pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Re: pepperhead212's 2021 garden

I got my peppers covered - the 3 Earthboxes in which I grow the varieties that attract the pepper maggot flies, mostly milder varieties. I used the fine tulle fabric, instead of the thinnest Agribon that I have used before. I'll see how it works out. It's easier for the air to go through, and much easier to see through.
ImageTwo Big Chili Numex, and two Jalafuegos, covered, to keep the pepper maggot flies off of the. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageThree Giuzeppi Numex, and one Ancho Ranchero, covered with tulle fabric. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Image2 Hanoi market, 2 Superthai, left in the back, and 1 Hong Gochu, on the right, in the back, covered. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageThe Hot Paper Lantern on the right, getting flowers already - first of the chinense varieties to flower. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The lettuce is doing well, but I assume I will have to use it quickly, since we are getting hotter soon - 5 days in the 90s in the 10 day forecast.
ImageLettuce is doing well, but more heat is coming, unfortunately. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageMore lettuce, shadowed by the dill. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageMore lettuce, barely visible through all the dill and chives. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

As you can see, the dill is also doing great, and I have a bunch of volunteer dills around my garden, as well.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Today, I planted my first basil clones - the Thai basils. The others are behind, and the holy basil clones died - I think they were much thinner. I'll have to wait for some thicker stems.
ImageThai basil, ready to plant. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageThai basil, planted in the Jr Earthboxes. 6-2 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Plus, I planted those sprouted beans, from my seed sprouter - still 4 spots left, for the ones that I only had a couple from...hopefully, some more will sprout.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I planted 2 more basil clones today, and put 3 more cuttings in the cloner. The one gecofure clone is almost ready - probably will be tomorrow.
ImageSerrata basil clones, with generous roots, after they were barely visible 2 days earlier. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageSerrata basil clones, planted on 6-4 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Those peppers I covered in the Earthboxes have easily doubled in size in just 6 days since I covered them. I see some small peppers forming on the Giuzeppi, but that's all, so far. This morning I got up very early, and did a little work out front, and on the side where the peppers are, since it's in the shade then. I sprayed the okra, peppers, and flower plants with Surround, and found out that I can actually spray right through the tulle fabric, onto the plants! Eventually, when I start seeing peppers, I stop spraying with the Surround, but I figure I'll put what I can on, which helps deter some of the insects.
ImageGiuzeppi Numex and Ancho Ranchero, 6-7 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageHanoi Market, Hong Gochu, and Superthai, 6-7 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

That 42 day variety has 5 days left! There are a number of full sized ones on the plants, but these last few days they have become covered with blossoms! You can't see the tomatoes well in this photo, as they are covered with the later growth, but this shows what I mean about all those blossoms!
Image42 day tomatoes, with a large amount of flowers on them, 6-7 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I'm starting to see a good number of new tomatoes on more of the varieties, but all still cherry/grape. Here's a photo of one the 42 day tomatoes; though the largest are sort of hidden, you can see they are forming quickly - the only other variety with well formed tomatoes (though not nearly as many) are the Cherry Brownies, which are also over 2½' tall. The Kustengold is the fastest growing this year, and was my first bloomer, but the tomatoes are smaller, so far.
Image42 day tomatoes, 6-7 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Still no ripening tomatoes - day 48, for the 42 day tomato, but we had a cool May. I have found two peppers forming - Hong Gochu, and Giuzeppi Numex. Not full sized yet, but they are starting to grow fast.
I found my second variety with a pepper on it today - the Giuzeppi Numex. It's over 3", but gets a lot larger.
ImageFirst pepper of the year, 6-15, Hong Gochu by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageGiuzeppi Numex, second variety starting to produce! Over 3 inches long, 6-17 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

applestar
Mod

Woohoo! ….aaaand they’re off! :-()

Great start for another productive season. …The tomatoes should put in more effort to develop and ripen in the coming the hot days.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Those Giuzeppi Numex are growing really fast - this one is even larger than the first one I found. I'm glad I have 3 of them - they were one of them that I had extras of, to fill up pots where seeds didn't germinate. I'll soon see how well they taste, how large they grow, and how productive they are (and they look quite productive).
ImageAnother Giuzeppi Numex, already 6 inches long. 6-19 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

When I went out this morning to survey any damage from that wind last night (was supposed to rain hard, but only .13" came down, with all that wind and thunder), I discovered a few tomatoes that had parts of them blown down, but fortunately, not broken. These were large portions, not just a single section, so I gathered them together, and tied them to the trellis with that vinyl (or whatever it is) tape. I also discovered some bottle gourds formed, on the plants I have planted in the ground - I don't see any forming on the plants in the SIP, growing on the trellis. I did find at least a half dozen bitter melons starting out on that trellis, only about 1" long, so far.

Here are two of the five bottle gourds I found, 2-3" long, so far. I did not hand pollinate any of those, like I usually do with the ones on the trellis. I'll find out if they grow well, or if I'm going to have to hand pollinate (the blossoms open at night, so bees don't help as much). When I harvest butternut squash blossoms, I find a lot of insects in them, so I'm hoping that they will be in these, too, being on the ground.
ImageBottle Gourds, beginning to grow, 6-22 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

applestar
Mod

night-blooming gourd blossoms are often pollinated by moths and other night flyers. Do you have increased hornworm issues with the gourds in the garden? I wondered if they might contribute when I grow luffah….

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

apple, Fortunately, I've never had a problem with hornworms, though I watch closely for them. I'm not sure what types of moths are most common around here, so I don't know what are the main night pollinators.

So, luffa are also night blooming? I didn't remember that about them. I can't grow those because of SVBs. I attempted to grow those long ago, and got a couple of the squash, before the SVB took over. Little did I know then...

imafan26
Mod

Gourds take a lot of space but they are very productive.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I got another several 42 Day tomatoes blushing, so that one is on its way! And the first variety that actually blossomed - Kustengold - is ripening now.
ImageFirst ripe Kustengold, 6-23, which was the first flowering tomato this year, second to ripen. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Unfortunately, one variety is not looking good - Louisiana All Season. Some disease seams to be taking over it, despite the fungicides I've tried on it. But fortunately, whatever it is doesn't seem to be spreading to any of the others, so I may pull the plants - it's not like I won't have enough!
ImageHorrible looking LOUISIANA ALL SEASON - the only variety of mine diseased, so far. I might pull it. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here are most (but not all) of the others, showing that they are doing well, unlike these.
ImageRow of tomatoes before the diseased LA All Season. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageCherry tomatoes, plus tomatillos and eggplants, down at the end. 6-23 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The first cukes are forming now, too! The largest about 3" now.
ImageFirst cucumber forming, 6-22, a Wisconsin 58 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

And the first Butterbush forming:
ImageFirst Butterbush squash formed, 6-23 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

My sunsugar - the usual first to ripen - started today - a few on each plant, instead of just one. Once this one starts, there's no stopping it!
ImageSunsugar, 6-27, finally ripening. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

That one Kustengold that ripened had really good flavor, though not as sweet as sunsugar, which was expected. The 42 day was OK, but no great flavor - maybe I'll get better flavor if I let them ripen more.

I planted two sprouted WI 58 cucumber seeds in that SIP that I pulled those diseased tomatoes from. One more County Fair will go between these, when it is sprouted.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Later I dug up 4 Giant Montana, that definitely weren't giant, and 3 Metechi, which are the largest of the 7 that had browned almost entirely, except for the stalk. The rest of the metechi look good, and none of the Estonian Red or the Extra Hardy German Porcelain were early browners. A lot of the Giant Montanas are small, and didn't grow that well this year, which is disappointing, as they stored well from last year, like the metechi.
ImageGarlic that is browned early, 6-27 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Another week or so, and I'll probably dig up the rest, though the metechi might go a little longer.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

All of my eggplants have at least one formed, even the Ichiban, which was way behind the other two, yet is now caught up! This didn't surprise me, because it is usually first, somewhere in mid-June, when I don't have to start a second batch of seeds. I am still wondering if the Hari is going to be what I have always gotten, as the blossoms are a light purple (not as dark as most), whereas before, they have been white. I see it is green, but I'll see if it is as large, and productive. The Neon is an F3 - unfortunately, they stopped carrying this anywhere a few years ago, so I saved the seeds, and it is definitely a hybrid. Last year, the F2 seeds I grew produced almost identical fruits, but someone I shared them with got one with black fruit, which he thought produced better than the one with purple, so he saved that, and I saved mine, to see what the F3s would be like. Haven't heard from him, but mine are turning out white! (They look sort of greenish, from the leaf reflection) Go figure. This is why saving hybrid seeds is hit or miss.
ImageFitrst Hari eggplant - 6-27 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFirst Ichiban - 6-27 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageSeveral Neon F3s - 6-27 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Dug up 94 heads of garlic today! The Montana Giant had more brown than I usually like, but the Extra Hardy German Porcelain had around 3 brown stems, with only 2 on a few. The Estonian Red was 2-3 each. But with possible heavy rain coming, with the end of this heat wave (still one more day :( ), I wanted to get those out. Still 52 metechi in,as those are just starting to brown, though I did dig up another that was totally browned, and like the other 3 early ones, the size wasn't too bad, compared to usual for early browned stalks.

I got a head for all of the Estonian Reds and Montana Giants that I planted, and all but one of the Porcelains. Looks like 3 of the 60 Metechi didn't sprout, but that's still not a bad percentage.

Amazingly, when I went down to clean out my basement, to make room for curing the new harvest, all 6 of the Montana Giants still there were still good - not in perfect condition, but still useable! I had just used the end of the Metechis from last season - the smallest, as a rule, but longest lasting. And these Montana Giants are up there with them, for long storing hardnecks.
Image29 Montana Giants, which were actually the smallest! 6-29 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Image28 Extra Hardy German Porcelain. 6-29 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Image32 heads of Estonian Red, the largest, this season. 6-29 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Always a couple of sacrifices, when doing this, though they really won't be wasted!
ImageA damaged Montana and Porcelain - to be used soon! by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I don't have any problems with vampires in my house! :lol:

Those bottle gourds in the ground are doing well, without hand pollinating, though I did see one that didn't get pollinated, and is looking bad - I'll have to pull that one. There are at least 7 around 6" long, a few shorter.
ImageBottle gourds, about 6 inches long, 6-29 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

imafan26
Mod

Looking good. The squash tips are also edible.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 11:11 am
Looking good. The squash tips are also edible.
Another thing that I have eaten from those bottle gourds is the tendrils, which they have hundreds of! When plucking off those tips, to stop the spreading, the tendrils can be snipped - they don't need all of them! Pea tendrils are another such item. Amazing some of the things I wouldn't have thought of eating, if I hadn't seen it in an Asian cookbook.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Those 42 Day Tomatoes finally kicked in ripening! Only one or two here and there, until today, when I got at least 25 with at least a blush! Today was day 60, after transplants of most of my tomatoes. Another half dozen Sunsugars in the bowl (I eat most of these in the garden!), and one Cherry Brownie getting a blush on it.
ImageMostly 42 Day, a few Sunsugar, and the large one in the center, a Cherry Brownie - the first one with a blush. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Another unusual harvest today was squash vine tips, and tendrils - 4 oz of them, and could have had a lot more, but the heat was horrendous out there, and no breeze! Most of these were from the bottle gourds. The rest will wait until a cooler day. These taste similar to squash blossoms. I brought in a few from the bitter melons, to see if there was any bitterness in the tips and tendrils, and there wasn't, so next time I can trim those - they are all over!
ImageSquash vine tips and tendrils - 6-30 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Today I got my first two cukes - those WI 58 picklers. And a couple okra - I have to stick that pair of kitchen shears out there, to snip these off with.
ImageFirst okra - Emerald. 7-1 The little lucy is not doing well this year - do not know why. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFirst two WS 58 picklers, just under 6 inches. 7-1 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I got quite a few more tomatoes today, the only new one being Honeycomb. Several more each of 42 days, cherry brownies, and kustengold, and a few sunsugars.

Those bitter melons are close to harvest. If there were more this size, I may have harvested them today, but maybe tomorrow, along with one of those bottle gourds, which is very close to picking size.
ImageFirst of two bitter melons/gourds, 7-1, a little over 6 inches. Maybe pick tomorrow. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageSecond, slightly larger of the bitter melons/gourds, 7-1 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Today I harvested two of the bottle gourds. I thought the two bitter melons would be ready, but the smaller ones started growing more, and those two look the same! I harvested the first 3 eggplants of the season, the Ichiban (always first, but the seedling was behind the others, since I had to start another batch of seeds) and the F3 Neon. The guy I shared the F2 seeds with last year got almost black fruits, and mine looked like Neons always look - the lavender color. This year, his and mine from those are white, or close to it!
ImageTwo Neon F3s, and one Ichiban eggplant, 7-2 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageBottle gourds - 7-2 - the longer alok, and the shorter Dhol. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

And here's a scallion I will use in a Szechwan dish tonight. I let these go to seed, and one will give about 3 c of chopped onions. I have to wear my goggles when chopping, as these are intense!
ImageA scallion, that looks like a leek! Will be the equivalent of the 12 that the recipe calls for. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I wanted to do more outside today, once the rain stopped, but it was just too humid! It was "only" 78°, but not a leaf moving, and 72° dewpoint. Still, I did one thing, that meant going out there some - I took down my hydroponics setup. I took all those plants out - hated wasting them (not total waste, as it went into the compost), but all that is growing well outside now, so no need for any more cuttings, or inside harvest. Won't need it until October now; still have clean it all up, of course. ::) I also cut out all but one of my 7 lettuce plants on my deck - they were all bolting, but one just started, and was one of the largest, so I left that to go to seed. I got a packed gallon of leaves, the rest went in the composter.

Those roots on those plants in the hydroponics never cease to amaze me, especially since when
I break it down every year, I have been neglecting it for at least a month!
ImageThe roots of one of the basil plants in the hydroponics. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Image6 bolting lettuce plants, in the composter. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Three more bottle gourds, and one more WI 58 cuke. I didn't want to dig around any of the plants, since they were all wet, all day, due to frequent downpours - just enough to wet everything down.
Image3 more bottle gourds. 7-3 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

imafan26
Mod

You can pick bitter melon even when they are small. The smaller ones are usually a little m ore bitter. They will start to turn yellow/orange when they ripen. The seed color will change to a bright red orange.

I make chicken tinola with gourd (gourd replaces green papaya in the recipe), or pork and squash. It can also be put in sari sari.

Do you have mites? The scarring on the okra looks like mite damage. The leaves will usually show stippling or curling as well.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

imafan26 wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:46 am
You can pick bitter melon even when they are small. The smaller ones are usually a little m ore bitter. They will start to turn yellow/orange when they ripen. The seed color will change to a bright red orange.

I make chicken tinola with gourd (gourd replaces green papaya in the recipe), or pork and squash. It can also be put in sari sari.

Do you have mites? The scarring on the okra looks like mite damage. The leaves will usually show stippling or curling as well.
My problem with the okra is aphids, but what you see on those okra is the leftover Surround I sprayed on them. I don't know why the aphids seem more attracted to Little Lucy this time, as it seemed the opposite last year!

I pulled the first bitter melons today. I am guessing this is about maximum size for this variety - previous similar looking varieties grew larger.
ImageBitter gourd/melon, largest about 7 inches. 7-4 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

imafan26
Mod

Put out ant bait to help with the aphids. I have white flies but aphids only appear on stressed plants. Your bitter melon is a decent size. 6-8 inches is good. I did grow some bitter melon over a foot, but to get it that long you have to cull some of the fruit and the vine needs to be watered and well fed. I prefer the smaller bitter melon, because, I don't really want a lot of bitter melon to eat at one time.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

The small tomatoes are starting to ripen faster now, at least a couple of the varieties. Some, still haven't had one ripe one! However, I see a couple of my larger ones blushing, and this is early! I got over 2 quarts of tomatoes today - a few 42 day and kustengold, but mostly cherry brownies and sunsugar. Found the first two ripe chocolate cherry ones, too.
ImageThe highest output of the tomatoes, so far, mostly cherry brownies and sunsugars, from 2 plants each. 7-5 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I picked the end of my garlic today - 51 metechi, which was fairly large, for that variety. There were a few small ones, which I bundled together, as I do with the small ones of other varieties, but I will still save those, as even the small ones store better than others. Only one got damaged, out of the 52 I had left.
ImageMetechi - 50 on 7-8 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Later I checked all of my tomatoes, as well as other plants on the trellises, to make sure they are attached well, as the end of Elsa is coming up the coast. Probably won't get much here, but I just wanted to be safe, in case the wind picks up.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

My Numex peppers are getting fully grown now - the Giuzeppi is what I picked, about 7½", without the stems. The Big Chili Numex seems about the same - I didn't pick any, but a couple seemed to have stopped growing, so it won't be long. I also picked a bunch of gold cherry tomatoes, ripe, or just starting - only a few of the reds and blacks, so far. And my first two large tomatoes were ripening! The largest of the two June Pinks was 14.0 oz.
Image2 1/2 qts of ripening cherry tomatoes, plus 2 fully grown Giuzeppi Numex, 7-10 by pepperhead212, on Flickr
ImageMy first ripening large tomatoes - June Pink - 14.0 and 9.7 oz, on 7-10 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

applestar
Mod

Looking good! :clap: Your harvest is always amazing. :D

…I was wondering — I am starting to apply supplemental fertilizer to my in-ground fruiting crops since they have begun to set fruit. What do I do with the SIP’s? Was the original massive supply of fertilizer at planting sufficient?

I do foliar feed occasionally, but do I need to add to the reservoir/root-level feed?

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

apple, I don't add any more fertilizer, except for the weekly so called "snacks" of a tsp at a time of calcium nitrate for the Ca and some N, and every 2 weeks or so a half tsp of epsom salts for the Mg. I have some "bloom" fertilizer, which I have had for years, and only used it a couple of times in previous years when some stopped blooming in extreme heat, but no tomatoes or eggplants have stopped this season, and everything blooms well enough on their own! I might end up using it with those determinate tomatoes, though I'm not sure if they have another flush in them, like peppers do.

applestar
Mod

Thanks! I have both so will plan out a routine for them asap.

imafan26
Mod

How do you eat your Numex peppers? I have one now that is ready to pick.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

imafan - I sometimes just use the Numex diced up like bell beppers. Other times I roast the peppers over an open flame, to char the skin black, then peel them, and use the softened flesh, in recipes calling for poblanos and similar chiles. I have also diced them up a little over 1/2" square, and dehydrated them, and use them in curries and soups.

imafan26
Mod

Thanks for the ideas on the numex chile. I only have one so I'll use them like a bell pepper. Maybe I will add it to my next omelette.

How long does it take for your peppers to fruit. It seems you started yours later, but I am still waiting on some of mine that are just flowering now. The hot peppers mature faster. Sweet peppers are taking their time. Most of them are just flowering and there are some small fruit even though the plants were started almost 5 months ago.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

How funny! I just made an omelette this morning, with one of those chiles! I just sautéed it briefly, then added the beaten eggs, and when cooked almost completely, I folded some shredded cheese inside it, and turned it out.

Almost all of my peppers were started from seed on 4-1, and they start fruiting in mid to late June, and some will begin ripening in mid July. The chinense varieties I started on 3-8, and they have some full sized peppers, but nothing ripening yet - usually later July for those. The Paper Lantern habanero was the slowest to germinate, and the slowest growing one, at first (I didn't even have to transplant it to a larger pot, like I did the rest), but it was the first to flower, and has a bunch of peppers on it, in several clusters.
ImageThunderbird, 7-11 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageThai Vesuvius, 7-11. Have to look hard, but there are a lot of them! by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageSome full size chocolate habs, but not ripening yet. 7-11 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageA few full size Death Spiral, but not ripening yet. 7-11 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageA cluster of Paper Lantern Habaneros, a few full size, but none ripening yet. 7-11 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

This photo is hazy, since these, and other mild peppers are covered with tulle fabric, to keep pepper maggot flies off.
ImageOne of the Big Chili Numex plants, showing some of the chlies on it. 7-11 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I harvested a few eggplants, and more cherry tomatoes - would have had more tomatoes, plus some cukes, but the lightning stopped me! :lol:
ImageOne Hari, two Ichiban, and five Neon eggplants, 7-12, and a batch of ripening cherry tomatoes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

All of my pepper plants are getting peppers on them, some of them, like the Thais, loaded with them. Even the chinense peppers all have some full sized ones on them. Nothing is ripening yet, but soon, the superchili will have some ripening - the first ones almost every year to start. Here are some photos, of some of the peppers on the different plants.
ImageThunder Mountain, 7-11 by pepperhead212, on Flickr
The one above has been corrected to Thunder Mountain. Originally labeled Thunderbird - sorry about the mistake.

ImageThai Vesuvius, 7-11. Have to look hard, but there are a lot of them! by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageOne of the Big Chili Numex plants, showing some of the chlies on it. 7-11 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

And here are some of the chinense peppers:
ImageA cluster of Paper Lantern Habaneros, a few full size, but none ripening yet. 7-11 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageA few full size Death Spiral, but not ripening yet. 7-11 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageSome full size chocolate habs, but not ripening yet. 7-11 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageThe Chocolate Habanero plant in one of the back beds. 7-11 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The cucumbers are doing very well - would have picked more today, but got halted by lightning! Unfortunately, they are a main attractant to those invasive spotted lantern flies in my area. Fortunately, they do not seem to like tomatoes at all. However, cukes, bitter melons, eggplants, and okra get a lot of them. I spray some neem oil and pyrethrin on them late in the day (after bees have gone to bed), and the plants stay clear for a couple of days, but that's it. And the Surround does nothing to bother them. I dusted with DE, but it is only temporary. Hopefully, none of you are having to deal with this, but if you are in E Pa, or the western part of NJ, you've probably seen them. And they are spreading. :(

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Late yesterday I picked a few cukes, and early today, I picked some bitter melons and a couple more eggplants. It is so disgusting out there that I really don't spend much time out there at a time, but yesterday I 'tilled the garlic row, plus several other rows of weeds, which have been running rampant, with the rain and humidity. When we were in a drought, the weeds didn't like it!
ImageOne County Fair, and four Wisconsin 58 cukes, 7-13 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageBitter melons, 7-14 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I ended up with my first batch of veggies in the dehydrator today - the eggplants, though there will be tomatoes, soon.
ImageFirst eggplant in the dehydrator this year. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Most of the tomatoes are ripening now, even the large varieties. Most of the cherries are producing large numbers.

The earliest and largest tomatoes, so far, are June Pink and Marizol. Already a couple of each over 14 oz, and the others 8-10 oz. Here is today's harvest:
Image4 June Pink, and 2 Marizol, on R. 7-14 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Those Golden Buddhas started ripening today, with a few starting to blush. Those 42 day cherries are starting to fade out. Not any new flowers yet, but maybe there will be. At any rate, the flavor is better than store bought, but not as good as most of the others, and since it didn't ripen much faster than some of the others, I won't be growing it again.
ImageTwo Golden Buddha, just starting to ripen, and a few 42 Day, slowing down production, 7-14 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Those gold cherry/grapes are starting to produce big time! The Sunsugars were the first to produce in large numbers, the Kustengold was earlier, but only a few at a time. Now, it's producing a lot at a time. The Weetang Shebang took longer, but had a large amount suddenly start ripening! These are slightly smaller than the largest sunsugars and kustengolds, but more uniform.
ImageKustengold, 7-14 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageWeetang Shebang cherry, 7-14 by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The Wow! Sungold and Burpee Honeycomb are smaller, and more grape shape. And the Wow! Plants are both strangely lanky, with elongated vines, like they are reaching for light! No others are doing this. The two black ones - Cherry Brownie and Chocolate Cherry are larger, and the Chocolate Cherry has great flavor, like most placks, but develops bad spots quickly, like most blacks I've tried - must be used quickly. I'll have photos of these later.

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”