pinksand
Greener Thumb

Fall Mulching - what to use?

Okay, so I've been researching the topic as much as possible and now I'm all sorts of confused about what type of mulch I should use.

My parents always used cedar in the front and hardwood in the back (not sure why, maybe the hardwood is cheaper?). I had no idea there were so many mulching materials out there... shredded leaves, compost, dyed mulches, chips, double shredded... ahhhhhhh!

I read something about deforestation of cedar down South, well okay I guess I won't be using that! I don't think I have enough leaves to mulch with, but could maybe take a trip into the woods by my house with my wheel barrel in a month or so when the leaves really start to fall. But then does it blow away or wash away in the rain?

I'm planning on composting, but obviously don't have anything to use yet. I can have compost delivered from a local nursery but he said it is bagged. Do you think it's any good? He also said it won't prevent weeds. My thought was to layer newspapers and then mulch, but will the bulbs not be able to pop through come Spring?

I have to admit I do like the look of a nice dark bark mulch and I like that it lasts and helps prevent weeds, but would like something that also nourishes the soil. I'd ideally like something attractive that also provides nutrients... does that not exist?

Any thoughts or opinions. I feel like I've just been bombarded by info and need some help weeding through it ;)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

The bark/ wood mulch is fine for around trees and shrubs, which benefit from the carbonaceous/ fungal environment. Flowers and especially veggies benefit from "greener" more nitrogen rich mulch. Grass clippings are great for this, pulled weeds work, other kinds of garden trimmings. Fall leaves are great mixed in with the green stuff. Your woods will be a good source. Since I don't have that, I just drive around the neighborhood and bring home yard waste bags full of other people's fall leaves. I use them for mulch and also for browns/ carbon in the compost pile. So all year I gradually feed them into my compost pile, mixed in with green stuff (kitchen scraps, weeds, etc).

pinksand
Greener Thumb

I'm sorry I forgot to mention it is for my flower beds. I have PLENTY of grass clippings I can use. Should I wait until they turn brown?

Would I use the same thing in Spring or is there something more attractive that I could use? Are any of the bark mulches that you recommend?

I picked up a free compost bin from our county office today! Yay, I'm pathetically excited over it :)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

When I was working with my brother in the landscape business we used a product called Garden and Bloome Soil building compost. We not only mixed it into the native soil ,but mulched with it.

This video tells you all about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zVEmpAZXDA

Eric

mscratch

I am going with what I have right in the yard and woods this year..pine needles and leaves..we moved to a rural area this past summer and I can no longer tote humongus bags of mulch anyhow..I find I actually prefer the look of the pine needles covering the flower beds and mainly its free for a change!

pinksand
Greener Thumb

I ended up going with grass clippings from the most weed free part our lawn that I've collected and let dry. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I won't end up with massive weed growth come Spring.

Thanks DDF for the recommendation! I think I'll give that a try in the Spring.

Return to “Flower Gardening & Garden Design”