dandrewsca
Newly Registered

Anyone know what this is?

This plant started growing in my front garden a month or so ago. It gets a huge white flower then when it falls off the prickly ball grows. Help please and Thankyou.
Dan
Okay next question - how do you add a picture?

dandrewsca
Newly Registered

Okay a bit better discription. The leaves look similar to that of an Oak tree and the spikey ball that grows I am assuming is a seed pod of some sort. I grew all on its own, originally I thought it was an Oak tree and thought I would move it into the back yard this fall and let it grow but it sure is not an oak tree. The white flower looks like a long cone that flares out at the end. The flower only stays for 1 or 2 days then falls off, the flower starts in a small pod and within 4 or 5 days it has gone from a bud, to the flower and then falls off and the spikey pod grows. Hopefully someone can help. If anyone lets me know how to post a picture I will be glad to post it for everyone to see. I am assuming it is some type of weed but I don't want to pull it up until I find out for sure. If you want me to send a picture to you via email just send me a quick note.
Thanks
Dan
dandrewsca@yahoo.ca

dandrewsca
Newly Registered

Thanks but I have found out it is Datura. And apparently I don't want it in my garden can be very dangerous for the kids.
Thanks

kitty3
Newly Registered

I think you have a night blooming lilly. I had these before but sent most of the seeds to someone in Maine. the few seeds I kept didn't grow and I miss them. They have a very big white flower that looks like a lily and they bloom after the sun is down. They close up when the sun comes out. I tried to find them on the internet but could'nt not knowing their real name. The spiky pods are full of seeds and they usually come back on their own.

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

Welcome from your neighbour in Michigan! Wow, you must be in Southern Ont., if Datura grows unassisted in your yard. Most of us have to grow it in pots and move it indoors for the winter! But you're right, all parts of the plant are poisonous if ingested, so with small kids might not be best to keep it.

cherlynn
Cool Member

Welcome to the forum, Dandrewsca!

I'm glad that you were able to identify your plant!

The Webmaster does a terrific job of explaining how to post photos at this link:
[url]https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3724[/url] :clap:

wingdesigner
Super Green Thumb

"might not be best to keep it." However, I bet there are dozens of folks here who would love to give it a new home should you decide to offer it up for "adoption"...

Franco

"might not be best to keep it." However, I bet there are dozens of folks here who would love to give it a new home should you decide to offer it up for "adoption"..
I am a perfect candidate indeed :P.

Are they really poisonous? I just thought they had some "side effects"

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”