applestar
Mod

Re: Applestar’s 2019 Garden

Managed to get all three varieties in the ground. I had started way too many seeds so I sowed seeds in all of the spaces (no succession) — 3 rows in each mounded wide row at approximately 8” in-row spacing. I still have extra seeds that are germinating so I will sow them in containers as backup, I think.

(The pictured Latte F1 and not pictured Luther Hill seeds look very similar - you’re not missing anything. 8)
My Medley on the right — so pretty. :wink: )
Some of the germinated corn seeds being planted —

...with all the weeds from cleared/prepped beds added, plus the 2 inches of rain during which I left the lid open to thoroughly water, the compost bin started chugging along, up to 80°F in ambient air temp of 60°F...

applestar
Mod

Harvested some lettuces and greens, as well as the first of the purple passion asparagus, and some more Ostrich fern fiddles since DD2 who tasted them for the first time this year liked them so much. :D

applestar
Mod

Harvesting big outer leaves from this Patio.SIP lettuces almost every day. Last couple of days of high heat was making me concerned that they will bolt, but Temps are going back down now with at least 3 overnights in the upper 40’s coming. But I have to remember that I actually meant for this box to finish up when it’s time to plant tomatoes and peppers.... :o
...there are various other stage lettuces growing, including these in VGA (Vegetable Garden - A).

...Right half of the 6 foot long VGB.PSRB (VG-B Pallet-sided Raised Bed) in the background is where I decided to grow Pink and Purple Mexican corn this year. Can you see the pre-germinated dark pink seeds? 12 of them in 2ft x 3ft space is way too close, but I’m hoping they will be stunted shorter than the totally unmanageable 12-15 feet with first ear at 8-9 feet (and hopefully still produce ears as long as I feed them well). This location is a low point in the boundary with the neighbor and will benefit from pooling rain and irrigation water as well as fertilizer runoff.
Remaining pre-germinated corn seeds were sown in the half gallon rice milk cartons as back-up (actually the ones I used for peas re-closed with duct tape :wink: ). The yellow post-it labeled one is a bit interesting — seeds in this were tiny, runty, shriveled/shrunken kernels that came from intentionally hand-pollinated ear of Applestar’s #Sweet# Medley x Japanese Striped Maize. I soaked and pre-germinated them separately, hoping these are viable seeds carrying the synergistic sweet genes, and I was prepared for them to be just duds — runty immature kernels. But to my delight, they germinated! :-()

applestar
Mod

I didn’t get the chance to check on the garden yesterday, but the milk cartons of corn had started to poke up on the patio table. :D We just had a bit of a storm pass through — about 1/4” rain according to official reports. More rain coming today. That should help — corn loves extra moisture.

Hopefully that will get them fully sprouted before we’re hit with the drop in temperature. I believe it’s cold soil before germinating that can spoil the corn seeds — once sprouted they can take a bit of cold.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:I didn’t get the chance to check on the garden yesterday, but the milk cartons of corn had started to poke up on the patio table. :D We just had a bit of a storm pass through — about 1/4” rain according to official reports. More rain coming today. That should help — corn loves extra moisture.

Hopefully that will get them fully sprouted before we’re hit with the drop in temperature. I believe it’s cold soil before germinating that can spoil the corn seeds — once sprouted they can take a bit of cold.
Get them rain barrels going!

applestar
Mod

I have 2 working ...3rd one will replace an existing broken one with a slow leak — I was waiting to empty that one but ... :roll: ... it’s filled up again.

applestar
Mod

The garden looked like this last evening —
...but I went out today, and the corn are starting to sprout in ALL the beds :-()

Couldn’t walk in the soft soil of the garden, so filled the blue half-barrel with pulled grass stalks. Hopefully I got to them in time so they will wilt/dry without developing seeds, and I will be able to use them as hay mulch.

applestar
Mod

My seedlings are not doing very well this year due to unidentified malady or problem — possibly related to potting mix... but there are probably enough to plant and possibly more than enough despite being only a percentage of what I’d started out.

These variegated Shimofuri seedlings are making me happy at any rate :D
(my own tomato cross that I’m trying to stabilize - saladette-sized pink pointed plum/heart fruits, hopefully on short, sprawling determinate vines suitable for large hanging basket, windowbox, and patio container growing.)

applestar
Mod

Almost all of the corn are up :D

...those are the overwintered mini cabbages bolting and blooming under the insect tunnel. :|

[spoilers ... well not really ... does anyone remember that composting manual called “Let it Rot”?]

A sight only gardeners could find rewarding, I suppose — this is what I saw when I dug up the middle of my compost pile to add more kitchen scraps :mrgreen:

Last edited by applestar on Fri May 03, 2019 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Found/Added link to ‘Let It Rot’

applestar
Mod

This is a picture from 5/8 when I saw the Indigo Bunting, but two days ago, AFTER pulling all those poison ivy as I mentioned in the moan/groan thread, I went to look out from the upstairs window and there was a BIG RABBIT sitting in the corn! I could see that 6-7 of the corn were laying on the ground like the blasted thing had nipped them from the base and decided they weren’t good to eat. Well, lemme try this one, nope... well maybe that one. :evil:

My DD was willing to go out and chase it off. She saw it go under our big boundary fence to the neighbor’s side yard. ugh! I had her stuff some old bamboo poles in the gap for temporary measure, and have been nervously keeping an eye on the garden ever since. (I had to rest yesterday)

I’ll see what I can do to secure that entry point, but I really need to thoroughly make sure that the entire side garden fencing is tight since young bunnies can get in from smaller gaps than adults. I may also temporarily put up a rabbit fence around the corn until they get bigger.... I do have backup plants in rice milk cartons that are ready/need to be planted to fill the gaps.

Yesterday, while waiting for DD at her piano lesson, I reviewed and updated my planting plans for the major garden beds.

I’m eager to get planting since the temperatures are going up this week, and I have tomato plants that are hardened and ready, as well as some other stuff that are “dying” to be planted already... strawberries need to be rescued from all the weeds trying to take over ... next phase of pond project needs major excavation and contour work before the frogs and the snake become too active ... I want to get started on the hypertufa projects ... start actualizing the greenhouse and stardome projects ... and somewhere in there, I have to squeeze in cleaning up the front mailbox and porch-side beds.... :roll:

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:.... there was a BIG RABBIT sitting in the corn! ......
My DD was willing to go out and chase it off. She saw it go under our big boundary fence to the neighbor’s side yard. ugh!
I was at the bulk section in a garden/feed store. A lady beside me was bagging a lot of seed, of ... I don't member what. I remarked on it and she said she throws it over into the neighboring yard so the rabbits stay on that side of the fence.

applestar
Mod

Image Image

applestar
Mod

Planted the nagaimo/jinenjo that grew from H-mart purchase in VGD.PSRB (Vegetable Garden D, Pallet-sided Raised Bed):

- Bottom-left is VGB-PSRB side, with volunteer Gobo/burdock in the foreground, just weeded open space reserved for C.moschata squash, and Pink and Purple Mexican corn growing.

— Trying the pipe method:
https://www.ja-shizuoka.or.jp/topia/agri ... /0903.html

- Also planted the greens in the front here — mostly the remaining kale and onions — from the Garage V8 Winter Garden...
- and planted the started C.pepo and C.maxima squashes. Some of them should be Godiva hulless, maybe Rondo de Nice squash/zuke....

- View of VGC and VGA, and close-up view of VGA from the other side:

applestar
Mod

Starting to harvest some peas, strawberries, and cherries. Lettuce are starting to bolt in the heat. Expecting to harvest most of them within the week.

PEAS —

* Top Left and Center - Sugar Magnolia
* Bottom Left - Emerald Archer
* Top Right - Sugar Sprint
* Bottom Right - Iona Petit Pois

applestar
Mod

Playing catch-up now — beginning to plant started cukes, melons, squash, tomatoes.... Will be planting more started melons where the window is warming the soil.

- Harvested chickweed that was covering the upper 2/3 of this VG.SIP. Most will be dried to be used for making skin salve with violet later on.
- Thinned/test Harvested baby carrots from here and other beds
- Starting to harvest Super Sugar Snaps from the SFH bed remesh panel trellis

applestar
Mod

I have been unable to get around to taking care of my espalier fruit trees again. They are going to need major re-do.

The cherry trees, intended to become “FAN” style has grown too tall and had sparse fruits WAY up in the 10-12 ft tall upright branches this year.

I wasn’t up to getting the ladder out, and was going to let the birds have them, but then tried, and found out the cherry branches are supple enough to be bend way down without breaking.

...I wonder if it’s too late to cut these limbs? Since I can bend them, maybe I should just tie them down to near horizontal? Maybe 10-15°?

- Purple Sugar Magnolia snap peas — they are not as sweet and tender as Super Sugar Snaps — I learned AFTER starting to grow them this spring that these are not as sweet as a similar variety called Magnolia Blossom so I will try that one next year. The extra long podded Emerald Archer Shell peas are very sweet. None of these peas are making it into the pot — they, along with baby carrots, are grouped with the berries and cherries and are being treated like garden fresh snacks by the DD’s. :D

applestar
Mod

This year, I’m trying several approaches with the fruit trees.

- I’m trying to bag the table grapes to see if that will help with the fruit rot they suffered last year. I read that grapes self-fertilize (like tomatoes and peppers) so bagging them early, while in flower or just after petal-fall will help minimize fungal infection as well as deter attention from insect/bird/animal pests. I’m using waxed paper bags for these.

- The bagged ones were not sprayed, though spraying with fungicide is said to improve results (I did just this morning find my copper fungicide so I may spray-and-bag the remaining fruit trusses)

- It’s hard to see in the photo, but unbagged ones were sprayed with Surround for the time being.

- For apples, there is an overwhelming recommendation to just use plastic zip bags with corners cut off. I’ve sprayed the unbagged ones with Surround this morning. I might still try the nylon booties (apparently they have better results if soaked first with Surround)

- I found out that the zip bags won’t fit over peaches with their shorter stems. For now, I’ve sprayed them with Surround, but may go back to protecting them with plastic sandwich and berry clamshells since chipmunks and squirrels go after them when they are close to ripening. (I may also switch up to clamshells for the apples to protect them from animal marauders later.)

- While I had the sprayer loaded, I’ve started spraying Surround on my tomato, pepper and eggplant seedlings as well as cauliflower, broccoli and Brussels Sprouts which are attracting unwanted attention from the Cabbage whites and cabbage moths. I need to get the powder form of Bt since I can’t stand the smell of the liquid. I also need to *find* my bolt of tulle so I can cover them up in a tent.
- Although I did add a small amount of sticker, Surround tended to bead and roll off of the crucifer leaves. I have to decide if I want to/can use more sticker when spraying them. Surround has a way of drying into eye-blinding WHITE... and peach fuzz tomatoes, etc. look more than adequately covered.... maybe spray the waxy plants on a separate day so as not to confuse the concentration of sticker.....

applestar
Mod

Finally got the biggest of the tomatoes planted in HaybaleRow (Prep: scuffle hoed, scattered Tomato-tone, Dolomitic lime, and Epsom salts, then forked and raked... approx. 1/4-1/2 cup TT in bottom of each planting hole)

{From far/NE end}

Cows tit (2)

(fence panel on T-posts)

Homer Fike’s Yellow Oxheart (2)

{back/north}
Prudens Black (1) PL lost label

{front/south}
PaddyMC’s Steelhead (PL?)

(…Tunnel…)

{back/north}
Dwf Chocolate Lightning
Pennheart (kgolden’13) (2)

{front/south}
Totem f1
Yellow Dwarf x Sungold F3 (CKinNC’15?)

applestar
Mod

4 ft x 4 ft x 12”H VGA (Vegetable Garden [raised bed] A) volunteer tomatoes are growing like crazy. I really need to cull/lift out most of these and only keep about 8 at most....

Earliest of them have started to bloom. There are several variegated seedlings and a couple of dark antho ones, though it’s hard to tell now with them covered with Surround... and there is even what appears to be a micro dwarf (bottom right photo). In the bottom right of the same photo, there is a volunteer peach/nectarine seedling :D

applestar
Mod

HBR (HaybaleRow)

- Planted the runty cauliflower and broccoli seedlings under the HBR insect tunnel (borax and tomato-tone)
- Will plant a row of tomatoes in front of them, plus the corn may supply some shade once they grow up some more

...also planted the 2KC Dwarf Chocolate Lightning next to the other one to share the cage.

SFH (Sunflower House)

- weeded and fertilized the three tiny corn patches (approx 15-18 plants @) — tomato-tone/iron-tone
- still need to hill — some of the corn are starting to lean over

SG (Spiral Garden)

...back pain issues is keeping me from weeding this area properly. The strawberries are struggling though managing to produce here and there under the weeds. ‘Winning” precious open spaces to plant cucurbits...

- cleared one arc and fertilized — thinking of actually using black landscape “cloth” on the mounded “row” to warm the soil for planting melons here. The fence trellises are from last year’s tomatoes, but if some of the vines manage to climb up, then will use slings to support the fruits.

applestar
Mod

VGC (Vegetable Garden C - mounded/raised bed)

- Planted stunted melon and watermelon seedlings started in a 6-pack cells (intended to plant them much much earlier) under the window supported with 3x1 gal plastic pots (borax and tomato-tone, iron-tone) ...May sow some backup seeds...

- Planted remainder of Veronica and Goliath just outside of the window-warmed area. (borax and tomato-tone)

- there was a variegated volunteer tomato seedling that I just HAD to keep 8)

applestar
Mod

Having mentioned this gadget in another thread —
Subject: Lawn dying
applestar wrote:...Use a siphon mixer/injector

— this is the kind I have, most often seen I think?
How Hozon™ Brass Siphon Mixers Work
https://hozon.com/how-hozon-works/
…I had the opportunity to review the instruction sheet, and realized I could be using mine in a different way 8)

So I watered the container plants with compost tumbler leacheate diluted with the Siphon Mixer :clap:

applestar
Mod

- Another view of the SFH corn patches — It might be too late, but I planted the #shrunken# seedlings in some available space and gaps left by the earlier nibbling rabbit.

- Planted the rest of tomatoes in remaining HBR space
...yes they are TOO close = do what I say, not what I do :roll: :lol: :kidding:

Cows Tit (2)
[- - - - - - - -]
Homer Fike’s
Yellow Oxheart (2)

Prudens Black~~~~~PaddyMC’s
PL lost label~~~~~~~Steelhead (PL?)

Opalka (2)~~~~~~~~Shimofuri F6 (3)
~~~~~~~(…Tunnel…)~Pineapple Pig (Appaloosa)
Opalka (2)~~~~~~~~Shimofuri F6 (2)

Dwf Chocolate
Lightning(2)~~~~~~~~Totem F1

Shimofuri F6~~~~~~~Brandywine Yellow

Pennheart
(kgolden’13) (2)~~~~~Yellow Dwarf
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~x Sungold F3
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~(CKinNC’15?)

Coyote~~~Coyote~~~Coyote?

applestar
Mod

...Over in the VEGETABLE GARDEN beds...

- Here are the Pink and Purple Mexican corn in VGB.PSRB (Vegetable Garden B - Pallet-sided Raised Bed)

...I planted eggplants in the tiny in-ground VGB space

- VGC and VGD.PSRB with extra tomato seedlings tucked in here and there

- VG.SIP (Vegetable Garden Sub-irrigated Planter) tomatoes are all variegated-foliage types (unID’d volunteers in the back, Shimofuri F6 seedlings from F5 plants with sprawling determinate growths in the center). The carrots are growing well and have been supplying baby carrot thinnings.
...under the window view in VGC — watermelon and melon seedlings
...and over in VGA — featuring Jack Ice crisphead lettuce which has been holding up well to the heat .... and do you see what else greeted me this morning? At first I thought it was a brown-colored branch that somehow had fallen into the bed :eek:

- More volunteer “finds” in VGA
... what looks like a multi-flora type
...another lovely variegated volunteer keeper
+++ and attaching a photo of one of the earliest started micro-dwarfs tomatoes with nearly ripe fruit (I’m pretty sure this is Pinocchio Orange...but it could be Aztek)

applestar
Mod

Recent harvest photo collage

...peas are almost done...raspberries are starting to come in :D
...the biggest baby carrots are Mokum F1 from VGA (sown as pre-germinated seeds on April 9)
...slender baby carrots are Yaya F1 from VG.SIP (sown as pre-germinated seeds on April 5)

applestar
Mod

applestar wrote:My SIL gave me a 1.5” cube box:

I recognized “seedbomb” so knew what to expect to find inside, but it was still kind of fun to see a single dry ball of clay, about the size of a large marble of average/small gumball.

I have so far gathered that it is a seedbomb of wildflowers... probably European native. I’m going to set aside a small flowerbed for it and lay the seedbomb in the center — maybe casually toss it in for full effect. :()

...I hope to identify the flowers as they grow...
I planted the seedbomb :-() ...I had to re-think my plans and gave it a small space within the rabbit-fenced veg garden since I keep seeing rabbits in the back yard inside the perimeter picket fence/gate.

applestar
Mod

I’m still coddling these stunted or late started peppers and tomatoes in the Garage V8 Nursery... just Uppotted some of them to the larger containers so they can go outside in a day or two.

FWIW — something nearly killed them and they were like sticks and stumps, but, in desperation, I gave them a feeding of plain gelatin dissolved in warm water (supposed to be extremely high nitrogen) and vermicompost tea. They managed to turn around.

applestar
Mod

Got the watermelon and melon seeds sown. I finally accepted that soil temperature maybe inadequate here for good melon production and decided to try a black mulch. Don’t know if common landscape mulch is good enough, but wasn’t ready to buy a roll of IR mulch when a roll of this was taking up space in the back of the shed since I vetoed its use for anything.

The mounded row was prepped by hoeing down the weeds and letting everything die down, then forked in some organic fertilizer (tree-tone and tomato-tone), Dolomitic lime, and a sprinkling of borax, then raked smooth.

Covered with the landscape mulch, then cut holes and half buried bottomless (cut off) 1 gallon plastic nursery pots, then hand forked more tree-tone, topped the pots with vermicast and organic potting mix, watered in, then sowed seeds - around 5 @ for later culling/selection of best. — the bottomless pot for starting seeds worked well for squash several years ago

- the plan is to manage the vines to direct the watermelons along the outer perimeter, while allowing the melon vines to move into the interior across the path (manage so I can still walk) as well as allow them to climb the trellis if they are so inclined — fruits will be supported with slings.

...by sheer accident, the inner swale/path, where the compost bin that is occupying the center of the Spiral Garden leaches out to, has a secret drainage (probably previous chipmunk/mole/field mice tunnel) to the outer swale/path immediately in front of the melon arc. See the water-filled boot print where there was extra water from yesterday’s rain?

NE garden

Left (north) to Right (South) :
- Espalier Fence Row
- HaybaleRow
- Sunflower House
- Spiral Garden

applestar
Mod

STEVIA — This happens every year - I should be used to it by now....

In my area Stevia plant is not winter hardy, but it’s a plant that is generally listed as hardy to Zone 9 or winter low temperature of 20°F (winter low can get down to negative single digits here in Zone 6b).

I mentioned something about that elsewhere recently —

Subject: Frost And Sprouting Stevia Seeds?
applestar wrote:According to my “seasonal container plants lowest temperature notes”, Stevia is roughly hardy to usda zone 9 (20) ~ 11 (40). Number in parenthesis is minimum winter temperature in °F. That means Stevia seeds would normally withstand winter frost and probably require certain amount of cold period (stratification) for optimum germination. In other words, the light frost shouldn’t be harmful and might even be beneficial.

Don’t expect the seeds to sprout until it gets warmer though, since the plant itself is frost-killed. Once mature, established roots/crown will survive the cold and new growth will start from soil-level in spring. My notes reminds me to bring in Stevia above 45°F (Don’t leave/put outside).

That said, Stevia is notoriously difficult to germinate, or so I’ve heard. My attempts to grow from my own saved fresh seeds have not been successful, and like most this type of seeds (seed with a puff/tuft of the end ... like lettuce seeds) they don’t remain viable for very long.

Also, FYI, I have heard that levels of sweetness and characteristic bitterness is variable, so it’s best to obtain cutting grown clone of known/best flavor plants. I didn’t do that but did buy my first plant from a reputable nursery, and have been growing backup cutting-grown plants ever since. There are also some that say sweetness depends on how you process the harvested plant material.

Good luck.

Although it is possible to over-winter Stevia in the house, it wants cooler than average indoor house temperature and needs to be situated carefully. In the warm dry heated indoor environment, they are prone to red or other spider mites.

I have read that it’s best to let the Stevia actually go dormant for longevity of the plant, similar to Lemon Verbena, along with Rosemary. All three of them have similar wintering requirements, although Stevia is a perennial and dies back to the ground, Lemon Verbena is more like a deciduous shrub, and Rosemary is evergreen.

I keep my Stevia in my garage and put the pot in the “Garage Siberia” — closest to the outer door — once the leaves and stems start to dry up. Then it’s watered every so often, just enough so the potting mix doesn’t dry out completely. It will experience freezing temps down to mid 20’s and close to 20.

In the spring, it always, ALWAYS, takes a long time to start growing new shoots from the roots, below the potting mix. Previous year’s growths will be all dead sticks by this time and can/should be cut down as close to the soil level as possible BEFORE the new shoots grow too big.

This year, I brought the pot out in front of the garage doors in March after the spring thaw, then waited while all other winter survivors were moved out of the garage and onto the backyard to acclimate for the season.

The spring sun moved further and further west and north of west until the setting sun started to beat against the garage doors, but still nothing but weeds came up out of the pot and I had just about given up.

Then this Wednesday, after an outing, I looked in the pot with some disappointment, thinking to declare it dead and recover/recycle/compost the potting mix, and recognized 4 new Stevia shoots among the weeds.
...Stevia pot, moved to the patio and all cleaned up. More new shoots were hiding/growing under the weeds. It still needs the potting mix freshened and fertilized.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

I stopped growing Stevia as I was not using it. I did get rosemary to overwinter a few years back, I placed a fluorescent light up against the stem, covered most of the bottom of the plant with leaves and covered in a lap blanket (something that breathes). I may try that again this winter.
How did you make out with the espalier tree.
I'm starting my espalier Pear tree in a few weeks or maybe this weekend if I have time.

applestar
Mod

I have two pears, an apple, and a persimmon along that Espalier Fence Row (approx. 40 feet IIRC).
I lost one apple tree in the group (Pristine) that really snowy winter a couple of years back when something - likely voles, maybe chipmunks - got past the trunk guard and gnawed/girdled it. Have been looking for a replacement cultivar, but the remaining apple (Arkansas Black) has been managing to set fruits from some other pollinizer source. (This year, something is wrong and I only see a couple of fruits, however)

The Magness and Seckel pear trees have been difficult due to a number of issues and have only yielded 3-8 fruits or less each year.

I have been lax about maintaining the styling/pruning (mainly health issues during the critical late winter and mid summer timeframe) and they all really need serious re-styling… including the Prok persimmon which needs the runaway leader chopped off — Prok is laden with baby green fruits and I’m probably going to end up cutting off a loaded limb.

I’m adding two Beach Plums to the Espalier Fence Row and styling them into fan espalier.

I need to start getting the American Hazel on the other side under control. The other side — designated “Edible Landscaping Front Yard Fence Row” — is a broad long bed with series of native wild forage — wild lowbush blueberries, American hazel, wild strawberries, a pair of seedling (not grafted cultivar) pawpaws, and elderberry. It technically curves into an L at the end of the property, with a circular bed of Sunchokes that DH keeps within bounds by mowing around them.

…it’s possible that between the persimmon and elderberry pressure, the apple tree has been losing ground since it IS on a dwarfing stock and probably doesn’t have as much root vigor.

applestar
Mod

Carrot thinnings are getting bigger ...and first gumball-sized baby Tonda di Parigi carrot :D

ETA — DD2 said it has STRONG carrot flavor ...couldn’t tell if it was sweet because of the strong flavor ... but “It’s good... I guess it’s sweet” (comparing to Mokum and Yaya)
Last edited by applestar on Sun Jun 09, 2019 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added Dd2’s flavor review of first tasting TdP

applestar
Mod

Starting to see tiny green babies :mrgreen:
ImageImage

applestar
Mod

SQWIB wrote:I stopped growing Stevia as I was not using it.
Overall, I find it easiest to use Stevia leaves by drying and adding to looseleaf herbal tea blends. It add’s just that touch of sweetness that is pleasant on first sip.

Since I read that the stems contain as much or even more sweetening substance, I put the dried sprigs in larger ziplock bag, then pull the stalks out, leaving the crumbled leaves in the bag... then pack the stalks in a jar and fill with vodka or rum to make tincture. I wash and re-use brown glass tincture bottles with droppers, and use the tincture in coffee — one squirt — usually in combination with honey. I recently also made home-made toasted hazelnut extract/tincture that I mixed with the Stevia tincture for making hazelnut flavored coffee. (I have also made hazelnut flavored coffee in the past by toasting/roasting and grinding with coffee beans....)

I also read somewhere (can’t find the notes atm) that Stevia stalks can/should be fermented ...kind of like black tea leaves... which crystallize the sweetening substance, concentrating it while removing the slightly bitter aftertaste, but have not tried that yet.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

You may think that I have great experience with Stevia :wink: . I Don't.

My experience with using green is that it tastes " green. " Dry, it tastes sweet with very little additional flavor.

Rum flavor, highly sweetened with Stevia in my afternoon coffee ... what a concept!

Steve :D

applestar
Mod

It’s a 1 ml eye dropper-full @digitS’ — approx. 20 drops. :lol:

applestar
Mod

Until I get the blackberry canes sorted out, I can’t get any closer, but I saw — through the jumbled blackberries and already massive Purple Passion asparagus fronds —that my yellow Asiatic lilies had started blooming ...in HUGE FLORAL CLUSTERS!

These had been planted in a mixed color group of I believe 5 or 6 bulbs, but they rapidly shrunk and disappeared over several years ...and I realized when they started re-appearing as tiny non-blooming plants that something was eating the bulbs and scattering the bulb scales. Only the yellow eventually came back — two feet from where they were originally planted — but this is the biggest floral clusters I have seen yet.

COINCIDENTALLY, I have NOT seen a single chipmunk this season (maybe the snake, maybe the stray cats that my neighbor feeds)

- The bottom photo is the native American Turk’s Cap Lily (Lilium Superbum) — so dainty and beautiful

applestar
Mod

Last year, I didn’t get to plant the started rice seedlings in my little raingarden rice paddy — it sat ... let’s say “fallow”..... Last year, I also started a whole bunch of speciality/novelty corn in large drinking cups for selling at a market stand... they didn’t sell... and I ended up letting them get overgrown, stunted, and eventually dead.

...This spring, I didn’t get to plant rice again, didn’t even start them this time, and I had some overgrown extra/leftover/back up corn starts. Not to make the same disappointing mistake again, I went ahead and PLANTED THE EXTRA CORN IN THE RICE PADDY. :>

- I was able to plant all of my Applestar’s #SWEET# Medley 2019, and also squeezed in Latte Bicolor. Luther didn’t fit. :roll:

My reasoning for planting corn here is that corn seems to be often grown in flood-prone regions and they seem to be able to recover from flooding. The spacing is tight, but they will likely not have to want for water. I’ll see if keeping them fed with extra nutes will be enough. At least they are in a densely planted square so pollination shouldn’t be a problem.

applestar
Mod

2019 Main garden areas — update as of 6/13/19

- VG beds (A, B, B.PSRB, C, D.PSRB, SIP)
- Raingarden CORN (after 1.5” of rain this morning...added some Iron-tone, Epsom Salts (magnesium and sulfur) ...a little bit of Mira-acid because I needed to fertilize the blueberries with something and that’s all I had — it does have a lot of micronutrients in it)

- Eggplants in VGB have settled in
- Hari g2 (2), Orient Express g2 (2), Hari g2 (2)

- HaybaleRow and a partial view of SunflowerHouse
- potatoes have come up (Planted sprouted store bought organic pink skin white flesh wax potatoes, yellow potatoes, and fingering potatoes from the pantry)

- melons sprouted in SpiralGarden

- weeded the carrots and fertilized in the KitchenGarden (Tonda di Parigi in the area to the right ...can’t remember if I also Sowed TdP in the left area or if I Sowed a different kind... maybe Danvers Halflong126?)
...as you can see, I just pile all the pulled weeds in the path and trample them down.

applestar
Mod

Container Garden in addition to the VG.SIP

- Kitchen Garden Patio (KGP) ...starting to cull non-productive or pest-ridden plants and replacing with summer season producers

- Planted Yellow Giant Bell pepper; Monomakh’s Hat, Terhune, and Wessel’s Purple Pride tomatoes in the SIP1 and Fish (SuperVar) pepper in the Earthbox, along with some Lettuce-leaf and Petra basils

- Planted Bassett’s Bleen and Champagne Cherry tomatoes in the SIP2

- also Planted Pasilla Basio, Doux Long d’Antibes, and Pale Rider peppers in a big black nursery pot, and a DK Snacker pepper in a white square 2.5 gal

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”