funonahonda
Newly Registered

Moving newly planted Rhubarb plants

I just planted two rhubarb plants on the 9th of this month, after I planted them in my garden I tilled a new area in my yard for a rhubarb patch, would it hurt the plants moving them?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I did the same thing last year I moved my plants about 3 weeks later. It is better to more them now than move them later. Move them 1 or 2 hours before dark then water them they be fine.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I learned something interesting about Rhubarb, sun light makes Rhubarb turn green and become toxic just like sun light turns potatoes green and they become toxic.

Cut several pieces of 4" diameter PVC pipe 24" to 30" long. Spring time when you see Rhubarb plants starting to come up put a PVC pipe over each plant. Put a steak in the ground to hold the pipe straight up so it will not fall over. Set a PVC pipe cap on top to keep out sunlight. Rhubarb that grows in the dark will be blood red, sweet, & not have the toxic flavor. Leaves will not grow inside the pipe you get 2 ft long stalks with a tiny leaf. Remove cap once a week to look at stalks when stalks are 24" long time to harvest them. Do not cut Rhubarb stalks just pull straight out it will snap & stalks come off. Pull all the red stalks from each plant then remove the PVC pipe let the plant grow new leaves. Red Rhubarb taste like cherry pie cherries.

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”