applecountry
Newly Registered

Violas

I have a small strip of violas. They did wonderful this spring, but as the heat has increased this summer, they are slowly shriveling up. I have a few questions that I would appreciate an answer to.

1) The plants originally were shaded by a bush, but the bush is gone and so they are now getting direct sun. It is possible that with the bush they may have done a bit better longer, but I realize the current location is probably not a good one. I would like to transplant them to a shadier location. What is the best way to transplant, if that is possible?

2) If I do not relocate them, is there something I should do that would be beneficial to help them return next year.

3) Can I retrieve seeds from these plants? I understand they are very tiny. Is the seed in the bloom?

4) The plants are in a key part of my garden and they really look terrible right now. Can I just cover them with soil and will they just pop back up later in the summer or next spring?

Thank you.

vintagejuls
Green Thumb

The answers to some of your questions depend on where you are located and what the weather has been like.

Yes, Violas like a filtered sunlight or partial sun and do wilt when the temps get too hot. They are early bloomers so could be done for the season depending upon where you are located.

How often are they getting water? Maybe try trimming and watering a little more. :?
~ Julie

Tomorrow is a new day; you shall begin it well... Emerson

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

My violas continue to bloom throughout the summer, if the plant is in a decent location that receives some shade from the harsh afternoon sunlight. Violas readily reseed. I often place planters near a viola for the seeds to drop in its potting soil. I also place potted violas where I would like some plants to volunteer. I've never tried to save their seed, but the volunteer plants transplant easily to any other location. I love violas, and as a bonus, the blossoms are edible.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”