nes
Green Thumb

Overwintering SnapDragons (and LMAO)

I know snapdragon sometimes grow wild in my area, so as mine are in a box planter is there anything I can do to overwinter them?
Or should I make my poor hubby bring in the whole planter inside in the fall?

I'm dieing laughing because I finally bothered to look up the pretty annuals I bought for my planter and they are:
- nicotiana (yes, another nightshade)
- snap dragons and
- salvia (a psycotactive herb, and I was worried about those mushrooms in my veggie garden).

Obviously I need to start researching my plants before I plant!!! :lol: Oh well they're good for the hummingbirds I still can't get to come out of the woods.
Vanessa raising organic vegetables, livestock, wildflowers, and family in zone 5A.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

If you have a sun room they should be fine with a little moisture but otherwise they just might be in the way.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I don't think snapdragons really winter over. I think they just reseed themselves. So each year, although the "wild" plants may be growing in the same area as the previous year, they are completely different plants.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

momo
Cool Member

The winters here are mild enough that the snapdragons aren't killed by frost right away and they tend to get weedy looking but not die. I pull them out and plant cool season annuals in their place to make the garden look better.
Sunset zone 14

nes
Green Thumb

Sorry you're right Kisal they are just reseeding - what can I do to protect the seeds or do I not need to worry about them?

The other option is bringing the whole thing into the porch.
Vanessa raising organic vegetables, livestock, wildflowers, and family in zone 5A.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

You can allow the seed capsules to ripen and dry on the plant. Keep a close eye on them, so that you don't wait too long. (If you wait too long, the capsules will open and the seed will be dispersed.)

When the pods are ripe, pick them and store them in a cool dry place. In the spring, open the capsules and use the seed to replant your container. :)
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?" - Douglas Adams

applestar
Mod

Nes, snapdragons have seeds that you've GOT to get your kids involved in collecting (I realize yours is/are? still small, but will probably still enjoy the experience).
When the seed pods are ready, they "snap" and spatter the seeds around. :cool: It's GREAT fun, whether you actually catch the seeds in your hands (or bags) or not. When I find seeds that are ready to go, I make sure to point them out to the kids to "pop" :D
- nicotiana (yes, another nightshade)
:lol:

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”