mmt

Gladiola

Hi Buddies, :)

I planted my Gladiolas from blubs in May. I knew it was a bit late. But can I

still hope them to bloom for this year? They are now 2 to 3 feet tall and still

have no clue of flower stems. I feed them Miracle Grow only. Anything else

should I do to see their blooms this year or is it too late. :roll: :)

Mimi

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

They should bloom. This year's flowers are actually formed inside the bulb during the previous year's growth. That's true of all plants that grow from true bulbs, such as tulips and daffodils. :)

mmt

Thanks Kisal,

I really wish to see them as this is my first year of Gladiolus.
I thought I may just have to enjoy only the tall leaves :lol:
The other thing I forgot to mention is I moved some of them once or twice for the sake of enough sun bath for them. That's also part of the reason of confused hope.

Since I moved around, I lose track of the colors too :P

mm

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Depending on variety, size of corm and conditions, glads take anywhere from 2 to 6 months to bloom. If you know the variety you planted, you can look up its days to bloom. But you probably did slow them down by moving them around. Not much to do to help it along but be sure they are well watered. They want an inch of water a week. Whether or not they bloom will depend on the above and how early your frost comes... I still have ten weeks to frost; you may not...

mmt

Yeah! Mr.Rainbow,

It hard to say here in Vancouver if we'll still get some more sunny and warm days or not. Now it is very cloudy.

My Glads, I bought from Costco, so they must be from United State. But to guess when they will bloom, I throw away the bag and kind of clueless :P :P

I saw some brown holes on leaves too, are they fungus or bugs bite? so I spray them with "green earth". don't know it'll work, I think part of it is not getting enough sun this days.

As I want to see at least a single flower shoot, I will also ask My Buddha politely after my prayers " Can I still see my Gladiolas to put on your shelf this year?". :D

Hoping it'll bloom by either way, miracle grow or a reward.

What do you guy choose for your fall gardens buy the way?

Cheers!

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”