brendan
Newly Registered

Planning a Small Herb and Wildflower Garden

I'm planning a small garden for this spring, maybe 20' x 40' total. It's the top section above a retaining wall. I'm planning to layout some beds and grow herbs: basil, mint, thyme, sage, rosemary, parsley and others. I've started sage, parsley, and thyme from seed indoors and they have all sprouted. Should I keep the mint in containers to keep it from over running the bed?

I wanted to plant wildflowers in one bed, and then some ground cover in another.

I'm really a complete newbie when it comes to gardening. I was a herbicidal maniac until I discovered I could actually keep a spider plant alive. That was three years ago and now my house is getting filled up. I have ivy, jade, philodendren (sp?) the herbs I mentioned. I've even begun taking cuttings and propogation and all that. I feel that I can build a small garden and be successful. I live in CT. The house is situated in such a way that it will cast a shadow over the garden from about sunup until say 7:00-8:00 a.m, but the bed will get the whole morning, midday and probably 12:00 - 3:00-4:00 sun. Is this adequate for what I'm trying to do?

Thanks so much. Glad to be apart of your forum!

Grey
Greener Thumb

In answer to your mint question: Yes. As I'm betting you have heard, mint spreads very, very easliy - I have several varieties of mint and they are in containers... on a deck... so they can't spread!
I would think you have enough sun - I'm not as familiar with the strength of the sun that far north - but it should be enough daylight for your herbs & wildflowers.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Sure. Those are full sun conditions...

And don't turn those mints loose... :shock:

Scott

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”