Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Taiji 2019

My first plantings for the year. Ailsa Craig onions and Candy onions. Planted a few weeks ago. If I were growing them here in AZ I would have set them out. But, I'll be traveling to the U.P. of MI again this year so will take all my seedlings for a ride and see what happens!

I have pruned these back 2 times so far, don't know if I should do again or not.
onions 2019.jpg

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It was snowing in UP this morning relatives sent a video. Last frost is about June 6th. Good you have plants already started and ready to plant when you get there. We will be camping in UP about June 10 for 2 weeks. I wish I still had my house in AZ we would love to spend the winter there. I had a very good garden in AZ Phoenix area Nov1 to Feb 15 I was able to grow a lot of things I can't grow in TN. .Garlic, onions, spinach, chard, broccoli, Napa, boc choy, carrots, beets, potatoes, melons, tomatoes, squash, beans, were easy to grow in AZ.

https://www.facebook.com/uppermichigans ... 344880850/

applestar
Mod

You really got the onions growing — are those kitchen .. dish .. wash .. tubs ... ummm what are they called?

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Those are just those el cheapo dishpans from Walmart. I think about 98 cents. Holes drilled in the bottom of course for drainage. These are the smaller ones they sell.

Taiji
Greener Thumb

Getting some nice rhubarb here in the U.P. this year; better than last. Just a small sample from plants we inherited with this house.

Have been making a rhubarb "jam" of sorts this year. In a large saucepan filled with rhubarb chunks that have cooked down add 4 tbsps. of agave nectar and a sprinkling of stevia. Makes a delicious spread for toast and put in hot cereal. Have made lots of this and have frozen it in containers. Last batch I mixed in some strawberries!
2019 stalks.JPG

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Did you have rhubarb in Arizona, Taiji?

It probably doesn't grow in the lower elevations of AZ, I'm guessing. For some of us envious of the long seasons and broad fruit and veggie choices of the southern gardeners, it might seem strange that rhubarb is difficult to grow south of a certain latitude. Good Heavens, my rhubarb is huge and has a long season with very little attention, in its afternoon sun protected location :) !

Here's a use for rhubarb that is a good choice: bbq sauce (LINK)

Here's one that I liked real well. Smoked paprika instead of liquid smoke and dried chipotle pepper seemed a reasonable substitute (LINK).

Steve

Taiji
Greener Thumb

Hi Steve, thanks for the ideas. I had some rhubarb in AZ for about 3 yrs. I did get some but it's a bit too warm for it to flourish. I was leaving it uncovered in the winter instead of mulching it hoping it would get colder and maybe survive.

Yes my rhubarb here in the U.P. of MI is amazing. Keeps coming and as you say, very little attention needed!

Taiji
Greener Thumb

Here's a good use for spent rhubarb leaves...hee hee, covering for some potatoes a few weeks ago when a frost was expected. Seems like every place I live it's always colder overnight than the predicted low. Predicted low this night was around 38, dropped to 30.
2019.JPG
Main garden a few days ago. So far behind the southern gardens! Like to use old branches for tomato stakes.
2019 2.JPG
My "over the hill" garden. Can't see it at all from the house which isn't much fun. At this time it's completely unprotected. I just didn't want to spend the money. I've been lucky so far; sometimes I can see where the deer "clomped" through but they don't seem interested in eating anything that's there. I'm sure one night a bear tore up one of the beds. There were big paw marks but still no plant damage. Surely this can't last! The local mother bear here had 4 cubs this year! What a lot of work.

I think I mixed up some of my Red Norland/ Red Pontiacs. I don't usually get a bloom on Norlands, so I think this is a Red Pontiac.
2019 4.JPG
Attachments
2019 3.JPG

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Nice garden, @Taiji! Beautiful!

Taiji
Greener Thumb

Thanks!

Pic on left shows typical damage from what I think are onion flies/maggots. Pic on right shows 2 of the flies that I find on the onion leaves. Most of the flies I see like this are already dead, though when I walk through and examine newer plants I am seeing a few new live flies. I was assuming that they hatch out someplace, come and pierce the leaves, deposit eggs, then die? That's why I was hoping floating row cover might help. I wonder if it's possible that the bulbs I bought from the farm store could have the little eggs or worms already inside, then they hatch out?
2019 collage.jpg

Onion bulb on a badly damaged plant. Doesn't seem to be damaged underground. I got a dirty thumb on the one half, it isn't rotten!
2019 split.JPG
This candy onion is one of some that are not too badly damaged; it is starting to bulb up. I'm happy about this in a way, but wish it had grown a few more leaves first. My Candys in AZ grew 13 or 14 leaves in some cases. But, then Candy onions are an intermediate day length onion so I shouldn't be surprised that they are doing this.
2019 7.JPG

Taiji
Greener Thumb

Here are a couple of beds planted with clover and black eyed peas as cover crops. Clover is so fast to sprout (1 to 2 days) but slow to grow. Black Eyed Peas just came from the grocery store, about 99 cents for a 1 pound bag. Still not sure if black eyed peas and cowpeas are the same thing.
2019 cov.jpg
Here's a funny phenomenon; a sapling I cut from a deep thicket to use as a tomato stake. After driving it into the ground, it began to sprout leaves! I wonder if it has roots to match underground?
2019 choke.JPG
This bug is on my tomato leaves. I wonder if it is a good bug or a bad bug?
2019 good bug.JPG

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I'm not too sure, but that bug looks like a wood borer. But I could be wrong. I love your onions! Wish I could do them. My onions don't like me. :(

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Longhorn Beetle

LINK

?

Taiji
Greener Thumb

Thanks Steve.

The perennial plants on the left provided some lightweight bamboo style shoots at the end of last season which had some good uses. I made a tee pee style trellis out of the dried shoots for my Kentucky Wonders to climb on. Now, if the beans will just grow well enough to make use of the trellis!

Also, used some of the shorter shoots to stake pepper plants if needed. Shoots aren't strong enough to stake tomatoes though.

I'm not sure what this perennial is. When it blooms this year will take close ups of blossoms and leaves. Last year thought it was a bunch of sunflowers, but don't think so now.
2019 trellis collage.jpg

applestar
Mod

They look very tall — maybe they are Jerusalem artichokes/sunchokes? Are they spreading outward by underground runners?

Taiji
Greener Thumb

They are very tall, stood by them yesterday just to see, at least 7 feet tall. I thought of Jerusalem artichokes too, having coincidentally read about them 2 or 3 weeks ago. I'm not familiar with them at all til I read about them, but noticed that they can be a potato substitute if one is trying to avoid too many carbohydrates. Did I read it on this forum(?), can't remember.

I can't see that they are spreading outward, but then I mow often right up to the existing bed so maybe they would if they could! Can't wait til they bloom to show photos, no sign of blooms yet.

Taiji
Greener Thumb

Garden as of July 29th. Overgrown as usual!

Have been getting lots of lettuces, kale, dill, green onions, arugula, radishes, chard, beet and turnip greens for huge salads every night for quite a few weeks now, but right photo shows I'm finally getting some things to sink my teeth into here UPnorth! I always long for that first tender juicy cuke. Still waiting on tomatoes though, sigh.
2019 petc and teeth.jpg
Almost feel kind of silly posting these photos after seeing what you southern gardeners are getting!

applestar
Mod

No way!
— Love seeing how your garden is doing, especially considering you just moved up north...
— The differences in what is growing and what grows well there, and what you miss from your previous gardens...
— What you will need to do to overcome and change techniques from what you know...
— How you will plan for next year...

ALL ll are points of great interest! :-()

Taiji
Greener Thumb

Thanks so much Applestar! Next year I definitely need to consider some earlier maturing varieties of everything except the cool weather crops.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

That's absolutely right, AppleStar.

While both southern and northern gardens lag in the spring, southern gardens lag in mid-summer. Northern gardens are just taking off. The freshness!

It's impressive that gardeners can maintain year-around enthusiasm, shows maturity :wink: . Something that I notice about myself: I like to know what is going on around me. Most of the garden is intentional. Weeds aren't!

Still, I want to know what they are. Weeds. But, what kind of weeds? Do I obsess about them through our long winters? Absolutely Not! Each growing season and as they appear, I have to review in my mind what they are. I go through what I know about them and can expect. At first sight, I'm lucky to be able to remember their names! Okay, patience Steve. You know - oh yeah! Sorting things out as, once again, the landscape becomes familiar. Taking on the tasks, enjoying the rewards :D .

Yes, a move from northern to southern hemisphere would be fun for me. Somewhere in New Zealand or Argentina, in October. Then, I might just make that move to a British Columbia home and garden in April ... that way, I'd gain a week or so "travel time," from one very distant location to another. Transporting plant starts from one hemisphere to another is the only kink in my plan :wink: .

Growing Steve

Taiji
Greener Thumb

These guys come pretty often. We love them! We call them the 5 bachelors. They never seem to be interested in the gardens. The only time was last year right after I planted some winter rye as a cover crop. They discovered the big rye berries and made short work of them in my over the hill unprotected garden.
2019 turk.JPG

"Over the hill garden. These red norlands are ready to dig. The first year I planted them they died off like this and I thought they had a disease. Was surprised to dig down and find nice potatoes. Only about 65 days.
Planted a Howden pumpkin late just to see how it might grow in a more sunny warmer area. It is doing well, but am not really expecting it to make it before frost. But who knows?
2019 over the hill.jpg
Corn doing much better than last year. Almost as good as it did for me in AZ. This is Ambrosia from seed that is 5 or 6 yrs. old. Am hoping for some nice ears. Surprisingly, the better plants are the ones I started in my little colony of grow cells on a heat mat. The ones I planted in the ground came up in very sparse fashion and were left behind by my transplants. Think I will do this method every year.
2019 corn coll.jpg
Some nice giant dill from seeds saved from last year's crop. I love it when you can do that! The dill seed I planted last year in turn was maybe 20 yrs. old from a package I found in my seed box but it sprouted beautifully.
And first beans and red norlands.
And my first Big Bertha ever. Very nice but my BB plants seem to only have one pepper per plant. Was a little thin walled, but maybe I took it too soon.
2019 bb and dill.jpg

Taiji
Greener Thumb

Cabbage and stringless green pod beans. I think the cabbage is Early Copenhagen but it could be Golden Acre.
2019 cab and bean.jpg
My homemade bean trellis is working well. The Kentucky Wonders don't even need encouragement; they just find it and climb. The whole main garden as of Aug. 21.
2019 tower and gar.jpg

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Awesome, @Taiji! Beautiful garden and produce!

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Nice

Pictures,

Too.

____Steve

applestar
Mod

I’m in awe of the cabbage. :D

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Yep, beautiful cabbage! Cabbage is another of my, 'tried-and-didn't-do-good' things.

Taiji
Greener Thumb

This is the sad story of the tomatoes this year. Only just now getting these few and tomorrow is September. Tomatoes are big, green and beautiful on the plants, and plants are loaded, but because of such oddball weather this summer (unseasonably cool) they just aren't ripening. I've taken to removing any tomato that is showing any signs of turning yellow or orange to the house. The ones I'm taking inside are ripening really well.

Everyone up here in this crazy climate is experiencing the same thing this year! Already had a 35 degree night a couple of weeks ago, but no frost yet. Last night 37.
2019 tomato collage.jpg

Taiji
Greener Thumb

Black eyed pea cover crop is doing great. Over a foot tall but no sign of blooms yet. Am keeping a close watch; I want to cut them off at ground level, leaves roots in ground and probably let lay til next spring just before they bloom heavily. Hope to use these black eyed pea beds and clover beds for next year's nitrogen demanding corn crop.
2019 black eed.JPG

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Tomatoes not wanting to ripen....story of my life.
Nice peas!

Taiji
Greener Thumb

I prepared a 2 by 2 foot area in the yard and planted 2 Buttercup and 1 Butternut squash in this more sunny area just to see how they would do if I let the vines trail out wherever they wanted. Doing pretty well.

Was thinking if a person had some limited space and didn't want to dig up the whole yard this method might eliminate some of the negative aspects of growing in a container. Less watering, more space for the roots to expand etc.
2019 but collage.jpg

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Taiji, on "Garden wishlists and ideas for next growing season," you listed a wish for an early maturing winter squash. I thought to share some of my experiences and wishes here. First, I hope that the Buttercup does well for you. I like all C. maxima squash but the climate limits many veggie varieties. Buttercup has been in my garden for years and years.

The squash don't all reach full maturity but that mostly limits winter storage. They are still tasty. On the advice of a Colorado gardener, I have been growing a Kabocha, Cha Cha, for several years. Like them Both :) . However, growth and production for both are way off in 2019. The early yo-yo temperatures this season changed their usual successful pattern.

If you check the days-to-maturity charts, you will find a lot of acorn squash (C. pepo) on the early end. Years ago, I grew quite a few. Then, DW and others complained about their taste. Well, I have admitted to a preference for other types, myself. I once grew a very tasty C. pepo - Delicata. That season was so inspiring, I tried several more to grow Delicata with very poor success.

The start of this season was a difficult one for a number of garden plants. I don't think my peppers have ever had such a bad year! However, my half-hearted growing of a Halloween pumpkin (C. pepo) has ALWAYS been successful, once I realized the need for an early-maturing variety. In fact, my pumpkins are having a stellar year! How they got through the early weeks so well, I have no idea :? .

I wish pumpkins had more uses. I know, pie. But, if you research what the commercial outfits put in a can of "pumpkin puree," it isn't a C. pepo pumpkin! People say, "Long Island Cheese pumpkins." But, it isn't very early and besides, it isn't a C. pepo, either! Lots of different squash have a pumpkin shape but aren't C. pepo.

Trying to come up with an early C. pepo winter squash, I have Spaghetti in the 2019 garden. DW claims that I have eaten a spaghetti squash before. It must have been from the farmers' market but I don't really remember it. Anyway, MY spaghetti squash is doing just fine! Next year, I hope to have Sugaretti, an All-America winner. I'm hoping to learn that they are good for winter pies :wink: . Maybe, huh?

Steve

Taiji
Greener Thumb

Thanks Steve for all the great info. When I get home to AZ I definitely will have to do some seed company research to know what to do. I'm afraid maybe here in the U.P. I may just have to give up on my favorite squash, butternut. Seems like it makes it to the green stripe stage, but then the cold comes. Funny thing, I've noticed that buttercup does better than butternut as far as reaching maturity, though the days to maturity is supposed to be longer for buttercup.

Yep, the up and down temps have certainly affected a lot of things adversely this year around here too.

We have a "heat wave" coming this next week. As high as 80 degrees and low 60's at night. Don't know if it will last long enough to warm the ground back up and start things ripening or not! Already had a 35 degree night a few weeks ago! I'm surprised it hasn't frosted yet.

I tossed in a pumpkin seed this year just for the heck of it too. I think it might make it; it's almost completely orange now. (variety Howden)

Taiji
Greener Thumb

The ever reliable Red Norlands. A few Russets. First year I've tried some Russets. And, a banner Turnip year. Cool weather I think has kept them mild; not a hint of bitterness.
2019 red no.jpg

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Beaitiful! Turnips are another of my can't-grow-too-well veggies. I can get the greens fairly easy, but as for the roots, I can't grow one bigger than the size of a quarter. :(

applestar
Mod

@TomatoNut95, If you want to grow them I would think this would be the time to sow seeds in your area. Be sure to prep the bed with Dolomitic lime if your pH is low-ish, and add plenty of phosphorus fertilizer. If you have alkaline soil, I think you are supposed to use something else — maybe gypsum and Epsom salts?

...what’s YOUR secret, @Taiji?

Taiji
Greener Thumb

With my turnips, it seems like every year, whether in AZ or here in the U P, the first turnip leaves always become peppered with pinholes and I think, ok, these plants are toast. I don't know if it's from flea beetles or thrips or what. But, I've learned if I just ignore the problem, eventually it stops and the leaves outgrow it.

As far as any secret, ha ha, I just plant seed and leave them alone. I do have better luck with them here in the U P than in AZ. I think it's the cool weather. A couple years in AZ, I had the "just greens" problem too. Maybe too much nitrogen too?

Turnips in AZ more bitter for sure. With those, I cut and peel, then boil. A lot of that bitterness goes away then. I noticed with turnips if I don't thin the plants, it doesn't seem to matter much. They just push each other out of the way and still get big. This doesn't seem to work with something like beets though.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Taiji wrote:Thanks!

This candy onion is one of some that are not too badly damaged; it is starting to bulb up. I'm happy about this in a way, but wish it had grown a few more leaves first. My Candys in AZ grew 13 or 14 leaves in some cases. But, then Candy onions are an intermediate day length onion so I shouldn't be surprised that they are doing this.
onion.JPG

When I lived in Phoenix AZ area, west valley I grew amazing large onions & large garlic. Day temperature is 70 degrees all winter Dec 1st to March 30. I planted onion & garlic around several 6 ft tall palm trees so they got irrigation 15 minutes 9 pm every night. I never fertilized them much. Food is so cheap at Food City onions are 10 for $1 with the weekly special why grow your own. Garlic was cheap too 10 for $1. Food City has lots of weekly specials. Lemons, limes, oranges, 10 for $1. Cool weather is what onions like I can't grow large onions or garlic in TN it is too hot in summer and too cold in winter.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

I have some gypsum, and have put some in my garden this year...or was that last year. Anyway, @Taiji, pinholes sounds like the work of flea beetles, and sadly, I have the flea beetles. I also will have cabbage worms attack some of the winter stuff.

Taiji
Greener Thumb

Left pic: These are definitely the largest Large Red Cherry I've ever grown. Maybe because they were on the vine so long without ripening and long day lengths here. They just kept growing. Don't get me wrong, these are really delicious, but they do lack just a bit that explosion of flavor that I get from the same variety when I grow them in AZ.

Right: At last some large ripe tomatoes. These went into spaghetti sauce. These are mostly Big Beef Hybrid. I put a lot of stock in these this year due to a forum discussion about them last year!
2019 tomato collage cherr.jpg
Pic on left doesn't really show how tall these giant sunflowers got to be. These are over 10 feet tall. Just now blooming. Finally realized the sunflower blooms for me always seem to face east or southeast; used to think they tracked the sun. So, I planted with that in mind; so we could see from kitchen window!

Oops! Pic on right is of my Kentucky Wonder bean trellis. Collapsed in high wind, rain and under the weight of the bean vines. Made this trellis out of my pseudo bamboo shoots that came from my pseudo sunflower probably not Jerusalem Artichoke perennial! I guess the shoots have their limits. They really absorb water.
I just looked out one day and the whole tower was gone. I was able to re support the mass of vines though with a large branch.
2019 sun and oops coll.jpg
Original trellis before the collapse
2019 trellis.JPG

Taiji
Greener Thumb

A jalapeno, and first red ripe cayenne and a serrano, though I have been using some green. These long thin cayenne are blazing hot. Am making salsa with them and fresh garden tomatoes.
2019 jal cay serr.JPG
I feel very fortunate at this stage to be able to get the things from the garden I've been posting recently. We are already beyond the average first frost date of September 11. According to the weather report no frost likely for the next 7 days at least. Yippee!

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”