lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Prospects for a Fall Crop this year

Every year my tomato plants take a DIVE about mid July (heat and humidity). Also every year I try to grow some late plants to produce tomatoes on into the Fall. Sometimes it works!

Here's hoping that these plants hang on thru hot August and these blooms turn into ripe maters one day. Will be great if I have to pick a bunch of green tomatoes before the first frost. (I also have a late squash plant that the bugs don't have yet)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Very good looking plants and ..

. a Beautiful Setting.

We will be keeping our fingers crossed that hurricane season will spare you and yours.

Steve

imafan26
Mod

Good looking plants. Better than mine. I am still surprised that mine are still putting out new shoots and flowers at this late date. I thought they would be done for sure. I have tomatoes popping up as weeds as well.

I am hoping for a decent fall season as well.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Good luck with the later crop! They look great - mine probably look like the ones you pulled - all that heat and humidity! I know a few down south that always grow 2 crops for many things, like tomatoes. The first is always best, but sometimes the second crop gives them a good amount, as long as there are no early frosts.

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

pepperhead212 wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:18 pm
Good luck with the later crop! They look great - mine probably look like the ones you pulled - all that heat and humidity! I know a few down south that always grow 2 crops for many things, like tomatoes. The first is always best, but sometimes the second crop gives them a good amount, as long as there are no early frosts.
When I have had success with Fall tomatoes I have been amazed at the taste. Usually smaller tomatoes. I have an unproven theory that a tomato has only a certain amount of taste, and if you bundle all that taste into a small tomato you are in for a treat!! At least it sounds good

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”