TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

TomatoNuts 2022 Garden

Everything is covered as good as possible. Now all that's left for me to do is lay awake all night worrying that it'll freeze anyway. I picked what onion greens I could, I want those to die down so I can divide up the clump. I encountered three tree frogs while working, one if which I had to perform a rescue when it fell down in my rain barrel when I took the mosquito screen off the top. The frog was hiding under there the silly thing. Hope they'll find shelter all this week. Night temperatures will be in the 20's and low 30's all this week except for Wednesday which showed 49. Monday and Friday mornings will be the worst at 24 degrees.

I planted coleus and iceplant in an egg carton. As soon as my California Wonder pepper seeds arrive (probably tomorrow) I'll plant a couple of those. I should've planted peppers a couple of weeks ago, but I've fallen behind this year. After they germinate I can move them out to the greenhouse after I set that up. Then I will plant some dwarf tomatoes. I better dig around and locate and test out my heater...

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

This is why I hate the winter. Its the most stressful time of the year for me. Even after covering everything the frost still hurt my garden and I don't think the greens, lettuce especially, will pull through. Cabbage doesn't look too bad. Strange, looks like one broccoli plant was untouched. Weird.
Attachments
20220103_094622.jpg
20220103_094634.jpg
20220103_094737_HDR.jpg

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I recovered my plants for another horrendous night. My kale and ornamental cabbage was frostbitten badly and I don't think they'll pull through. My middle aged lettuce plants seemed to perk back up. The edible cabbage still looks depressed. If I get another stinking frost it'll probably kill them. I can't wait until March, maybe I can squeeze in another planting of mustard greens and kale before it turns hot.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Another freezing cold night tonight. I spent thirty minutes outside covering everything again. I found a tarp and a little ratty tablecloth to use as an extra layer.

My iceplant is already coming up.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

My but it's yucky outside. The wind is so bad it blew over one of the front porch rocking chairs. I turned the chair on its side and left it laying. Those things are lightweight, I'm surprised it didn't fly off the porch, lol!

Yesterday I went ahead and picked the biggest cabbage. I used a kitchen knife to cut at the stalk but as hard as it was I should've used a chainsaw. I don't ever want that variety of cabbage again. (Whatever is it, I think it's a hybrid) I cooked the thing for about 3 hours and the core is still hard as a rock. If a tree doesn't blow over and break the power line I might put it back on the stove today and cook it for another hour.

Three out of four peppers are coming up so far and the coleus is up. I'm hoping to get the greenhouse up this week so I can get the youngsters outside.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Today was a picture perfect day: sunny, only a slight breeze, perfect temp (nice and warm but not hot). I got a head start on the greenhouse planting: zinnias, onions, Tiny Tim dwarf tomatoes and marigolds. Separated a few coleus babies that are already showing burgundy splotching. But I'm not the least bit finished here, tomorrow will be lovely to, but after that it will get cold again.
Attachments
20220210_165034~2.jpg

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

@TomatoNut Your greenhouse is a cleanhouse. Don't know how you manage that!

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Vanisle_BC wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 4:28 pm
@TomatoNut Your greenhouse is a cleanhouse. Don't know how you manage that!
I do like to keep my workstation clutter free because clutter frustrates me but this is only the begining of the season. It'll get worse later, trust me! :lol:

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Today is yucky, cold and raining so I will not be doing any gardening today. I got a good bit done yesterday: hoeing chickweed and pulling chickweed and griping at chickweed, picking a cabbage for supper and planting some tomato seeds. These tomatoes won't be for me though, I will plant mine in another week. I was texting with my cousin from Huston and she said she would take as many extra seedlings from me that I had, even if they were oddities. She's been so busy lately, plus she'll be taking in 2 foster dogs in soon so she's neglected to start her own seeds yet.

When I hoed in the old raised bed, I discovered about a million ants living in there. So while the cabbage was boiling on the stove, I boiled some water to dispose of them. I made three boilings with the medium sized saucepan. It helped some but there are still too many more that I hope to finish off today.

I received an email from Baker Creek making it sound like their prices would skyrocket by next year due to a global paper shortage and it was getting harder for them to make their catalogues, mailing pouches and seed packets. I had no idea there was a paper shortage???? I guess there aren't as many workers cutting down trees since the covid??

Anyway, I grabbed up a couple of tomato varieties I wanted plus Yellow Monster bell pepper. (I hope they don't send me more free purple carrot seeds) I probably will stop buying from Baker if their prices go higher than they already are. I'll start getting my seed off eBay.

imafan26
Mod

'Tis the life of a real gardener. Weeding is a never ending chore. Well, you have snow, that helps.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 10:18 pm
'Tis the life of a real gardener. Weeding is a never ending chore. Well, you have snow, that helps.
I was counting on it snowing so it would kill the chickweed but I never got snow and all the excessive frosts I've gotten this winter did not kill it. Chickweed is very indestructible, however, it is easy to grab a bunch of it and just pull it out. Most weeds like grass are rooted so deeply and thickly that they're hard to remove. If chickweed is truly edible maybe I should start eating it. I pulled up enough to make many salads with. But I don't have the guts to eat my garden weeds. However I do eat my wild onion greens. I used some recently to put in tomato soup.

imafan26
Mod

If you can pull it out and it doesn't grow back, you are so lucky. The weeds I have sometimes only need one or two nodes left behind to stay alive. Nut sedge, spurge, baby's tears, African Tulip, Fukien ti, Allspice, and another weedy tree that I don't even know the name of. I did cut down the McArthur palms in my front yard. I still have this years seedlings to deal with but it should get better. The weedy trees have to be pulled up very young or it is impossible to kill them just by cutting them down. I also have mother in law's tongue, syngonium, begonia, asparagus fern, California grass, and clover that keep coming back. Some of the weeds with waxy or shiny leaves cannot be killed by round up and I have to cut them and paint the fresh cut with triclopyr. I don't have chickweed, but I do have purslane. I just sprayed that one a few days ago.

Do you always grow through winter? Fall and winter are the best times for me to grow cool season crops, but I am surprised people would still plant so much outside where it gets very cold.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:27 am
If you can pull it out and it doesn't grow back, you are so lucky. The weeds I have sometimes only need one or two nodes left behind to stay alive. Nut sedge, spurge, baby's tears, African Tulip, Fukien ti, Allspice, and another weedy tree that I don't even know the name of. I did cut down the McArthur palms in my front yard. I still have this years seedlings to deal with but it should get better. The weedy trees have to be pulled up very young or it is impossible to kill them just by cutting them down. I also have mother in law's tongue, syngonium, begonia, asparagus fern, California grass, and clover that keep coming back. Some of the weeds with waxy or shiny leaves cannot be killed by round up and I have to cut them and paint the fresh cut with triclopyr. I don't have chickweed, but I do have purslane. I just sprayed that one a few days ago.

Do you always grow through winter? Fall and winter are the best times for me to grow cool season crops, but I am surprised people would still plant so much outside where it gets very cold.
I'm curious about African Tulip being a weed?? I also have had frustrations with purslane, which is heavily rooted and difficult to pull up.

Yes I always try to grow cold crops through the wintertime. I start them back in October or November and stuff semi-survives through until now. I've been told to take a break through the cold season but when else can I grow my cabbage and salad greens. I plan on squeezing in another planting of mustard greens and such before it turns too hot. If it would quit freakin' frosting all the time, I would start more now.

Today looks beautiful, if it'll warm up enough this afternoon I'll probably go outside. I have some more seeds to plant, ants to burn and weeds to pull. I hope my Giant Pink Belgium tomato seeds and plant markers arrive this week.

imafan26
Mod

African tulip is a tree. A non-native tree that is a street tree. It grows to 50 ft and the seed pods drop or are eaten by birds and once the seedling is over 6 inches tall, the tap root is almost impossible to dig out. I have had some that I missed and literally took me years of chopping and poisoning it to finally kill it. I did find out round up does not work as well on trees as triclopyr. Triclopyr is a lot more toxic, so I only use that as a very last resort.

https://plantpono.org/hpwra/spathodea-campanulata/
https://www.pacifichorticulture.org/art ... ip-tree-2/
https://www.biisc.org/plant/spathodea-c ... ulip-tree/

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Wow, african tulip tree is very pretty! But I understand that pretty much any plant, trees included, can be so troublesome when they come up where they're not supposed to. Mimosas trees can be that way. It seems to me that plants you're trying so hard to keep alive die so easily via insects, accidents, bad weather, etc. and the stuff you purposefully try to kill over and over just come right back. 😂 That's the way it goes for me anyway: if I want it, I lose it one way or another; if I can't stand it, there it is!

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

This has been one of the worst days... Today the wind is very very bad. My pathetic greenhouse blew over TWICE today. After the first time I anchored it down with rope and bricks but it didn't help and it blew away again and was punctured by a metal t-post. The IDIOTS that designed my greenhouse need to literally be slapped in the face. Since there is no back door, when the wind blows in the front door, it can't escape so it pushes up on the plastic, thus lifting the frame up, up and away. The wind will be worse tomorrow so I'll have to reinforce it even more.

applestar
Mod

Are you using rope — or better yet — webbing cargo straps tied to ground stakes that cross the roof back and forth in zigzag?

That’s the best tie-down for frame and cover type hoop and green houses.

I’m only using strong nylon string for the patio hoop house and since I can’t use ground stake due to the brick patio, I have the string tied down to (back and forth in zigzag order) — heavy teak patio chair, fence post on the other side, a semi-permanent cedar half barrel type planter, a propane gas grill, 250 ft garden hose reel, another fence post, and finally the garden faucet handle ….

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:42 pm
Are you using rope — or better yet — webbing cargo straps tied to ground stakes that cross the roof back and forth in zigzag?

That’s the best tie-down for frame and cover type hoop and green houses.

I’m only using strong nylon string for the patio hoop house and since I can’t use ground stake due to the brick patio, I have the string tied down to (back and forth in zigzag order) — heavy teak patio chair, fence post on the other side, a semi-permanent cedar half barrel type planter, a propane gas grill, 250 ft garden hose reel, another fence post, and finally the garden faucet handle ….
After the first accident, I secured the house in the middle by a rope, (and more bricks) which didn't help a bit. But now there are cinder blocks around it now, the wind blew strong all night and the greenhouse didn't budge, ha-ha! I prefer not to ground tie because the stakes would get in the way of mowing, weedeating or me moving around the house in the mornings and evenings pulling off or removing the extra plastic. I'm not exactly a graceful person; knowing me is trip on one, fall and hit my head on my rain barrel cover or one of my pots.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I have no idea whenever I'll be able to get in another cold crop planting before it gets too hot. I've entered the 'excessive rain season' and I can't plant little seeds without them washing away. Plus, after the rain it will probably frost again.

During all this warmth and rain, the humidity will be high. I'll need to ensure adequate air flow to my plants since my greenhouse is designed wrong. I thought about setting up a fan but as few plants as I have, instead of wasting the electricity, I can simply take the trays of packs out and sit them on the back porch out of the rain.

imafan26
Mod

I am musing, because you are in zone 8 and I am in zone 12a. I have a short season for cool crops too and even those have to be warm tolerant. Kale actually will grow all year long. It tastes sweeter when it is cooler, bitter in summer. I just harvested my carrots and they weren't bitter, they usually are. It was an under crop, so I did not expect a lot from it. It is already averaging 79 degrees for the high temps, so already past time to even think about starting romaine, broccoli, or carrots. What cool season crops that I have, I can stretch them out a bit, plant some looseleaf heat tolerant lettuce for a little while more, but my cool season is pretty much over.

Asian greens take more heat than lettuce. I can get some of those to last to June if it is not too hot. Broccoli, I only have room for a couple of plants anyway. I have two now. I have harvested the main heads and I can get side shoots until May. I don't have to deal with frost damaging my crops.

But, pests don't stop here. Snails come out even more in the rainy season and this year I have the monarchs and cabbage butterflies.

Swiss chard and perpetual spinach will grow all year. It is true in summer, it is not worth growing lettuce, it bolts and is bitter very fast. I don't like lettuce that much anyway.

I actually grow tomatoes nearly year round, eggplant, peppers, and this year I am planting more beans, unfortunately the snails have been eating the seedlings, so I have to keep trying. I am having more success with the bush beans than the pole beans.

I give you credit for trying to grow in weather than can turn to ice in a day's time. I am glad I don't have to do it.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Can you sprinkle DE around the bases of your plants to stop snails? Snails and slugs are never a problem in my garden and yet I see them quite often in the backyard.

My worst problems during the summer are worms, leaf miners and aphids. And In the wintertime I can still have bug problems; if it stays warm for too long little green cabbage worms will gnaw on the leaves. When it turns cold the worms web themselves up underneath the leaves and I have to pick them off when I wash the cabbage at the sink. But I can still miss them and see them trying to escape the boiling water in the pot I'm cooking the cabbage in and I have to fish them out. Nasty worms.

imafan26
Mod

DE works when it is dry. My yard is never dry. Snail bait works, I am using sulfur now since it is not attractive to the birds or the mice. I found 2 live snails yesterday and a lot of empty snail shells. Hair works as a barrier but I only have enough to protect one plant.

I usually don't have cabbage butterflies. This is the first year I have seen so many. Even the monarchs are out early. I did not see any bees foraging until later in the day. I guess they like it when it is warmer as well.

Right now the scale are on the lemon and bay leaves. I have treated for white flies but I have seen a few on the beans. Thrips, I don't even bother to treat unless they really impact the orchids. The hibiscus erineum mites and hibiscus mealy bugs are showing up on my neighbors' plants. I found one mite on Princess Michiko, so I have treated it.

I rarely have aphids, the predators do a good job of taking care of them. Even the fennel, dill, marigolds, and nasturtiums which are my trap plants don't't have any. The black aphids are not around yet. Usually they will bother the onions later. Although I have a little bit of damage from the cabbage butterflies, I don't see any caterpillars. I think the geckos are taking care of that. They like soft wormy things.

I get leaf miners, but it is not a problem so much at this time of the year. I have resistant varieties so downy mildew is not bothering much. I cannot grow sweet basil because of basil downy mildew. The basils that I do grow are mainly resistant or only show very little downy mildew (Thai basil, and occasionally ajaka) Mainly, I get bacterial spot on Chard and peppers. There is some kind of fumgal disease on the semposai, and I just pick off the bad leaves. I did have some problems with broad mites, but I cut back the basil and it seems under control now.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Sorry I haven't been posting, I've been very busy.

Today I harvested some nice broccoli offshoots. I hope to have a few more before it gets too hot.

This week has been very nice and warm, I was hoping to squeeze in another leafy greens planting but next week shows rain every single day. So I had to go to the trouble of planting mustard greens, kale, pak choy and whatever in six packs where the plants can grow big enough to not get washed away by flooding.

Also in the greenhouse I have planted Cosmos, various tomatoes varieties, yellow monster pepper, onion chives, bunching onion, hypoestes, Genovese basil. But unfortunately my hypoestes seems to have damping off. I'll try to put pics of my greenhouse stuff later.
Attachments
20220303_141619~2.jpg

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Just a few pics of what's happening in my greenhouse! :D

Today I need to fertilize, as well as separate a few tomato seedlings that germinated together.

Notice the highly splashed coloring on the coleus? This Pinto Mix from Baker Creek is much prettier than the Rainbow mix you typically find in within any seed rack.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220316-095923~2.png
Screenshot_20220316-095932~2.png
Screenshot_20220316-095940~2.png
Screenshot_20220316-095949~2.png
Screenshot_20220316-095959~2.png
Screenshot_20220316-100007~2.png

imafan26
Mod

You have that plastic greenhouse. Do you have problems with it getting too hot or humid inside? About how many trays can you keep in there and what are the dimensions?

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:59 am
You have that plastic greenhouse. Do you have problems with it getting too hot or humid inside? About how many trays can you keep in there and what are the dimensions?
I could write a book about the problems with plastic greenhouses. Especially this one. While they are good to use until your plants are old enough to plant in-ground and then take the greenhouse down, plastic greenhouses are of poor quality and are not durable. Zippers or ties on the door(s) and vent screens can break, the frame is cheap and can bend, the plastic is not heavy duty. Expect it to get weather worn fast and start looking like Swiss cheese. Put an extra layer of heavy duty clear plastic over the greenhouse at least on days and nights when the wind is bad or strong storms are expected, that should help it last longer. (My extra plastic is an old chicken house curtain I got for free from my aunt and uncle after they retired from the chicken business and all I had to do was just cut the length of the curtain to fit. Works like a dream) AND its a must to keep plastic greenhouses as tied or bricked down to the ground as possible. I'm not the only owner of a plastic greenhouse that's had it blow over.

Now, as for the heating and cooling: DO NOT buy a greenhouse designed like mine. This current model I am using was created by people dumber than plants. This 9 1/2 foot long walk in house has only ONE door and the 4 cooling vents (two on each side) are at the bottom. (Any kid that went to science class could've told those idiot designers that heat rises up and out not sinks and flows out the bottom) Strong winds that blow inside the front door cannot escape easily since there is no back door for it pass through thus it pushes on the frame and plastic. If it gets 80+ degrees outside greenhouse is like an oven because I have to take all the trays out and set them out on the ground.

If you want a walk in greenhouse that provides a way for adequate air flow find one with TWO doors and the cooling vents at the top of the house. Also make sure its tall enough. Mine is supposed to be 6 foot tall, the top of my head grazes the ceiling.

As for the number of trays the house will hold, that varies. I have 4 homemade tables inside, one is specifically for the heater to set on only. The other three are 5 feet long (one is shorter almost 4 1/2 ft) and will hold approximately 6-7 trays each. My trays vary in size, some are narrow some are wide.

Hope this helps! :D
Attachments
20220402_094238~2.jpg
20220402_093915_HDR~2.jpg

imafan26
Mod

Thanks. I was thinking of getting one or making one. I see I will have to look at other options. I need something that is easy to put together but the frame needs to be sturdy. I would not be using the cover since I don't need frost protection. I have used tent poles and connectors. It works except it can't handle the weight of vines. The 1/2 inch pole bent.

applestar
Mod

Two sturdy options I’m always on the look out for are carports and farm animal run-in shelters.

Also, now that COVID mitigation measures are dwindling, there might be surplus or used-but-still-good outdoor dining shelters that some restaurants are not needing?

In any event, prices for these start to go down as the weather gets warmer, so keep track and follow the trends

imafan26
Mod

Thanks Applestar. I never thought of those options. I will keep an eye out for second hand objects that might fit the bill.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

For the past week or more I've been plagued by a gateway and I'm not able to view a lot of newly posted topics. :( So somebody please fill me in on what the outage was, and 50 year old gardening books Gary posted and did @applestar find another snake?

Today I rescued some flowers and veggies from a plant abusive hardware store this morning. Plants were dying of thirst and aphid infestations. Woman blamed the wind for the plants death and misery???? That's a lame excuse for not taking care of your plants! I got my rescues home and gave them some miracle gro. I hope they'll perk up, woman was wrong to charge me full price for sick plants. If you're ignorant and lazy on taking care of plants don't have them in your store at all!

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I'm unable to replay to @imafans Easter topic thanks to a gateway that is blocking me from viewing new topics so let me say here that I hope everyone has a great Easter weekend!

Garden: I've gotten a little head start and have gotten 4 tomatoes planted so far, Helsing Junction Blue, Thorburns Terra Cotta, Orange Accordion, and Giant Pink Belgium.

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”