Time for the 2019 placeholder post!
It's February, and I'm off work for Reading Week (aka Spring Break, though it's not spring). I work at a post-secondary institution. The weather is garbage, and I'm bored. Time to think about the garden, plan, and maybe shop. I won't feel like it once work is busy again.
Goals for this season: mostly the same as last year.
- Try bottle gourds aka opo squash.
- Keep track of yields on my spreadsheet again. I already started the blank one back in November.
- Grow more greens and actually eat them.
- Grow more cool weather veggies like radishes and kohlrabi. I have tons of seeds. Hopefully, the spring weather will cooperate. Related to the above, even if they fail, the greens are edible.
- Start additional micro-dwarf tomatoes around June or so, so that I can have more after the main crop.
- Overwinter a pepper or two again.
The To-Do list, in approximate order but no specific schedule yet:
- Bring home a tomato box from work
- Shopping: seed starting mix, new bulbs for the lights that burned out last spring, new storage tub for when the seedlings get too big for the tomato box, 2 new Rubbermaid tubs for when the plants get too big for the tomato box, Solo cups
Closer to early spring planting time (April):
- Bring the plant shelf up to the kitchen
- Get a sweet potato going
Closer to last frost:
- Shop for compost (I don't generate nearly enough)