PraticalGardener
Cool Member
Location: Potomac Highlands region, West Virginia, USA (Zone 6a?)

My 2 rows

I have two rows out my family's garden. My rows are about 36 feet long, with about 29" between them.
Country Gentleman Corn, from this morning.
Country Gentleman Corn, from this morning.

I'm hoping that the Country Gentleman corn will be abit sweeter than the Golden Bantam corn.
Wando Peas and Pink Snapdragon flower, from this morning.
Wando Peas and Pink Snapdragon flower, from this morning.
I am playing around with the weeds I already have, to see if I can create a bit of groundcover along the trellis.
Rattlesnake String Beans and 2 Luffa Gourd vines, during one evening a few days ago.
Rattlesnake String Beans and 2 Luffa Gourd vines, during one evening a few days ago.
I transplanted a total of 4 Luffa Gourds, the 2 that survived were smaller and both transplanted sooner. The 2 I attempted to transplant later withered up and died. I don't know why, perhaps the particularly rainy weather didn't help.

PraticalGardener
Cool Member

My 2 rows at the end of the garden.
My 2 rows at the end of the garden.
Feel free to ignore the barn and the tarp-covered rows of hay in the background. :D
The left clump of leaves in the background is the grape arbor and some trees. Some of the family sunflowers and peas are peeking out from behind my corn row. :)
Country Gentleman corn with an abundance of Lady's Thumb (a weed) underneath
Country Gentleman corn with an abundance of Lady's Thumb (a weed) underneath
I favored the Lady's Thumb weed over the grass, thistles, and a few other weeds. There were times I weeded out some of the Lady's Thumb because it was growing tall enough to shade the corn. The kitten managed to sneak into the picture. :lol:
Left to right on trellis: Wando Peas, Luffa Gourds, Rattlesnake String Beans
Left to right on trellis: Wando Peas, Luffa Gourds, Rattlesnake String Beans
Luffa Gourd flowers
Luffa Gourd flowers
Wando peas flowering
Wando peas flowering
Rattlesnake String Beans
Rattlesnake String Beans
Part of trellis, with pink Snapdragon in bloom.
Part of trellis, with pink Snapdragon in bloom.
In the picture above, there is the Wando peas on the trellis. The 'living mulch' of weeds includes English Plantain, a flowering Queen Anne's Lace, Mouse-Eared Chickweed, Dandelions, White Clover, Ground Ivy, and a Lamb's Quarter. I weed out the Lamb's Quarter when I decide it is too tall.
Patch Ground Ivy, with White Clover, with a dandelion on right, and a Lady's Thumb in the lower right corner
Patch Ground Ivy, with White Clover, with a dandelion on right, and a Lady's Thumb in the lower right corner
To my limited understanding, Ground Ivy actually needs some shade, the leaves became yellow when it was getting too much sunlight. The Ground Ivy seems to be my ideal 'living mulch' out of the weeds I already have, provided I first give the vegetables a weed-free place to become established. Ground Ivy easily spreads and grows into a thick matt, and stays relatively short. I like how the White Clover pokes out through the Ground Ivy.

In hindsight, all these weeds is why you don't want to mulch with hay that has already gone to seed, even if it was moldy hay or was previously livestock bedding. Unless you and all of the gardeners thereafter are willing mulch deep with it every year afterwards or weed it all. :roll: Prevention is much easier, and probably a timesaver besides.

PraticalGardener
Cool Member

The winds with the thunderstorm knocked down some of my Country Gentleman corn. The trellis supported the section of corn row alongside it. I finally finished propping the corn up again, with a few t-posts and some spare baler twine; to make it easier to harvest the corn. The rest of the garden is fine overall.
Side view
Side view
Front view
Front view

imafan26
Mod

Golden bantam is an easy corn to grow but it is not sweet. I know you have rows, but corn should be planted in a block instead for better pollination.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Everything looks great, will that corn bounce back?

PraticalGardener
Cool Member

Thank-you imafan26. Hopefully I will plant the corn in more of a block next year.

Thank-you SQUIB. I think the corn will be alright, the roots appeared to be intact. I have propped it up with a t-post at each end of the rows and some spare baler twine. I also propped up the larger individual corn plants with substantial rocks as needed.
Tied and propped the corn back up again.
Tied and propped the corn back up again.

I may try some things differently next year though. I normally don't hill the corn, but perhaps I will try it next time with some of this corn. I could also try to support it more before the stronger winds next time.

applestar
Mod

I think hilling them helps them to grow the second tier *buttress* roots into the ground without having them dry up. Also, I’ve noticed that with good timing, you can bury the tips of folded/trailing down first couple of leaves as you hill, which acts as guy-lines.

imafan26
Mod

Sometimes when it is windy, mine fall too. I have been able to stake them up. In strong winds most of them will go down. I did put stakes around my perimeter one year and used two string lines around the perimeter and parallel lines between the rows about 3 ft up to stabilize them. Some of the tops snapped in the stronger wind, but in moderate winds they were able to stay standing.

PraticalGardener
Cool Member

Thank-you for everyone for all of your advice so far. In the meantime, here are some pictures and perhaps a few of my experiences along the way:
More male luffa gourd flowers
More male luffa gourd flowers
My first Luffa Gourd, 9 1/4" long
My first Luffa Gourd, 9 1/4" long
I put a zip tie on to mark that I hand-pollinated it with one of the male flowers. The rectangular in the panel measures 6"x8".
Shorter luffa gourd.jpg
More recently hand-pollinated luffa gourd
More recently hand-pollinated luffa gourd
The flower is wilting and also held closed with a zip-tie. So far, I have a total of 6 Luffa gourds between the two plants.
Country Gentleman Corn dark red corn silks
Country Gentleman Corn dark red corn silks
This is a change for me, my family's Golden Bantam corn has pale corn silks.
Morning Glory (vigorous climbing weed)
Morning Glory (vigorous climbing weed)
I don't let morning glories grow up my corn plants anymore, but I occasionally allow them to grow up a sunflower. How can a weed be so pretty? :roll:
Patch of white clover in yard.
Patch of white clover in yard.
Bouncing Betty/Soapwart (Saponara officinalis)
Bouncing Betty/Soapwart (Saponara officinalis)
I transplanted this for fun, but one of them finally bloomed.

PraticalGardener
Cool Member

Back of female Luffa Gourd flower, about 2 weeks ago
Back of female Luffa Gourd flower, about 2 weeks ago
My first Luffa Gourd, on the left side.
My first Luffa Gourd, on the left side.
I removed all of the zip ties.
3 Luffa Gourds
3 Luffa Gourds
My Wando pea plants are dying down, so I will let the pea plants go to seed.
Luffa Gourds
Luffa Gourds
Tassel of The Country Gentleman Corn
Tassel of The Country Gentleman Corn
The red color anywhere on the tassel was new to me, compared to my family's usual Golden Bantam corn with plain tassels.

PraticalGardener
Cool Member

I harvested the Country Gentleman corn in late August. I missed the best time to harvest some of the shorter ears, but I have the majority of it picked and in the freezer.

The corn tastes different compared to the Golden Bantam corn I usually eat, but still passes the taste test. :mrgreen: When compared to the Golden Bantam corn, the Country Gentleman corn had thicker corn cobs, smaller corn kernels, no worse corn earworm damage by comparison, and the Country Gentleman corn plants had more tillers/suckers. Both varieties of corn consistently produced two mature ears of corn per plant.

My 'living mulch' of weeds is almost entirely Lady's Thumb now, I think the Ground Ivy was shaded out due to the corn plants and the Lady's Thumb. I completely neglected to manage it since my last post, since all my vegetables were tall enough to thrive.

PraticalGardener
Cool Member

I harvested nearly all of my Luffa Gourds on last Friday, but only used 2 of them as sponges. Most were not fully matured as sponges, and a few seemed to be possibly just starting to rot from the inside. I'm not certain since it is my first time growing them, but perhaps it was due to the previous night's low temperature of 44 degrees Fahrenheit.
Luffa Gourds just prior to harvest
Luffa Gourds just prior to harvest
resized Oct luffa gourd prior to harvest.jpg (139.56 KiB) Viewed 10523 times
Below is how I ended up harvesting and processing the gourds, or the attempt thereof, partly because I am learning by doing:
Use heavy-duty scissors to cut them off from the vines, harvested green due to a shorter growing season
Slap the gourds against a flat section of concrete to attempt to separate the sponges from the skins, I also consistently would break loose the bit of skin at the blossom end of the gourd, giving me a hole at the end of the Luffa Gourd's skin
Pull down the thick strings if available, then theoretically work downwards underneath the skin, then peel away and off the green skin
Rinse the Luffa gourd, but be careful not to lose the seeds, again :roll:
Bring them inside, cut the fibers/sponges into slices on the cutting board
With the slices and the ends, squeeze/slide the seeds out of their 'pockets' and put them into a strainer to rinse. Then rub and rinse thoroughly until all of the 'flesh' on the inside surfaces of the sponge are gone
Bleach dip the luffa gourd sponges and pieces, 4Tablespoons of bleach per 1Gallon of water
Set on a spare bedsheet to dry outside in the sunlight.
Spread out seeds to dry on paper towels or on plastic canvas.
Sponges from 2 Luffa Gourds
Sponges from 2 Luffa Gourds
resized 2 Luffa Gourds in sponges again.jpg (128.73 KiB) Viewed 10523 times

imafan26
Mod

We actually eat the young luffa gourds. There is a smooth and an angular luffa. It's other name is Chinese okra. It is used in soups and stir fries and like okra it is a little slimy. Gourds are usually eaten when they are 6-8 inches long. It can be eaten when over a foot, but then there would be too many for the soup.

PraticalGardener
Cool Member

Found this as I was cleaning up the garden. I am hoping it is a praying mantis nest. I saw a praying mantis near my cattle panel trellis late this year.
Hopefully a praying mantis nest
resized praying mantis nesta.jpg (95.47 KiB) Viewed 10480 times
resized praying mantis nestb.jpg (154.2 KiB) Viewed 10480 times
resized praying mantis nestc.jpg (153.66 KiB) Viewed 10480 times

applestar
Mod

Yep it’s an ootheca — egg casing made of frothy mass to protect the embedded eggs. The adults die but the eggs will survive the winter as long as they are not discovered by rodents or birds, and will start hatching when the temperatures reach high 70’s to 80’s in late spring.

PraticalGardener
Cool Member

Chickweed in bloom
Chickweed in bloom
resized chickweed in bloom.jpg (116.5 KiB) Viewed 10363 times
Chickweed growing
Chickweed growing
resized chickweed growth.jpg (172 KiB) Viewed 10363 times
The chickweed stems all spread out from the main root in the center. To my observation, it seems to be the first weed to grow in the garden.
Soapwart (Saponara officinalis) grew back
Soapwart (Saponara officinalis) grew back
resized 500pixels soapwart grew back from my row.jpg (154.26 KiB) Viewed 10363 times
This was the same place as I transplanted 3 Soapwart plants last year in the end of one of my rows.

applestar
Mod

Chickweed is supposed to indicate a certain amount of soil fertility. I want to make a skin salve and keep looking, but all I’m finding so far are mouse-eared ones. What Chickweed there are, are still tiny. I did harvest violets.

I tried to grow some soapwort (from seeds) but have not been successful....

PraticalGardener
Cool Member

Thanks applestar, it's nice to know that one can use chickweed as an indicator towards the soil's fertility. :)

I guess I got the soapwart the easy way. The soapwart was already locally established and even helped itself to some of the flat (low-maintenance) flower beds. :roll: The soapwort grew in full sun or part shade, mostly in the southern flowerbed and a bit in the western flowerbed of the house.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Chickweed is the commonest weed in my garden in spring. It is a spring ephemeral and will all be gone by mid summer. It is named that because the chickens love it. It is very nutritious, with lots of B and C vitamins, calcium and other minerals. I put it in spring salads. It is reputed to have medicinal values as well.

PraticalGardener
Cool Member

Thanks rainbowgardener, it's nice to know how chickweed was named, as well as that it can be fed to hungry chickens. :)

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Lots of people around here pick chickweed to eat like salad. It tastes good with honey mustard salad dressing. Free salad no planting required. When I lived in town it grew every where, now we live in the country and I never see it. When I lived in Arizona Mexican people picked chickweed to eat.

PraticalGardener
Cool Member

Thank-you, it's good to know that chickweed is edible. :)

PraticalGardener
Cool Member

The garden, or rather the thick silage 'mulch' on top, was tilled. Normally we don't add old silage but since it was spoiled anyways, we put a 'little' of it on the garden for all the 'organic matter'.
I marked my 'wide row' with wooden stakes at the opposite end of the garden from last year. My 'wide row' is marked about 20" wide and down to 30 feet long. The walking path is about 30" wide. I recommend wearing gloves when you hammer in wooden stakes, since I've already 'learned the hard way' from splinters. :roll:
The 'trellis' is part of a 'cattle panel', which I put on top of 3 rocks simply to prevent it from making direct soil contact, to slow down potential rust. The rectangles at the very bottom of this 'cattle panel' trellis measures 4"x8" and the larger holes measure 6"x8". The trellis is tied onto metals t-posts with some spare baler twine.

Transplanted Soapwart volunteers and violet, viewed from the end of the 'wide row'.
Transplanted Soapwart volunteers and violet, viewed from the end of the 'wide row'.
Resized soapwart at end of row 500pixels.jpg (164.97 KiB) Viewed 10289 times
I transplanted my soapwort volunteers as two groups adjacent to the end of my new 'wide garden row'. There was also a violet that I happened to transplant again. The tomato cage is merely to remind everyone, including myself, not to walk on top of my 'wide row' again. :roll: I piled up some of the recently mowed grass clippings at both ends of my 'wide row', to prevent the weeds from getting established there temporarily.

Trellis and tomato cages for peas, after watering
Trellis and tomato cages for peas, after watering
Resized trellis for peas, after watering 500pixels.jpg (131.33 KiB) Viewed 10289 times
Trellis left to right: A few Tall Telephone Peas, mostly Wando Peas.<br />3Tomato Cages left to right: 1st Tom Thumb Peas, 2nd and 3rd are Wando Peas.
Trellis left to right: A few Tall Telephone Peas, mostly Wando Peas.
3Tomato Cages left to right: 1st Tom Thumb Peas, 2nd and 3rd are Wando Peas.
Resized trellis and tomatoe cages for peas 500pixels.jpg (141.71 KiB) Viewed 10289 times
1st Tomato cage of Tom Thumb Peas
1st Tomato cage of Tom Thumb Peas
Resized Tom Thumb Peas sprouting 500pixels.jpg (198.82 KiB) Viewed 10289 times
I scraped off the 'mulch' and planted peas on April 20th, my thumbnail deep. Since I decided to use last year's pea seeds, I sowed them more thickly then usual. Partly due to the 'mulch' I was planting into heavy mud, so I didn't water as I usually do when initially sowing seeds. I have watered them on May 2nd, when the topsoil was dry and my Wando peas were first poking through.

PraticalGardener
Cool Member

We think the lilac had its main bloom. Using the main lilac bloom is how I learned when to plant most things that don't tolerate frost as much. One of my family members tried using 'the oak leaves the size of a squirrels ear', but found it varied between individual trees; then realized our favorite lilac was the same timing as the average of the oak tree leaves of about the size of a squirrel's ear. :) It is possible to have a very late surprise frost, even when going by the main lilac bloom to plant seeds.

From left to right, facing East, the 'wide row' is basically planted as: corn, snapdragon flowers, peas, a tomato, transplanted volunteer potatoes, flax, and soapwart.
Corn planting arrangement I am 'playing around with'
Corn planting arrangement I am 'playing around with'
Corn planting arrangement to try resized.jpg (142.3 KiB) Viewed 10261 times
On May 9th, I planted my Country Gentleman Corn again, but in a different arrangement. I wanted to try this way at least once. I used spare baler twine to ensure that the center 'rows' of the 'groups' are in a straight line, this time.:roll: In this picture, the center 'row' is for 3 corn plants, then the outside 'rows' are for 2 corn plants, both offset from the center 'row'. The center rock and sticks to mark the corn plants are spaced 1ft apart from eachother, whereas I set the 'walking space' 2 1/2ft wide. I made some variations to some of the other 'groups' of corn. I decided to plant some old Mammoth sunflower seeds along the back left 'corner' of the patches, partly because these sunflowers might grow to be taller than the corn, if they grow at all.
Snapdragons in bloom in a pretty raised bed to find easily.
Snapdragons in bloom in a pretty raised bed to find easily.
Trailing Snapdragons 2019 resized.jpg (211.69 KiB) Viewed 10261 times
I also planted some 'Candy Showers Deep Purple' Trailing Snapdragons in a 'raised bed', simply to help make them easier to find. The downside is by doing so, I also have to water them more frequently than at ground level, but less frequently than in a container.

I watered my peas and soapwart three times since my last post, to try to keep the peas in moist soil between the rains. I transplanted some 'mutt' sunflowers to partially shade the pea plants on the trellis and on the tomato cages. Since I didn't see more than one Wando pea sprout on the trellis, I replanted with this years Wando seeds on May 15th. I think the problem was that I didn't 'till' the soil to loosen it prior to planting peas the first time, based on an after-the-fact germination test with last year's pea seeds.
'Sweet 100' red cherry Tomato
'Sweet 100' red cherry Tomato
Sweet 100 red Cherry Tomato resized.jpg (134.5 KiB) Viewed 10261 times
I added a spare tomato plant to my 'pea trellis', partly to see if I like their taste. I am copying what one of my family members does by (later) tying this tomato plant up to the cattle panel 'trellis'.
Flax (Linum ustatissimum) sprouted
Flax (Linum ustatissimum) sprouted
Flax sprouted resized.jpg (186.39 KiB) Viewed 10261 times
I sowed my flax on May 9th, next to the Soapwart. I am hoping to let some of it go to seed, and if I am energetic, I might try to process it for the fibers. This (Linum usitatissimum) Flax is the same kind as used for linen cloth. Due to the lack of information on how to plant flax, I decided to fall back on how I eventually successfully grew carrots from seed. In my case it may simply be a case of discovering what 'my knack' is that works for me. I 'tilled' and leveled out the soil as best as I could, then simply scattered the seeds on top of the soil. I gently pressed the seeds onto the soil's surface with my hand. Then I took a one-ply layer of a paper towel and laid them on top, making sure to weigh them down with rocks this time.:roll: Around May 15th, I have lots of flax sprouting. :mrgreen: I covered them somewhat, as a precaution to prevent the birds from eating the seeds and sprouts.
End of 'wide row'
End of 'wide row'
2019 end of 'wide row'.jpg (150.73 KiB) Viewed 10261 times
I have 3 volunteer potato plants I transplanted in, they are either white or red potatoes. I still had even more room left over, so from right to left I tried sowing old seeds of tall snapdragons, old seeds of zinnas, and last years Wando pea seeds on yet another tomato cage. You can see how I attempted to protect most of the flax seeds and sprouts from birds with a spare upside-down wire mesh waste basket. The thing in the middle of the picture is a weathered Luffa gourd sponge that 'skinned out' but didn't intend to keep last year.

applestar
Mod

You got a lot going! I had to chuckle about the trees not sticking to squirrel ear size standard. :lol:

I wanted to try cattle panels but gave up due to logistics for transporting the long panels, and ouchie prices of the shorter panels which were also rather rare in this area. Bummer because there are other cattle panel projects that look interesting. I use the easier obtained concrete mesh flat panels secured about a foot up off the ground on t-posts. The young plants get supported with Fiberglas electric fence poles until they are tall enough, then poles are removed to be used elsewhere.

I’m looking forward to reading about your flax project :-()

PraticalGardener
Cool Member

I have to agree applestar, it was something I hadn't really thought about until I was told about the oak leaves too.:roll: I am also looking forwards to the flax. I think it will be fun, both to grow and to see how much work it is to process. :)

Admittedly, having access to a large trailer comes in handy for transporting cattle panels. I glad you shared about the (galvanized) concrete mesh panels, I didn't know there were any other sturdy premade alternatives. I enjoyed learning about intentionally setting the trellis up even higher, I might try it sometime. :D

PraticalGardener
Cool Member

Transplanted volunteer 'mystery vines' and volunteer 'mutt' sunflower
Transplanted volunteer 'mystery vines' and volunteer 'mutt' sunflower
volunteer myster vines transplanted 5-2019.jpg (200.06 KiB) Viewed 10216 times
Transplanted some more volunteer 'mutt' sunflowers and some volunteer 'mystery vines' (possibly luffa gourd or cucumber plants) to the very end of the garden, alongside my 'wide row'.
Country Gentleman Corn sprout 5-24-2019
Country Gentleman Corn sprout 5-24-2019
resized Country Gentleman corn sprout 5-24-2019.jpg (157.74 KiB) Viewed 10216 times
I have one Country Gentleman corn sprout.

The good news is that my other older Wando peas are finally sprouting. :D
I now have 8 Wando pea sprouts so far on the cattle panel 'trellis', and 6 Wando pea sprouts along the tomato cages. I planted a few of the germinated Wando pea seeds on the last tomato cage. In hindsight I probably did not have to replant the pea seeds after all, but I also didn't want to wait too long. I can plant them during summer, but that would also mean that I would have to water them frequently.
Tall Telephone Pea on trellis, Tom Thumb Peas on tomato cage.
Tall Telephone Pea on trellis, Tom Thumb Peas on tomato cage.
Pea sprouts 5-23-2019.jpg (126.36 KiB) Viewed 10216 times
The Tall Telephone Pea is about 5" tall, and the Tom Thumb peas range from 1-3" tall. The weed towards the right with heart-shaped leaves on the trellis is probably a Morning Glory, which I might allow to grow if no peas grow there. I will have to weed out the patch of grass that is growing at the tomato cage.
Tiny black pest, eats several tiny holes in leaves.
Tiny black pest, eats several tiny holes in leaves.
Potato and leafhopper with dmg resized.jpg (111.98 KiB) Viewed 10216 times
Several of these little black pests eat these pinholes in potato leaves. They hop very well, so they are difficult to catch, to the point it is basically a game of luck. All three of my volunteer potato plants have these pinholes in them.
Flax sprouts on 5-24-2019
Flax sprouts on 5-24-2019
Flax resized 5-24-2019.jpg (180.58 KiB) Viewed 10216 times

PraticalGardener
Cool Member

On May 31st, I transplanted some 'mutt sunflowers'. Since I only have two sprouted corn plants, I soaked some corn seeds for an hour (I forgot to start it sooner, and it was my first time to soak seeds) and planted them.
Other than some pea seedlings getting eaten, as though bitten off, the garden seems to be doing well overall.
Tall Telephone (on trellis) and Tom Thumb Peas (on tomato cage)
Tall Telephone (on trellis) and Tom Thumb Peas (on tomato cage)
Tall Telephone and Tom Thumb pea resized.jpg (163.39 KiB) Viewed 10175 times
Some of the Tom Thumb peas have white blossoms developing, and I now have at least one pea pod. I tied the Tall Telephone pea loosely to the trellis to help it get started on grabbing onto the trellis.
Wando Peas on tomato cage
Wando Peas on tomato cage
Wando peas on 'cattle panel' trellis
Wando peas on 'cattle panel' trellis
I weed out grass on sight when big enough to weed out by my bare hand. I am leaving some of the 'Lady's Thumb' (a weed) and volunteer sunflowers temporarily, to shade the ground abit, if they don't interfere with the veggie plants I intend to nurture.

I seem to be doing a fine job of what not to do here. :roll: Basically my conclusion so far is that too much of the 'fresh' silage 'mulch' was not initially helpful for some crops in the garden, probably by leading to a nitrogen deficiency while it is still decomposing. One of the two corn sprouts was yellow for a while now, and the transplanted volunteer 'mystery vines' are starting to yellow.
Tomato plant recovered
Tomato plant recovered
Tomato plant resized.jpg (192.29 KiB) Viewed 10175 times
The tomato had yellowed severely, but it evidently recovered.
Flax growing taller
Flax growing taller
The flax seems to be doing very well.
I watered the flax, tomato plant, and transplanted 'mutt' sunflowers twice since May 31st.
Soapwart growing taller
Soapwart growing taller
Soapwart and lawn resized 6-5-2019.jpg (183.73 KiB) Viewed 10175 times
Don't mind the upper left corner in the picture too much, that's the lawn (or rather the garden weeds in the meantime) reclaiming the downsized garden space. :cry: :roll:

PraticalGardener
Cool Member

Bright orange egg cluster of potato pest Colorado Potato Beetle
Bright orange egg cluster of potato pest Colorado Potato Beetle
Orange egg cluster of Colorado Potato Beetle, squash on sight.jpg (91.86 KiB) Viewed 10173 times
While the picture is not very good, the orange egg cluster is a number of small individual eggs of the pest Colorado Potato Beetle. I personally squash them on sight, usually between the leaf and a handy rock, then wash my hands off later. To find them, it helps to have the potato plants in rows, to physically lift up the 'branches'/leaves up to inspect underneath the leaves. You usually have to make more than one pass to find them all, or nearly all of them. You are better off doing this early on, before this pest population hatches and thrives, or your potato plants may be eaten more severely then you want anyways. :roll:
Very temporary quick weeding by hand
Very temporary quick weeding by hand
Quick weeding resized.jpg (145.59 KiB) Viewed 10173 times
If I have to weed quickly (yet mindfully) by hand, I pull the weeds that are closest to the desired plants first, in this case a sunflower plant. This way merely 'buys time' until I can come back to do a more thorough weeding later. I personally use my bare hands, up until I find a thistle. :roll:
Freshly pulled weeds as small mulch pile
Freshly pulled weeds as small mulch pile
Freshly pulled weeds as mulch pile resized.jpg (133.6 KiB) Viewed 10173 times
I personally like to take the freshly pulled weeds and make them into little piles, to use as mulch. This mulch alone does not cover very much area though.

PraticalGardener
Cool Member

On June 12th, I noticed that my replanted corn seeds are sprouting. However, it is almost entirely of the seeds that I saved from last year that are sprouting, as compared to the 1-year old corn seeds. Below is a picture of my first corn plant this year, compared to the replanted corn seeds. Basically 1ft tall vs. about 4 to 5inches tall corn plants. Not as many corn plants as I was hoping for, but I can improvise with the 'newfound space'. :roll:
First planted vs. re-planted Country Gentleman Corn plants
First planted vs. re-planted Country Gentleman Corn plants
2019 Country Gentleman corn 1st vs. replanted resized.jpg (163.56 KiB) Viewed 10155 times
Planting arrangement layout and 'newfound space' (some corn plants didn't grow).
Planting arrangement layout and 'newfound space' (some corn plants didn't grow).
2019 example of corn 'group' layout resized.jpg (201.15 KiB) Viewed 10155 times
Tom Thumb Pea plant with a blossom and pea pods
Tom Thumb Pea plant with a blossom and pea pods
Tom Thumb Pea with pea pods resized.jpg (159.75 KiB) Viewed 10155 times
The Tall Telephone Pea plant has been yellowing and appears to be dying.
I ate my first harvest of Tom Thumb peas the other day, it passed the taste test.:D I think the first pod had 7 peas inside, but the second pod had 5 peas inside, so it varies a little bit.
Wando Peas on tomato cage and transplanted volunteer potato plants.
Wando Peas on tomato cage and transplanted volunteer potato plants.
2019 Taters and peas resized.jpg (144.99 KiB) Viewed 10155 times
Normally I am quick to weed out all the volunteer sunflowers in the potato patch. However, this year I am not especially concerned with the production of only three transplanted volunteer potato plants, so I might leave a few volunteer sunflowers alone.
Flax on left, Soapwart on right
Flax on left, Soapwart on right
2019 Soapwart and Flax resized.jpg (154.27 KiB) Viewed 10155 times
Outside my 'wide garden row':
Spaghetti Squash on repurposed 'cattle panel'.
Spaghetti Squash on repurposed 'cattle panel'.
2019 Spagetti Squash on trellis 2 resized.jpg (158.63 KiB) Viewed 10155 times
I wanted to grow some Spaghetti Squash to see if I like the taste. I started these two Spaghetti Squash outside of my 'wide garden row', planted directly in place on May 10th, and both sprouted at May 23rd. I wanted one of them on a trellis, just in case of powdery mildew. I might have to transplant one of these ones. My intention is to grow most of the Spaghetti Squash plants 'alongside' my corn, sprawling out over the ground.

PraticalGardener
Cool Member

June 14th
I added another 'cattle panel' trellis and planted 1/2 Runner Beans. I also planted 3 Spaghetti Squash 'alongside' my 'wide row'.
Spagetti Squash sprouted
Spagetti Squash sprouted
Planted Spagetti Squash.jpg (198.82 KiB) Viewed 10283 times
June 21
I weeded my 'wide row' and went through the trouble of tying up my pea plants this time, largely for the convenience of being able to easily see if there are any pea pods, especially if I want to eat them before the plants die in order to 'go to seed'.
While doing so, two wrens (or something similar) kept chirping at me unhappily. What I didn't quite realize was that they had a fledgling baby in the middle of the garden, perched on a 'cattle panel' pea trellis in the middle of the garden. I didn't see any obvious injuries on it. When I checked back the following morning, I didn't see it. Presumably it moved to a new location or got eaten. No wonder the parent birds were unhappy with my presence! :shock:
Fledgling wren(I think) in garden
Fledgling wren(I think) in garden
Half grown wren perched on pea trellis.jpg (153.9 KiB) Viewed 10283 times
June 25
I noticed that all 3 Spaghetti Squash plants have sprouted.
I think the flax might be getting ready to 'branch out' or bloom eventually.
Flax branching out and budding
Flax branching out and budding
Flax branching and budding for flowers.jpg (115.4 KiB) Viewed 10283 times
I keep thinning out the Soapwart to give more sunlight to the flax, the flax closest to the soapwart is still really short.
My Wando peas are finally blooming. :mrgreen:

June 29
Spagetti Squash flower
Spagetti Squash flower
Spagetti Squash male flower with bee.jpg (113.1 KiB) Viewed 10283 times
Spagetti Squash growing on the ground
Spagetti Squash growing on the ground
Spaggi Squash spreading on the ground.jpg (149.77 KiB) Viewed 10283 times
I hadn't gotten around to training up these Spagetti Squash yet. In hindsight I transplanted them way too close together for my preference, since I figured I might lose one when transplanting, except both of them survived.
Sweet 100 cherry tomato blossom
Sweet 100 cherry tomato blossom
Sweet 100 Tomato flower.jpg (162.96 KiB) Viewed 10283 times
My 1st growing Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes
My 1st growing Sweet 100 cherry tomatoes
Sweet 100 first cherry tomatoes growing.jpg (125.13 KiB) Viewed 10283 times
I noticed more tomato blossoms and the first few green cherry tomatoes developing.
I also realized that my first few flax flowers have appeared! :D

June 30
The flax plants varied in height from about 14" to just over 2feet tall, if I don't count the most shaded flax plants. I think it does best in full sun, since the most shaded flax near the soapwart were abit yellow and one of the shortest flax plants is now finally 5" tall.

July 4th
Spagetti Squash after tying onto trellis
Spagetti Squash after tying onto trellis
Spagetti Squash tied onto small trellis2.jpg (154.51 KiB) Viewed 10283 times
I finally re-positioned the two transplanted Spagetti Squash to grow on the trellis, with some help. The extra large holes cut out of the panel turned out to be handy to help weave the plants back and forth on the trellis abit, since I didn't get around to it until after they had grown quite a bit. :roll: I wore gloves for some of the work and recruited a helper, as the plants are covered in really tiny thorns along the stems that were all-too-easy to overlook initially. Afterwards I finally blossom-bagged the female flower buds, now that I know what they look like. :)
I also tied up the Wando peas again, since a few of them grew a lot taller.
Flax (Linum usitatissimum) blooming
Flax (Linum usitatissimum) blooming
Flax in bloom.jpg (161.35 KiB) Viewed 10283 times
This morning I finally managed to get a picture of several flax blooming.
Suprisingly, the pollen appears to be more blue than any yellow.

July 5th
1/2 Runner Bean trellis to use 'newfound' space
1/2 Runner Bean trellis to use 'newfound' space
Resized Half Runner Bean Trellis with few corn plants.jpg (175.44 KiB) Viewed 10283 times
I finally gave a more-through weeding to my 'wide garden row'. I ended up pulling out most of the Lady's Thumb weeds, especially from near the more desirable vegetable plants.
A few more of the 1/2 Runner Beans are sprouting along the trellis.

Wando and Tom Thumb peas taste comparison attempt:
I finally tasted each of my peas in more of a side-by-side comparison twice now. I took a drink of water between tasting each type of the peas. My conclusion is the Wando peas seem to taste slightly richer overall. The Tom Thumb peas seem sweeter when small, but become slightly more plain in taste as they get larger.
The Tom Thumb pea plants were harder for me to pick the Tom Thumb peas initially, mostly by how far I have to reach, but also due to thicker stems where the pea pods attach, as compared to Wando pea plants. Still, both of them seem to be worth growing again so far. :mrgreen:
I think I will let the last remaining Tom Thumb pea go to seed at this point, since I don't know how soon the heat might finish the Tom Pea Plant off, but it looks perfectly healthy for now. The shade from the sunflower plants may be helping it to cope with the heat some.

The Flax is as tall as 2 feet and 5 inches tall. It is still doing a nice show of blue flowers today at noon.

applestar
Mod

You’ve been busy! I love the flax blossoms. I keep thinking I want to do a 4th of July flower bed — red white and blue — maybe next year, I will try with flax as one of the blue flowers... I’m thinking same bed will be also planted with spring flowers / Memorial Day — a candidate for blue is sky blue grape hyacinth. It’s hard to find the Not-Purple blue flowers that bloom at the right time.

imafan26
Mod

Looks nice. You must like beans, you have so many different kinds. I had to look up the difference between runner beans and pole beans, because I always thought runners were ornamental beans like Scarlett Runner. I did not think of them as an edible bean.

applestar
Mod

But scarlet runners ARE edible. They are delicious in fact — wont They be perennial in Hawaii? I wanted to try digging up the supposedly huge root tuber and overwintering it one winter, but couldn’t get around to it.

PraticalGardener
Cool Member

The flax can seem to have a hint of light purple, rather than a true blue color.
I hate to suggest this weed but Common Chickory (Cichorium intybus) is blue when freshly blooming, although it gets more pale towards a light purple to eventually completely pale as the flowers age.

Thank-you for the compliment imafan26. I am 'playing around with' string beans more recently, although I don't eat them much. Out of the few I've tried so far, the 1/2 Runner are my favorite overall, partly due to a smooth surface area. This year I am hoping to practice saving the 1/2 Runner Beans for seed for seed.
Scarlet Runner beans tasted ok as a string bean, but it had a more textured surface area that I personally didn't care for as much. I didn't try soaking the dried seeds to eat. I do like how the Scarlet Runner beans will go to seed and still keep producing new bean pods though.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Nice beans, @PracticalGardener! I was thinking of planting some green beans for the fall, but I think it's too late now.

applestar
Mod

PraticalGardener wrote:The flax can seem to have a hint of light purple, rather than a true blue color.
I hate to suggest this weed but Common Chickory (Cichorium intybus) is blue when freshly blooming, although it gets more pale towards a light purple to eventually completely pale as the flowers age.
You know, that reminded me that a few years ago, I got a meculun mix of lettuce, arugula, and radicchio, and to my surprise, the radicchio survived the winter, then made a cute red/purple head. For several years thereafter until somehow they disappeared, they would bolt and bloom cornflower/chicory blue flowers, then self seed and later form a head in late winter/early summer.

Maybe I should try growing some radicchio again.... :()

PraticalGardener
Cool Member

My pictures may be a little out of order with the dates, but I will share some pictures anyways. :roll:

July 13th
I hand-pollinated the first blossom-bagged female flower of Spaghetti Squash a while back, with one of the male flowers I plucked off, and it is maturing into a spaghetti squash.
Developing Spagetti Squash female flower
Developing Spagetti Squash female flower
Growing Spagetti Squash female flower.jpg (128.67 KiB) Viewed 10204 times
Pollinated Spagetti Squash, after blossom died
Pollinated Spagetti Squash, after blossom died
Pollinated Spagetti Squash, with brown string.jpg (108.79 KiB) Viewed 10204 times
I thinned out a few more sunflower plants, and/or stripped off some of their lower leaves, to give my few corn plants some more sunlight.

I finally figured out that these ball-shaped things are what the flax seeds develop in. When I opened one up, they were filled with flax seeds, but the seeds were entirely white instead of dark brown like the ones I had sown.
Flax with seedpods top view
Flax with seedpods top view
Flax producing seed heads.png (431.93 KiB) Viewed 10204 times
Flax with seedpods side view
Flax with seedpods side view
Side vew flax seed heads resized.jpg (138.25 KiB) Viewed 10204 times
First small bundle of flax.  Too soon to harvest?
First small bundle of flax. Too soon to harvest?
Very small flax bundle resized.jpg (131.38 KiB) Viewed 10204 times
Although possibly too early in hindsight to harvest for the flax fibers, I thinned out the flax plants I didn't want to go to seed. I pulled out the shorter flax plants, even though most were probably shorter due to location in more shade rather than genetics. I wouldn't be surprised if the short flax plants were not matured enough in fibers, but I plan to 'play around' with them anyways to see how their fibers turn out, if at all.
I basically pulled out the flax, roots and all, tied them up into a bundle and hung the bundle to hopefully dry out.

July 20th
The one corn plant is about full size now. I hadn't gotten around to hilling any of the corn plants yet, I might just let them go without hilling again this year.
Only some of the 1/2 Runner beans appeared to have sprouted, but the ones that did are doing well so far.

The Spaghetti Squash are beginning to sprawl out, but one is particularly vigorous. I'm not doing a good job of keeping up with pollinating female blooms of the ones on the trellis, but I definitely have one squash maturing.
Planted Spagetti Squash sprawling out on ground
Planted Spagetti Squash sprawling out on ground
Spagetti Squash on 'cattle panel' trellis
Spagetti Squash on 'cattle panel' trellis
Developing Spagetti Squash.jpg (156.77 KiB) Viewed 10204 times

The morning glories are blooming well.
Morning Glory (a pretty weed) trained &amp; climbing up sunflower stalk
Morning Glory (a pretty weed) trained & climbing up sunflower stalk
Morning Glory on sunflower stalk resized.jpg (164.7 KiB) Viewed 10204 times
Some of the Wando pea plants are dying now, presumably because of the high temperatures finally 'kicking in'. :| I pulled all but one of said dying pea plants, the remaining dead one has a few nice pea pods on it. Normally I don't bother pulling out dead pea plants, but I want to attempt to save the best plants to go to seed.
For some reason some of the pea pods are 'bumpy' (stippling?) from some of the plants, I'm not sure whether it is from insect damage or not, but the peas still look and tasted fine.

July 23rd
My first planted and best single Country Gentleman sweet corn is both tasseling and has silks.
Single Country Gentleman Sweet Corn plant with tassels and silks
Single Country Gentleman Sweet Corn plant with tassels and silks
Single Country Gentleman Corn tasseling and silking.jpg (145.87 KiB) Viewed 10204 times
The Half Runner Beans are growing, I was able to just start training a few of them up the trellis.
1/2 Runner Beans on trellis, and planted Spagetti Squash sprawling out on ground
1/2 Runner Beans on trellis, and planted Spagetti Squash sprawling out on ground
Half Runner Beans at trellis and Spagetti Squash.jpg (166.17 KiB) Viewed 10204 times
The transplanted Spagetti Squash plants have two squash developing so far, but I haven't been able to successfully time/coordinate the male flowers to pollinate the female flowers, so some of the female flowers are dying.
All three of the planted Spagetti Squash are 'sprawling out' over the ground.

Some of the 'mutt' volunteer sunflowers are 'branching out', especially the ones that have multiple flower heads.
'Mutt' volunteer sunflower, with multiple flower heads forming
'Mutt' volunteer sunflower, with multiple flower heads forming
Sunflower in bloom resized.jpg (155.26 KiB) Viewed 10204 times
I am leaving my remaining Wando peas to go to seed, or at least attempting to. :roll:

I am finally caught up on tying up the Sweet 100 cherry tomato plant. It was very leggy and tall, especially when stretched upright, yet very healthy. My guess is it is leggy due to attempting to find sunlight, in the shade of the sunflower plants.
I stripped off some of the leaves off of some of my sunflower plants, to encourage more sunlight to reach the tomato plant.
Finally tied up leggy tomato plant again
Finally tied up leggy tomato plant again
Sweet 100 Cherry Tomato plant tied up again.jpg (189.86 KiB) Viewed 10204 times
Sweet 100 red Cherry Tomatoes starting to ripen
Sweet 100 red Cherry Tomatoes starting to ripen
First Sweet 100 Cherry tomatoes to ripen.jpg (152.13 KiB) Viewed 10204 times

The flax looked a little wind-blown, but intact. The thunderstorm the other day had a wind of at least 23 miles per hour, but it is not what I consider to be a strong wind for this area from my experience. It was probably unnecessary, but I babied the little flax patch by tying up the flax perimeter a bit anyways.
Slightly windblown flax
Slightly windblown flax
Slightly windblown flax.png (562.2 KiB) Viewed 10204 times
Tied up the perimeter of flax abit
Tied up the perimeter of flax abit
Babied the flax.jpg (195.02 KiB) Viewed 10204 times
The soapwart patch visually looks like a mess, with plants partly flattened, but perhaps also because the outermost plants were previously 'trimmed' by the lawnmower a bit. The soapwart plants are healthy though, so I'm not worried about them.
Last edited by PraticalGardener on Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TomatoNut95
Super Green Thumb

Beautiful garden!

applestar
Mod

Looking good!

I’ve had the multi-headed, mutt volunteer sunflowers growing before. My guess is from dropped seeds from my or someone else’s bird feeder by birds or buried by chipmunks and/or squirrels. I tried to leave them growing for *the birds* — living birdfeeder. Works great for chickadees and titmouse... until almost inevitably, the squirrels find them and climb up the weaker side flowerheads. Their weight is too much for these thin stems and they fall over and get broken off. :x I ended up tying some the broken off heads to the bird feeder post :D

Hopefully, the fibers in those thinned flax will be developed/tough enough after drying out. I suppose you would have to soak?

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”