imafan26
Mod

Re: Imafan's 2024 Garden

I called a friend from my orchid club who has rabbits and asked for some rabbit poop. I am going to add it to my worm bin. I may spread it out in other places as well. She gave me half a bucket of rabbit poop with rabbit pee.It is the only cold manure that does not need to be hot composted and can be used fresh. But I am probably going to give some of it away or use it on my ornamentals or fruit trees instead mixed in with either potting soil or compost which ever one I have on hand.

imafan26
Mod

It is 70 degrees. I did get out to water the garden this morning. It is overcast but windy at NNW at 10 mph. I transplanted some lettuce from some pockets in the tower that did not germinate. The lettuce I picked up from the ground looked sad yesterday, but has perked up. I see more of the Bibb lettuce starting to sprout. Most of the peppers have sprouted except cascabella. That is the one that I have a hard time getting seeds for. I am not going to leave the peppers in the tower, most of them will be transplanted to larger containers later. All of the bean pockets except one is growing. Something chewed off the top of the bean in one pocket. I transplanted a lettuce into it. I harvested more snow peas. some of the New Big Dwarf tomatoes are starting to blush. The eggplant and pepper I transplanted into the 20 inch pots are looking good. I still have a lot of veggies and in the frig and yesterday I brought home more eggplant and a mango. I am amassing pea pods and I still have bush beans and some very ripe bananas. I either need to make more smoothies or banana bread.

My worm bin is stuffed. I cut off the older leaves from Tokyo Bekana, Swiss Chard, and pulled out the bush beans. Most of it did go into the worm bin, but I took some of it to the garden along with some kitchen scraps (mostly the midribs of the mustards and chard) and put it in the bucket compost. I did not have room to put any rabbit manure in the worm bin and it will probably smell like ammonia as it is. So far, even though I have stuffed my worm bin, there hasn't been much odor, and the worms can get through a lot of greens fast, they just don't eat the stems of the sweet potatoes and they go through fruits like cucumbers slower.

There are a couple of plant swaps coming up so I need to make space so I can pot up some of the cuttings. And of course there are always he weeds. I have to see if the wind will abate before I round up again. I have another tomato volunteer coming up. I have to find a spot for that one too.

imafan26
Mod

it is 66 degrees now. There is a lot of cloud cover, but it is sunny. The garden is still staying wet for a few days so I only need to water most things every 2-3 days. A few things still need more water like the lavender. It can go two days, but not three. I may have to pot it up again. None of the ginger or tumeric are up yet. It is not unusual for ginger, but it is rare that turmeric is not up. I will have to check to see what is going on with the root. I only had small pieces so it may be the problem. It is taking me a couple of hours to warm up before I can go outside. My New Big Dwarf tomato was really tasty despite the fact that I waited too long and it was over ripe. I have two more to harvest, along with more Chinese peas. I need to harvest the cilantro soon, one of the older ones looks like it is trying to go to seed. The romaine lettuce seems to have hit a growth spurt.

I have Lion's head and potato mac salad in the frig. ( I gave in to my cravings and made potato mac salad yesterday). I still have half the won bok, snow peas, lemons, and eggplant (from the garden) in the refrigerator and one mango. The bananas will be going to the worms, they are totally black and soft now.

The crepe myrtle looks better but 2 of my roses have lost their main canes. Of course the weeds have been enjoying the weather too.

The coffee, citrus, osmanthus (Kwai Fah), and ohia are all starting to bud up and bloom. The pink quill tillandsia is also blooming. This is one of the newer ones I got. The older ones I have had for years and they don't bloom. I think they are probably old plants so they never will.

I will need to reseed the garden chives and garlic chives in the tower or seed more green onions instead. I have to get more soil to work on the other tower and pots. I don't know where I am going to put the old soil.

imafan26
Mod

The cilantro is ready to harvest 39 days from sowing ( Jan 14.2024). The original sowing of cilantro is going to seed now. My sister came and got some today to make pastele stew. She also found my new plant, a blue juniper, I bought yesterday at the Kunia Sale and I told her I just bought it so she couldn't have it.

I came home tired on Saturday, so I only unpacked what I had to. I unpacked the rest of the car today. Three flowers were broken, but I don't think I lost anything. I even managed not to lose my dust pan. I did have to cut off the broken sprays of the flowers. I got around to watering the front yard, but I did not get around to the back. It has been three days since I last watered. It has been cool and windy but there has been a few light showers so the soil is not dry. I have clay and in this weather it can remain wet for a long time. The clover and baby's tears are dying, but I will have to hit it again with glyphosate, there is still some green. These things will come back if even a node survives.

Tomorrow, I will have to water the back yard. I have a plant share coming up in two weeks. I can cut some ti. It needs thinning. If I have the time, I can harvest the worm castings and bring some of that to the share. Right now, I am so tired it all seems so ambitious.

I did get some laundry done, and the robots vacuumed the floor. I put some things away but not all of it. After working in the kitchen for the last 4 days. I went and got a plate lunch and dim sum, so I would not have to cook for at least a couple of days. It will take me a couple of more days to recover. Right now my back and knees are both on strike.

imafan26
Mod

The bib lettuce I planted Feb 23 is at the stage when I can start harvesting outer leaves. The Salad bowl isn't doing much. The peppers have gotten a little bigger. The beans also look pretty good, but have not flowered yet. The new eggplant is looking good and the chili pepper I cut back has lots of new growth. The pak choy may be starting to flower. I am still harvesting a few snow peas every couple of days.

The green onions I planted in the 6 inch pots look big enough to divide. I will be able to give my sister one of the divisions. The garlic chives have all recovered from the aphids. I have a few more lettuce volunteer seedlings to transplant.

I picked two small New Big Dwarf tomatoes yesterday.

I am planning to make cabbage soup tomorrow. I can put the tomatoes in the soup. I have to come up with a stir fry for the snow peas and Asian cabbage.

I will need to pick up more potting soil to redo the other tower.

I gave the potted peppers dolomite lime ( it will take almost a year for it to change pH), kmag, and nitrogen. Some of the peppers and even the cucumbers look better. As old as the cucumbers are, they are still trying to make cucumbers. The araimo and Bun Long taro have thrown keikis. The araimo mothers are starting to rot. I will have to dig them out. I have a lot of things to cull off the benches. There is a lot to do. I just have to get to it.

applestar
Mod

Wow, you really are busy! I know sometimes everything happens all at once and the chores seem endless…. You can do it!

One little task at a time as you feel up to it,.. and one big project … then give yourself a reward by doing something you WANTED to do, not necessarily what you HAVE to do. :wink:

imafan26
Mod

Thanks Applestar. I did get out an water the front and back today, so now, they should be back on their regular watering schedule.

The beans in the tower look like they are starting to form buds.

I did make the soup this morning and I watered the yard while it was simmering. I ended up not adding the tomatoes to the soup, but I have a lot of soup now.
The cucumbers and peppers definitely needed the fertilizer boost. The cucumber leaves are greener and bigger and the aconcagua pepper has put out a new pepper and new leaves. Now, I just have to figure out the right amount of fertilizer and how often. I added dolomite to the fertilizer I gave. It is not going to work immediately, but the pH is so low in the pots I have to start somewhere. The potassium should also raise the pH, but it can make the magnesium and zinc deficiencies worse down the line.

I picked about 4 lbs of calamansi and gave it to my friend.

imafan26
Mod

I finally go around to watering the yard after 4 days of no real rain. I fertilized the cucumber, tomatoes, peppers while I was at it. I had bagged cucumbers a few days ago and sprayed Bt and the cucumbers are now more than ready to be picked. One was turning yellow, so it was culled. One had pickle worm damage but was salvageable. In all I harvested 5 cucumbers for a total wt of 2405 gms. I had the damaged one for dinner. The damage must have been recent, it wasn't bitter.

Yesterday, I picked all of the butter crunch lettuce and took most of them to share with the others at the garden and I got a bunch of mulberries, a mango, and a bag of eggplant in return

My newer peppers are looking pale yellow all over. I gave them dolomite lime, k mag, and nitrogen. I may have to bring them out of the netting and give them a complete fertilizer. I cannot do that in the garden because the garden cannot get any additional phosphorus. Some of the smaller pepper seedlings need to be potted up as well.

New Big Dwarf is putting out new shoots from the base. I cut the older ones off and fertilized with dolomite, kmag, and sulfate of ammonia. It is not showing any deficits now. I just have to feed it because it is in a pot. I fed the cucumber again. It is flowering and there are many finger long baby cukes. I will have to wait until they are a little bigger before I can bag them. I will need to Bt them again.

I repotted the bonsai back into the training pot. It was looking very bad, the leaves were getting smaller and the pot cannot retain soil. It was hard to repot it, a big chunk of the root came off and it is very heavy so it was hard to wire in. My wire is actually too short for this pot, but I don't want to mess with the plant any more and have more chunks of roots come off. It has rained day and night for 4 days, All of the soil and cinder I put on top has washed off, but the tree did not show signs of transplant shock and the leaves are getting bigger, so I am crossing my fingers that it will be o.k.
Attachments
5 Soarer cucumbers picked today
5 Soarer cucumbers picked today

applestar
Mod

Looking good! I can’t wait until it’s cucumber harvesting season for me here — I found the cucumber fruit molding kit that I’d bought for last summer, but had forgotten where I’d put it. (Heart shape and star shape, I think…)

imafan26
Mod

Those are fun. It works on watermelons and squash too. I grow cucumbers pretty much all year round. My friends and family only like Japanese cucumbers, but I will grow parthenocarpic varieties of more heat resistant cukes in summer like Beit Alpha, Suyo long, Tasty Jade, and Diva. I will grow some other heat tolerant cucumbers like Summer Dance, Southern Delight. These cucumbers are also resistant to fungal disease and some viruses. Temperatures here will be around 88-91 in summer. Most cucumbers will handle 88, but only the most heat tolerant will handle anything over 90. I actually wanted to wait a couple of more days, but they are already too long.

I am glad I did pick them yesterday, because it is pouring rain now.

imafan26
Mod

I had a little more energy early this morning and I got some garden chores done on this sunny morning. I cut back the ajaka basil. All the rain was making the top sag badly. I pulled out some of the bolted pack choy and the Swiss Chard. Picked 309 grams of bush beans from the 5 tier tower garden. I will get a second harvest of beans in a few days. I will probably cook the beans tomorrow. I made some homemade hamburger patties to day and that will last a couple of days.

I went to the first meeting of the newly reorganized cactus and succulent society meeting. So, I have another club to go to. I got a small barrel cactus seedling, an agave division, and a succulent ( I have not idea what it is). Quite a few of the people there are people I know from the garden center and my orchid and bonsai clubs. The speaker talked about the differences between cacti and succulents. I will have to pot up or repot these soon.

I was also able to harvest some of my vermicast, enough to fill a one gallon nursery pot. I also evicted most of the roaches and a few slugs from the bin. I saw some younger worms in the bin. I was planning on buying more worms because I had more old lethargic worms than young ones. I took out the stems of the sweet potatoes from the bin and added more egg crates for carbon. My bin only has one drain hole on the bottom so it stays very wet. I Tipped the bin so it would drain toward the hole better instead of pooling on the other end.

I found a few bugs on the plants. Erineum mites on the neighbor's hibiscus hedge. Mine are protected with imidacloprid, The native hibiscus has some white flies, citrus has some sooty mold and whitefly, the Okinawan sweet potato had leaf hoppers, ( I did spray that with sultur and pyrethrins), I found some white aphids on the underside of one of the basil leaves while I was cutting it, the roses have a little bit of black spot from all the rain, The citrus had some leaf puckering, which is typical of aphids, but I did not really see any, I did see whitefly on the underside of one citrus leaf, The komatsuna has a few leaves that have cabbage aphids. I need to spray the cucumbers again with Bt for the pickleworms. I have to do more scouting now that bug season is here.

There are nutritional deficiencies showing up in the peppers, and it is time to fertilize the citrus since it is flushing again. There are a couple of more cucumbers I need to bag now that they are big enough. The eggplant is flowering.

The strawberries are blooming but I have to open the cover to let the bees in. I am debating whether to take the cover off. It will be attacked by both the rose beetles and the birds.

I have not seen any signs of life from the turmeric or the ginger. It is getting late for them.

I have a garden club meeting tomorrow. I will bring some of my extra tomato seedlings to share. I took cucumbers, Valentine tomatoes, long squash seeds, and spearmint to the plant share last Saturday and I got a couple of lavender seedlings, a bromeliad, a banana, bozu seeds, a green rose cutting, and some lemon grass divisions. This is a good way to get some serendipitous plant finds. It must be tomato season now. A couple of other people brought tomato seedlings too. one was a cherry, the other was a mystery "tomato". Nice talking to the people there.

I went to the Walmart that is 6.8 miles away to get some 5 and 10 gallon containers. I need to pot up more of the peppers. They also had a cheaper potting soil. It is bigger than the Walmart that is 5 minutes away from me and it also had some grocery items my store does not carry.

imafan26
Mod

I got my green cans out just in time. I forgot what day it was. it took longer to fill them. It is not because I don't have anything. It is because I haven't been out in the yard for awhile. It is 67 degrees now and it has been raining overnight. It seems to be stopping now. If it dries up enough later today, I hope to get outside and get more work done.

Most of the citrus trees are putting on new growth. I actually have to trim some of them back to keep them more compact. The weeds are growing again with all the rain. I have a few holes in the main garden now that I have taken out most of the bolted bok choy and cilantro. The peas should come out too. I have to pull the old plants out of the towers as well and decide what to plant next.

While the temperatures are still under 80 in the daytime. it won't be like that much longer. I am thinking of planting okra, roselle, more Swiss chard because that can be grown all year. I think I can still plant more Asian greens for a little longer, they are more heat tolerant. I should be able to get at least another round of bush beans or maybe I will try the long beans again. I had problems with the long beans last year because of pests and disease.

I am debating the corn. My corn will end up being higher than the bird netting and I would have to take it off again. If I can find a shorter corn that works, I might try that instead. I cannot grow any variety of corn. The tropical corn does best.

I could grow some squash even though they take up a lot of space in the garden if I don't have anything else to fill the garden. I could put shiso in the garden although, it will also take a lot of space, the height can be controlled with pruning so it won't be taller than the frame.

I have a few more holes in the bird netting, I have to repair. I am contemplating putting on insect netting instead of bird netting the next time. I am not sure how long the bird netting can last.

I have found out that there is one white cabbage moth that knows how to get inside the bird netting. I haven't caught it yet. I have only been able to chase it out.

I am not sure what to put in the towers. It will soon be too hot to plant anything except the most heat tolerant lettuce. I can put more baby bok in the towers, or plant some flowers. Except for alyssum most of my flowers are tall so they can be out in the pollinator garden. Peppers have done o.k. in the towers. I might try growing some in the tower at least until they get too big and need to be potted up. it will save space for a while. I have had onions and chives in the tower and I may put those back in again now that the black aphids are gone.

imafan26
Mod

It is 71 degrees at 5:15 a.m. and it has been raining most of the night and may continue for a few hours more.

It was a nice day on Monday, April 22, and I got a lot done then. I divided and repotted some of my green onions and I replanted the 6 tier tower. From the top of the tower I have
Top tier: Salad bowl lettuce ( transplanted seedlings from the other tower)
Tier 2: planted Maxibel beans. Two pockets of tendergreen beans
Tier 3: Wailua Pepper (UH jalapeno cultivar) seeds collected from my plants.
1 Red lettuce ( also a volunteer from my lettuce, Shimonita negi
divisions started on 1/30/24,
Tier 4: Revolution bell pepper, Joe E Parker, Touchdown bell pepper
Bottom tier: Divisions of koba green onions.

I amended the soil in the tower with vermicast, dolomite lime, kmag, and 6-4-6 fertilizer. I also added additional peat lite to top off the tiers. Second use of the soil. I hope I won't regret this. Because I have planted seeds of peppers and beans in the tower. I covered the tower with a tree net bag to keep the birds from eating the seeds. The birds were watching. I was hoping to get to the second tower, but I haven't been able to get to it yet.

I also cleaned up a little inside the main garden. I pulled out more of the bolted pak choy, Swiss Chard, and Chinese peas. I pulled a few weeds. I need to get more. I fertilized both towers with MG, and also some of the potted peppers, citrus, tomato seedlings, and citrus trees. It has been raining for a few days over night and I had appointments so I haven't gotten around to fertilizing the rest of the yard. I accidentally knocked over the bougainvillea on the stand and the terra cotta pot broke. I hate it when that happens. I repotted it immediately in a bulb bowl. I lost more of the root, So far, the leaves still look o.k. This is a 30 year old plant and bougies don't really like their roots disturbed so I hope it makes it. It will have to survive on the trunk until new roots form.
Attachments
20240422_104033[1].jpg

imafan26
Mod

The rain stopped after 8 a.m. but it was very windy today. I did get out to harvest 180 g of bush beans ( second harvest) and three cucumbers (1264 g). Both of these are probably the last I will see for a while. There are a few small beans left. I did not get out to fertilize today, but I was able to trim my kokutan hedge. The weeds were growing through it, so it needed it badly. I cut the lettuce from the towers but left the roots and there is a second growth. I think I will be able to harvest a few of the leaves before I pull it out.

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”