Just Getting Started

Need a flowering bush or shrub that needs partial sun

I have a spot in my yard near my house that I would like to put a flowering bush or shrub but I don't know what to look for. I was thinking about a Lilac bush or tree but I'm not sure if it will get enough sun. The area only gets morning sun until about 10:30 a.m. I think Lilacs need a lot of sun. Does anyone have a suggestion for me. I live in Cleveland so the plant will need to be a hardy one.

Just Getting Started

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Azaleas and rhododendrons are nice, IMO, although they don't bloom all summer. They also need fairly acid soil. :)

MagnoliaMan
Cool Member

There are a billion varieties of hydrangea. Some bloom different colors in alkaline or acid soil, but almost all like it moist. They thrive in shady situations. Check 'em out.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Not as great a flower but still nice is hollies which take a lot of shade and give an evergreen with winter interest, which is when I jones for plants the most. My front border is perennials, one rose and four hollies and they do great in just the same kind of light you are talking about...

HG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

HG - You have a rose that thrives and blooms on two hours of sun a day (morning sun until 10:30 AM)? :? PLEASE tell me about it, what kind. I have a part sun spot where I would love a rose bush (it's actually afternoon sun after about 1 or 2), but the one I tried there didn't make it, so I decided it wasn't getting enough sun. I've tried to ask around for roses that don't need full sun and haven't found any.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”