nes
Green Thumb

What do we think of Buddleja? (Butterfly Bush)

So I've been trying to pick a shrub for in front of my house. I want it to cover a huge window for a little privacy (we're 15' from a rural highway). Canadian tire is having a ridiculous sale trying to get ride of their leftover plants. Buddleja is on for like $10.

It certainly gets large enough but I'm not sure I like the foliage that much. Does anyone have one they particularity like and could share a photo of?

I may get one for the backyard anyway, CT has allot of different shrubs on sale right now :D (just the other ones that got large enough (over 5') were very small right now).

applestar
Mod

Ooh nes! :shock: I really think you should read this thread:
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7633

What about Clethra alnifolia (Summer Sweet) -- needs sufficient moisture -- or Lindera benzoin (Spicebush)? ... or Viburnum trilobum (Highbush Cranberry)? ... or ... :wink:

nes
Green Thumb

I assure you I was looking for the highbush cranberry! (I remembered your suggestion), but I got lured in with the sale :oops:. Like a moth to a flame, or a butterfly to a bush... :lol: It was quite weedy looking at the store & I was hoping it was just old, I guess not eh? Pass on that one! Thanks for the link! I'll keep looking.

FYI, we finally have hummingbirds!! One flew into my porch the other day so I'm sure they are here, it's nice to know someone is finally appreciating all the humming-bird friendly plants I put in :)

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”