imafan26
Mod

Pitaya bloomed--and I just missed it

My pitaya (dragon fruit) bloomed probably yesterday morning and I just missed it. This was the first bloom on this 5 year old plant.
Attachments
5 flowers bloomed on the same night. If took about 10 days for the bud to bloom from the time it appeared on the stem.  The plant is about 10 ft long
5 flowers bloomed on the same night. If took about 10 days for the bud to bloom from the time it appeared on the stem. The plant is about 10 ft long

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I'm getting a couple a week right now on mine and they sure don't last long.

applestar
Mod

10 ft long! I guess that rules dragonfruit out for me. :roll: :lol:
Bummer you missed the full bloom, but now you get to wait for the fruits? Do you have to protect them?

imafan26
Mod

I don't know if they got pollinated. I guess I will have to wait to see if the fruit develops. It is supposed to bloom in 3 years, but kept cutting the plant because it liked to go through the fence into the neighbor's yard so it never got very long. This branch decided to go through the fence of the dog pen over the dog house and that is the only reason it got so long. I think I got 6 blooms and they all bloomed on the same night. The blooms only last one night. They close up in the morning as soon as the sun touches them.

imafan26
Mod

Well the flowers fell off with the fruit, so it was not pollinated. I did not think it would. It has been raining almost every night for a week. Pollinators don't forage in the rain.

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”