SQWIB
Greener Thumb

"SQWIBS Urban Garden Adventure 2019"

"SQWIBS Urban Garden Adventure 2019"

Welcome to my SUGA 2019 page.

I am back for another year of gardening. (If you don't like a lot of jibberish, scroll down to February 16th)

Let's start with a quick breakdown of this page. Like in my SUGA 2018 page , the first part of this page is an intro of my thoughts.

The 2nd part of this page is a recap of my 2018 garden strategy, what worked and what did not.

Part 3 will detail my upcoming 2019 garden strategy. I consider my gardening year to start last harvest and fall cleanup but for the sake of keeping things organized, I'll just start this page as of January and recap the winter prep.

Part 4 of this page I'll be posting daily updates with plenty of photos throughout the 2018-2019 year.
Let's start with my "Long Winded" intro! You can skip to part 4, if your eyes start to bleed, don't worry I won't mind!

Part 1
Intro
Before I go into another long winded intro of my upcoming gardening year, I'll answer a few questions that I am sure many of you have asked.

Why does he post everything he does?
Well for quite a few reasons, when I write in my blogs, taking notes and photos, it keeps me interested in gardening all year long, especially in the winter months. I take photos of the wildlife in the yard, label them and do some research on them.
I use it as a reference, referring to past years with what worked, what hasn't, timing of planting, starting seeds, pest problems, plant diseases etc... to sum it up, it keeps me, interested, organized and hopefully a better gardener.

But why not just keep notes? Why tell the whole world?
That's because I learn a lot from others that I chat with on forums, I see what other folks are doing, talk to them, ask for advice and do a ton of research. A forum is a great motivator, especially in the off season when making preparations for the upcoming year.
Sometimes I'll get some friendly advice on what I am doing wrong, kudos on what I am doing right, suggestions on what plants to grow from folks with first hand experience, and other great ideas.
Not only are we sharing knowledge but were also sharing plants, seeds, supplies and other things as well as making friends. I also like to think I may be helping others as well. It is also a great way to minimize the learning curve a bit. This is what keeps me interested year round.

OK now back to my long winded intro.

It's funny how your perspective changes over the years, I guess there really is something about the saying, "older and wiser".
For years I tried to keep a nice yard, this meant, a "somewhat" green lawn, some ornamental shrubs, arborvitaes hedges, trees, flowers, etc..., you get the picture. Through this, I always had a little vegetable garden in the back yard.
Over the years I have nibbled away at the yard, mainly because I can't grow grass.
I added a few patios, installed a few ponds. In more recent years I added more gardening space in the way of Hugelkultur beds, Raised beds, vertical spaces, trellises, planters and small section gardens.
I removed most of my Ornamental plants, shrubs and trees and replaced them with more Bio-diverse plants like edible perennials and fruit trees.

So how has my perspective actually changed? Well for one thing, in the past, I would purchase plants for the yard not giving thought to Bio-diversity, after all, what the hell is Bio-diversity? Sure I still have a couple flowers out front that aren't as beneficial, native or multi-functional as they could be, but I do need to keep up some curb appeal and keep the wife happy, with that said I am working on becoming even more biodiverse.

Here are a few more observations.

Bugs... Bugs are a PITA, but are they? For years I would be bothered by the amount of bees, bugs and other flying critters in the yard as their were just too many, it seemed no matter where I was, there were bugs in my face! Now I am worried about bugs in the yard as there are not enough. It also seems that the insects stay off of the living areas more when my plants are in bloom, go figure, more bugs but less nuisance. Hover flies, and flies are quite the pollinators. Wood lice are rampant and welcomed in the garden. I installed a ceiling fan on the patio and have one on the bar on the deck, and these were mainly installed to keep the bugs at bay without using pesticides.

Other Bugs... Bugs like earwigs seem to be OK, slugs were a pain a few years back and were treated with sluggo, now I just heavily mulch the garden. There are also beneficial slugs like the leopard slug that keep the smaller slugs at bay and are a good food source for the turtles that live in the yard.
My biggest problem are ants, they can be beneficial but once they start farming the aphids, I end up with a really hard to control Aphid problem. I really hate to knock these guys out but sometimes I have no choice. Mosquitoes seem to be less of a pain during the early summer but are unbearable in the late summer especially when we get a bit of rain. I installed a few bat houses to hopefully alleviate this nuisance.
Keeping the grass trimmed and having all the marigolds all over may be helping a bit but not much. The mosquito problem is one of my 2019 projects I have been working on since the fall.

Stinging insects... Years ago, Carpenter Bees, Bumble Bees, Honey Bees, Mason Bees, Hornets, would make me nervous when gardening, now I just brush past them and they don't seem to mind. I am however allergic to bee stings. Mud daubers look scary but aren't a nuisance, other than the occasional nest that makes its way into a door jam.
I do have to be careful of the Carpenter Bees as they love tearing up the deck.

Birds and Squirrels, I didn't care for the birds that pecked at my tomatoes, now I love seeing them because I know they keep a lot of my plants pest free, and to be honest they don't seem as destructive as they use to be, maybe it's the sunflowers I have planted everywhere. I have been seeing a lot more different species of birds, like Humming birds, finches and woodpeckers.
The squirrels used to be horrid but not so much anymore, every now and then one will grab a tomato that is growing over the fence and what's funny is the same squirrel will come back later and eat that same tomato. I now put "over ripe" tomatoes on the fence and they seem to leave everything else alone, somewhat, with the occasional pepper being a snack.
If I have to sacrifice a few tomatoes and a pepper every so often, so be it!

Weeds... guess what, I'm fine with weeds, on occasion I let them grow to just before they flower and chop and drop right in the beds. Last year I had a prickly lettuce weed 4 foot tall that I chopped and dropped as mulch, think about all the nutrients that thing pulled from deep in the soil that is now available to the plants. Even if it is not a true dynamic accumulator, it at the least aids in tillage and bio-mas that feeds the microbes and beneficial insects. So I consider weeds beneficial for no till and free mulch and compost.

One thing I am getting better at as a gardener is to become more cut throat with my gardening, I used to let volunteers grow in places they shouldn't, leave near dead plants still growing if there is any bit of life to them, I used to prune like I'm afraid to hurt the plants and I start my fall gardening and winter prep too late. This past season I got much better at that.

Part 2

This year I plan on adding a few more strategies to my gardening, but first let me touch on a few strategies that I outlined for the 2018 growing year and see how I did, followed by a few mistakes that hurt me this season.

Rules for Raised Bed Garden Strategy - Compost, Chop and Drop, No Dig, No till, No Fertilizers, No Bagged amendments, Accumulate Materials locally.

The Rules for the Raised Bed Garden strategy was pretty successful but I need to work on my chop and drop method, I inter planted too heavily and too soon resulting in a bit of competition between the vegetable plants and my chop and drop plants, mainly with peppers in the Hugelkultur beds, planting out the peppers too early only magnified the problem. Adhering to "No Till" was a success, my only digging was if I was "in situ" composting but even that was at a bare minimum because I would fill in sink holes with kitchen and yard waste.
Last years end of season prep was a success using cover crops followed by Bio-char, Leaves, mulch and compost without relying on bagged amendments and fertilizers. I should clarify the no fertilizers part, I do use my own fertilizers like potash and urea but nothing purchased in the raised beds.

Plant in way of Guild

This was a total success especially with my Maypop, Blueberry, Comfrey Guild. The blueberries however did not bear much fruit and what little they did bear, the birds got them, no problem. I harvested quite a bit of Comfrey during the early part of the growing season and added to the beds but they slowed down in growth once the Maypops started shading them out.

Add more edible perennial
s

I added Hardy Kiwi, Grapes, Artichokes, Maypops, Lovage, Perpetual spinach and Sunchokes
The sunchokes didn't make it, and I ditched the Artichokes, they take up too much space for what they produce. It's too soon to tell if the grapes and Hardy Kiwi were a success, but time will tell.

Stack Functions

This goes hand in hand with Guilds.

Increase Bio-diversity

Here are a few things I have done to increase Bio-diversity. I have put in a rain garden with flowering plants, some native, seeded the lawn with white clover, allowed some vegetable plants like kale and bok choy to flower to feed beneficial insects, allowed weeds to grow for tillage and chop and drop, initiated chop and drop, planted dynamic accumulators, started actively "in situ" composting, added more native plants throughout the yard, inter planted, etc...

Mistakes

Timing - In an effort to get a jump on the season I Planted my transplants out too soon, many plants were stressed and some stunted and a few just struggled until they died, seedlings will go in the ground later this year, especially the peppers.
Labeling - I need to be more diligent in labeling the plants when transplanting.
Support - I need to support my plants better.
Inter Planting/Cover crops - I planted some cover crops too soon and they competed with the vegetable plants, this season I will under-plant cover crops once the plants are established.

OK now that last years strategy recap is done lets take a look at the upcoming year,

Part 3

2019 strategy

I have a tendency to go into something full throttle. I generally go hog wild, tweak then reduce. What I mean by that is, my first several years I have been adding a lot to the garden, utilizing every nook and cranny I can. The hog wild part is almost over and I am nearing my Apex so to speak, and have been transitioning into the tweaking stage. What that means for me is, I am at the point now where I will slowly start reducing/tweaking the garden until a point that I am comfortable with. A few of the things that I will be doing this year are removing the Air Pots, the vertical towers and the irrigation lines that feed them.

For this years garden, I'm going to try growing more Disease and crack resistant Hybrid tomatoes. I had a lot of my Heirlooms split the last two seasons especially with all the rain, I have gotten better at picking them a bit earlier to ripen off the vine but sometimes they're split and were still half green.

Every year, I experiment with a new fruit or veggie then tweak the garden keeping the stuff I like and ditching the stuff I don't, this has worked out pretty good but it is getting harder and harder to find space as I decide to keep more and more plants that do well, however, this is a good thing.
I decided to give up on Spaghetti squash, Table Dainty and Zucchini but will try cantaloupe and Butternut Squash this year. Zucchini has always been a fail because of SVB's, I will never grow it again, spaghetti squash was OK but I also get SVB's in the actual squash. I may go back to Spaghetti Squash some day.

Snow peas never get consumed but I usually do have great results growing these, I may be growing these again.
The yard long beans done great but no one cares for them, I'll be replacing them with Scarlet Runner Beans to dry at the end of the season and the plant is supposedly great for Hummingbirds.

I'm planning on growing more diversely, what we like and things that I can preserve by Drying, Canning and Pickling and will alternate different varieties each season, for instance I'm going to increase my tomato plants this year, for sauces, stewed tomatoes, salsas and such. I'll cut back on my peppers, mainly the hots. The last two years I canned and dehydrated plenty of Poblanos and made plenty of hot sauces.
I will be changing up my sweet peppers replacing the "Corno di Toro Giallo" and "Corno di Toro Rosso's with "Red Marconis".
The "Corno's" are very prolific but I like the Marconi's better.

Continuing with last seasons strategy I will also,

Extend my Growing Season

Take advantage of Early spring and fall planting like cabbage, beets, lettuces etc...

Continue working on Bio-diversity

Add more native plants, especially to the front yard. Install more habitats for beneficial wildlife, like a few bat houses.

Become Cutthroat

Eliminate plants that are diseased, or dying. Eliminate volunteers.

Grow with food preservation in mind and foods we like.
Grow items that can be canned, dried and pickled. I started a mini-orchard with dwarf fruiting trees, like peaches, pears, apples and figs. Adding Sweet Potatoes.

Spacing/support
Space plants more efficiently. Secure cages in the Hugelkultur beds better this season.

Planting
Plant out seedlings later in the season. Inter plant smarter! Add living mulches later in the year.

Get cheap
Keep spending at a minimum. Use what I have, become a bit more thrifty.

Composting
Since I have had good success with "in situ" composting, I will continue with with this method as long as there is no issues. I will still use my compost bin.

Learn

Wildlife - Identify and learn more about insects and other wildlife that are beneficial and non-beneficial and how to control destructive pests naturally/safely. Learn how to attract more beneficial insects/wildlife to the garden. I started ID'ing and documenting insects last season, what I do is photograph an insect and research it and make notes of the insect in my log.
Diseases - Learn how to identify, control, work around, various diseases naturally/safely.
Plant Care - Learn to trim plants better. I let my Beebalm and Sunchokes get too leggy this year and the plants just flopped over.

Install Rainwater Catchment
I already started working on this last year.

Axed things
Do not grow zucchini or table dainty EVER!!! Spaghetti squash is still a possibility
Do not grow yard long beans, snow peas, sugar snap peas, spinach, artichokes and Cape Gooseberry.

Plant Smarter

Plant Different Squash, SVB resistant
Plant more disease resistant varieties of tomatoes
Plant more items we like to eat.
Plant with preserving the harvest in mind.
Plant to utilize three seasons, trying this year.
Plant to utilize more space.

Part 4

My garden year starts at last harvest and when the cover crops are planted, so technically it is a 2018-2019 garden season, but for the sake of simplifying I'm referring to this as SUGA 2019 that will start with my seed starting but with a recap of fall/winter prep.

Recap of 2018 fall prep.(More info here)

Lets look at whats new this year;

In situ composting. (More info here)

Bat houses.(More info here)

Rain Water catchment and Diverting
. (More info here)

Gave my Grow Table a makeover. (More info here.)

Started an indoor garden.(More info here.)

Added to my "Mini orchard"
. So what is in the Mini Orchard? 2 Apple Trees, 2 Peach Trees, a Fig Tree, a Pear Tree, an Apricot Tree, Hardy Kiwis, Passion Flower, Reliance Grapes, Concord Grapes, Blackberries, Raspberries, Blueberries and Strawberries.

February 16th, 2019

Seedlings

Time to ready the grow table and start the seedlings.This is the official start of my SUGA 2019 garden!

Fall mums cleanup

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

February 19th, 2019

Starting some Peppers, Eggplants and Leeks.

Sweet Potato slips are coming along nicely.

Bok Choy and Waltham Broccoli have sprouted after a couple days, the Sun King Broccoli is a day behind.

February 21st, 2019

Harvested seeds from my Okra Pods

Finished my Tabasco Hot sauce, this has been sitting on charred oak for at least three years.

applestar
Mod

I zoomed in to see what variety jalapeño you were growing ... nope! :lol: Love the pronunciation guide. :P

Really liked how you reviewed past experiences and outlined strategies for the upcoming season.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:I zoomed in to see what variety jalapeño you were growing ... nope! :lol: Love the pronunciation guide. :P

Really liked how you reviewed past experiences and outlined strategies for the upcoming season.
Lol, it's an Early Jalapeno, burpee I believe.
The 'Hal Uh Peen Yo"! is a joke with me and my son, on the slip of the tongue one day I called them "Hal Uh Peeno" peppers.
He hasn't let me live it down.
I guess it's better than calling them
"Juh Lap a nose" peppers.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

February 22nd-24th, 2019

Finally got around to making my Dill Bread.

Harvested some leeks for dinner. Thank Goodness its been warm the last few days or I would have never gotten these out of the ground!

The Bok Choy (upper left) is from the indoor garden. Pork Fried Rice stir fry with shrimp and leeks.

Started my tomatoes from seed and some were cloned from the indoor tomato plants. I also planted some extra Big Beef Hybrids for root stock, I'm going to try and graft some Cherokee Purple tomatoes to the Big Beef.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

March 2nd, 2019

Friday after work I installed my permanent winter drain for the roof over the bar on the deck, weather permitting, I will tie that in and remove the temporary drain. (I'll post that in another topic when completed).

I have a lot of sprouts this week, not bad for 7 days!

The Hungarian wax, California Wonder, Rosa Bianca Eggplant and Black Beauty eggplant have not sprouted yet, pretty much everything else is up.

The sweet potato slips are slow growing.

March 4th, 2019

All the peppers, eggplants and tomatoes are up and I am actually impressed, I usually have a harder time with the peppers and sometimes eggplants.
I planted some Butternut squash and marigolds.

I couldn't find any Cantaloupe seeds in my arsenal so I picked up a few packs at Home Depot, I had to go there anyhow. Planted some Cantaloupe and dill.

Potted up the Jetstar clones

The backyard is a swamp so I haven't been able to get out there for my spring cleanup and to start my bio-char. The raised beds are starting to settle a bit, they dropped a few inches in the last few weeks, I'm hoping they settle a bit more because I really had them topped off. I knee-highed my Apricot tree out front and keeping my fingers crossed.

Allyn
Green Thumb

I wish we had a "Like" button so I could "Like" the posts without having to think of something clever to write. So......

"Like"

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Allyn wrote:I wish we had a "Like" button so I could "Like" the posts without having to think of something clever to write. So......

"Like"
Thank you I appreciate the kind words!

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

March 6th, 2019

Moved some plants into the powder room, hopefully there's enough sunlight to keep them going. Potted up some of my sweet potato slips, only had three.
Potted up some of my Basil clones.

Doubled up on the Basil plants per cup.

Started a few more clones from this Basil plant I let go too long, it actually flowered.

Trying to clone some cilantro.

applestar
Mod

This might be a tad early for the squash and melon especially in your germination favorable temperatures, they might be up in no time and get too big.

You might be able to get away with it if you use black plastic mulch to warm the soil before planting out, and tent the bed to protect from cold air temp. I would especially consider doing something like that for late maturing melons and SVB susceptible C.pepo and C.maxima squash varieties to get a jump start and have them produce/mature harvestable crop before they (inevitably) get taken down.

Sweet potatoes slips — you can cut the slips short as they grow too big/long and clone/root them like you have been doing with basil.

I second ‘liking’ your posts!

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:This might be a tad early for the squash and melon especially in your germination favorable temperatures, they might be up in no time and get too big.

You might be able to get away with it if you use black plastic mulch to warm the soil before planting out, and tent the bed to protect from cold air temp. I would especially consider doing something like that for late maturing melons and SVB susceptible C.pepo and C.maxima squash varieties to get a jump start and have them produce/mature harvestable crop before they (inevitably) get taken down.

Sweet potatoes slips — you can cut the slips short as they grow too big/long and clone/root them like you have been doing with basil.

I second ‘liking’ your posts!
I agree that it may be a tad too early, especially for the butternut squash, I'm hoping to pot them up and put in the grow tent. It's going to be at least another 6 weeks before I can get them in the ground. I do have a bit of a Micro climate where they will be planted.
This area gets sun most of the day and the fence seems to hold a bit of heat, maybe I'm wrong but we will see.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

March 10th, 2019

Potted up some more clones

The Butternut squash and cantaloupe are up.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

March 14th, 2019

I am very disappointed in my broccoli seedlings, Hales Best Jumbo Cantaloupe and Bunching onions. The broccoli seedlings look near death. The jumbo cantaloupe germination was very poor. And I have zero germination on the Bunching Onions.

I think I will harvest this lettuce this weekend and put all my taller starts on this shelf.

I tried doing some yard work but everything is still so wet.

applestar
Mod

Even though cold-hardy broccoli (and some Asian greens like tasoi, arugula, too) seeds germinate best (fastest) at mid to high 70’s, up to even low 80’s, but once they have germinated, should be grown at lower temperatures for spring — as low as 40’s to 50’s to 60’s until they are ready to be planted out. Most Cauliflower varieties likes it about 5°F warmer, but seedlings in containers can handle frost and sub freezing temps once acclimated, and established seedlings in the ground can withstand 20’s (but of course they won’t be growing at those temperatures).

Warm weather mustard and some warm weather brassicas need to be grown at minimum high 50’s to 60’s and not allow them to experience cooler temperatures or they will bolt when it gets warmer.

Onions take a long time to sprout — 21 days even at room temperature. When soaked and then treated like sprouting seeds, it still took them 10 to 14 days to even germinate. I think they won’t germinate if too warm? But I have to look that up.

If your cantaloupe germination seems spotty, try pre-germinating them first. And definitely try soaking overnight. Seeds that sink right away are good, and if ones that didn’t sink are still floating by morning, they are dud. (This is a reliable test for all cucurbit seeds) Any number of pre-germination/sprouting methods should work — sow when tiny root starts to grow to ensure you are sowing viable seed, and you will see them sprout within a couple of days. They need minimum high 70’s to 80’s for speedy germination... soil temp of at least 60’s to germinate eventually.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

March 14th, 2019

Moved the broccoli to the bathroom where its a tad cooler by the window, well see if it makes it.

The Jimmy Nardelo is loaded with flowers and about 5 peppers, but it looks like the freaking aphids found it also. I'm going to try a solution of 3% hydrogen peroxide (1 tablespoon) to 8 oz. of water and try to keep on top of it until it can go outside.

Harvested some lettuce for my lunch today. And the cilantro cuttings rotted away.

Dimmed the red lights to 25%, There is no need for the Bloom setting for seedlings. I don't know why I had them all the way up?

I got a lot of work ahead of me this weekend.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

March 18th, 2019

Back yard cleanup, I'll be making some Bio-char within the next few weeks, but this burn will be tossed in the trash, there are some undesirables in the pit.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

March 21st, 2019

The pepper seedlings were hit hard by Aphids, especially the poblanos. The plants look fine except the poblanos which are a bit stunted. I have been treating with a 1/3rd hydrogen peroxide to 2/3rd water spray. I soak the plants and the soil at least once a day.
I have slowly been getting some outdoor work done, I started up the back pond and the Koi pond, One pump was shot so I replaced that.

There is rain in the forecast so I hooked up the rain barrels. I collected about 15 gallons of rainwater in 5 gallon buckets to top off my back yard pond.

Winter drain bypassed

March 22nd - 25th, 2019

Yesterday (Thursday) at work I had an uh-oh moment and realized that the valves on the main rain barrel may still be open from being winterized so I called my daughter and had her close the valves. It is still raining as I write this at 7am (Friday), anyhow it was perfect timing to setup the rain barrels last weekend prior to the rain this week because the ponds were significantly low.

The back pond filled up no problem using the 10 gallons of rainwater I had in buckets from he rain last week and the run off of the playhouse from the rain this week. The Koi pond is still low, it's always low at the startup because a lot of the water is pumped up out of the pond into a Wendy filter and two veggie filters.

The Aphid battle continues. I have been spraying the plants and soil every 12 hours, I increased my Mix to 50-50. I have also been spraying the trays, I have seen some in the trays, I have also been spraying the other seedlings and the soil, I don't see Aphids on any of the plants other than the peppers but they may be in the soil.

The Aphids are loving this Jimmy Nardello. I noticed a couple on the tomato plant clones and the eggplant but so far they have left the cantaloupe alone.

I picked up two new planter 22" planters from Home depot for the deck, one of my planters busted over the winter, probably did not drain properly.

Up Potted my starts

Most of the pepper plants were loaded with Aphids, I had to hand wash each one, I even rinsed off the first 1/2" of soil.

After everything was potted up I washed out the trays real good.

Wiped down all the pots and placed them back in the tray and on the grow table.

Attempting a couple grafts this year, Cherokee purple grafted to Beefmaster

Sunday was a nice day, hardly no wind and the yard had dried out a bit, so I decided to start my Bio-Char and do a little yard cleanup.

I like the char very coarse.

Covered with potting soil that was from my Aphid Pepper plants. I'll check this in a few days.

The Rain Barrel was completely full, so I topped off the backyard pond. I'll be posting about the Rain Barrels soon.

I finished off my day with some composting, transplanting a dwarf Azalea plant and planted some Okra inside.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

April 8th, 2019

Most of the seedlings were moved outside last week. Finished the leek bed. Up potted some Marigolds and planted some Marigolds and Bok Choy in the raised beds.

I'm a bit worried about my pear tree, there is no new growth on the trunk but I keep getting growth on the root stock.

The Redhaven Peach Trees seem to be OK.

I planted my Red Cherry and performed the heading cut, just above two branches.

The figs are doing well.

Installed the Texas Tomato Cages and a few regular cages
Cleaned up the front a bit and cut the grass. Planted

April 10th, 2019

All the plant seem to be doing OK outside with the exception of the Aphids on the pepper plants, so far the lowest has been 45°F, but there is a low of 40° in the forecast.

My Okra seedlings have sprouted and are doing nicely, nothing from my last batch of Bunching Onions have sprouted. Cilantro, Parsley Perpetual spinach have sprouted, both of my Indoor parsley and cilantro died. My two tomato Grafts died. Transplanted the few bunching onions outside that did survive, I don't have much hope for these guys.
Took out a Jetstar tomato plant from the Grow room and placed on the bed still in the pot, it has several tomatoes on it but I don't expect them to mature properly.

My brothers Meyer Lemon Tree came in so I up potted that and put it under the grow lights for a few days.
A few strawberry plants survived the heavy winter mulching, but only on the edges, I didn't expect them to come back

April 15th, 2019

I decided to put my tomato plants in after checking the 10 day.
For my tomatoes, I decided to grow some hybrids this season, Big Beef, Beef Master and Jetstar, my heirlooms this year are, Abe Lincoln, Gardener's Delight and Kosova. After looking at my devastated pepper plants, I decided to toss them in hoping they would do better in the garden than the cups. The aphids are destroying theses guys and the pepper plants are severely stunted. I don't expect a good pepper crop this year.

I ripped out one of my Jetstar tomato plants from the grow tent and tossed that in with the other tomato plants. It got busted up pretty bad trying to untangle it from the other tomato plants in the grow tent. I ended up cutting the entire plant back to see what happens.

Big Beef and Beef Master hybrids in Texas Tomato Cages

I am crowding my peppers this year to see what happens.

I have three different varieties of eggplant this year, Listada di Gandia, Rosa Bianco and my go to, Black Beauty.

My asparagus never came back so I said to hell with it and planted peppers in the Asparagus bed.
It looks like something is nibbling on my Marigolds so I put some Sluggo in the beds.

I am extremely happy with the soil this year, I dug down about 10" and it looks great, I'll continue in-situ composting as much as possible.

Everything is planted with the exception of some Marigolds, the turtles are out cruising the yard, the Koi are more active, so I started feeding them.

Finally came up with a Plant Marker that I like. I added some more re-mesh to the trellis on the left side of the fence. The fruit trees are growing nicely.

RES rescue in the pond.

Turtle waiting for the Guild to grow in, lol.

Comfrey is coming in but the dog keeps eating it.

Mushrooms everywhere but they're not the ones I inoculated the wood chips with.

I had a few asparagus spears show up after I had planted the area with peppers, but to be honest I gave up on Asparagus and whatever grows, grows. I contacted Gurney and they gave me a credit so I ordered some Strawberry plants.

April 21st, 2019

Finished up my Leeks that wintered over for some Leek Potato soup. Got 2.25 pounds of leeks so I had a hefty pot of soup for Easter Dinner. Replanted some leeks.
Planted the Strawberry plants, mainly as a ground cover.

I'm battling ants again, they are everywhere. Put out some Outdoor Terro Baits.

May, 4th - 8th 2019

We have been getting a good amount of rain, my Rain Barrels are staying full. I have yet to hook up the city water, everything has been watered from the Rain Barrel setup.
Planted some of my Celeste Figs on the hill and one in a pot on the deck.
Still planting stuff here and there, Parsley, Eggplants, Peppers, Dill.
I lost all but one of my squash and melon plants. I direct sowed a bunch of seeds.
My peppers are struggling as well as my Okra, I think next year I'll put these out on Mothers day.
Dug out all of the horseradish root and planted in pots, I was afraid it would take over the neighborhood.
I have a few tomatoes ripening on the plants that were moved from the indoor garden to the outdoor garden.

May, 8th - 11th 2019

It's been raining for three days straight, My Rain barrels are always at full capacity. I still haven't turned on the drip lines yet.

We had a sad day today, one of the rehab RES turtles didn't make it.

Tomato plants are growing nicely but the peppers are still struggling with the exception of the pepper plants in the veggie filter... go figure!

This is the Jetstar that I trimmed back to almost nothing.

I called it quits on the indoor garden as I was getting ripe tomatoes on a few of the outdoor plants already. I couldn't bear to terminate these plants so I tossed them on the deck, I can't see them doing too well and they will probably succumb to a fungus or early blight due to the density of the foliage, but I'm not going to worry about it.

My leek garden finally perked up, I was getting worried about these guys, I was babying them since they were planted. I only lost a few

The pond plants are growing nicely

applestar
Mod

Looking good! Your iris pic is reminding me that I want to transplant some of my blue flag iris into the bog/gravel filter when it’s ready.

The poor turtle — did you unearth it and find it?

The remains of your winter garden — they really grew! I can’t even see you under all that armful. :lol: I still think you should try releasing ladybeetles for aphid control, though. I thought about sending you a small pill bottle full, but mine were already getting pretty sluggish and I didn’t want to end up giving you dead ones. Good thing, too because I found one clutching a cocoon — it had been used as host by a predatory wasp.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Thanks Apple.
The turtle was a floater, we still don't know what happened, he was battling a shell fungus so my daughter didn't want to release him into the wild, she would have most likely put him down if his shell wasn't cleared up by the fall..

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Be careful with turtles they carry diseases that are deadly to humans. Read this link.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5626a1.htm

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

To add to your comment...

"Salmonella bacteria are found naturally in the intestines of mammals, birds, reptiles, some pets, some humans and is also present in the environment. Salmonellosis, a serious infection of the gastrointestinal tract, can be spread by handling animals or even by human-human contact. It is very important to wash your hands thoroughly and practice good hygiene after handling animals or cleaning up after them. Pet turtles have a higher chance of transmitting salmonella because their food and waste accumulates in the stagnant water in their tank, whereas turtles in the wild live in a cleaner environment. While it is possible to get Salmonella from turtles, it is not turtle specific and is easily avoided."

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Chickens are another one besides reptiles to practice good hygiene around.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

May, 12th - 20th 2019

I got a few apples on my Columnar apple trees. The aphids destroyed the top 4" of this branch so I just cut it off.

Worked on the lighting, added a few more pathway lights and installed 20 watt (2.4 watt) Led bulbs on all the pathway lights and one of the hugelkultur beds.

Since all my cantaloupe and all but one of my Butternut squash died, I planted some seeds a few weeks ago, still nothing. So I picked up some more seeds and planted again...heavily!

Planted the rest of my Marigolds all over the place.

The peppers finally started growing a bit, the tomato plants are doing great and eggplants are holding their own.
I installed my Bug Hotel on the back fence it was a Christmas Gift from Amanda and had to laugh because there was already a mason bee visiting the hotel.

Changed up a few things this weekend, Laura and Amanda really wanted some Hydrangeas they saw at Sams club, three to be exact, so I compromised on two, However there were none to be found, then I remember seeing hydrangeas in Lowes earlier in the morning, so we headed to Lowes and picked up two hydrangeas. I moved my leeks out of the leek pot, replaced the planter then I removed the peppers and okra out of the other planter. Whats sad is these plants are sterile and not good for beneficial insects.

Chopped down my Kale tree in the Hugelkultur bed by the pond.
We stopped at Lecks nursery and picked up our usual sunpatients some Gerber Daisies and I grabbed some Lemon Thyme for the herb garden and a few cucumber plants for my mom, we also picked up a few sunpatients for the next door neighbor and we got them all in Saturday.

We put a sunpatient in the upper veggie filter, I usually put in three sunpatients in clay pots, this year I decided on Cali lilies that I pulled from out front, some marigolds and the one sunpatient, I'm also testing out Grow Bags as opposed to the clay pots, they're easier to store and don't break, lol. All of the potted plants in the veggie filters have a heavy mix of Bi-char mixed in them.

After all the flowers were in I added a bit of Osmocote to the flowers and planters.

I was preparing to spray some of the plants with an insecticidal soap because the Aphids are out of control.
After closer inspection I noticed a lot of Hover flies, a parisitized aphid and a lady bug so I opted for a manual removal and will try to wait it out.

My King Stropharia spawn exploded.

Of course I had to eat one!

My choke berry, Pomegranate and Gogi berry plants arrived, I potted them up and will give them a week or two before planting.
The red maple to the left is about 3 years old, it was a start from my now gone red maple out front. I have been keeping it for my neighbor, but I don't think he will ever pick it up.

May, 21st, 2019

Cleaned the pond filter and skimmer and replaced a pump that feeds the upper veggie filter.

I finally turned on the drip lines, I have them on for 3 hours every 3 days, I'll be bumping that up to 4 days once my pepper plants take hold. The drip lines are 1/2 GPH @ 12" spacing.
The watering needs of the the entire garden using just the rain barrel got to be too time consuming, I'll still supplement the watering with the rain barrel, I have a few areas that dry out quicker than my beds.

I was going a bit nuts trying to figure out why most of the drip lines weren't working, I forgot that I had installed a union in the center low point of the main line for winterizing and neglected to reconnect it, also the feed for the planters on the deck weren't working, I must have plugged that line up last year, DOH!

I have the front yard drip lines on for 30 minutes each day and will bump that up to an hour every other day once the flowers get established, then hopefully an hour every third day.

applestar
Mod

How is the king stropharia? I’ve been thinking about growing them but read mixed reviews on taste.

Hydrangea — those look like big leafs — they sometimes don’t survive the really cold winter around here. If they happen to not make it, consider getting a dwarf cultivar of native hydrangea that grow well in containers and are winter hardy. Some really cool new varieties have been introduced recently — Luis has mentioned them in the hydrangea forum. I bought them for my MIL after her macs and lacecaps died. My neighbor has a couple of the bigger ones.

I keep planting other (edible) things where they would be best suited, so I haven’t gotten around to getting myself any yet....

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:How is the king stropharia? I’ve been thinking about growing them but read mixed reviews on taste.

Hydrangea — those look like big leafs — they sometimes don’t survive the really cold winter around here. If they happen to not make it, consider getting a dwarf cultivar of native hydrangea that grow well in containers and are winter hardy. Some really cool new varieties have been introduced recently — Luis has mentioned them in the hydrangea forum. I bought them for my MIL after her macs and lacecaps died. My neighbor has a couple of the bigger ones.

I keep planting other (edible) things where they would be best suited, so I haven’t gotten around to getting myself any yet....
The King Stropharia were fine, they tasted like... uh, mushrooms, lol.
I will do that with the hydrangeas if they don't make it, and get a beneficial one not these sterile "mopheads", but hey, I gotta make the wife happy, after all, she let me turn the yards into mini jungles. lol.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

May, 27th, 2019

I got a lot done this weekend, although, considering I had three full days, I should have got more done.

I had asked the wife to sit out to chat while I done some yard work, so I was taking a break sharing a lemonade with her and she swats her knee, I said, "What was that" she said, "some bug", so I said, "what kind of bug", her reply of course was, "I don't know, just some bug". I read her the riot act and told her not to swat my bugs anymore!

I potted up some plants, redone the walkway in front of the raised beds.
Ran some irrigation lines, cleaned up a bit.
Trimmed some plants, hung a few things up, buried another turtle, had him for 10 years and he drowned in the pond, very sad.

Recycled some old dog crates into trellises, put in a few more perennials and marigolds.

Moved my Butterfly bush to make room for the Apricot tree I planted in the fall.

The rain barrels are low, actually my 90 gallon is empty so I made some modifications to the 90 gallon tank, the timer kept clogging so I had to come up with a better screen setup. I also tweaked the overflow, I put in an elbow, increased the hose diameter and used a section of clear tubing for a sight window. We are supposed to get a lot of Rain this week so I turned off the drip lines.

Still debating on using an insecticidal soap on the plants, I see a lady bug every so often and other beneficials but the Aphids may be winning. I have seen a few birds picking at the bottoms of the leaves, so I don't know if they are picking the aphids, the lady bugs or both?
The plants don't look stressed so I'll give it another week.

I swapped out some of the fabric planters in the small veggie filter so they are all the same size now, my symmetrical obsessed wife is happy.

I have been training my grapes and Hardy Kiwi plants, trimmed the grape vines and Laura made some Dolmathes from the grape leaves this weekend, she has also been making mint tea from the spearmint, this has become a family favorite.

There are a few Jetstars that are ripening. I trimmed the lower leaves from the tomato plants.

Cleaned up the Mini Azalea in the hell strip, fixed my Pond Skimmer net.
I also threw in a bunch of pictures from around the garden.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

June, 3rd, 2019

It was a fairly productive weekend in the yard. I started cleaning up under the deck, still got a bit to go.

I had some leftover peat moss and some perlite that got wet in the storm so I spread them on top of the beds.

Amanda had this little bird feeder laying around so I set that up.

I picked some Hungarian wax peppers, sliced and tossed in a pickle jar.

I picked up some flowers for the front yards and back yard, most of the plants weren't native but I'm a bit annoyed that all my native plants I purchased last season did not come back with the exception of my milkweeds. Most of the plants I picked up at Lowes are Herbaceous perennials.

Sowed some Nasturtium seeds, fingers crossed.

Cleaned out the pantry and found these so I figured I would give it a shot.

I also picked up a hummingbird feeder.

When I was poking around in the outdoor lighting section in Lowes, I came across some Led Deck Lights that I thought would be awesome for the back yard retaining wall. I had round ones that got beat up over the years that weren't working and looked like junk.
I figure I would grab them since I seem to have money to burn!

I removed all the capstones and wired the new lights in, then using an angle grinder and diamond bit, I cut the lights in a bit then siliconed with some 832 Dow coring silicone.

Installed another set of Vintage Led String lights under the deck.

I still haven't decided on the use of insecticidal soap yet, I saw quite a few sparrows under the tomato plants cleaning the leaves. I'll try to get a closer look this week and see whats going on.

Random pics from the garden.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I bought 1 of these sprayers from Harbor Freight about $4 with the 20% discount coupon. Best thing I ever bought it has 8 settings. I turn the dial to JET then I give each of my tomato plant a hard 5 second water spray every evening 1 hr before dark it knocks off all the bug, aphids, worms, etc.

When do you plant your strawberries & how much work are they? I have always wanted to grow strawberries I might try some next year. There is a farm up the road 1 mile from me they plant 5 acres of strawberries in March then harvest the whole month of May, then plow it under in June. I heard it takes 2 years to grow strawberries some how they do it in 3 months.

What is that with all the bamboo pieces?
Attachments
92398_W3.jpg
47950622192_538252f6bf_b.jpg
Last edited by Gary350 on Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

My aphid problem seems to be under control now, but a careful inspection this weekend will confirm.
The spray idea sounds good, better than insecticidal soap.

The bamboo thingy is a bug hotel, you can see there are about 8 or so residents (plugged holes).

I grow strawberries as a mulch in one of my beds, I get enough strawberries to snack on when in the yard but that's about it. I killed most of my plants last year by laying down cardboard then mulching.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

June 6th, 2019

Not much going on in the garden but there's plenty of outside work to do, I did pick a few tomatoes, tweaked the tomato plants in the cages a bit and cleaned out the firepit ashes and put in the raised beds.

I replaced most of my 1/4 watt led bulbs on the hugel beds with the new 2 watt bulbs, I have 5 more to go.
I also started working on the underdeck and patio. Staining the underdeck supports, cleaning the out door rug and cleaning up the patio.

It's been a wet couple of months so I wont be able to get the outside and top of the deck done until it dries out a bit.

My pit table was pretty beat up so I sanded it down and clear coated with some Acrylic spray.

My prep table was also looking beat up, so I painted that as well.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

June 7th, 2019

Random pics

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

June 10th, 2019

This was a very productive weekend I started staining the outside of the deck, finished staining the under decking, and painted the gutters.
Since I was on a roll, I stained my Koi Pond bench and the fence/bar by the pit. I Scrubbed the hell out of the outdoor rug and cleaned up under the deck.
I decided to run some grape vines under the gutter.

Worked on my Hardy Kiwi vines and trimmed the grapevines.

Setup my Espalier wires for the pear tree.

So far this year I used my drip irrigation one day, I have been watering with the rain barrel. The front yards are getting 25 minutes every other day, once the flowers take hold I'll tweak that to half hour every three days.

And I posted some random shots of the garden.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

June 11th, 2019

Completed my first summer pruning on the cherry tree and started training the branches, just hope I didn't screw it up.

I ordered 4 more Texas tomato cages with extensions but ordered the large 24" thinking that was what I already had (I had 20" TTC), my plan was to use the extensions on the Big Beef and Beef masters on the hill and use the 4 new cages in the hugelkultur beds. Anyhow it worked out better as the 24" cages are better suited for the Big Beef and Beefmasters, but I had to slip the 24" TTC over the 20" cages so I wont get to use the 4 (20") cages this year.

The eggplant plants in one of the air pots and one in the planter are out performing my plants in the raised beds and hugelkultur beds.

Posted a few random garden pics also.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

June 12th, 2019

I ordered my TWP satin for the deck last week. Started removing everything from the deck and bringing a lot of the deck stuff in the house then begun the tedious task of cleaning the boards, I bypassed the rain barrel and connected the gutter into a smaller barrel and ran a hose to the drain.
Sam and I (mostly Sam) bleached and scrubbed the hell out of the deck, then sprayed the deck down real good with a garden hose, I decided against the power washer because it raises the grain too much. The stain came in but there were two problems, rain in the forecast and the company sent me the wrong stain so I had to reorder the stain.

We're having my family over this weekend so everything is being scrubbed, sorted through and placed back on the deck until I can get a few days without rain, then everything will be removed again, but at least everything will be clean.

While messing with the 165g rain barrel I noticed the screen wasn't really working out to well so I fixed that, I also noticed the 90 gallon tank wasn't filling the Koi pond, the screen filter on the timer was getting clogged every few days. I removed the screen filter on the timer and redesigned the pre filters on the barrel, hopefully this will work.

June 14th, 2019

I decided to plant some red beets so I made a little garden in a garden.

Made some wood labels and started labeling the herbs.
I was inspecting the garden looking for my parsley and couldn't find any... oops! I do have plenty of cilantro, some has flowered and some is growing nicely, I also have a few seedlings to plant out later.
I started some parsley, it's a bit late but I really like my parsley.

We have been getting a lot of rain so the irrigation lines are off.

Something took two of my eggplants, oh well.
Planted some cantaloupe starts, I direct sowed this area three times and nothing! I don't know if a critter was eating the seedlings or not so I started some in pots then planted. I have another dozen as backup.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

June 19th, 2019

Still raining and looks like it will continue till Friday, I have been hoping for a break so I can stain the deck. Drip irrigation is still turned off.

Hardy Kiwi is growing like crazy

I decided to hold off on spraying the plants, I still have aphids around but they're not hurting the tomato plants. I do have to regularly go out and clean off a pepper plant that is loaded with ants. I'll probably make up a few homemade Terro Baits and put them out.

The grapes are doing great.

I stopped at the recycle center Saturday and picked up some wood chips and compost.
Put in a little garden bed on the hellstrip around the lamp post, dogs pee on this and only weeds will grow around the pole, so I put in some flowers and a Pee rock, lol.

This is the first year that my Japanese Stewartia has bloomed.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

June 25th, 2019

Harvested the perpetual spinach and made some Quiche type things. The round ones were onion, garlic, spinach, egg and cheese then I made a few in the square pan and did a buffalo chicken and a ranch chicken.

Trimmed the neighbors yew plant and used the trimmings for mulch, The neighbor wanted to cut it down and I said I would take care of it, I love the idea of free readily available mulch with minimal effort! Also trimmed my Juniper bush, more mulch.

I finally got around to making my Mini Raised bed for in front of the playhouse, the weeding was getting to be too much to deal with, I used some red oak salvaged from an old pallet and planted a few Nasturtiums with the Okra.

The pond plants all seem to be doing well.

The rain has finally let up long enough for me to stain the deck, I needed a minimum of 3-1/2 days without rain. I got that in just under the wire!

Stained 2/3rds of the deck Sunday morning then after it was dry enough to walk on I moved the grill, table and chairs on the stained part and had the girls finish the deck.
I had Laura help me a few hours in the morning.

Everything seems to be growing well, the peppers finally started showing some serious growth. A few of my stunted eggplants started showing some serious growth as well. I have a few ripe tomatoes on my Abe Lincoln and the Kosovo tomatoes are starting to blush.
I'm still seeing Aphids but they seem to be under control so no spray as of yet.

The cilantro that has flowered has been bringing in a ton of pollinators. My parsley seeds have finally emerged, I just couldn't justify buying a parsley plant from the Big Box Store.

My asparagus has come back to life and overtook my pepper plants. I am still battling ants everywhere, mainly around the house. I think the mouse battle is over, I think the last count was around 30.

Tossed on 20 pounds of Pork Butt for my brother and of course we had to sample it.

It was a very productive weekend!

And as usual, my little buddies are there to greet me when I get home.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

I'm tired of posting pictures on this forum and loosing them after twenty minutes of tagging, for now on I'm posting a link to my website!!!!!!!

Scroll to July 3rd

https://sites.google.com/site/sqwibsurb ... nture-2019

webmaster
Site Admin

Hi SQWIBS,

Sorry about that problem. There was a setting I hadn't thought about that limited how many pics could be uploaded per post. It was set at eight. I just increased it to twenty.

Please accept my apologies and thank you for bringing this to my attention.

8)

Roger

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

webmaster wrote:Hi SQWIBS,

Sorry about that problem. There was a setting I hadn't thought about that limited how many pics could be uploaded per post. It was set at eight. I just increased it to twenty.

Please accept my apologies and thank you for bringing this to my attention.

8)

Roger

No apologies needed, Its just too much work to tag everything, especially all the pics I post.
I never noticed an 8 pic limit, I have been able to post more than twenty at a time.

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”