pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

pepperhead212's 2024 garden

I'm way behind, as far as outdoor planting, due to the excessive rain I've had in the last several months. It is still raining (over 3" forecast for this week, until Friday), and it is much cooler than it normally is at this time, after the 70+ days I had a couple of weeks ago. During that time, when I had some decent weather, I pressure washed my deck, and a bunch of other things, and stained the deck up to about 90% of it; rain and cold weather forecast, until about 3 weeks later, so I'll finish it then, or after I finish planting.

Since my friends that I was going to have Easter dinner with got sick, I started doing some other things, though I didn't have much to do in the garden. The weather was nice out Friday, except for the fact that it was VERY windy, so I couldn't really do the stuff I was hoping to. So instead, I did some cleaning up on the back porch, then later I went down in my workshop, and made 2 more of those SIPs, using those inexpensive 18 gal tubs I got at Ollie's. I made 2 of them last year, but still had one I hadn't started using, because one of the old and cracking SIPs made it through one more season. I used that as the pattern, and it only took about 3 hours to make 2 of those, though I already had the columns from two that I took apart, before throwing away cracked containers. Those re-used support and wicking columns save a lot of time, and I still have enough of those for 2 more SIPs.

ImageMade 2 more Sub-irrigated planters, using the bottom one I made a while ago as the pattern. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageAlmost finished SIP, just needing the screens cut. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished SIP, with the screens in place. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Saturday, the weather got a little better, at least not too windy early on, and no rain (fortunately, it didn't rain until late), so I did something today that I was going to to Friday, that I put off to Saturday, because of that wind - re-potted my curry tree, which was starting to get some bad branches, plus that stickiness on some of the leaves, otherwise, I would have waited until May, when I could leave it out, once re-potted (has to stay over 50°). The bay laurel seems to get that at this time of year, maybe because of the increased daylight? Whatever it is, I just took it out and rinsed the leaves off, and let it dry, then started re-potting. I got a laugh out of a neighbor, who was watching me when I was starting out, and later she came over and said she "had to ask" why I was beating the pot the plant was in. I explained to her that the pot was fiber, and the root ball was almost solid roots, which is why I was re-potting it, and I had to remove the "pot". This was really the only way to do it - after a few times, I'll just cut it off, but this pot is relatively new, and I'm relatively cheap! And the plant must enjoy this, as I think it's at least 13 years old now. :lol:

I cut most of the root ball off, leaving about a 3 qt sized ball left, and that is a 12 gallon pot it's in, so at least 10 gallons of soil! I made it almost like I make seedling mix, but added some organic potting soil I got cheap, that has some worm castings in it, and added a bunch of perlite and granular DE, and a little of that micorrhyzae, and watered the top with some Bt israelensis, like I always do. I also "painted" the cut stems, and the large cut roots with that "liquid electric tape" I get at Harbor Freight - faster drying, and longer lasting, in my experience, than the stuff made for plants, which separates, and doesn't work as well. Amazingly, that plant has several areas of new growth when I looked at it around 3 pm Monday.

Something I'm doing this year with pepper seeds, to see how it works out, as well as save myself some time and energy, is something I did a few years ago with eggplant seeds, after which they grew so fast that they were ready to go out before the weather was ready! I have to re-pot them in larger pots, but time will tell if the peppers grow too fast. But I used to start all the seeds in that strip tray of vermiculite, and, while they started quickly, I had to transfer every one of them to the pots, and this was good, when growing as many peppers as I used to, as I had no other way to keep seeds for so many varieties warm! I "only" have 12 varieties this year, and with the eggplants growing so well the last several years in those Jiffy pellets, and I can fit them all in one tray, I figured that I'd try this. I have a heat mat, that 2 trays fit on, but I'll start them in my kitchen (on 4-1, after overnight soaking in KNO3 solution), in the same spot - on that warm griddle, with the pilot lights under it, keeping it warm all the time. I'll test the temp beforehand, as always, and tweak the temp, to get the tray ready for the seeds. When they start appearing, I'll move it to the heatmat in the plant room, under the lights.
ImageTrays with Jiffy pellets, for planting eggplant and pepper seeds in. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

That tray with the space for the 18 pellets, is a tray I bought chicken thighs in! lol I knew it would be good for some gardening job! This year I'll be planting the eggplant seeds even a little later - the first year, starting in the pellets to save space, the plants were ready much earlier than the weather was, and each season I've been planting them a few days later, and last season, on 4-1, they were still slightly too early, so I'll try 4-3 this year. And same with my tomatoes, planting on 4-6, as they have also been almost too large too soon, since the early May has been quite cool the last few years, after hot Aprils! Better to be slightly too small, than to be ready too soon, and flowering.

I soaked the pepper seeds Sunday night, then planted them today in these pellets. Tomorrow night eggplant seeds get soaked, then planted Wednesday, and Friday night tomato seeds (22 varieties this year) get soaked, and planted Saturday. It's that time again!

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

My first pepper seed sprouted today, after just 4 days! It is one of the Thai Dragon seeds. I moved the tray upstairs, to under the light, and I'll have to adjust that heat mat to keep them around 85°, like when they were over the pilot lights.

And I just got my tomato seeds soaking overnight, and they will be planted tomorrow morning.
Image21 tomato varieties, and one tomatillo, set to soak overnight. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

applestar
Mod

You got your system down! Fun times ahead! :wink:

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I just saw another pepper peeping through this morning - turns out it was one of those Hanoi markets, which usually aren't some of the faster ones. Those Thai Dragon ones are all the way up, with their fake leaves spread out, so I turned another light on - still one more left on the eggplant side, where I haven't seen any sprouts yet.

Two more peppers up, when I went up to get something later, and had to look again - a Thai vesuvius, and a Big Mic. 4 of the 12 varieties in just 6 days.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Today, besides straightening up, and getting ready out there, for when those things just starting up inside will be going out (these few weeks fly by quickly! :ohmy:), I also direct seeded some herbs (dill, cilantro, and parsley, again), and greens (a couple brassicas, and the lettuce). I also planted a clump of marjoram - something I had in a Jr EB on my back porch, along with a cutting of the Syrian oregano, both of those I had, along with that rooted rosemary, just in case it got excessively cold, and killed the outside plants. The marjoram outside didn't even die back, winter was so mild, and this cutting spread to about a 6" cluster, and when I removed it from the EB, to clean out the soil, and top it off, I just dropped this in a pot, under the table I was working on out there last weekend, and it grew even more, with all that rain! I hate to throw anything like that away (and nobody I know would use that), so I just planted it in an area I will let it spread as a weed, like that area I have all those garlic chives in! :lol: I'll see how long it takes to spread.

That garlic is going crazy, with all that rain! I'm glad I chose to plant it in the raised bed again this rear - not sure if it would have done as well without the drainage, and all this rain.

Not a hint of scapes, but coming soon.
ImageGarlic, doing great, after that excessive rain I've seen having. 4-7 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

imafan26
Mod

Nice. I don't grow bulbing onions because I don't have the space for them. I do grow bunching onions and leeks which are more useful, live longer and take up considerably less space. I appreciate very much your ability to get nice onions in your climate.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Actually, most of my onions I grow as scallions, starting with onion sets, some of which I get at Asian markets, when they have bags of "pearl onions", for 99¢. And I got a bunch of onion sets at Ocean State Job Lots, at 40% off. I plant them 2" apart, maybe a dozen every 2 weeks, to get them coming to size gradually. And if there are more than I need, I harvest every other scallion, so I can let it bulb up, though nothing huge. And in that garlic bed, the few empty spots, where the cloves didn't produce, I pushed a purple onion set in, to get a scallion, and the purple helps ID them easily.

Today, I almost finished staining my deck, something I had to put off, due to all this rain and cold weather I've been having. I can't totally finish it tomorrow, because there may be some rain later Wednesday, and the next 3 days (back to that again!). I think I'll be mowing my lawn tomorrow, otherwise, I'll have to wait until after all that. And hopefully, that 70+ temp will dry out the grass soon.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I got two eggplants sprouting today, after 5 days - the long purple, and matrosik. A couple more peppers, but still no tomatoes, after just 2 days.

imafan26
Mod

That's great. I can't really grow too many temperate bulbs in zone 12b. My days are too short for them to bulb up and most of the things in the stores are long day varieties. I usually can only plant seeds in September if I want to grow them. Scallians, leeks, and chives are perrennial for me so they work a lot better.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Yesterday morning, I still had no tomatoes sprouted, but one tomatillo. When I was done outside yesterday, I went upstairs to clean up, and of course, I had to look to see if any more seeds had sprouted. lol At 6:30 pm, there were 4 of the tomatoes sprouted - Napa Rose, Sunsugar (always one of the first), Genuwine F1, and Superfantastic. I also noticed that all 3 of the tomatillo pots have at least one sprout in it. The tomatoes are on their way!

Overnight, I had 8 more varieties sprout, plus some of the previous varieties had more. Green Brandy, Negro Azteka, Ron's Carbon Copy, Rosella, Early Blue Ribbon F1, Mountain Rouge F1, Primary Colors Angora, and Pruden's Purple Pink are the 8 new ones to sprout, and some of the earlier ones have all of their pots filled, some with the 2 seeds I planted in them. Just over half the varieties have sprouted, and well over half the pots have sprouts in them.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Yesterday, I harvested some of my spearmint, to make my first mint tea of the season. Just a bunch of 3-4" stalks - not a lot of flavor, at first, but I always look forward to starting to get that mint! And soon, I'll have enough of the peppermint, to start using in Indian dishes.
ImageFirst harvest of the spearmint, for the first mint tea of the season. 4-10 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

The main thing I did in the garden today was setting up the drip irrigation lines in my garlic bed, and the mint bed. I tested them, to make sure there were no unwanted leaks, then shut them off, as I definitely won't be needing them soon! I set my leaf cutter bees house up again - too early to order any, but I'll watch to see if any show up on their own. I finished outside just in time, as it started raining hard around 3:30 pm.

One thing I did I forgot about - I put my rain gauge back up. I put new batteries in it, and figure I'll probably get some readings on it tonight! No more lows even close to freezing forecast, so I put that in, and started with the drip irrigation system, too.

Around 4 pm today I had 7 more tomato varieties sprout, some of them in all 3 or 4 of the pots I put them in! All of the cherries (or other small varieties) have started, and all but 3 of the rest of the varieties have appeared.

Bronze Torch F1, Juliet F1, and Zluta Gold Kytice were the last of the small ones, and Amish Gold Slicer, Atomic Fusion, Beefmaster F1, and Green Giant are the others that have come up since this morning.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

It looks nice out today, but was much cooler, and incredibly windy, so I only went out briefly for a couple things, so I went down to do some things in the hydroponics (which I've been ignoring lately, with all the other things). The Russian red kale I had to pull out, as it was growing into the lights, but I got a bunch more greens from that one plant. The wasabina mustard greens plant had a bunch more, too, but that one sort of spreads out, rather than going straight up, branching out more every time. I also pulled the one leaf lettuce that still hadn't bolted in over 5 months, and I got a huge amount of leaves from it for salads. I'll have some outside soon, so I don't need this anymore. And I trimmed a bunch from the basils - didn't use any of this (and there's still a lot more), but this will trigger the plants into some new growth, which I need for starting cuttings - the easier and faster way to start plants for outside, than starting with seeds. Same with the epazote. I also re-filled the tubs, which were low, due to those large greens, and ignoring them, as I noted. I also added a little nutrients - a little low, but surprisingly not much, after all those greens and herbs!
ImageA large bunch of greens from the Russian red kale and wasabina mustard greens, from the hydro. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageHad to finally pull out the Russian red kale in the hydro, as it was growing up in the lights. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

imafan26
Mod

I haven't used my SIP in a long. time. I probably need to set up another one. My old one has been recycled.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Those Swiss chard are still getting large - surprisingly not a hint of bolting yet, but as soon as they show that, I'll harvest all of them, as those spots get other plants in them soon.

Here are those Swiss chard plants, out front, that I planted sometime last fall, harvested a bunch then, before they sort of died back (but not really), then took off again in the winter, due to mild temps.
ImageTwo of the Swiss chard plants from last fall. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageThe largest and the smallest of the Swiss chard plants, from last fall, on 4-18. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

And there's no stopping that garlic! Do any other garlic growers remember back when the garlic would be planted around Halloween, even earlier farther N, but the garlic wouldn't even show, just grow underground some, as the ground would freeze? It would show up, around early March, before taking off! This stuff grew all winter long! But there's no global warming...:lol:
ImageGarlic growing great, with all that rain. 4-18 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Nice day today, would have reduced the wind a little, for a perfect day. I got a lot done out there today, getting the tarps off those SIPs , and getting them in their spots for the season, though I didn't level them, or "refresh" them yet. A few of the plastic covers on them need replaced (hard to believe how many years some of that lasts!), and I save a lot of those heavy plastic bags from things like peat, to make them with. The ground was very muddy in areas still, due to all the rain lately, but there is none forecast until next Wednesday, so maybe the sun will dry it out some. I'll get more done tomorrow, though it is supposed to be much cooler for a few days.
ImageGetting garden almost ready for those tomatoes (and a few other things). 4-20 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

applestar
Mod

Wow pepperhead, this might be the first time seeing the “entire garden” view. Looks like you’re making use of “every inch” of it, and we’ve seen how much food you manage to grow!

It’s inspiring! Looks great!

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Thanks apple - that's actually not the entire garden; the S side and front of the house has the peppers and okra, plus those mints in that other side of the front, and some herbs in a small raised bed behind the deck. Then there's that "weed herb" patch behind the shed, mostly garlic chives, that spreads like wildfire! I also have a fig tree back there - second year for it, and getting good leaves on it quickly.

I made those new new SIPs for this season, as two of the large ones cracked at the end of last season, but I only had to set up one of them - I think I replaced one of those at the end up the season, to grow a few late crops, while tomatoes were still growing. I might be able to put one more in, because one of the small ones got a crack in it at the end of the season, so instead of making another small one (though eventually I will, since the upper part is still good - just have to replace the 5 gal), I'll just put a large one in another spot, where I had mapped out for 3 buckets, use one of the buckets next to it, and put that other bucket in another, slightly larger spot.

Yesterday morning I set some seeds to sprout, that I had soaked in GA3 overnight - two types of bottle gourds, a bitter melon, and a winter melon. Today I'll do this with the okra seeds, which are also helped by the GA3.

imafan26
Mod

If you had a late start. I really am late. It is past time to start my second planting. Your spearmint is different from mine. Mine has green stems, not purple. I have never had chard or kale bolt. They just rot and die.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

That Swiss chard is a biennial, like parsley, and usually dies back in the winter, then in the spring, bolts very soon after coming back. I'm thinking that maybe these didn't completely die back, and maybe that's why it hasn't gone to seed. The parsley definitely didn't die off over the winter, but that is going to bolt soon.

Today I got a bunch done, topping off the SIPs, and replacing the tops on I think 4 them. Just the dozen buckets left, plus the peppers and okra, which are later things. In fact, I soaked the okra overnight, and set it to sprout. And on checking those seeds I have sprouting, I couldn't believe that 3 of 6 of those bitter melon seeds have sprouted (and that was this morning, only about 1½ days, and those things are notoriously slow, and low % to germinate. The winter melon has one barely sprouting, and the others had at least one with a hint of a sprout, but not as good as the bitter melon.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I just turned on my oscillating fan in my seedling room, to help strengthen them. The tomatoes are growing fast now, and the tomatillos are, too. And something I probably didn't mention, when discussing the small amount of fertilizer in these things is the silica fertilizer, from the hydroponics, which helps strengthen the stems - something that definitely worked when I first used it with the tomatillos, which I used to have trouble with, and had to stalk them, from early on. With the silica, I haven't had the problem since. Only about 1/2 tsp of the solution is needed per gallon of water, every time watering.
ImageOne of the 2 trays of tomato seedlings, after about 2 1/2 weeks from planting. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

imafan26
Mod

I don't have a frost. Kale, chard , perpetual spinach, cutting celery, eggplant, peppers, and the majority of my herbs just grow throughout the year. I don't really know how long they live. Some have been over 4 ft tall so they must have been over two years, some may have been about a year and a half. If it rains too much they rot or the water gets in the cut stems they rot. I have grown onions, but I don't have the kind of space you do and the onions don't keep well in my hot and humid climate and they are relatively cheap to buy, so I don't often try to plant them. I am growing carrots now. I usually only do that when I get free seeds. I am still waiting.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I transplanted those eggplant seedlings, just dropping the pellets into the larger pots (18/tray) - I could already see the growth on them overnight!

Here is one of those trays of tomatoes last night, and a top view this morning, showing these things after soaking overnight on 4-6, and starting all of them on 4-7. If started on 4-1, like I used to, they would have been ready too soon!
ImageTomato seedlings, 20 days after starting, 4-26 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageTop view of one of the tomato trays, 4-27, 3 weeks after starting seeds. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I did put them out later today, and will leave them out, as it is supposed to stay in the 50s tonight (unlike the mid 30s I've been getting lately!), and the wind is very low, fortunately. I'll get up early, and get the trays out of the sun, into a shady area.
ImageStarting to harden off the tomatoes and tomatillos. 4-27 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”