Christian1971
Cool Member

Using Wooden Posts

I have 20 wooden posts, dug into the soil, each approx 6" in diameter, about 3.5' tall, spaced 5' to 6' apart.
Thick rope goes from one post to the next etc.
Rather than buying stakes, can I use a post to support a dahlia. Or is the post a hinderance for growth?

tomato boy
Newly Registered

It should be fine just make sure when tying up you don't strangle the plant or leave it too loose where it might rub and break

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

When I had dahlias, they didn't seem to fall over but I hadn't had them long before I moved. So I don't know if they are different then over things. But I tend to use anything that is close by to stake to for other things and have had no problems. I say go for it.

applestar
Mod

Are these posts arranged in a line?
If curved line/bed one idea would be to use them to string a sort of a spiderweb or net-like string support for the flowers to grow through. If they are in a straight line, you could put up support stakes on the other side or where convenient. Screw eyes or protruding screw heads on the posts may be better anchors.

Depending on color of string (should be kind that doesn't sag -- could be wire) and height and foliage growith pattern (don't grow dahlias so I'm not familiar) the support could be made relatively inconspicuous.

Rairdog
Green Thumb

Florida weave with yellow mason line. Mine is going on it's third season left out full time.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”