adobo

I'm not sure if its right to revive this old thread rather than create a redundant topic..

I also love morning glories. Actually I'm obsessed with them especially the Japanese MGs.

is there a perennial morning glory out there given if grown in a location without frost...?

zmikers
Newly Registered

I have just bought a few morning glory plants, but have a question. I have them in containers and hung them over the side of my balcony as I live on in a rooftop apartment. Will Morning Glory do well hanging down the side of a wall or do they need to be climbing? Thanks in advance.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

adobo wrote:I'm not sure if its right to revive this old thread rather than create a redundant topic..

I also love morning glories. Actually I'm obsessed with them especially the Japanese MGs.

is there a perennial morning glory out there given if grown in a location without frost...?
Morning glories self-seed so...exuberantly...that they may as well be perennial in mild-winter areas. Be careful: they can become invasive!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

zmikers wrote:I have just bought a few morning glory plants, but have a question. I have them in containers and hung them over the side of my balcony as I live on in a rooftop apartment. Will Morning Glory do well hanging down the side of a wall or do they need to be climbing? Thanks in advance.
I've seen them climb up guy wires to power poles and then horizontally on the wires. At my former house, the morning glories climbed up an old wooden fence, up the garage wall, across the garage roof, down the other garage wall, and then across the neighbor's fence. They were very happy morning glories!

I'd be more worried about them drying out in a hanging container than anything, especially when just starting out. They don't need lots of water, but be sure to monitor the soil. It's easy to forget to monitor the soil of hanging containers, as many of our members have testified. :(

Cynthia

zmikers
Newly Registered

Fair enough, the good thing is thery're just above waist level in a basket hanging over the edge of the railing so I can keep a good eye on them. I spend at least an hour a day on my rooftop balcony with all of my other plants; Lady palms, ferns, daisies, red tip photineas, bougainvelleas, chinadolls, assorted herbs and tomato plants, so I'll definitely keep an eye on them too.

So, you think that as long as the soil is ok, the morning glories should be ok hanging down the side of the balcony wall?

PS. I'm currently living in Taipei, Taiwan where the temps are already hitting 27C (85F) and rising daily. Also, my balcony is covered with a frosted glass roof so the light is not too intense but still bright.

Thanks for the advice so far......... :D

zmikers
Newly Registered

Sorry, I have on more question about morning glories. I live in Taipei, as I stated above, so I believe it's zone 11. It never frosts, and temperatures MAY dip down to 10C (50F) in the winter. Will morning glory continue to grow and bloom all year'round in this climate, or will in die off due to temperature change?

PS, it does get a little windy and cold on my balcony as it is N/NE facing.

Thanks again! :D

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

"Zone 11" conveys no information about how hot it gets during the summer. Morning glories are pretty sturdy vines, but they aren't tested to any extremes here in the Bay Area. My part of the Bay Area may see temps in the 90s F (30s C) regularly, but almost never 100 deg F (38 deg C), so I don't know for sure whether they'll last through such heat.

Maybe other members from normally hot climate zones can tell us?

Cynthia

brownthumb-babe
Newly Registered

This may have already been answered but since it's a topic about morning glories I figured this would be the right place to put it. :?:

I'm pretty new at this whole gardening thing - as my username states, I have a brown thumb and I'm hoping to turn it into a green thumb. This is my second year with my own, very small herb garden (only 5 herbs) and my first year growing morning glories. -helpsos-

So I have some fabulous morning glories growing on a trellis on the front / side of my house but they seem to be dying. I've gotten a few flowers out of them but other than that, it's mostly leaves and the weird part is that the roots seem pretty sturdy but the middle of the vines are starting to lose their leaves and turn brown. I can't remember how long ago we planted the flowers - at least a year.

I hit it with some all-plant miracle gro a few weeks back and it didn't seem to do much. They're pretty neglected and from what I've read, MGs need to be neglected in order to grow.

Anyone have any ideas on how to help?

Also, I started some seeds in a small container and they've started sprouting. Is now the right time to move them? The packet said that they'll get about 6 feet. Right now, in the container, they're in some mulch / planter mix soil. The mulch does a good job of hanging on to the water so when I transfer my MGs, should I pour some of the mulch in there, too? :?:

If anyone can help me on this, that'd be so great. :D

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”