perennials. I love colorful! The only flower that I can remember planting are the Joker Pansies, all of the other ones I spread in the yard, I forgot! LOL. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Also, anyone know the best, fast growing trees for south florida? Thanks so much in advance! :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You need to check this website: https://www.floridata.com/

It is a plant encylopedia for florida plants. It's divided in sections like trees, shrubs, perennials, etc. Each gives a list of that kind of plant for florida and you can click on each one for info about the plant. OR you can search by characteristics like fast growing, attracts hummingbirds, etc. Plus lots of growing info for Florida gardeners.

Just to get you started, here's a few fast growing trees for Florida: empress tree, tulip poplar, crape myrtle, thuja arborvitae, leland cypress.

But sounds like you are starting from the beginning. You would benefit from a good book on Florida gardening, and hang out at the local garden stores (not big box, somewhere where there are knowledgeable people) talk to people who have Florida garden experience.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Some good flowers to start with include coreopsis (butterflies like it), purple coneflower (butterflies), bee balm (hummingbirds LOVE it), geranium (the showy geraniums that are actually pelargonium. Most of the country has to bring these in for the winter, but you could actually plant them), scarlet sage (salvia coccinea, hummingbirds and butterflies), tithonia (mexican sunflower or its big brother bolivian sunflower (butterflies).

These are all colorful, easy to grow, fast growing plants that would give you a good start on attracting some butterflies and hummingbirds.

But you are still going to need to do some homework-- look these up and see what appeals to you and understand what conditions they need, do some reading, talk to local gardeners.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We have lots of extremely hot dry weather in the summer 95 to 100+ degrees F for 7 to 8 weeks with very little rain from mid June to Mid August.

Zinnia grow good in hot dry weather. They attract butter flies and hummingbirds. The blossom early and blossom all summer until frost. They make seed pods when the flower dies so be sure to pick all the seed pods. They come is lots of colors. You can plant all of one color or mixed colors. They look like a weed up close but from a distance they are very nice.

Moss Rose is another one that blossoms all summer and does great in poor soil, extremely hot and dry weather. They are mixed colors every color you can thing of they are very beautiful.

Vincia is another one that blossoms all summer and does good in very hot dry weather. They come in white and pink colors.

Most garden centers have a section called Butterfly & Humming bird flowers. There are lots of flowers to choose from.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”