invicta
Newly Registered

killing moss

I have moss growing on my shaded asphalt driveway. It seems to be spreading rapidly.......how do I kill this and stop it's growth? :(
Bob

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hi Bob! Welcome to the Forum!
Firstly, the reason for the moss is because it is always in the shade, and never gets the sun or dries out, and moss loves that!
So there are a few organic ways of treating moss with out getting out the scary stuff!
1) Mix Dawn dish soap with water in a spray bottle and spray it. It may take several sprayings, but you will see it turning yellow and dying.
2) Mix bleach and water in a spray bottle and do the same.
3) Use a heat treatment like a weed torch
4) There is a product out called MossMax, put out by Bonide, that is a water based potassium soap spray, that again, you spray on the moss, and watch it die.

The moss will return though, as long as the conditions remain right, so if there is any way of making your driveway a little less shady, it would help.

Hope this helps Bob! :wink:
VAL

invicta
Newly Registered

Thank you Val, I'll try your remedies.........as far as trying to put this area in the sun, I'd have to knock my house down. I don't think the wife would approve! :roll:
Bob

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Yeah, I guess that is a little drastic, though it depends, maybe she wants a new one? :lol:
Glad I could help, and hope it works for you. Stop in again! :wink:
VAL

Anonymous

dude I love moss(it is soooo soft!)send me some I'll take 'em any day!! :D as for killing just use some bleach! :wink:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Yep, bleach would kill it...and anything else it comes in contact with...

Moss is a favorite of mine (it's the Japanese gardener in me) but I can see where it would be less that desirable on a driveway. Liming or spraying with a baking soda solution would be a much safer way to get rid of that moss, and as for a long term cure I like Val's less shade cure, and might I suggest resurfacing the driveway. A smooth, finished surface is MUCH less likely to give a good home to those first few spores...

HG

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”