Brunette2703
Newly Registered

Help! Climber choice for west facing house wall

I would like to grow some kind of flowering climber along the west facing wall of my house. It gets the sun for a few hours in the middle of the day, then for a couple of hours at the end of the day (when its gone round my neighbours house). Ideally I would like it to grow round to the front of the house too but that is north facing and doesn't get any sun at all apart from a quick flash first thing in the morning

I am an enthusiastic but relatively novice gardener and find alot of the websites quite confusing and sometimes contradicting so would appreciate any advice anyone has please :D

Thanks

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

A rose might do well, not the hybrid kind but Hugo roses or the like.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

honeysuckle trumpet vine is quick growing, but not overwhelming and hummingbirds love it. In my garden though I grow all kinds of hummingbird flowers, this one is their favorite. Trumpet creeper is another one hummingbirds like, very hardy and adaptable re conditions. But I made the mistake of planting one next to drainpipe of my house and it is now a few years later swallowing the house whole. Don't plant it on your house (the suckers do damage). It would be good for planting on an arbor if it was a sturdy structure. Clematis and climbing hydrangea should like your part sun conditions and the hydrangea might even tolerate the north side.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”