applestar
Mod

Re: Imafan's 2023 garden

Slugs are so tricky because can get into smaller holes and flatter gaps than you might think.

AFAIK, aluminum foil acts like cheaper alternative to copper, and by crinkling into a ball and then flattening (use leather or other heavy gloves — don’t hurt your hands) sharp ridges are formed to make it uncomfortable for them. Ball up a full sheet and unfold/flatten (not smooth!) THEN cut into strips as desired. Pre-cut strips are hard to flatten and “shrink” in size/area. (Added bonus — cutting aluminum foil helps to sharpen scissors :D )

I still use Sluggo in enclosed spaces and inside secure bait containers to keep out unintended targets. (Am always happy — sigh of relief — to see the worms coming back above ground in spring, showing they haven’t been wiped out….)

You gave me an idea — maybe I’ll try to catch tree frogs and put in the hoophouses…. :()

imafan26
Mod

I know toads and chickens eat slugs, snails and other insects. I have greenhouse frogs, they are very small and they primarily eat ants. You need to find out what kinds of things your tree frogs eat.

Thanks for the foil tip I may try that around some of my containers. Would copper foil work?

applestar
Mod

I didn’t know you could get one, but would imagine copper foil would work even better if made of real copper.

As for the slugs and treefrogs — I suspect you are not picturing the slugs we have here…. Most are found as approx 1/2” lumps that may manage to stretch to skinny 1” …very rarely I might find “big mamas” that are maybe 1.5” long and 1/2” at fattest point, and if they can stretch to 2” long I would be surprised.

So I’m pretty sure even the little treefrogs can manage the baby slugs that usually show up looking like tiny lead pellets in spring, and the larger gray treefrogs would find the more mature ones to be just their size.

imafan26
Mod

Yeah, my slugs are monsters. I am starting to see the small slugs, but I have at least 3 kinds of slugs and the blond ones are up to 3.5 inches long stretched out. African snails are as big as my palm up to 4 inches. I have to hit it with the hoe mattock to break the shell.

Copper grilling mats are sold with the grilling supplies, but they are cheaper on amazon. Copper conducts heat better on the grill. It is more expensive than aluminum foil but easier to find than copper tape. It can also be used as a liner for the oven or air fryer. It is reusable and dishwasher safe. I just have to find out how the copper is applied to the mat and if it still works as a snail deterrent.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:16 pm
Yeah, my slugs are monsters. I am starting to see the small slugs, but I have at least 3 kinds of slugs and the blond ones are up to 3.5 inches long stretched out. African snails are as big as my palm up to 4 inches. I have to hit it with the hoe mattock to break the shell.

Copper grilling mats are sold with the grilling supplies, but they are cheaper on amazon. Copper conducts heat better on the grill. It is more expensive than aluminum foil but easier to find than copper tape. It can also be used as a liner for the oven or air fryer. It is reusable and dishwasher safe. I just have to find out how the copper is applied to the mat and if it still works as a snail deterrent.
Lowe's and Home Depot sells roofing copper is rolls. It comes in several different widths and lengths. 6" & 8" wide x 8' & 10' ' long are very common.

imafan26
Mod

Thanks Gary. I have to look for that. I recently had to replace my rotting fascia board, but the only rolled flashing I found was aluminum. I have seen copper gutters and I do have copper flashing on my balcony when I had to do repairs. I had to paint it to make sure no one would steal it. The balcony was repaired over 15 years ago and my handyman got it. All I remember was that it cost over $600 then.

I may have to go back to copper tape. It is more affordable and easier to work with. I have used it before. It works initially, but when it gets dirty it does not work as well.

The sun was out this morning and it is 79 degrees and humid. 91% humidity. It is becoming more overcast and it is likely to rain again later today or tonight. There is another storm front sitting off to the west of Kauai. Kauai got most of the rain 2.5-4 inches. But Oahu is getting some spotty moisture pulled up in the flow. It makes for humid wet conditions and more mildew. I will have to go out and spray some things with hydrogen peroxide. The seed pots don't like this constant moisture, I may have issues with them. They are on an open bench so I cannot control how much water they get.

I did get to harvest a couple of zucchini this morning. One was about 4 inches the other was around 7 inches. The zucchini had a total wt of 250 g. I can't let them get too big. I have to get them before something else does.

The wild sweet pea currant is growing rampantly and is trying to go through the fence and spreading in my front yard. It seems the wild tomato is much happier than the ones in the pots.

I collected my soil sample to send for testing from the main garden. The soil is cloddy because I did a no no and worked it wet. But that did not just happen yesterday. It has been that way for years. Hopefully the rain holds off for a little while so I can get the garden re-leveled and spread 1 inch of compost on the top. I am using Kelloggs Garden soil. It is not ideal as it still has stuff I don't want like poultry manure or bat guano ( I don't need calcium or phosphorus). But it is the least of all evils to add organic matter. I am only going to do about and inch instead of the 4 inches I usually do. The city compost has 0-52-0 fertilizer added to it. I have steer manure, but it would be worse to add than the Kelloggs garden soil. Like a lot of these organic products, it lists what is in it but not the analysis. It is OMRI listed, but the company does not always disclose what products contain sewage sludge.

Kelloggs' Garden Soil
This product is regionally formulated with organic materials (including one or more of the following: Processed Forest Products, Recycled Forest Products, Arbor Fines, Peat Humus or Compost), Composted Poultry Manure, Rice Hulls, Gypsum, Worm Castings, Bat Guano, Kelp Meal and Organic Fertilizer.

applestar
Mod

Another less expensive possibility might be copper “wool” scrubbies. Those netting types can usually be unraveled into a long “band” and the netting makes it physically uncomfortable for the slugs to crawl over. Amount of actual copper might be minuscule though.

imafan26
Mod

OOO! I just bought a couple of those. If I can remember where I put it, I can try that. Thanks. I caught one snail yesterday but that's all. There aren't as many snails as I used to catch, and the damage is not as bad, I think there are more slugs than snails now. In my yard that seems to be the way that goes I have more of one than the other. The slugs are not in the open as much as the snails so I have to look under things for them.

This morning I went to an onion field day sponsored by the UH extension service.
They did field trials of 19 onions. Next time, I am going to wear my boots instead of shoes. It was really muddy from the rain. The trial was of short short and short intermediate day onions. They were planted in November and their soil test indicated they only needed nitrogen and potassium, so they gave it 9lbs of potassium nitrate through fertigation divided over a six week period. They stopped watering a month ago, but the weather did not cooperate so its been raining and the onion tops are still up. Some of the onions were starting to show signs of rot and they won't keep long. We did get to go through the field and
harvest onions. I got 5 different varieties and some red shallots. I planted the shallots in 3 one gallon containers. The onions were fairly big and I got 2 Plethora, 1 Georgia boy, 1 Sapello and a sweet azalea or a Madalyn ( I did not see the label, so I am guessing based on the planting map and the shape. I picked the biggest onions so my five onions would be about 8-9 store onions. I cut off the tops and hung the onions in an onion bag on the clothesline in the lanai to see if it will dry. A couple of the round onions looked like they were drying. I cut 1 Plethora onion. It was not that pungent because it did not make me tear up. It had a little bit of sweetness but a little bit of pungency as well. I put it in 2 quart bags so I could freeze it flatter. It will be in my omelette tomorrow. I also got a Farmer Fred tomato that was offered. Bonus for my next omelette or salad. The agent (Jensen) said he is going to start the next phase of the onion trial and plant the next set of onions this week and see how they do planted at this time. Part 2 of the series will be in July. His study is about the best of the short day varieties and not about sweetness, but he did a brix test at a point in time. The best one was Sapello. He said Candy which is an intermediate short was very small and the second lowest on the Brix scale. He said he only tested one onion from each variety so it really wasn't about how the onions tasted at that point.

imafan26
Mod

I finally got out this morning to plant the main garden. I only ended up planting UH #9 supersweet corn and provider beans. The provider beans I planted in the container have started to sprout. This is the fastest they have sprouted. I guess they were waiting for the longer days. I also over seeded my now peas in the container. I held off the last couple of days because the rooster was getting closer. As it was the smaller birds were out in the back yard and it is not a good idea to let them see me planting corn.

The rain started pouring just a few minutes ago. From nothing to heavy rain with thunder and lightening. Right on time too. It was expected after 1 p.m. and it started about 1:29 p.m.

imafan26
Mod

It has been intermittently raining for the past few days and overcast. Today, it is drizzling off and on.
Yesterday, it stayed dry for a little while so I did get out to prune roses and fertilize the front yard. The crepe myrtle " Little Chief" was looking bare, but now new leaves are sprouting everywhere. The nasturtiums are blooming, so are the weeds in the grass.

I did not prune all of the roses because I was tired, but I did cut enough things to fill my 2 green cans enough. I did have room for a little more in the second can.

I harvested a zucchini today. The zucchini is producing but I have to harvest the zucchini smaller because I am losing more than half of them to rot. I have a couple of papayas that need to be harvested too.

Yesterday, I harvested some Tokyo Bekana and I had that for dinner last night and with breakfast. I just steamed it in the microwave. I picked a handful of sweet pea currants for the romaine salad.

Telegraph cucumber is producing a lot of cucumber, but they all like to curl. I have some that the pickle worms got to, but I am covering as many of the cukes as I can with fruit bags.

The Provider beans are mostly up and I pulled out the last of the cilantro as it was going to seed.

imafan26
Mod

I got some of the garden replanted on 3/17/23-3/26/23. I finally am getting around to getting some picture updates. There is still more to do. I have several pots to redo and a lot of weeds to take care of. I can only do a little bit at a time depending on the weather and how tired I get. I transplanted out some cucumbers, I have more to go but the pots aren't ready yet. Telegraph is already putting out a lot of fruit. It has been quite resilient even with all the rain. It does not show signs of mildew. I am surprised I was not expecting this from an 1897 heirloom variety. The cucumbers do curl a lot, I don't know if that is part of the plant's genetics or if I can do something about that. Warrior tomato is TYLCV resistant, but I have it in a tree bag anyway. The first tomatoes are forming. I have another container of cucumbers transplanted on 3/17. Those are soarer. The main garden was cleared of the weeds and the broccoli. Forked the bed and took a soil sample. I laid down 1/2-1 inch of Kellogg's garden soil on top and planted seeds of Provider beans and UH #10 corn. UH #10 is a tropical corn and only needs 12 hours of daylight to set. About 80 days. It is a tight husk corn super sweet corn. Yesterday, 4/8/23, when I went out to water the garden, I saw the seedlings of the corn and beans (and some weeds) are sprouting.
I planted Provider beans on 3/17/23 in the 48 qt storage tote. The fencing is to stop snails and birds.

I replanted the 7 tier tower. It took most of the day. The seeds did not sprout well, so I am going to try to reseed it. A couple of pockets on the strawberry tier are empty because I did not find enough strawberry plants.

I harvested one of the papaya yesterday and had it for breakfast today. It was 1140 g. or 2.51 lbs. This one papaya is actually enough to feed 4-6 people. When it is ripe and not waterlogged from the rain it is sweet and the flesh is the consistency of a cantaloupe. I eat it much the same way or I put it in a smoothie. You can squeeze some lemon juice on it or another popular way to eat it is stuffed with cottage cheese or cut up in a tropical fruit salad. The seeds and membrane is scooped out. The seeds can be planted or can be used to make papaya seed salad dressing. (Wasting nothing here). I put it in the frig overnight since it is fully ripe already and I don't like it warm. If it gets over ripe, I can't eat it because I don't like it when the flesh is mushy. I did grind the skin in the disposal. The seeds cannot go in the worm bin because it can make the worms sterile, but the fruit would be o.k. I don't have enough carbon in the worm bin to bury the fruit rind and it attracted too many fruit flies, so I don't want to put another one in there.

Today is Easter Sunday and while it is overcast, it is currently dry, so hopefully I can get a few more things done in the garden today. HAPPY EASTER!
Attachments
Main garden corn and bean seedlings are starting to sprout. bok choy, Russian and Toscano kale, one currant tomato, semposai komatsuna, mizuna were worked around.
Main garden corn and bean seedlings are starting to sprout. bok choy, Russian and Toscano kale, one currant tomato, semposai komatsuna, mizuna were worked around.
sweet potato leaves
sweet potato leaves
Nursery bench, needs to be planted out.
Nursery bench, needs to be planted out.
Warrior tomato, TYLCV resistant 4-5 ft.  Just starting to form fruit
Warrior tomato, TYLCV resistant 4-5 ft. Just starting to form fruit
Telegraph cucumber. Fruit are in bags to stop pickle worms
Telegraph cucumber. Fruit are in bags to stop pickle worms
7 tier tower I replanted.  Seeds did not germinate well. I will have to reseed or get starts. The red kale was still good so I left it in the tier.
7 tier tower I replanted. Seeds did not germinate well. I will have to reseed or get starts. The red kale was still good so I left it in the tier.
Onions from Poamoho onion field day. Largest are plethora, sapelo, and the round ones I think are Madalyn. These are short short day varieties.
Onions from Poamoho onion field day. Largest are plethora, sapelo, and the round ones I think are Madalyn. These are short short day varieties.
Soarer cucumber transplanted 3/21/23
Soarer cucumber transplanted 3/21/23
Provider beans planted 3/17/23 Netting is to stop snails and birds.
Provider beans planted 3/17/23 Netting is to stop snails and birds.
Papaya seeded
Papaya seeded
2.51 lb X77 papaya
2.51 lb X77 papaya

applestar
Mod

Loved seeing the photo updates. Your garden looks so lush! Keep up the great job!

ApertureF11Sniper
Cool Member

I saw slugs were mentioned....What I do for slugs is I went to the dollar store and got some tongs. Then I take a empty half gallon plastic jug and cut a hole in the side at the top. I put in a bit of water and a lot of salt. then as frequently as I can I walk the yard in the last hour of light and grab them up.

Our slugs here get to 7 to 10 inches.

I will also set up slug traps. Which is simply a few boards laid flat in various places. They love to hide under them.

When I was like 4 I guess I decided slugs would make great pets so I put several in my pockets.....My mom was NOT amused to say the least lol.....

imafan26
Mod

Slugs and snails really come out in the rainy season. I need another toad. I use slug bait either sulfur or ferric iron. Sluggo or iron phosphate works too, but they are eaten by both the birds and the rats and they come back for more.

I prefer to do my snail hunts in the morning. I usually find them when I am watering so I smash them or cut them in half. If I am on a dedicated hunt, then I will have a bag with about a tablespoon of salt and use gloves and drop them in the bag . I don't put salt on the slugs. Salt is bad for the soil. I have to look under rocks and pots. Sometimes 30 minutes before dawn, the snails will be out in the open. I am not finding as many as before maybe 1-2 a week. I find more under pots and in the bottom of containers. I used to average 7 a day with a record of 32 slugs in one morning. The number went down considerably after the toad showed up. I haven't seen it in a while, but there was a young toad I found a couple of months ago in my worm bin and I did evict that one or it would have eaten my worms.

When I took apart the 7 tiered tower there were about a dozen slugs hiding in the tiers under the watering trays.

They like to hang out in the aloe, by the zucchini, orchid bench, and the starter bench, so those are the areas I concentrate on for the bait. They also like my pollinator garden because of the thick ground cover. I don't usually see damage there, but I do see slime trails. I don't bait that as much, but if there are a lot of slime trails I will bait it.

ApertureF11Sniper
Cool Member

Early on I count how many slugs I get while on patrol, usually averages 140. We have a big yard though, I concentrate on about 1/4 of it, just areas close to plants. As the summer progresses the number drops down to 20 to 30 per patrol.

imafan26
Mod

When I used to go on daily hunts, I could easily find the slugs and snails in the open in 10-15 minutes. Often they are huddled together and that makes the count go up faster. I don't have a big yard. My entire yard with the house is 5400 sf of which about 3000 sf is yard. Some of it I rarely see because few plants grow there and the snails don't cause a lot of damage there. I used to put out snail bait every two weeks, but it is not only expensive, it attracts snails and slugs as well. So now, I only put out bait in spots where I have problems and just do hunts in the usual places. When I can get it, I like to use cut hair as a barrier. It has been the most effective thing for me to protect plants. I just don't have enough of it so I can only protect one or two plants at most.

imafan26
Mod

The Partenon Zucchini is putting out a lot of fruit, but I am encountering problems with fruit rot. The blossom end turns yellow and then rots back. Sometimes it starts even when the fruit is very small. So I am losing about 50%. I am harvesting the fruit smaller to try to get the fruit before the rot sets in.

I am not sure what is causing this. When I looked it up it suggesting
1. Poor Pollination. I am growing Partenon which does not require pollination.
2. Uneven watering causing blossom end rot. I have not been watering the zuchhini as much because of the rain. I do have plastic mulch so the fruit does not touch the soil, but the plastic could be holding puddles of water from the rain.

The pot stays wet from the rain, it is a plastic pot so it does not breathe ( I put extra holes in it). and the plastic mulch slows evaporation. I have not watered because the soil is wet. When the fruit rots it does not have the typical black rot at the blossom end of the fruit, so I don't think it is blossom end rot.
3. Fruit flies? It could be fruit flies but the fruit rots so badly that it is mush so I can't tell if maggots were in it. It is hard to tell if the fruits were stung. Most don't show signs of stinging.

What else could this be? I has been raining pretty much every day. There is also some powdery mildew on the older leaves, but this is a resistant variety so I can control that by removing the leaves.

I can't do anything about the rain. Temperatures are fine 64-78 degrees. I chose Partenon because it will set fruit up to 85 degrees.

I just started covering the fruit with net bags just in case they are being stung. Of course it only works if the bags go on before they are stung.

The leaves are small for zucchini and this is reused soil. So, I did add more lime, potassium, and nitrogen and I just did miracle grow yesterday for all the potted plants and the front yard. The vegetable garden does not need it.

The cucumbers in the reused soil are also showing nutrient deficiencies. The plants are small, but the cold and overcast weather may be contributing to that. I do see marginal yellowing, but no necrosis and some fungal disease on the older plants from the rain. The varieties I am growing for cucumber are Telegraph, Suyo, and Soarer. Telegraph is a new one. It is surprisingly resilient even with all the rain it has good mildew tolerance. I don't usually have to fungicide the resistant cucumbers. The others are the usual ones that I grow. Suyo has better heat tolerance but good downy mildew resistance and intermediate resistance to powdery mildew.

I just sent off soil samples yesterday from the reused soil. It is hard to guess what fertilizer I need. I did change the starter fertilizer to 1/2 cup 10-20-20 and 1 cup 6-4-6. Both have micros and 6-4-6 has slow N. It should be more phosphorus and potassium than 2 cups of 6-4-6 with micros, which is what I use for new soil.

I may have increased the pH a bit on some pots because I also added lime to boost the calcium ( about 1-2 tablespoons for an 18 gallon container). That could be suppressing the nitrogen and the micros. Hence I need to either do more frequent nitrogen applications or more water soluble fertilizer. I don't like to do that much work. I would rather figure out the best combination for the starter fertilizer to minimize the weekly supplements.

I also started adding crushed cinder to a couple of containers to boost the mineral content. It is neutral to alkaline but it does provide minerals. The amount is also small. about 1/4 cup per 18 gallon container.

My new potting mix that I make for general use and not for large containers has added osmocote. When I use reused soil, I don't add osmocote, so maybe I should. It would provide the slow nitrogen.

Then again, maybe I should hold off on this frustrating fertilizer guessing game and wait for the soil test results.

https://www.ctahr.hawaii.edu/tpss/diges ... 109_4.html

applestar
Mod

About the zucchini, I’ve had similar fruit rots from two different causes that I think you didn’t mention/speculate about —

One is from previous years when there was Squash Vine Borer infestation in the primary basal stem, which I know you don’t have, but the premature fruit shriveling and blackening could be result of restricted water and nutrient transport — so maybe something is going on in the roots?

The other issue I had last year inside the hoophouse — the fruits showed these symptoms way before the rest of the plants started exhibiting more obvious signs of fungal infection including massive powdery mildew outbreak on the leaves.

If following similar course, the leaves will remain looking healthy but next sign/symptom will be black spore mold sporangiphores aggressively clustered on dead floral petals then the fruit yellows/blackens and drops.

I suspected mold was entering the fruit from the blossoms and made a point of removing wilted closed petals that had opened the day before, and spraying the blossom end with alcohol — which seemed to help and/or slow them down enough for the fruits to reach harvest size for a while until I couldn’t keep it up.

imafan26
Mod

My sister came over the other day. She hasn't been here in a while. She said my yard was a jungle. It is, especially after all the rain. I have to keep the front yard weed whacked for the HOA, but the inner courtyard has grass that is close to a foot tall. Not looking forward to that. I also have to cut the roses back OUCH! They are hard to get around. I could not cut them back because of the rain. The cuts need time to dry out or they may die back. And then there are the ever present weeds. I have been pulling out the weed tree seedlings as soon as I see them, but I am sure I am missing a lot of them.

There is a lot still to do. Gotta get do it, even if it is only a little bit at a time.

Yesterday, I went to the MG class on plant pathology, specifically plant diseases. I brought a bag full of samples and the pathologist did look at my papaya leaf. He said there were a lot of fungal spores on the leaf but they were not pathogens, they looked like mold. That makes sense. I live in a place that rains a lot. My house has chronic mold problems. The painter said, it won't go away.

Good news is that the house mold, while it is growing on? the papaya leaves, are not pathogenic to the papaya. The papaya looks healthy and the mold is only on the older leaves that are already dying, so it won't affect the plant. I cut the leaves off anyway. Mystery solved? The rest of the samples in the bag, I already knew what they were.

Because of all the rain I have black spot on the roses, and fungal problems on cucurbits ( cercospora, anthrachnose, and powdery mildew), I don't have any bacterial spot on the peppers so far, fungal spots on the orchids in the sun, daylily rust, ti rust, and powdery mildew on the crepe myrtle, cercospora leaf spots on chard, and white rust on komatsuna. None of this is surprising given the daily rain and now humidity, but it means I have some work to do to manage them.

Considering the total number of plants I have, this isn't too bad.

imafan26
Mod

I am not sure what is causing the fruit rot. I thought maybe the rain didn't help. The squash that rotted actually were the ones touching the ground. I have covered two of the larger ones with net bags in case the problem is because they are being stung by fruit flies. I did not see any sting marks, but the fruit was falling apart. I don't see any wilting and usually that happens when there is a root problem. I am thinking it might be nutritional. The leaves are smaller than the ones I had before.

It has been raining so long, I am out of my usual routine of watering first thing in the morning. I did not get it started until noon. One of the cucumbers was wilting. I need to get back to a regular routine again at least while the weather is nice and it isn't raining.

A lot of the corn and beans did not come up, or disappeared. I suspect the birds did it. I will have to replant the seeds. It will mess things up because the corn needs to be planted at the same time. I'll see what happens.

Today, I harvested a green papaya to make tinola with the leftover rotisserie chicken. Cutting a green papaya is a lot like cutting a winter squash. Tinola is a Filipino chicken and papaya soup. Usually it is made with a stewing hen. But I used the bones from the rotisserie chicken. I took the meat off first and added it back in in the end. I also got a couple of chicken thighs and cut it up fried it. Sauteed 1 diced onion until it was softened. (Actually, I went out to get the papaya and got distracted in the garden and the chicken charred. I added some of ginger I preserved from last years' harvest, peppercorns. I used bouillon because this was not an old chicken so I needed to up the chicken flavor. Added water and fish sauce (instead of salt), a couple of bay leaves and simmered it for about 30 minutes. Added the peeled, seeded, and cubed papaya and simmered it until it was tender about 20 minutes. Usually moringa leaves are added but I don't have any. Spinach can be substituted, but I left it out. It came out pretty good. It would have been better less charred, but this time I only made a little of it. It will be good for a couple of days.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 10:44 pm
I am not sure what is causing the fruit rot. I thought maybe the rain didn't help.

It has been raining so long,

A lot of the corn and beans did not come up,
Last years we had 47" of rain from Jan to April. Too much rain washes calcium out of our soil. Tomatoes, melons, cucumbers, squash, peppers, get BER. I have to give plants calcium every 2 weeks to prevent BER, maybe your having the same problem because of too much rain. I'm not sure how much rain we got this year but it rains almost very day.

If my soil temperature is below 65°f my corn & bean seed rot before they germinate. It is frustrating to have only 50% germinate.

Super sweet corn is not very hardy even with the best conditions often 30% will not germinate. Sweet corn is more hardy than super sweet corn, the last 2 years I got 99% germination. Super sweet corn is a 72 day crop with 5' tall plants and small ears. Sweet corn G90 is a 90 day crop plants are 7' to 8' tall with ears 2 times larger than super sweet corn. I have to plant 650 super sweet corn seeds to = 250 sweet corn seeds to get the same harvest.

imafan26
Mod

Calcium may be a problem. It has been a problem in containers before. I will give it some calcium but I may have to get some calcium nitrate to get a faster response. I will have hunt for that since amazon is not sending a lot of fertilizers anymore. I might have to take a jaunt to a hydroponics store.

I know most of the seeds germinated because I saw them coming up, but they have disappeared. Out of an entire packet of Provider beans. Only two have survived.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 1:39 pm
Calcium may be a problem. It has been a problem in containers before. I will give it some calcium but I may have to get some calcium nitrate to get a faster response. I will have hunt for that since amazon is not sending a lot of fertilizers anymore. I might have to take a jaunt to a hydroponics store.

I know most of the seeds germinated because I saw them coming up, but they have disappeared. Out of an entire packet of Provider beans. Only two have survived.
Wood ash is about 30% calcium. I burn tree limbs, wooden pallets, and Lowe's & Home Depot have trash wood they throw away. Do not put fresh burned wood ash on plants it contains Potassium Hydroxide. Potassium Hydroxide will evaporate away when exposed to the air for a week. If you burn wood in the garden leave it lay on the soil for a week before you put it on plants. Mix water with wood ash potassium hydroxide is gone in about 5 days then pour water on plants. Free calcium.

imafan26
Mod

Thanks, getting wood is one of the problems. I can only burn it in my smokey joe because there is a burn ban that has been in place for years. It was one of the reasons why the sugar plantations closed. They burned the fields to harvest the canes. Most people here don't have fireplaces. Heat is free, so finding ash is not that easy. I don't think the ash at the parks will be good because people put fire starter on the charcoal. Hmm.

I wonder how much calcium is in charcoal? I have to look that up. Molokai charcoal is not treated. Looked it up already. It does contain calcium carbonate, but is not recommended for the garden. I'll just use dolomite lime. It contains magnesium and calcium in small quantities it won't affect pH. It just takes a while to work.

The other thing I researched was to add compost. I can only find 10% as to how much to add. I have tried compost in pots before and it has always held too much water. I have to figure out how much I can add and not cause problems. It might be easier in the long run to just dump all the soil and just start new. It will just cost more and sometimes it is hard to find the soil.

In the meantime, I am going to try to MG the containers to get the nutrients available sooner. I had a box of spray-able dry fish fertilizer made by Alaska.
Well, turns out, it does not dissolve well in the Miracle grow feeder and clogged it with chunks of dry dust. At least is does not smell. I ended up having to dump it into a watering can. It clogged the watering can too. I had to keep shaking it.
This is one of the things I really hated about organic fertilizers, I had to mix it up in 5 gallon buckets, it attracted flies, and I had to do it every week.

imafan26
Mod

It is 71 degrees and humidity is 79%. It may rain later today from convection heating since the wind right now is 3 mph.

Yesterday, I got a few more things done. I did get out and replant the corn and bean seeds. Although, this time I planted Jade beans instead of Provider.

I also got around to amending my tree pot. I have been reading online about reusing soil. Maybe I am just not doing it right. I have been adding fertilizer, I tried adding bark chips, and even black cinder and different kinds of fertilizer.
Most of the tutorials said to reuse half the old mix if it had no disease issues with new mix. Some people added home made compost, which I don't have. I have tried adding commercial compost before with poor results.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv2xupu ... dGarden%29

https://homesteadhow-to.com/re-use-potting-soil/

My potting mix is not old. The oldest mixes where the peat moss has broken down ends up on the grass as top dressing or in the garden beds. I used to add it to the main garden, but the main garden does not need any more left over nutrients and some of the soil has soil mealy bugs or nematodes which I treat with diatomaceous earth and have bagged up until I can get to the landfill.

So, I am giving it yet another try. This time, I am only reusing a third of the old mix and mixing it with new peatlite. Fertilizer is osmocote which I add to my potting mixes, 2 cups of 6-4-6 slow N citrus fertilizer plus micros per 18 gallon pot. In addition I am adding about 1 tsp per gallon of dolomite lime for calcium and magnesium. I added about a cup of black cinder, it contains some minerals mostly calcium, iron, and magnesium. It may still be low in phosphorus and potassium, but I don't know how much to add. I'll see how this works out. If it was a whole new mix without old mix the citrus food and osmocote is all I add and that works fine. The soil test has not been sent off yet after I dropped it off at the garden. The sample was too wet so they are drying it before sending it off. This container is a 25 gallon tree pot and I planted it with okra and pollinator flowers. They are not heavy feeders so it will be a good test pot.

I still have some other large pots to redo. I will try different combinations and hope to find one that works.

I did add about a cup of aged steer manure to three of the existing pots with reused soil, the eggplant and two of the cucumbers. While those plants are growing and producing, they show very weak growth. If the manure works, it will be worth while, if it doesn't, I am not expecting a full yield from these plants anyway. I am also doing the MG water soluble every two weeks and that may help them catch up.

imafan26
Mod

Yesterday I picked 4 papaya with a total wt of 3785 gm. 2 large and 2 medium . A couple are half yellow and a couple are streaked. The papaya ripening rate is accelerating. I usually get 2 papaya a week. The papaya is getting small as the tree grows older.

I did get out this morning before it started to rain, and weed whack the front yard.

I fed the wild bitter melon vines to the worms yesterday. There was a little bit of food left but mostly vines from last week. I try to feed the worms on Mondays. I must have more worms now because they are eating the food faster.

There is blackspot on the roses from all the overcast and wet weather so I treated them yesterday with a systemic fungicide.

I lost another zucchini to rot. That one was covered and it was not on the ground.

imafan26
Mod

It rained a little over night. It is 76 degrees now and the wind is shifting to NNW at 7 mph. The storm system is moving off and it is not as muggy now. The trades should return for a couple of days before the next front gets here. There are still a few isolated showers so there may be a sprinkle or two.

I filled both my green cans today. 1 can was filled with the Rama tulsi. I still have some of it left. The other can had some dropped lemons and limes but it is mostly the dragon fruit. It is is hard plant to cut out. It is growing through my fence so it is hard to cut it off. I got around to pulling spruge out of the pollinator bed. I am doing that in short sessions because that requires more bending than I can't tolerate that for very long.

My sister called today and wanted a garlic chive plant and eggplant.I did not go to the garden yesterday, and my young plant isn't producing yet, but I did have the garlic chives. I gave her the four ripe papaya I picked plus another green one. Green papaya can be eaten like squash. I just made tinola with a green papaya, but it can also be used to make green papaya salad or can be used as a replacement for Upo in pork and squash soup. I did not go to the garden yesterday, or I would have dropped off the papaya then.

I still have 3 meyer lemons. My sister has a Meyer lemon tree too, so I will probably juice some of these lemons.

Eggplant, papaya, sweet potato leaves, and chard are my most prolific survival crops. I can harvest most of those any day of the week. Although my chard is getting old and needs to be replaced. I have kale, mizuna, komatsuna, bok choy and Tokyo bekana instead. The lettuce is starting to bolt. I still have two heads in the refrigerator. So, I have been having salad for dinner.

Today I made a avocado, blueberry,and peanut butter smoothie. I cannot understand why people like the Haas avocado. It may be because they don't know any other. The varieties of avocado that is available here are bigger and have a higher fat content so they are creamier and have more of the butter flavor. I remember someone that grows the $1000 fruit it Japan said that our avocados were oily compared to what they have in Japan. Right now, Walmart only has Haas. We have acquired the avocado lace but in 2019 and that has impacted avocado production. Especially when these pests come in, there aren't enough predators to keep them in check and they can defoliate avocado trees.
t

imafan26
Mod

I checked the garden before it rained yesterday. The beans looks like some have sprouted. I haven't seen any corn yet. A few okra and some of the flowers have sprouted in the tree pot as well.

I was able to pull weeds out of my pollen and nectar garden. Some of the weeds I sprayed around the yard and in the walkways with Round Up are starting to wither. It will be a problem getting more Round Up now that Bayer has decided to reformulate it. There aren't that many short acting herbicides that I can use on the perimeter of the vegetable garden.

Dicambra can't be used around vegetables and triclopyr is what I have to use to kill the weedy trees that have gotten to big to pull. The others are longer acting so they are more persistent. Image can be used to kill broadleaf weeds in the grass.

I finally got out this afternoon for a bit. The sky is very dark so it may or may not rain. Sometimes it just teases. It is raining somewhere. I dumped out the soil in three of my biggest containers, a 25 gallon tree pot, a 20 gal half barrel resin pot, and a 15 gallon blow mold pot. These have all been dead zones where nothing wanted to grow. Even the weeds were not that happy. I did find a few earthworms in 2 of the pots and they got tossed into the main garden. I cleaned and bleached them and I am going to let them sit for 24 hours before I rinse and reuse them. I put the old soil in the low spot on the grass. There were a few earthworms I missed so they are in the front yard now. I'm not sure what I'll plant in them but it probably will be cucumber, tomato, or beans since the pots sit in front of my permanent trellis. My other choices would be bitter melon or long beans. The pots are so big that I need to decide what companions to put with them.

imafan26
Mod

Today I planted 2 of the pots. I reused one third of the soil for each pot. They are large pots. One is 18 gallons, and the other is 25 gallons. Because of the nutrient problems. I had to do a mix of fertiliers. I don't know how that will work out. 1 got some granite dust from amazon (at least they were willing to send it.) I put about a cup in each pot for minerals, I put in 3 tablespoon of dolomite lime for calcium and magnesium and I used 1/2 cup of 10-20-20 and 1 cup 6-4-6 with micros for each pot. The 25 gallon pot got and extra 1/2 cup 6-4-6 and I gave both a couple of tablespoons of osmocote 18-6-12 slow release fertilizer. If this was all new soil it would have gotten about 1/4 cup of osmocote and 2 cups of 6-4-6 and it would have been fine.

In the 25 gallon pot I have 2 small tomato plants. Rally and Sun King. They are TYLCV resistant so only the fruit need to be covered. They have been in small pots for a long time, so I am not sure how they will do. I have grown Sun King before but this is the first time for Rally. I have one more TYLCV resistant plant that is orange cherry. That one is indeterminate so it will need a bigger trellis.

The second pot I planted with 5 seeds of Telegraph cucumber. I'll see how many come up. I usually plant 4-5 seeds but sometimes only 1-3 survive. If all survive the trellis could still handle it.

The other Telegraph is producing fruit, but it is in a pot with reused soil so it is a small weak plant. It is one of the pots I have to redo.

One zucchini has died and the other is hanging on. I have gotten a few fruit, but al lot of rot or something ate it.

The peas all died. I probably did not water it enough.

I have 2 other cucumbers in bloom. They are making fruit. I just keep breaking the fruit trying to bag them. One is labeled Soarer, but I think it is Summer Dance, it is producing a lot of male flowers. I like Soarer but I am trying to find a parthenocarpic Japanese cucumber with good disease resistance to replace it since the seeds are only available through Kitazawa or Trueleaf = same company. The seeds are expensive and True Leaf shipping costs more.

I am looking at Tasty Jade, Summer Delight, and maybe one of the Baker seed company Japanese varieties. I like Suyo for myself, but my mom does not like the ridges. I don't know why it matters so much, we always peel cucumbers anyway.

My other favorite cukes especially for summer are the Beit Alpha, Ashley, Dasher II has good heat resistance, I just don't like the shape. short and fat, but it is not bitter when it is young.

It started raining just after I planted and watered everything, so I did not get pictures. I'll try to get pictures tomorrow morning.

Warrior tomato has started to ripen. I just realized that there is a Valentine tomato in the same pot and it has fruit that is ripening too.

Rosella crimson is flowering and so are some of the other Valentines I have.

I have more overgrown seedlings that I have to cull. To many to plant and the pots weren't ready. I do have more pots to replace the soil on, but I can only do a couple of them at a time. The soil I am not reusing went to the front yard to top dress the grass.

Tonight, I went to the Aiea Orchid Club auction. I bid on 7 plants and a carrot cake. I got 3 orchids and the carrot cake but I got 3 more orchids and a tillandsia in the auction of the unbidded plants. Not to shabby. I spent $107 including the cake. So about $14 a plant. Most of these are old cultivars. Orchid auctions are like this. There are orchid plants, succulents, and bake sale. Sometimes there are other kinds of plants as well. It depends on what was donated. I have been looking for oncidiums and I got 2 Brassia Rex and a Gower Ramsey so that was really good. I just have to keep them alive till they get big enough to bloom.

imafan26
Mod

It started raining again. But I did have time to harvest some beans, pull a few weeds, and get some pictures.
The weeds go amuck in the rain. They do serve a purpose in some containers.  The weeds keep the plants from drowning in the rain
The weeds go amuck in the rain. They do serve a purpose in some containers. The weeds keep the plants from drowning in the rain
Attachments
You would not have guessed there was a hibiscus under all those weeds.
You would not have guessed there was a hibiscus under all those weeds.
Wild bitter melon trying to climb over the Lippia micromera
Wild bitter melon trying to climb over the Lippia micromera
Tomato coming through the fence. It is time for it to go.
Tomato coming through the fence. It is time for it to go.
red currant tomato is getting out of control it is over 10 ft and pushing through the fence and trellis.
red currant tomato is getting out of control it is over 10 ft and pushing through the fence and trellis.
These are the orchids and the tilandsia I got from the orchid auction. It is an expensive hobby, but if the plants grow well you end up with dozens of the same thing.
These are the orchids and the tilandsia I got from the orchid auction. It is an expensive hobby, but if the plants grow well you end up with dozens of the same thing.
Round Up does not kill everything like purse lane or shiny leaves.  Perennial weeds that root from nodes have to be killed first or anything left behind will grow again.
Round Up does not kill everything like purse lane or shiny leaves. Perennial weeds that root from nodes have to be killed first or anything left behind will grow again.
Side yard about 8 days after Roujnd Up
Side yard about 8 days after Roujnd Up
Miracle berry. If you eat the berry everything will taste sweet for about an hour
Miracle berry. If you eat the berry everything will taste sweet for about an hour
Better view of the Warrrior tomato in the tree bag
Better view of the Warrrior tomato in the tree bag
Warrior and Valentine tomato are unexpectedly sharing the same pot and fruit are starting to ripen.
Warrior and Valentine tomato are unexpectedly sharing the same pot and fruit are starting to ripen.
sweet potato leaves are sprawling. I need to curb the vines.
sweet potato leaves are sprawling. I need to curb the vines.

imafan26
Mod

More pictures from today 4/45/2023
Attachments
Mr Lincoln rose still leaning after the wind and rain pushed it over. I will need some armor to put it up again. It does like being in the sun more.
Mr Lincoln rose still leaning after the wind and rain pushed it over. I will need some armor to put it up again. It does like being in the sun more.
The papaya is stepping up production. The papaya are a little smaller about 2 lbs each, but instead of 2, I am getting 4 a week on average (5-6 lbs). While the tree can live 8 years, it can get up to 30 ft tall. I will cut it down when I can no longer reach the fruit or be able to top the tree whichever comes first. While the papaya is sweet. It is not the best. You can tell because the papaya are ripe and the birds are attacking the bean and corn seedlings and toscano instead. If the papaya was really sweet, the birds would have hollowed it out before it got this yellow.
The papaya is stepping up production. The papaya are a little smaller about 2 lbs each, but instead of 2, I am getting 4 a week on average (5-6 lbs). While the tree can live 8 years, it can get up to 30 ft tall. I will cut it down when I can no longer reach the fruit or be able to top the tree whichever comes first. While the papaya is sweet. It is not the best. You can tell because the papaya are ripe and the birds are attacking the bean and corn seedlings and toscano instead. If the papaya was really sweet, the birds would have hollowed it out before it got this yellow.
Part of the front border planting. The neighbors hibiscus hedge and palms cast so much shade, I had to change the border to blue daze, nasturtiums can last almost all year, alyssum, and I planted some hollyhocks and cinnamon basil.
Part of the front border planting. The neighbors hibiscus hedge and palms cast so much shade, I had to change the border to blue daze, nasturtiums can last almost all year, alyssum, and I planted some hollyhocks and cinnamon basil.
This is where the old potting mix ends up.
This is where the old potting mix ends up.
This is the last 10 ft of the garden you could not see from the other picture.
This is the last 10 ft of the garden you could not see from the other picture.
view looking south of the back yard garden. You can't see it all yet
view looking south of the back yard garden. You can't see it all yet
Corn is sprouting. The beans have disappeared again. I may have to do starts to protect them from the birds. Even the corn may not be safe.
Corn is sprouting. The beans have disappeared again. I may have to do starts to protect them from the birds. Even the corn may not be safe.
25 gallon pot Okra and flowers have started to sprout
25 gallon pot Okra and flowers have started to sprout
These were the pots I filled yesterday. The 18 gallon blue pot was planted with 5 Telegraph English cucumbers.  The 25 gallon tree pot has two tomatoes ( Rally and Sun King) and is also seeded with Pesaro Basil seeds. <br />I have more pots to fill. The plastic bags keep the weeds from coming through the pavers below. It works better than weed block, but it isn't pretty.  I can't use mulch because of snails and grubs.
These were the pots I filled yesterday. The 18 gallon blue pot was planted with 5 Telegraph English cucumbers. The 25 gallon tree pot has two tomatoes ( Rally and Sun King) and is also seeded with Pesaro Basil seeds.
I have more pots to fill. The plastic bags keep the weeds from coming through the pavers below. It works better than weed block, but it isn't pretty. I can't use mulch because of snails and grubs.

imafan26
Mod

I pulled out the lettuce and mizuna that were bolting. I harvested the Pac choi, it is about to bolt. Cleaned up some of the pots on the bench that needed to go. It started to rain after I watered the garden of course.

I did plant more seeds of Tasty Jade and Soarer cucumber, Hawaiian chili, Swiss Chard, Red Bull and Red Majestic bell peppers, Disco Belle Hibiscus (There was only five seeds in the packet. I need at least one of them to survive.) I potted up more of the papaya and Bouquet dill seedlings. Cleaned up the empty and weedy pots on the bench to make room for them.

The birds ate the beans again only a couple of the new ones survived. Some of the corn seeds germinated, hopefully they will get to grow before the birds come after them.

The strawberries in the tower are making runners so they are rooting in the empty pockets. Now, I don't have to buy more. I have extra pockets in the tower to fill. The seeds did not sprout well, so I am going to do seed starts and transplant them in.

I have a few baby cucumbers. If I can only bag them without breaking them. The tomatoes are flowering Rosella crimson, Warrior, Valentine and Sweet pea currant. The curant, Warrior, and valentine have fruit that are ripening.

I picked the first warrior tomatoes today. They were two in a cluster. The total wt was 486 g. One weighed 244 gs and the other 242 g so pretty close. The fruit are bright red, firm and lobed. They ripened evenly, but even though they are fully colored, I probably could have waited a day or two. The fruit is firm and had a nice meaty cavity with few seeds and a small white membrane. The blossom scar is small. I had one of them for dinner. It is slightly tart. It probably would have a better texture and taste if it wasn't raining every day. This is a good one for me. I want a tomato to be firm and meaty and have a tomato taste but not very tart. Warrior is a determinate tomato and right now it stands almost 4 ft and it is still growing. It has a good disease package so far it is not showing signs of powdery mildew or other fungal disease and it is TYLCV resistant.
Attachments
I cut one open but my finger got in the picture too.
I cut one open but my finger got in the picture too.
Warrior Tomatoes
Warrior Tomatoes

imafan26
Mod

It is muggy at 73 degrees and wet (drizzling). The rain is annoying but I was able to do a few things even in the rain.

I found a bush beefsteak that needed to be potted up, I was going to save the 15 gallon pot for the roselle, but I refilled the pot with new potting soil, 1/2 cup 10-20-20, 1 cup 6-4-6 with micros, 1.4 cup dolomite lime, and a handful of osmocote 14-14-14. It looks like nutracote, so I am wondering if it was packed wrong. I am not complaining nutratcote is more expensive and it is not temperature sensitive.

Three okra survived, so I planted 4 more seeds in the pot to try to get the total number up a couple more. This is a 25 gallon tree pot, so I don't want the space to go to waste. Although if more than three survive, I will have more okra than I can handle. Good thing I have discovered there are a lot of things I can freeze that do well and okra apparently is one of them that not only freezes well but does not require blanching. I just have to find more room in the freezer.

The corn survived but now I have corn that is more than two weeks apart in age and neither stand is very good. I am contemplating either leaving the corn to attract ladybugs or start over, planting more corn in starts that I can cover and transplant them out to the garden later.

I may still be able to MG the pots or weed whack if ti does not rain harder. I still might be able to do some potting up on the lanai even if it does rain. I just have to get the peat moss from the garage to the back of the house through the mud. I could bucket it that way I won't have to lug all 2 cuft of it at one time. It means more trips.

I have enough garden soil to cover an inch in the main garden where the bok choy was. It is also where I have nematodes to I prefer to cover rather than dig there. So far, since I treated it with hot water, the roots of the plants have not been galled. Bok choy would have galled roots if nematodes are very active. The best thing to plant there would be contender beans since they are resistant. I will probably also have to start them protected to keep the birds from messing with them. My garden has a "fence" but it does not have a roof so I will have to do something about that. One more thing on the to do list.

imafan26
Mod

Today was pretty good a few sprinkles but it was 77 degrees so it was a good day to work in the yard. I filled my green can for tomorrow. I only filled one. I pulled the monster sweet pea currant tomato and the bitter melon vine. I also got around to repotting my Queen Elizabeth grandiflora rose. I could not get it out of the pot because the roots had gone into the ground, so I had to cut the pot. I hate when I have to lose a pot. I picked some of the taller weeds and pruned some of the roses.

Later, I went to get more perlite and pvc pipe so I can work on the cover for the main garden. The design is a work in progress.

I wanted to do more, but this was tiring enough. Not to mention roses thorns are hard to work around.

imafan26
Mod

I got my soil tests back. This is from a mainland laboratory but they do give recommendations. There lab normal levels are different than the local extention service.

Sample Taken April 2023
Job# 5623 Estimated
Main Optimum
Garden Status Ranges

TEC 26.15 26
pH (1:1) 6 6.2-6.7
EC (2:1) 0.28 <1.5
Sulfur 19 Low 40-80
Phosphorus 483 V. High 30-60
Olsen P 91 -
Calcium 3168 M. Low 3200
Magnesium 498 Low 650
Potassium 196 V. Low 400
Sodium 75 <200
Boron 1.05 1.0-1.5
Iron 397 100-300
Manganese 30 30-100
Copper 7.85 3-10
Zinc 49.01 High? 10-30 Given very high P, zinc may need to be foliar applied.
Aluminum 461 -
Nitrate-N 24 15-30
Ammonium-N 2.8 <15
Organic Carbon % 7.98 2-4

Comments: Phosphorus appears to be very high, so no manure should be applied. Organic carbon appears to be high but if any compost is applied, apply only
greenwaste compost.

Pre-plant: Broadcast 50 lbs/1000 ft2 of feathermeal (12-0-0), 20 lbs/1000 ft2 of gypsum & 10 lbs/1000 ft2 of K-Mag; incorporate 6 inches deep.
Well aged greenwaste or foodwaste compost can be incorporated with the amendments; a 1/2" layer is a sufficient amount of organic matter.

Supplemental N: Pre-plant feather meal should supply 130-160 lbs/acre of N over 4-6 months. Side-dress 3 lbs/1000 ft2 for long term crops if more N is needed.

Foliar Minors: Apply 1 ounce/gallon of Brandt Organics Hort Mix in the morning with light coverage every 10-20 days. Do not apply with surfactants, soaps or oils.

Foliar Calcium: Apply 1 ounce/gallon of Brandt Organiplex 8% Ca in the morning with light coverage for calcium deficiency. Do not include surfactants, soap or oil.

Soil nutrients are reported in ppm (mg/kg). EC is reported in mmhos/cm (mS/cm). TEC is calculated CEC, reported in meq/100g (cmols/kg).
Most soil nutrients are determined via Mehlich 3 extraction (ICP). Olsen P is also ICP. Available nitrogen is determined via 1 N KCl (spectrometer).
Recommendations assume that the samples tested accurately represent the nutrient status of the soil to be treated, and are not guaranteed.
Optimum Ranges are estimated and can vary. Crop Nutrient Solutions, Inc. is not liable any for any errors or omissions made by the client or others.

I also tested my media. I could not copy the results but it said that the phosphorus was excessively high 20.62 (5-11 normal range) pH was a little low 5.2 (normal 5.5-6.6) Sulfur was low normal 33.56 (normal 30-150) iron low 0.32 (normal 0.5-2.5) zinc low 0.3 (normal 0.25-2.0) Calcium low 77.68 (normal 80-230) manganese slightly high .22 (normal 0.05-0.20) Potassium 93.54 (80-250)

For media calcium,Mg, pH and iron are moderately low
Phosphorus is excessively high and can limit availability of zinc and iron

He did a good job communicating with me to help solve the nutrient issues. The recommendations for the vegetable garden would not work because I only use compost in the garden, I do not use organic fertilizers and the recommended products are not available to me. We settled on not adding any more compost since the soil carbon is 7.98% (normal 2-4). If I do add compost, I have to find one that does not have any added fertilizer. The phosphorus is coming mainly from the compost since I am only using sulfate of ammonia and sulfate of potassium for fertilizer. I will have add dolomite lime, k-mag, and gypsum to raise pH, magnesium, potassium, and calcium. The report gave me for acres, but I know how to calculate for 100 sf. I don't really have problems in the main garden. The phosphorus has been high for years and I have cut the nitrogen I used so it is in a good range now for maintenance. The only things that don't grow well in that garden are root crops and peppers. Rather than deal with that, I grow them in containers instead.

The containers are also a mess when I reuse soil. I have had severe issues with calcium, potassium, magnesium, and zinc deficiencies, even phosphorus deficiencies in containers using organic fertilizers. The formula I use for new soil works well, but there is too much phosphorus in the containers. The pH is moderately low and micros are low. I have problems with magnesium deficiency and plants stunting in reused soil.
This part will still be experimenting. I am going to use less of the reused media 1/3 and 2/3 new potting mix. I will still have to dump media but at least not all of it. I will have to add dolomite lime, k-mag, and gypsum. The base fertilizer will be the same for the new media 6-4-6 with micros. Iron has not been a problem. He said because of the high phosphorus I may have to use foliar micronutrients.
Optimizing potassium could help with the uptake of other nutrients as long as it does not go overboard. I have been there and done that, too much potassium helped with the calcium deficiency but induced magnesium and zinc deficiencies. I have to limit the phosphorus in the containers as well. He suggested compost without nutrients added, about 1/3 inch. The one he suggested is not available at any store. I would have to use the greenwaste product which I can get in bags since I don't need a lot of it.

I guess I will have to put on my mad scientist hat again.

https://www.ipni.net/publication/bettercrops.nsf/0/DD30AA083C1F782A8525798000820361/$FILE/Better%20Crops%201998-3%20p12.pdf

imafan26
Mod

I had not watered my garden for a couple of days and it has only rained lighthly. The toscano kale wilted, It may not come back. I will have to check it later. I had two orchid club sales on consecutive weekends The first on May 6 and I was in charge of the membership table and sold memberships and books. That was from 7 a.m. to 2 p,m.

The second club was last Saturday for our annual Mother's day event. On Friday, I packed the car with the props and plants for the display which took about 2 hours to set up. I had grown some papaya and tomato starts and I had some donations for the club table. The sale was on Saturday from 8-2. It took me an hour to pack the car, so I got there half an hour before the sale started. I worked on the club table. Then I had to break down the display, clean the bathrooms at the end of the show. I was so tired and sore that I finally unpacked the rest of the car today and washed the sheets, put away the display props and put the orchids back where they came from. One orchid fell out of the pot, so I did have to repot it. It can't be moved for a while until the roots grip the pot.

I did manage to harvest a couple of cucumbers today. One was not bagged tight enough and the pickle worm drilled it. I have more of the small valentine and sweet pea currant tomatoes that are ready to pick. Last night I took all the tomatoes that were discolored on the bottom and cut them. They were not that bad inside. I made tomato beef with them. I will have that for a couple of days. I prefer beef tomato, but I did not have any whole peppers left since I stuffed or chopped them all. Time to get more.
Attachments
20230513_111112r.jpg
20230513_111040r.jpg
Pictures of the orchid display
Pictures of the orchid display

imafan26
Mod

It was nice this morning but the skies are getting dark. I guess it is going to rain after all for the next few days.
I did get some things done. I harvested a handful of Provider beans. There are a few more that need a few more days; weed whacked the front yard. I wanted to do that while the grass was still dry.

I cut the top off the papaya tree while I can still reach it without extending the pole pruner. I have the next papaya started. I just have to find a place to plant it.

The corn is growing in the garden. I am surprised. I did not give it any nitrogen. One of the surviving beans has pods. I only have 10 cornstalks. It won't make a lot of corn and the ears probably won't fill well. There are a lot of weeds in the garden. I am probably going to start over. It is hard to weed around plants. I have to take out the remaining bok choy and the kale and semposai that bit the dust. I will still have other plants in the garden but it will be easier to plant with fewer things in the garden.

I started beans, 7 pot hot pepper, Wailua pepper, cubanelle, Curly Vates kale, Bright lights Swiss chard, Clemson spineless okra, Maxibel beans, Provider beans, Tasty Jade cucumber, Beit Alpha cucumber, Florence fennel, kabocha pumpkin, long eggplant, Taiwan Yard long beans. I am hoping I can keep the birds off the beans on the bench which is easier to cover than the garden until they are bigger. I prefer to direct seed them, but the birds are making it hard for them not to disappear overnight. I'll get more corn seed to reseed the garden after I pull the weeds out. I may not get to that today .

Some of the seeds I planted earlier are starting to sprout. I have some kale and peppers that have germinated. Hopefully, it won' t rain that much and I won't lose the seedlings again. The strawberries in the tower are making runners. I have already filled the empty pockets in the strawberry tier and it is is making small berries.

I have to add k-mag to the garden. I have a choice of kelp meal or langbeinite. They supposedly dissolve in water, so I am going to try to add it that way.
Alternatively I could use epsom salt for the magnesium and sulfate of potash. I have to apply a pound per 100 sf approx 1/2 cup. I have to wait to do the nitrogen side dresssing until after it is planted and the seeds have sprouted. Although the soil test said it was low in calcium. I am a little suspicious of that result since my previous tests showed I had twice as much as normal levels. It should not have changed from over 50000ppm to less than 1500ppm in a short time. The main garden does not have calcium deficiencies and the garden is full of cabbage and mustards which are nutrient scavengers.

I cut back the asparagus and Jasmine samboc. I should have cut them back awhile ago. The lavender in the front yard died, so I replaced it with a Provence lavender. Provence does not bloom as well as lavender mutifeda, but it seemed to do better with the rain.

I repotted Queen Eliabeth grandiflora rose. I had to cut the root and sacrifice the pot since it had gone into the ground. It is starting to put out new shoots, so I guess it looks like it will survive. I have to do take out some of the Rama tulsi that have likewise gone through the pots and into the ground.

I lost a hand pruner somewhere after I deadheaded the roses. I had to buy another one today.

imafan26
Mod

The rosella crimson has BER. This time it probably is because of low calcium. The soil report said I had way too much phosphorus, pH 5.5 and low potassium, c calcium, boron, mag, and iron in the reused soil mix. I ordered power grow calcium nitrate hydroponic fertilizer from walmart.com (15.5-0-0). It should get here next week. I have dolomite, but the calcium will take too long to become availabe. This is a water soluble fertilizer so I should be able to get the calcium in faster. I do have to mix a mother solution of 2 oz in 16 oz of water and then mix 2 tablespoons per gallon of water as a feeding. I found out that the miracle grow feeder 8 oz mixes with 44 gallons of water. or about 1.8 tablespoon per gallon of water from the concentrate. I should be able to use it as a foliar spray. So much math makes my head spin. I also have kelp meal and langbeinite (k mag) which I can also suplement 1 tsp per 5 gallons of soil. It is so expensive to dump soil but also expensive to try to fix it.

Today, I picked papaya. It has not rained heavily in the last few days, but it has rained some overnight. The birds are eating the papaya, tomatoes, and strawberries. At least I know the papaya, tomatoes, and strawberries are good. In total, there were 4 papayas that weighed in about 7lb 0.5 oz, Valentine grape tomatoes that weight in at1.25 lb

I kept a few of the tomatoes and took the rest of the tomatoes and papaya to the garden to share. I got 4 passion fruit and an upo squash in return. There were a lot of white eggplant, but I still have 4 eggplant to cook yet. There were mangoes too, but I have too much fruit now. There will be more mangoes next week, the trees are in season now.

I had a browser hijacker trying to break into my email, so I had to change browsers. It is causing issues because now I am getting locked out of some of my accounts because they don't recognize the new browser. I also have to sign into this site every time, because it does not remember me once I close the browser. It is probably a good thing for security but such a pain to have to look up all of the passwords for every site. I also don't know the passwords for the accounts since the password manager is connected to the old browser. I am getting so much junk mail, in my inbox, it is ridiculous.

I killed 3 blond slugs and 2 small African snails today, and I saw slug trails on my driveway by the pollinator garden and in the side yard by the zucchini. I baited the pollinator garden, but I need to get more slug bait for the side and back yard.

'Tis the season for bugs and weeds, all the way until the end of August.

imafan26
Mod

The corn tassels are out. I don't expect much from 8 cornstalks. They are clean, no aphids, so I may just let them finish and then chop the stalks for mulch,

The ginger is finally sprouting a month late. I replanted the ginger into two containers today. I may have broken some shoots, but it should be o.k.

I found more ground mealy bugs in the herb bowls, so I triple washed them with soap and bleach, and then poured hot water in them. I have replanted the peppermint and spearmint bowls. The thyme I purchased earlier looks like something has been nibbling on it, but I planted it anyway and I will hope it comes back. The soil from the pots that can still be used went to the front yard. One of the muck buckets was too brittle and fell apart, I still have many many more buckets to redo.

While your gardens are finally getting planted out, mine is in transition. I can only plant tropicals and heat resistant crops from now on until September. I have 7 tomato plants, more than usual. Two of those are not doing great and probably need to be replaced. Four are valentine tomatoes that are producing fruit now. I just planted a sweet pea currant.

I have topped my papaya. I can't let it get any taller. The remaining papaya will accelerate ripening. I have a replacement papaya, I just have to figure out where to put it.

The eggplant looks better, at least it is growing. I have given it more nitrogen, calcium, magnesium and potassium and it got Miracle grow.

Some of the bean seedlings look like they are ready to transplant out.

The Provider beans are about done, they only have a couple of beans left and no new flowers. I will have to redo that pot as well. The cage is keeping the birds from eating it and for some reason the Chinese rose beetles have decided to full on attack the strawberries and have left the beans alone.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:
Tue May 30, 2023 9:13 pm
The corn tassels are out. I don't expect much from 8 cornstalks. They are clean, no aphids, so I may just let them finish and then chop the stalks for mulch,
If you don't get ears full of 500 kernels you should to self pollination. Pull a tassel then shake it inside a clean 5 gallon bucket, pollen will fall to bottom of the bucket. Wipe up pollen with a cotton ball then dop the cotton ball on the ear silks. Each silk is 1 kernel on the cob. You need pollen on all 500 silks to have 500 kernels. Your humidity is probably high enough for this to work.

When I lived in Phoenix AZ area humidity was so low corn silks were not sticky and pollen would not stick to the silks for ears had no kernels. I shook tassels in a 5 gallon bucket. Mix 1 drop of dish soap in 1 cup of water then use 1 teaspoon of that water to soak up pollen in the bucket. Soapy water was the only way to make pollen stick to corn silks.

I grew about 30 corn plants in a 3 ft diameter circle. Funny that actually worked good.

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”