not bad considering last sunday and Monday we had snow here in western Virginia
my water storage tanks 3/4/  full
my water storage tanks 3/4/ full
my wide rows and walk  ways all edged out and ready to plant
my wide rows and walk ways all edged out and ready to plant
hopefully these pics came out. if not, I'll keep trying till I get it right

xtron
Cool Member

finally got a weekend it isn't raining so got out in the garden...
got potatoes planted
got potatoes planted
got peas a-poppin'
got peas a-poppin'
gonna have some strawberrys
gonna have some strawberrys
rhubarb needs picking again
rhubarb needs picking again
asperagras is coming up nicely
asperagras is coming up nicely
gonna have lots of horseradish...yum
gonna have lots of horseradish...yum
and a bunch of onions
and a bunch of onions
in a week or two when the soil has warmed some more, it'll be time to plant corn and beans

xtron
Cool Member

the first year asperagras is going gang busters
the first year asperagras is going gang busters
we got a little rain this morning. not near as much as we had hoped for, but we'll take any and all we can get and be thankful for it.

I planted sweet corn and popcorn Friday afternoon, hoping the rain would come and speed the germination. when it pokes up, I'll post pics. here'shis weeks photo fix.
peas are doing pretty well
peas are doing pretty well
cabbage mulched in
cabbage mulched in
true value had cabbage $2 for a four pack. at that price, it's not worth my while to start my own...I got 12, 3 different varieties.
early dutch flat, o's hypread, and stonehead. that should give me a steady supply of cole slaw all summer.
strawberrys and garlic
strawberrys and garlic
has anyone seen rhubarb do this?? is it "going to seed"?
has anyone seen rhubarb do this?? is it "going to seed"?
only one plant doing it
only one plant doing it

check back next week for the next update/photo fix

applestar
Mod

Wow looking good!

Rhubarb is going to seed. You are supposed to cut that close to the ground (I think). I didn’t do that, and though may not be the only reason because it turned out that Japanese beetles really like rhubarb foliage and turned them into lace, and some rodent or other liked digging multi-chambered mansion under it... mine died after blooming and going to seed.

... another reason I think was that we had unusual amount of rain that year and the rhubarb bed which I had chosen because it tends to stay dry, was completely swamped.

xtron
Cool Member

thanks for the info applestar. I've never seen rhubarb do that before. maybe I haven't been paying enough attention, I usually just pick and eat. amazing how much you STILL learn even after doing this stuff for a lot of years.

xtron
Cool Member

work has been kicking my butt, so I misses an update...sorry

last week it was rain, rain, rain, so not much got done until yesterday. we finally got a break and it dried out enough to do some planting and weeding.
planted the black beans. 150 row feet(5 rows, 30 foot long). and planted butter bean/lima beans, 125 row feet(5X25)

today got some weeding and mulching done.
SUNP0021.JPG
cabbage is doing nicely
SUNP0023.JPG
the peas are too
SUNP0024.JPG
the potatoes are up, kennybecks and russets
SUNP0025.JPG
the popcorn looks like it all sprouted
SUNP0026.JPG
but if more sweet corn doesn't come up, next weekend I will till it up and re-plant
SUNP0027.JPG
strawberries forming up..yummie
SUNP0028.JPG
the rhubarb going to seed doesn't look like it has affected growth or production.
I am going to give it a heavy dose of nitrogen to help it recover.
SUNP0029.JPG
every year we try something new. this year it's flax. I have no idea if I am doing this right or not,
but if it works, good, if not, we'll try again till we get it right.

the forecast looks like we will have adequet moisture at least thru july. by then most crops should be set and ready to go.

hopefully work slackes off and I can post updates more regularly.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

One year I bought a 50 lb bag of Flax seed at Farmers Co-op several of us at work pooled our money and divided up the seed. I had about 5 lbs of Flax seed I ate it on everything. Spring time I sprinkled Flax seed in a 2 ft square area in the garden and 1000s of the most beautiful blue color flowers grew. Someone told me there are different types of Flax seed and each type grows a different color flower.

xtron
Cool Member

sweet. these came from a bag of bob's red mill flax seeds that I bought and never got around to eating. I tried test sprouting some back in February and they did good. they are this years trial plant. if they produce and are not hard to thresh, or what ever you call harvesting them, I'll try milling and eating them. then plant more next year

applestar
Mod

It really boosts my confidence in the company that your “old” pantry stock of flax seeds sprouted and are growing well — “Live” food, you know. 8)

I like growing grocery store “beans” and “grain” too. :()

xtron
Cool Member

I've had good luck using store bought beans for seed. the first batch of kidney beans I grew, as a second crop after the green beans were done, were wally world brand bag beans. I didn't have anything else handy, and thought, what the heck, if they grow they grow, if not, oh well. had a great crop and saved some seeds for the next year. still have some for this years planting, after the beets are done. I've done the same with pintos too.

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”