Nyan

Nyan's Pitiful Gardening 2023

Hi All,

Been too busy building on to the house this year to do much gardening, so I left a couple of patches in their winter wheat cover crop until they ripened. At least I'll get 3-4 bales worth of straw and some "free" chicken scratch grain...

But in the soft white wheat patch I found some rather strange wheat heads, and I wondered if anyone has seen these before. I couldn't find any pictures of heads like this while doing Bing/Google image searches, so I am lost. The heads are quite a bit heavier than the regular looking wheat heads and have much thicker stems. Some ranged from 6 to 8 rows of grain per head.

Any idea what causes this? (Sorry for the crappy picture, it really doesn't show how rounded these heads are with the extra rows of kernals)
wheat head 6-28-23.jpg

applestar
Mod

Maybe the difference is hard wheat/soft wheat varieties? Or those red wheat varieties?
Wheat — Louisiana Ag in the Classroom
https://aitcla.org/wheat
Sorry to hear you’re not able to give attention to gardening this year. I’ve been there. Sometimes, giving yourself a break is necessary, but then sometimes, growing one little thing in a container… a tiny garden…can satisfy that itch, too.

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”