BarryB
Newly Registered

Green Pepper variants

I bought a few green pepper plants this spring. I thought I was getting conventional green bell peppers.

However, they are growing rather oddly shaped. They are sharing large-pot space with cucumber vines and as a result maybe are not getting as much light as they'd like.

Can anyone ID what variety of pepper these may be?
Attachments
rs-20200824_151911.jpg

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum!

Did they say that they were bell peppers, or sweet peppers, or something like that? There are many varieties of peppers that have a shape like that, sweet and hot. I have one this year that is fairly common - Peppadew. That's a trademarked name, but there are similar peppers out there.

BarryB
Newly Registered

I've taken a couple of better photos with my camera (my phone camera can't do good close-ups).
peppers.jpg
I've been "Googling" around and am thinking they could be "Scotch Bonnet" peppers ...

applestar
Mod

I’m thinking the shape looks more like one of the South American species. (came back to add — yeah that sounds like an oxymoron ... meant somewhat like Brazillian Starfish or maybe Mushroom Chile — that one is Jamaican I guess)

You could give one a taste to see if it is indeed a hot pepper or mild. (They can be aggressive even when green — be careful if you are not used to super hot pppers — tiny bit and have milk or ice cream on stand by)

Here is one of my favorite on-line catalogs for peppers to use as ID reference — you might want to take a look.
https://www.chileplants.com/

— let us know if you find out. :wink:

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Scotch Bonnet.... isn't that a hot pepper?

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”