lanfrog25
Newly Registered

Help with Petunias

I am a new member. I hope this is in the appropriate forum. I have no prior knowledge of gardening. I am having problems with my Petunias. They are not standing up, but laying over in my flower bed. Have I planted them deep enough. I planted them about two months ago and they have grown quite a bit. I weeded my bed and the weeds were the only thing holding up the flowers. Now they just lay on the ground. Should I replant these into a flower pot? Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Are the plants giving nice blooms? Are their leaves healthy-looking? If so, then the petunias are doing just fine. :)

I have some petunias this year in one of my raised "veggie" beds. They're not the tidiest plant in the world; they do tend to lie down and take it from there. :? I've grown them before, and they were riotously happy with blooms for a good long while, but did it all while lying down on the ground.

If you expect petunias to stand up straight, like hollyhocks, sunflowers, or zinnias, then yes the petunias might look like they're in trouble. But whether in the ground or not, their flowers will end up trailing around...

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

lanfrog25
Newly Registered

Oh thank you for your reply! I was afraid I had done something wrong! My petunias are blooming like crazy and they look healthy. They look dead though since they just lie on the ground. I am so relieved!!! Thank you again:)

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I accidentally bought something called "spreading petunias" this year, and they looked terrible in my planters. :(

I ended up giving them to a friend, who planted them as a temporary ground cover. They worked great for that purpose. I finally found the "Dreams" variety that I like, and they're looking very nice in my planters now. :)

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”