earth

help.....leaves got burnt!

I bought waxleaf begonia day before yesterday... kept it in my patio yesterday afternoon, patio gets evening sun after 3:00pm.... the leaves of begonia got burnt in just one hour after being exposed to sun...the temperature was 104F yesterday....but in the information given abt the plant it said" begonia loves sun & heat"..then why did it get burnt... pls advise should I keep it indoors? I have yet not planted it in a bigger container...

Below are photos of my "new begonia" and burnt leaf of my new plant the next day :-(

my new begonia
[img]https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2633/3762788638_5198c075d0_m.jpg[/img]

my burnt begonia:
[img]https://farm3.static.flickr.com/2574/3767053052_4af901e7d8_m.jpg[/img]

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Many plants that are offered for sale have been grown in greenhouses. They are usually protected from direct sun. When you bring a plant home and move it outdoors, you need to acclimate it over a period of a week or two, so it gets used to the brighter light of direct outdoor sun.

Start new plants in full shade, slowly moving them into the appropriate sun exposure as described on the label.

I don't know of any way to heal the damaged leaves, but any new leaves that grow will be adapted to the sun.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Where in northern California are you? The temps can run anywhere from mid-50s (today in Pacifica) to over 100 (Red Bluff in the north; Indio in southern California).

Direct sun exposure of a baby plant + high temps would produce this effect. However, direct sun exposure in Pacifica, where the fog (= "marine layer") never cleared up today, would be completely different from a west- or south-facing porch in Davis or Sacramento.

Shade-cloth will help if you don't have a sheltered location available.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

earth

thanks...I should have not kept it in direct sun especially when the temperature were high that day..... it has been sitting in shade since then and doing pretty well :-)

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”