Blue lake bush beans
Peppers: Jalapano, Cayanne , Bell.
Potatoes
Tomatoes: Big boy, Brandywine's for mom
Sweet Corn
Crimshaw and watermelons.

There is a smaller area close to the house where I have,
Green romaine lettuce, ice berg lettuce
Lisbon bunching onions and just a few carrots.
Attachments
003.jpg
003.jpg (55.67 KiB) Viewed 11899 times

applestar
Mod

Looking good. Do you not have fence around the garden area? You don’t have wildlife raiding the garden?

Nobody

Moved the garden up on the hill this year. We had so much rain last year and this year had to move it. Didn't have any problem with wildlife where it was before. I'm hoping we won't where it's at now. If there is a problem I'll move cruncher up there for a few nights. :)
Attachments
Cruncher.jpg
Cruncher.jpg (92.03 KiB) Viewed 11881 times

imafan26
Mod

Looks great, so does Cruncher.

Nobody

Everything is coming along good. Seems to like all the rain we've had. No problems with the wildlife yet. We've got a sunny day today so I'll be working on weeding.
Attachments
garden jun 23.jpg

Nobody

Doing good. Everything growing or getting ripe.
Attachments
garden.jpg
garden.jpg (95.5 KiB) Viewed 11810 times

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Wow! Nice garden, and nice, pretty doggy! What breed?

My garden is fenced in, so no garden pests besides worms. Outside the fence though, roams everything from A-Z. Well....maybe just A-S. Armadillos, coyotes, deer, hogs, rabbits, racoons, possums, skunks, and squirrels.

Nobody

If your referring to the first pic of a dog that's Cruncher he's an Acula Leopard. the one up by the garden is a stuffed dog. It was my husbands idea of a joke. He found it along the road on one of his walks. He put it in the tack room first, bout scared me to death the first time I saw it. It was almost dark.
I already had the dog house up by the garden so he decided to move it up there. I decided to leave it there and see if it would help deter any wildlife. Haven't had any problems with the wild life so maybe it's working. :)

applestar
Mod

...I wonder if we have a big stuffed dog? ...well there’s “Woofa” the wolf, but I know my (no longer teen) DD still wouldn’t relinquish her favorite... hmmm we do have a stuffed pony that’s even bigger than Woofa....

I suppose yours carry conviction because sometimes it IS Cruncher the real dog effectively guarding the area. :lol: (And I had never heard of the breed — now I’ll have to go look that up :wink: )

...we might have one of those motion-activated mechanical yippy yappee dogs... I know we have a penguin and a :P Carebear..... :>

Nobody

If you have a friend or neighbor that has a dog let them take it for a walk around the garden makes it even more convincing since the dog will mark the territory. :D
Acula Leopards are sheep dogs. :)

Nobody

Now for some pics.
Attachments
watermelon3.jpg
brandywine.jpg
blue lake bush beans.jpg
blue lake bush beans.jpg (81.11 KiB) Viewed 11783 times
summer squash.jpg
sumter cucumbers.jpg

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Sounds like a kid threw that toy out the window of the car if your husband found it along the road. That's interesting if it works, but I would think wildlife would realize it's not a real dog. I have a couple of stuffed dogs from when I was little, I wonder if I stuck them in the front yard, it would run off that armadillo? :lol:

Nobody

TomatoNut95 wrote:Sounds like a kid threw that toy out the window of the car if your husband found it along the road. That's interesting if it works, but I would think wildlife would realize it's not a real dog. I have a couple of stuffed dogs from when I was little, I wonder if I stuck them in the front yard, it would run off that armadillo? :lol:
Unfortunately armadillos don't see very well so it probable wouldn't work for you. If you could find one of those motion sensor yippy yappy dogs like applestar was talking about and get someone to take their dog for a walk around your garden it might work since they go more by smell and sound than sight. :)

I've got the real thing less than 70 feet from my garden so that may make a difference. All the sounds and smells of a real dog close by. :)

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I'd rather not have dog mess in my yard. I like the motion activated dog though! Never heard of that! I do know a dog grooming place, I wonder if they let me sweep up some hair and I sprinkle it around it around, it would be effective.

Nobody

Here's another option if that doesn't work. I forgot that you can actually buy predator urine until this morning.

https://www.predatorpeestore.com/?gclid ... n8QAvD_BwE

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Actually, I have seen that somewhere. May have been coyote urine based. But wouldn't that draw those in the yard? I have a million mangy coyotes in this area.

Nobody

Yeah that might be a problem. So I can give you one more option, you might think it's a bit on the yukkie side though. Whether it'll work or not I don't know since I've never tried it but have read about other people doing it to keep deer away..

You could save your own urine and spread it around.
I'm all out of ideas now. :)

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Eww. Thanks, but not gonna happen. I have read soap, and ammonia being critter chasers. What if I were to get a haircut and sprinkled my own hair around? My garden/backyard is fenced in, no problem with anything other than armadillos digging under and tearing up the yard. Front yard is wide open, pest traffic goes through there.

Ha-ha, I remember years ago we had some spray that was supposed to not be likeable to dogs. My mother squirted a little near my grandmother's Lab to see his reaction, and he sniffed it and peed on it. That was pretty funny! (don't ask me what spray it was, that was years ago)

Nobody

You could find a barber/beauty shop and see if they would let you get some hair just like you were thinking about doing with the dog grooming place. The more diverse smells you have the better.

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”