libael
Newly Registered

HELP! Sowning poppies in the tropics (Most notably Meconopsi

Hello everyone!
I'm new here (this is my first post) and I live in Costa Rica, which is wonderful to grow orchids in (I just need to stick them outside under tree branches) but when it comes to other flowers I am absolutely clueless.

I got this packet of wonderful poppy seeds with a very wide variety (turkish, red coral, hen and chicks, etc) and I have no idea how to start this. Most instructions I have found online take into accound seasons, which we don't have here. We only have two seasons: rain and no rain.

Since I've caught ants carrying poppy seeds away before, so I want to start them in pots or bags first and am hoping it's ok? We have *plenty* of sun and the humidity is around 80% to 100% everyday. Temperatures don't ever drop below 60ºs F.

Now on to the biggest challenge of all: Meconopsis. So far I've read it needs moisture and cool temperatures, and what I've been able to come up with so far is to make a sort of terranium, but colder instead of warmer than its surroundings. Perhaps take a large old aquarium, insulate it, leave one side clear so light can come in, add ice, and then the pots with seeds...I know this sounds crazy, is it???

As you can see....I am clueless and will probably make a lot of mistakes, so if anybody has any words of advice, I would deeply appreciate it.

Thank you all!

PS: What ZONE would Costa Rica be? :?:

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Hot zone! You could try using your fridge that's a cool place but you'd have to rig it so the light stays on or get an ice chest fill it with ice and sit the seeds on top in the sun.

libael
Newly Registered

Hello there, back!
Thank you for your very kind response. I think I will be giving the Meconopsis seeds away to a friend who's mom has a garden high up in the Costa Rican mountains, humid and cold and sunny. We'll see what happens.

How about the rest of the poppies? Red coral and Double black peony for example. Do I just sprinkle them over soil and put them out under the tropical sun and rain?

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”