Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Tennessee 2021 Garden

I tilled garden soil 5 times in 5 days trying to kill chickweed. Blue birds have babies in bird house bottom left corner of picture.
Attachments
100_9445.JPG
100_9439.JPG

Nyan

Nice plot!

You're far ahead of me on getting ready to plant.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Is broccoli & boc choy day length sensitive or heat sensitive? I'm not sure if we should pick broccoli today or leave it a bit longer, 1 plant bolted & the other plants like they are about to bolt too? Is there a trick to get good broccoli heads?

This is last years crop planted from seeds about first week of Oct a month before first frost. We had 78° weather a few weeks ago plants grew larger. After the blizzard & 7" of rain plants did not grow much in cold weather until the past 4 days. Boc choy bolted 3 weeks ago yellow flowers sure look nice & they attract honey bees. I have been watching honey bees all day but they leave when I try to get good pictures. 1 cauliflower plant is starting to grow a tiny head. I have been eating, Chard & Russian Kale on sandwiches & burgers. All plants survived the cold winter weather test nothing died in 15° to 18° weather.

Wife said, she was always told bolting broccoli is poison. I don't believer that?
Attachments
100_9505.JPG
100_9506.JPG
100_9513.JPG
100_9514.JPG
100_9510.JPG
100_9507.JPG
100_9511.JPG
100_9504.JPG

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

As much as I love broccoli, I wish I could grow it by the truckload. But since I'm not good at growing cold crops, my guess is that broccoli is probably heat sensitive and naturally bolts when it turns hot.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

TomatoNut95 wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:51 pm
As much as I love broccoli, I wish I could grow it by the truckload. But since I'm not good at growing cold crops, my guess is that broccoli is probably heat sensitive and naturally bolts when it turns hot.
You should be able to grow good WINTER broccoli in TX from seeds 1 month before freezing weather. When I lived in Phoenix AZ area I planted broccoli seeds Nov 1st temperature were 65° every day & 21° to 25° at night Jan & Feb. Plants made good heads better than TN. AZ sand soil has no food value for plants if you don't fertilize & water there won't be a garden. My TN broccoli survived 15° temperatures several nights this winter are you having 15° temperatures at night in TX ?

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

The last two times I grew broccoli it was killed by snow.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

TomatoNut95 wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:43 pm
The last two times I grew broccoli it was killed by snow.
I wonder if all broccoli is not cold weather hardy? I know for a fact if broccoli is not given a chance to slowly get use to cold temperatures sudden cold will kill it. 2 years ago I bought broccoli plants and put them in the garden about April 1st a few days later I covered plants to protect them from frost several days they were ok. Then we had a freeze only 30° that killed all 8 plants. This year I planted seeds a month before frost and did nothing all winter to protect plants. Plants were covered with freezing rain & ice then the blizzard with 7" of snow. 15° several times all winter. None of my broccoli, cabbage, chard, boc choy, kale, were killed by bad weather. You need to do several experiments to learn what works. I wonder if, change in soil & change in climate, & change in water is why store bought plants die in cold weather. 35 years ago I was frustrated with broccoli so I tossed all my seeds into the garden to get ride of them, they all grew and lived, best broccoli crop I ever grew. LOL.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

As strange as Texas weather is, I have to look for cold crops that say they are both heat and cold tolerate. If weather were normal and stay consistent, and didn't snow, I wouldn't have so much trouble with cold crops.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I picked all the broccoli today there is 1 nice big head, the rest is spindly looking with several good broccoli spears. I should have picked broccoli 2 days ago before it got so spindly. I ate 1 broccoli spear not cooked not washed right from the garden it tastes very good. Little, white, yellow, orange color butterflies are every where already. Plants still have several tiny spears that can grow larger if they will.
Attachments
100_9519.JPG
100_9518.JPG
100_9517.JPG
100_9516.JPG

applestar
Mod

I think you were right to pick the eating quality broccoli now. As soon as those yellow flowers start to bloom, the white cabbage butterflies will be everywhere... and then you’ll start finding cabbageworms.

The unopened or just unfolding flowerbuds and Opened yellow blossoms are fabulous sprinkled as garnish on salad, soups, sandwiches. Test the flowerstalks — sometimes they are too wiry and fibrous to eat — you have to pluck the flowers off. Blossoms are sometimes sweet with nectar in them. I believe the foliage turns a bit bitter but are good Blanched and sautéed with garlic and olive oil as long as texture doesn’t get too tough.

Also, if you let the flowers go to seed, you can grow sprouts or micro-greens with them later, or you can test them and see if they can be substituted for mustard seeds. Most commercially available broccoli starts are hybrid so you can count on them to grow the same way, but you could also trial them and grow from the seeds again later if you are so inclined.

imafan26
Mod

I can only grow broccoli if the temperature at the time of heading is between 65-75 degrees. It is the heat that causes it to bolt, not the day length. But according to what I have read it is the soil temperature, not the air temperature that matters. I plant the broccoli in the shadiest part of the garden. Mulching also keeps the soil cool and I water everyday if it doesn't rain enough so my soil will stay cool for quite some time. When the broccoli plants get large, they produce their own shade over the soil. They will also hide snails, so I have to watch out for that. I plant intensively in my small garden so plants are spaced so the leaves are almost touching each other (sometimes touching when I miscalculate the spacing, then I have to cut the leaves of at least one of the plants that are touching.)

There are more heat tolerant broccoli varieties and those are the only ones I grow. They do not form large heads but will put out multiple mini heads after the main head is harvested. I plant broccoli in September and I can harvest mini shoots up until May in most years. I can only grow two plants because they take up so much space in my garden. The varieties I have successfully grown have been Green Comet (I can't find seeds anymore), Italian Sprouting, DiCicco, Imperial, and Green Magic. I can find Italian sprouting and DiCicco seeds the easiest so that is what I usually grow. The main head is not large but they both produce many side shoots that can be harvested over and extended time and the young leaves are also edible.

I can plant gai lan or Chinese broccoli and choi sum a little longer and can use them as a broccoli substitute for stir fries and soup.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:44 pm
I think you were right to pick the eating quality broccoli now.
We cooked that whole bunch of broccoli & ate 1/2 of it, it is very good even the long leggy stuff.
imafan26 wrote:
Wed Mar 24, 2021 7:48 pm
I can only grow broccoli if the temperature at the time of heading is between 65-75 degrees.
I found a YouTube video some people in China growing, broccoli, Napa cabbage, savoy cabbage, in a green house. Their green house is white frosted plastic to block suns heat on plant leaves. They said, broccoli will bolt above 65°F. Napa will make leaves instead of heads above 65°F and bolt above 75°F. Video said, plants do not grow below 50°F. 50°to 65° is a small window to grow in.

In full sun with no frosted green house plastic laser thermometer shows full sun on plants leaves is 90° while air temperature is 60°. 2 weeks ago we had a week of 75° weather no wonder my broccoli bolted.

No wonder my Napa makes leaves & no heads sun is too hot in the leaves. I need a white bed sheet over broccoli & Napa so they get sun light but no heat. No wonder Boc Choy bolted.

I have 1 head of cauliflower starting to grow. I think my whole cabbage related crop was over heated it will probably all bolt. These plants all need shade when we start have 40° weather. This sucks it will be very hard to keep direct sun off of these plants this time of the year we are in tornado alley anything I use to shade plants will blow away. It was 76° & sunny today.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I don't understand the problem with these plants? We have had 20" of rain in 3 days why are leaves not full of water and soft to eat. Plants have doubled in size but leaves are tough like eating a sheet of paper and leaves don't taste much different than paper. Garden mud is like quicksand.
Attachments
100_9583.JPG

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I have given up growing broccoli and many other cool weather crops, due to heat induced bolting in the spring. We have already had an 80° day, and it would have triggered them. Win-win boc choy is a heat resistant variety, and the komatsuna and senposai are two resistant greens that last into the summer.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I planted 288 yellow onion seeds, only 17 have germinated. Seeds were started March 1st inside the house, after we started having 76 degree weather I moved the 4 plant trays outside. 7 seeds germinated in the house & 10 germinated in the yard. This looks like a waste of time only 17 plants. I was hoping to grow 150 plants and maybe get 75 big onions. I was also hoping to have lots of green onions to eat early. I had forgotten some seeds will not germinate when weather is too warm maybe colder weather will make seeds germinate.
Attachments
100_9587.JPG
100_9589.JPG
Last edited by Gary350 on Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Planting last years saved potatoes in pots appears to have been a good idea. Saved potatoes were small 1/2" to 1" diameter. 52 of the 64 potatoes have grown plants in pots. Now that I have learned which potatoes grew this prevents the garden from having blank places where potato cuttings would have not grown. When soil gets dryer I will transplant potato plants in rows in the garden. This year I am using a common sense idea to get large potatoes in rows, when rain stops an we have almost no rain June to Sept in 98° hot weather. I am going to dig potato rows 6" deep then plant cutting in the bottom of the rows 8" apart. Cover cuttings with only 1" of soil. As plants grow taller I fill in the 6" deep rows so roots are down deep where soil moisture is. Fertilize with phosphorus & potassium only, 1/2 lb per 30 foot row every week. I am planting 1 eye cuttings for BIG new potatoes. In the past I have gotten 1 lb of new potatoes from each plant. A 2 eye cutting counts as 1 plant. A 3 eye cutting counts as 1 plant. 1 eye will grow a 1 lb potato. 2 eyes will grow 2 potatoes each 1/2 lb each. 3 eyes will grow 3 potatoes each 1/3 lb each. I hope this holds true again this year 50 plants should produce about 50 lbs of new potatoes. Potatoes appear to be sensitive to crowding I'm planting 8" apart this year instead of 6" apart.

TN potato growing is not as easy as growing potatoes in IL where it seldom got hotter than 90° an there was a 10 minutes rain every evening.
Attachments
100_9591.JPG
100_9592.JPG
100_9593.JPG

imafan26
Mod

I know that certain things can only be grown at certain times of the year. Hawaii actually does have seasons but it is subtle.

Broccoli can be started at the end of summer, but I have not been successful in getting it to germinate in July. It will germinate in September. My days are short so the broccoli will not even think about heading up till November, but I will get side shoots from De Cicco and Italian Sprouting varieties sometimes up until May.

I only grow the Micihili type of Napa cabbage it is taller than the other type, but is more heat resistant and will head up better for me. Like the other cool weather crops. It needs to be timed so heading occurs when temperatures are around 68-75 in the daytime.

When I have had poor growth from plants, they usually got stunted at some point and while they did not die, they never reach their full potential. Sometimes boron deficiency can cause leaves to be tough. It is easy to see boron deficiency if you plant beets. The beets will have a characteristic black color in the root.

Normally soil tests don't test for micro nutrient deficiencies, but I try to use a complete fertilizer with micros in all my potted plants.

https://ag.umass.edu/vegetable/fact-she ... deficiency

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Last year we had a yellow grocery store onion go bad in the pantry, it grew a green top so I planted it in the garden then harvested the seeds several months later. I planted the seeds about 2 weeks ago it looks like most of the seeds germinated.

Online says, yellow onions are long day onions. They will never get larger than a golf balls in TN. Yellow onions have a longer shelf life than other onions. I can grow 400 small onions in a bed to save space this will be just as good as 75 big slicer onions.
Attachments
100_9596.JPG
100_9598.JPG
100_9601.JPG

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Growing onion from seed is something I've never accomplished. I need to try it someday. This year my wild onion and bunching onions are blooming, so perhaps I will have the opportunity this year. By experience I've learned I can never grow a big fat bulb, and I grow onions just for the greens. They go great in salads and even sandwhiches.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

TomatoNut95 wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:53 am
Growing onion from seed is something I've never accomplished. I need to try it someday. I've learned I can never grow a big fat bulb, and I grow onions just for the greens. They go great in salads and even sandwhiches.
Onion SETs will never grow a BIG slicing onion, sets are already 1 year old onions. Onion plants also called Starts are only 2 to 3 months old they will grow BIG slicing onions. TX is short day onion country buy, Candy Onions, Wall Wall onions, Sweet & Super Sweet onion plants. Grow sets for seeds, you can harvest seeds in about 5 months to plant next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHMqt9TmK3M
Last edited by Gary350 on Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

There is a new garden store in town they have onion plants. I bought a bundle of plants took them home and counted 112 plants. This should make about 100 big slicers if I do things the correct way. I bought both fertilizers, 46-0-0 and 0-20-20. Yellow onions are long day onions so they need 14 hoursof sunlight to bulb, I need to add 90 minutes of LED lights every morning 4 am until sun comes up at 5:30 am to get 14 hrs of light to make plants grow bulbs. I can not give plants extra light until after plants have grown 13 or more leaves. A 21,750. Lumin LED light uses about 5 cents worth of electricity every morning. 100 onions in a 4 foot square onion bed should work good. I planted the onion plants in a large pot of soil so they can grow larger while I wait for garden mud dry up.

I also bought 2 lbs of yellow onion sets after counting them there are 223 sets. Great for green onions.

https://greenlightdepot.com/products/le ... 7937984555
Attachments
100_9604.JPG
100_9605.JPG
Last edited by Gary350 on Wed Mar 31, 2021 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Last week I cleaned old garlic out of the pantry. I decided to plant old dried up garlic in a pot to see what happens. After a week of rain garlic is growing. Soon as garden mud dries up I will plant these hard neck garlic. Its not the correct time to plant garlic but so what I want to see what happens.
Attachments
100_9599.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I picked more broccoli we steamed it for dinner.

I picked a lot of swiss chard leaves then fried them in a skillet, then stir in 1 tablespoon of bread & butter pickle juice. It was very good.

I found another grocery store yellow onion in the pantry that is going bad so I planted it in a pot too. I should be able to harvest about 150 seeds from each onion about Sept. Then I will grow winter onions about Oct 1st maybe sooner.

I bought a 1 lb bag of Candy onion sets. I read online, candy & walla walla are both same as Vidalia onions. This will be the year of several onion experiments. We may have more onions to eat than we want.

Potatoes plants in pots are getting tall. Last frost is 3 weeks from now. If frost kills plant tops they will grow back. I hope I can plant these in garden rows next week.
Attachments
100_9642.JPG
100_9643.JPG
100_9646.JPG
100_9651.JPG
100_9653.JPG
100_9655.JPG

applestar
Mod

...a bit confusing — Vidalia onions are a Yellow Granex and hybrid varieties grown in Vidalia area of Georgia. Yellow Granex is a short day variety. WallaWalla is another sweet onion variety and is a long day variety, and Candy is a sweet variety that is intermediate day/day neutral variety. Maybe you mean they are all sweet onions? According to what I’ve been referencing, Candy is likely to be most suited to your geographical location.....

It’ll be interesting to see which of these fdoes best for you. :-()

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:39 pm
...a bit confusing — Vidalia onions are a Yellow Granex and hybrid varieties grown in Vidalia area of Georgia. Yellow Granex is a short day variety. WallaWalla is another sweet onion variety and is a long day variety, and Candy is a sweet variety that is intermediate day/day neutral variety. Maybe you mean they are all sweet onions? According to what I’ve been referencing, Candy is likely to be most suited to your geographical location.....

It’ll be interesting to see which of these foes best for you. :-()
It is good I have intermediate onions I checked my day length I am 90 minutes short for long day onions and my day length is too long for short day for short day onions. Its good I accidently bought Candy onions everyone is sold out of the other onions & I got the last 1 lb bag of candy onions. I also did not know Candy is a yellow onion. Information online claim yellow is, 4,5,6,7 month shelf lift. TV cooking show says Candy is 1 month shelf life. I will grow them and find out.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I guess it's too late this year, but next year I believe I'll try growing some Candy onion from seed next year and see if my onion gardening improves for a change.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

TomatoNut95 wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:51 am
I guess it's too late this year, but next year I believe I'll try growing some Candy onion from seed next year and see if my onion gardening improves for a change.
It is too early for seeds now, plant seeds in fall let them grow over winter. I planted seeds a few weeks ago then I learn that was a mistake. I will plant more seeds about Sept 15. Not too late to buy candy onion sets or plants.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I have no more room for anymore onion plants or sets. But I'll see if I can find some Candy onion seed, for this fall, if not, I might ask you to save some for me.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

This morning I planted onions. Last week I made 5" spacing templates this is the handiest thing I ever made it took about 40 minutes to plant 481 onions with almost perfect 5" spacing. North to south in, 1,2,3,4, order, 90 candy onions sets, 112 yellow onion plants, 224 yellow onion sets, 55 candy onion sets. Thanks to applestar I learned candy onions are intermediate day onions. I did a lot of online searching for intermediate day onions but found no specific onion names so gave up and bought what is available at the local stores. We will have a lot of onions this year but maybe only 145 candy onions will be the big slicer onions. My experience with onions is there will be a lot of size variety and maybe only 1/3 to 1/2 might be golf ball size onions. Most of these onions are long day onions they will not get big.
We love to eat green onions too.

This is a FLAT bed not a raised bed. Boards are only to hold in water like a dam. I hate to water the garden but everything I read online says, onions need lots of water to grow big and green tops need to be cut short about 10" tall to promote large bulb growth.

ALL garden rows are spaced 32" apart. Onion bed is 32" x 34 ft long.
Attachments
100_9689.JPG
100_9681.JPG
100_9686.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

The dog ran through the onions several times last night barking and who know what. Sometimes its, skunks, rabbits, possums, stray cats, deer or neighbors. After fixing the onions I put a temporary fence around them.

Row #12. I removed 1 month old potato plants from their pots several plants have tiny pea size new potatoes. Pots are all a massive amount of solid roots. I planted 49 potato plants in row #12 with plants spaced 8" apart. Plants are planted deep where the soil moisture is. Harvest should be in about 3 months

Row #11 is 50 potato cuttings with 1 eye per cutting. Cuttings are planted 6" deep where there is good moisture and covered with 1" of soil. When plants grow several inches tall in the 6" deep ditch I will mulch them with, straw, pine needles, grass clippings, anything I can get. Harvest about 4 month.

Row #10. Tomorrow I will plant the last 33 Kennebec potato cuttings. Row 1 to 14 are all 34 ft long.

Row #9. I have another 5 lbs of Kennebec seed potatoes that are not growing eyes yet. Maybe in a few more weeks I can make 1 eye cuttings then plant row 9 and finish row 10.

This will give us 3 different potato harvests about 1 month apart. If we get 1 lbs of potatoes per plant like we have in the past each will should produce about 50 lbs of new potatoes.

After making cutting we had 5 lbs of left over potatoes wife fried them it will take a several days to eat them all.

Next year I will use plastic throw away drink cups for potato pots, 1 cutting with 1 eye per pot.
Attachments
100_9707.JPG
100_9697.JPG
100_9694.JPG
100_9655.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

After breakfast on patio I planted the last 33 potato cuttings in row 10. Wheel barrel self destructed the rotten wood handles broke. I made new handles but metal pan is trash too, metal is broken and spit. I have been wanting a wagon with 4 wheels they do not turn over and dump your load on the ground like a wheel barrel. Prices are crazy expensive even a used kids red wagon is $100. Harbor Freight wagons are $200. I went to the scrap metal yard and found a kids pedal car with seat missing it cost me $4. Big spender. LOL. I removed everything on the pedal car that I did not need, the metal frame & 4 wheels is all I need. These 2" wide wheels are perfect they will never go flat they don't need air and wide tires don't sink in the soil or get stuck. About 2 hours work later I have a nice garden wagon 20" wide 36" long. I bet it will haul 100 ears of corn or 50 lbs of potatoes. I can haul, plants, tools, fertilizer, string, everything I need to plant, tomatoes, peppers, and other things. My 8" spacing template worked perfect for planting potato cuttings 8" apart.
Attachments
100_9709.JPG
100_9712.JPG
100_9713.JPG
100_9714.JPG
Last edited by Gary350 on Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

imafan26
Mod

You are so handy. I bought a wagon, but I haven't put it together yet. I also have to figure out where to park it once it is put together.

I have grown onions before Texas granax or Texas grano (Spanish onion) are really cousins of vidalia and Maui onions. They are pretty much variations of the same variety. They are a great onion to grow in southern climates, but they don't keep well. They are sweet for a couple of weeks but can get hot after that especially when like me there really isn't a cool dry place to store them in the middle of summer. These short day onions are only practical for me to plant in October and since no one will send sets, it is always grown from seed. However considering what onions cost and the amount I can use before it rots, it does not make much sense to grow onions that will occupy so much space in my garden for 5 months.

Gary, I envy the size of your garden space, but I have to admit although I would like a garden that size, it would be hard for me to take care of it and I would not be able to make use of everything I could grow. As it is, it is still feast or famine. I am buying tomatoes and cucumber now, but when my plants come in, I will get tired of eating them.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I have two wagons, one is small, made out of PVC board, and the sides are too short but is fine for hauling bags of dirt. Other is bigger and much taller sides, except the lock on the sides makes me mad sometimes.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

After planting 133 potato cuttings on my hands & knees I have been so sore I can barely move. My back has hurt all week & keeps me awake when I try to sleep. I did Google search for, antique hand operated potato planters and was surprised to find a whole page of different pictures. After looking at all the photos I recognized a potato planter my grandfather had in his barn but never used. Maybe hand planted don't work? After looking at all the pictures I decided which one looks like it will work and I don't need to bend over to drop in the potato cuttings. It has rained all week and more rain in the forecast for 5 days so I can't test potato planter in the garden yet. This hand planter will plant cuttings 6" deep.

This is how the planter works, Pull left handle to the left this makes a sharp pointed tip that will be easy to push into the soil. Use right foot to push planter into soil with the root pedal. Push left handle to the right this opens the pointed end of the planter spreading soil apart 2" to make room to drop in a potato cutting down the 2" square hole. Length of foot pedal is the parker for 8" plant spacing. After dropping in a potato cutting pull up the planter move it to the right where the foot pedal mark is. Push planter into soil again. It looks to me like very dry soil will fill in the hole before potato cutting falls in. Soil with correct moisture might work better. Another problem I see, cuttings will land in all directions eyes could be on the bottoms instead of on top. Next week maybe I can test potato planter I hope to have 26 more cuttings if eyes on seed potatoes ever decide to grow.

Last picture is one I found online, it doesn't get any simpler to build than this but I have to bend over to drop in a potato cutting and it still might land upside down.
Attachments
100_9723.JPG
100_9722.JPG
100_9726.JPG
100_9724.JPG
100_9725.JPG
359d7cee70e260467404d220203b2cc5.jpg
359d7cee70e260467404d220203b2cc5.jpg (5.01 KiB) Viewed 1914 times

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

March we had 87° weather. April was winter again 3½ weeks of, rain, cold weather, mud, ice, snow, frost. Both Blue Birds died, 1 was dead inside the bird house, 1 bird was dead on the ground, maybe they froze to death.

Potatoes that I grew in pots then transplanted survived the flood & cold mud, potato cuttings planted in rows rotted in cold wet mud. I don't think I will replace the rotten potato cuttings, I just leave 2 empty rows in the garden. I had 83 Russet potato plants growing in pots that I did not want to plant with Kennebec but there is lots of available so I planted them. I hope Russets do not cross pollinate with Kennebec?

Onions are doing good some have 7 leaves. About 50% of the onion plants that I bought died. Onion seeds are not doing well they should be planted in winter. Bulbs are growing good. We will have too many onions, we pull them early and eat green onions all summer.

Garlic is looking good, there are 87 good size plants & about 20 smaller plants.

Cilantro started to bolt in 87° March weather but April cold freezing temperatures made it grow again plants are 3 ft tall.

I had 41 Red Pontiac seed potatoes I gave away on Market place.

Fruit trees are doing good, 1 apple tree has 2 small apples. We are not pulling them off like instructions say. These trees will be hard to keep alive when we have 4 months of no rain & it is 100° every day. Crazy weather 26 days of rain every month all winter but only 1 or 2 days of rain per month all summer.

I planted 12 tomato plants & 4 sweet green bell peppers yesterday. There will be a lot of empty space with nothing growing in the garden this year unless my son comes and plants something.

Corn will get planted soon I just have to wait for warmer more predictable weather. More rain in the forecast 2 days from now. 9 rows will be a lot if 1/2 does not grow as it typically does it is no problem. We are trying a different bicolor sweet corn with 10 day longer growing season it should be larger corn.

We reorganized the patio now we can see the bird bath. We have been enjoying watching birds splash in the water. We have good view of the bird feeder too. I built 6 larger bird houses for larger birds. Wrens don't usually arrive until about May 15 or 20 when it is much warmer they like the small houses.

I built a 6 foot tall garden hose holder, now 125 ft of hose does not lay in a pile in the yard or patio that is always in the way. I was going to build irrigation but then changed my mind water makes grass & weeds too.

Garden has many 1000s of worms down deep where soil is very cool. I still have no clue how to place in line at the bottom of the list of 12 pictures.
Attachments
100_9992.JPG
100_9974.JPG
100_9975.JPG
100_9976.JPG
100_9977.JPG
100_9979.JPG
100_9983.JPG
100_9985.JPG
100_9986.JPG
100_9987.JPG
100_9988.JPG
100_9989.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

3 weeks of continuous rain appears to be good for onions & garlic. Another week of rain in the forecast. Garden was underwater yesterday, potatoes don't like all this water.
Attachments
101_0003.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Wife ordered these 6 spinning wind mill flowers $15 free shipping from Walmart online a month ago. Wife said, those are so cute I want some for the front of the house, side of house, patio, and driveway. She ordered 12 more.

I have 237 scarlet runner beans I need to plant along the back fence it will look nice covered with orange flowers.
Attachments
100_0009.JPG

applestar
Mod

You are having WAY too much fun in your garden. :D

...I need to catch up. :>

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 6:50 am
You are having WAY too much fun in your garden. :D

...I need to catch up. :>
Dollar Tree has $1 wind mill flower spinners, last year we bought 10 of them. They self destruct fairly quick in our 30 mph gusty wind so I leaned to buy a $1 pack of super glue when I buy spinners. Yesterday we had gusty wind spinners were spinning so fast they were just a blur then 1 red peddle flew off and went flying away like a Frisbee. I super glued all the spinners, let them dry 2 hours, now they are doing good.

Wife ordered some metal spinners a month ago that still have not arrived, tracking shows they are coming from Italy and are finally in the USA being held up in customs. Postage is crazy, if we mail something to Italy it cost $25 but if they mail something to us it only cost $1.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We tried to make Mayan style Tamales with whole kernel garden corn as they do, no leaves to wrap tamales in so we got cooked corn & chicken in aluminum foil. After watching many videos it appears leaves allow corn dehydration this causes corn to stick together like a Tamale shape. Wife said, tomorrow we add cheese & a few things then we have, chicken & corn burritos. :()

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TFlxXSM_ks

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”