Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Re: Tennessee 2018 Garden

We had 20 mph wind all day, full sun an 79 degrees. The soil dried out good enough I can to some work.

My potato plants are 6" to 10" tall and the stems have about 25 roots growing out the sides on the lower 1" of the plants. I shoveled enough soil on the potato plants to cover the roots so roots have some where to grow. Once every week I will need to shovel more soil on the plants for more roots to grow.

There is nothing else to do but wait an see if, corn, peas & beans grow.

Tomato plants have taken good root plants are 2" taller and much darker green color than before. All this rain an mud never seems to hurt tomato plants or the pepper plants.

Weather man claims it is going to rain again tomorrow.

I had about 200 potato cuttings left over that I do not need so I listed them free on craigslist and about a dozen people wanted them. Someone came and took 50 cuttings then another person came and took the rest.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I planted 3 rows of wine today weather man says we might get more rain tonight. We are having more 20 mph wind the spinners are a blur but the camera makes it look like they are stopping. A few pea seeds have germinated but no corn or beans yet. It is sunny and 85 degrees corn & beans still might grow. I am bottling another 6 gallons of red wine today this will add another 32 bottles to the wine cellar.
Attachments
100_9679.JPG
100_9677.JPG
100_9682.JPG
Last edited by applestar on Thu May 10, 2018 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: A typo corrected per request.

applestar
Mod

Did you explain what the garden rows of wine bottles are for before?
... I was guessing maybe you were sterilizing them in the sun?

Looks like good times :D
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Did you explain what the garden rows of wine bottles are for before?
YES. I planted 3 rows of wine. LOL. :) That is too silly.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

After 2 days of no rain, full sun, 20 mph wind, 85 degrees, it rained very hard this morning 6:30am sun came out for 2 hrs now it is raining again. Peas & beans are growing but no corn yet. I have lost 7 potato plants from cut worms. No problem potatoes can not be killed by cut worms or frost, no matter how often plants get killed they will grow back. Up to now I have not fertilized anything in the garden, last night 7pm I mixed 1 pint of wood ash with 5 gallons of water then watered my tomatoes & potatoes. I mixed up 3 buckets of water. My onions & garlic need nitrogen I plan to remove all the soil around the bulbs so they will grow very large.
Attachments
100_9684.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It is interesting to notice how beans can push there way through this hard dry soil like little hydraulic jacks. Peas are doing the same thing. Beans & peas have broken up all the soil in their 3'x20' patch it looks like the worlds smallest earth quake broke up all the soil in those 2 spots. It is easy to tell where each row of corn is planted because corn has the soil lifted up and cracked open in a straight line the full length of the row like a volcano does to the earth then corn comes up like pointed arrows. About 1/2 my beans are up, about 1/2 my corn is up, about 1/2 my peas are up. 2 more weeks, corn, beans, peas, will be 6 to 8 inches tall. The tomato seeds I planted and covered with wooden blocks have germinated this morning and full sun 2nd 1/2 of the day turned the white leaves dark green. Tomato seed are easier to plant directly in the garden than plant trays inside the house much less work & seeds are up in about 4 days. I saved a lot of seeds from last years garden that saved me a bunch of money & I did not have to drive 18 miles round trip to buy seeds. About 1 or 2 more days everything will be up. I have 1000s of saved flower seeds I planted them in many places this evening they will be coming up soon too.

There are no honey bees. I have been watching for bees every day for weeks and no bees. I have been letting white clover grow in the yard for the bees but no bees. Grass needs to be cut soon maybe next week.
Attachments
004.JPG
003.JPG
002.JPG
001.JPG

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yes, my lawn is mostly white clover. I think I have seen two honeybees so far. The clover blossoms should be full of them. Bad times!
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I needed 4 more plants to finish 1 of the tomato rows so Monday I planted a few seeds in 4 places then covered them with a small board to hold moisture an Thursday the seeds had germinated. Now plants are nice and green after being in the sun 2 days. I only need 1 plant in each location so I will use a kitchen spoon to scoop the extra plants out to transplant at my sons house.

Last year we threw all the kitchen scraps into the garden & this year there are 100s of volunteer melons growing everywhere.

It was 90 degrees today and onions are already going to seed.
Attachments
005.JPG
004.JPG
003.JPG
002.JPG
001.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I harvested a 2 ft tall onion plant today then folded it several times to fit on a hamburger we cooked on the BBQ grill. I have about 400 onion plants it won't hurt anything to eat them as they grow larger.

I caught a small toad in the garden then released it in the potato patch. The toad acted like it was right at home in that jungle of potato plants.

I sprinkled wood ash on my tomato plants today like I do every year weather report is 4 days of thunder storms starting Tuesday. I also put wood ash on my, onions, garlic & potatoes. There is lots of P&K, Lime & minerals in wood ash. Lime is good for BER.

We harvested more Rhubarb today to make sauce, 1 part Rhubard, 2 parts strawberries, sugar to taste. We baked a yellow cake too. Sauce over cake taste too much like strawberries to me but wife likes it. Next time we try 1 part Rhubarb with 1 part strawberries. I think sauce can use a little bit of cinnamon too and a spoon of Orange Marmalade Jam in place of some of the sugar.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It finally rained yesterday evening after no rain an 90+ degrees for a week. Potato plants are looking good. Peas & beans are small they needed the rain. Okra & Asian potatoes have not come up yet. Onions & garlic look good. Sweet potatoes, melons & corn need the rain too, 4 more days of rain in the forecast. We harvested small amounts of Rhubarb 3 times to make sauce it is good over cake & frozen yogurt with whip cream. Tomato plants are doing great.
Attachments
100_9730.JPG
100_9731.JPG
100_9732.JPG
100_9733.JPG
100_9734.JPG
100_9735.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Dog has destroyed about 20% of the corn crop running through the garden barking at people. I built this fence today in about 3 hrs work. I hammered wooden stakes in the ground 2 ft apart them put thin wood strips zig zag between the stakes. Dog can not run straight through the corn anymore she has to run around. In about a month corn will be taller then fence can come down. Click on picture it gets bigger, click pic again it get even bigger. I made good use of that free trailer load of wood strips.
Attachments
100_9750.JPG
100_9749.JPG

applestar
Mod

The basket weave? fence looks great! :-()
Learning never ends because we can share what we've learned. And in sharing our collective experiences, we gain deeper understanding of what we learned.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Very nice! Why take the fence down later?
Twitter account I manage for local Sierra Club: https://twitter.com/CherokeeGroupSC Facebook page I manage for them: https://www.facebook.com/groups/65310596576/ Come and find me and lots of great information, inspiration

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Very nice! Why take the fence down later?
My original garden plan was to plant melons & sweet potatoes in the center of the garden then after corn is harvested an gone melons & sweet potato vines can grow into the area where corn was. Also when white potatoes and peas are harvested an gone on the other side of garden melons & sweet potato vines can grow into that area too. Fence needs to be gone so melon & sweet potato vines can grow in that direction, I was planning to make vines grow in a circle away so fence may not need to be gone for 2 months. I made sure to have 3 feet of space on both sides of the fence for the tiller I will probably need to run tiller through the garden in 2 more weeks to remove unwanted grass & weeds that come up. So far so good no weeds or grass anywhere except wet corner of garden that is still shaded by tall trees. Sun is getting high up now it won't take much to keep grass & weeds gone from the garden for the next 3 months in the dry season. June to August little rain means few weeds and no garden work except harvesting crops. We are still planning to spend the month of June camping in Michigan garden will be fine no work to do until July then time to harvest & put vegetables in mason jars. I like mason jars food is good for 4 years but wife likes the freezer but food gets freezer burn in zip lock bags after 6 months so it needs to be eaten before it goes bad.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It rained last night & potato plants are falling over they were standing up nice an straight yesterday. I was hoping to shovel more soil on the plants today before they all fall over, oh well that is what potato plants do. Several potatoes plants blossomed a few days ago an the rest of the plants are ready to blossom. Pea patch is looking good except for WANDO peas only 7 our of 250 seeds germinated. I ordered sugar beet seeds yesterday to take the place of wando. I hope sugar beets will be FREE sugar for making wine. Some of the tomatoes are 2 ft tall now the only fertilizer I have used is wood ash they are due to have more wood ash fertilizer tomorrow. Bean crop is up an looking good about 800 bean plants. Both types of sweet potatoes look good & both type melons all look good too. Corn is looking better they needed rain. I water new tomato plants and pepper plant for a few days to help them get started but I never water my garden that forces plants to grow deep roots in search of their own water when 100 degree weather arrives plants will be fine all summer with what little rain we get in the dry season.
Attachments
100_9752.JPG
100_9753.JPG
100_9754.JPG
100_9755.JPG
100_9756.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

My cilantro patch is getting big sense its 90+ degrees it will go to seed soon. I planted this BIG patch for seeds so I can keep several small patches of cilantro growing all summer. Wife made taco salad for dinner with cilantro & garden onion tops. We call it vegetable taco salad with, peas, broccoli, onion, celery, carrots, meat, cheese, lettuce, & 1 jar of Picante sauce. Mix taco seasoning in meat then add to vegetables. I like grilled Fajita chicken. Stir in a whole bag of cheese flavor corn chips. Top with what ever you like, sour cream or guacamole. Pico de gallo is good too. Hot weather my onions are trying to make seeds I hope picking the seed tops off will not hurt the onions.
Last edited by Gary350 on Tue May 22, 2018 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hrousejr
Newly Registered

Very well planned garden. Meticulous planning should yield lots of bounty.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Thunder storms last night turned out to be a tiny sprinkle, it made the soil surface wet enough that it was easy to hoe this morning. I pulled the hoe through the garden like a road grader blade as I walked up and down each row. The loose soil on the surface kills grass & acts like mulch, moisture that wicks its way to the surface is insulated buy 1" of dry loose soil that blocks the sun from evaporating the moisture below. A few days ago I shoveled about 6" of soil on the potato plants they are standing straight and tall again. Not much to do for a while but go camping. Yesterday after lunch temperature was in the 90s I sat under a shade tree with a glass of sweet ice tea watching & listing to the birds, wind sounds so nice blowing through the trees, clouds in the sky were so wonderful, I fell asleep in the chair next to the garden & woke up 2 hours later when the cat jumped up on me. Yard & garden are full of birds & butterflies. Click pictures they get larger, click again they get very large.
Attachments
100_9793.JPG
100_9795.JPG
100_9796.JPG
100_9797.JPG
100_9798.JPG
100_9799.JPG
100_9800.JPG
100_9801.JPG

wisconsindead

Love your garden Gary. Looks great. What plants are growing between the staked tomatoes and the cilantro/beets/brassicas?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I decided the empty space between the russet potato row & melon row needs to have something planted there. I went to the garden store to investigate what to buy and decided it is time to try a variety sweet peppers maybe there is something we like better than we have had in the past. I bought 4 different kinds of peppers in 4 trays = 18 plants price was $1.34 total end of season. I already have 3 different types of peppers in another part of the garden. We don't eat many peppers 1 plant is usually more than enough peppers for stir fry and a few other things. We need to try new things like bell pepper smoothy & bell pepper bread instead of zucchini bread. Maybe I can give someone a bushel basket of peppers for their birthday. LOL. It is late in the season to be planting anything in 90 degree weather if I baby these plants for a few weeks maybe the plants will survive.
Attachments
001.JPG
002.JPG
100_9803.JPG
100_9805.JPG
100_9813.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

wisconsindead wrote:Love your garden Gary. Looks great. What plants are growing between the staked tomatoes and the cilantro/beets/brassicas?
Between every other tomatoes plant I have Marigolds. I also have 1 zucchini squash seeds planted 2 weeks apart where there are no Marigolds so we will have new plants coming up for 2 months. Zucchini often make 5 or 6 squash then get root rot so I replace bad plants with a seed and still have a lot of plants to harvest as new plants grow larger. There are 3 kinds of carrots planted with the cilantro & beets then Swiss Chard, cabbage, broccoli, more cilantro & onions. Carrots were planted at 3 different times because seeds arrived in the mail 3 different times. Carrots planted in March are doing best. It is too late for beets not likely plants will produce much. 3 heads of broccoli need to be eaten starting tomorrow. Swiss Chard is growing very slow.
Attachments
100_9827.JPG
100_9816.JPG
100_9817.JPG
100_9818.JPG
100_9819.JPG
100_9823.JPG
100_9816.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I harvested a broccoli hot weather is causing it to start making seeds. We ate broccoli on a crispy chicken dinner salad with garden onions & ranch dressing. I planted Twain potato seeds 45 hours ago seeds are hatching already. I always have very good luck with seeds from, Twain, Vietnam, Ireland, China. Wow that was a good salad I ate 2 plus a bowl of potato salad.
Attachments
100_9829.JPG
100_9831.JPG
100_9832.JPG
100_9833.JPG
100_9834.JPG
100_9835.JPG
100_9836.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Garden is doing very well it has been 2 weeks since we had a good hard rain. Weather man claims we will get 3" of rain Saturday & more rain Sunday from the Hurricane coming up from Florida. I planted a few seeds yesterday they could use some rain to make them grow. No weeds, no grass, no bugs, lots of birds & several butterflies.
Attachments
100_9848.JPG
100_9847.JPG
100_9846.JPG
100_9845.JPG
100_9844.JPG
100_9843.JPG
100_9842.JPG
100_9851.JPG

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Garden is looking great. It is pleasing when those plants dig in, take hold and show forth that healthy green growth.
What do you use for support to the tomato plants?
Nutin as good as a kitchen sink mater sammich

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

lakngulf wrote:Garden is looking great. It is pleasing when those plants dig in, take hold and show forth that healthy green growth.
What do you use for support to the tomato plants?
Tomato cages are just cheapo wire hoop cages. Click the tomato picture it gets larger, click again pic gets very large you can see very good details. I put a 8 ft long piece of cement rebar 8" into the soil then tie tomato cage to rebar so cages do not fall over when plants get top heavy 7 ft tall. I tie plants to rebar so they grow taller. Soon plants are too tall then they turn and grow down to the soil. Old section of the plant no longer produces tomatoes only the top 2 ft of new growth produces tomatoes until frost kills plants in November. If top of plants touch the soil they grow roots then old plant can be cut away the cutting becomes the new plant. Weather forecast has already changed no rain until Sunday that suites me fine because Saturday yard sales will not be rained out.

This video is so funny I could not resist sharing it. I would never do this to my garden friends.

https://www.facebook.com/so.cial.77964/ ... 451737747/

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

2 months ago when I tilled my garden it was about 1 day too soon for wet soil on south side of garden in full shade, wet soil turned into dirt balls that were like stones in the garden. Dryer soil on north side of garden in full sun tilled up nice. I tilled south side of garden several times all it did was stir up the dirt balls that were still there. Few days ago after doing several experiments I learned, if I smack the soil hard with flat side of a 1"x2" board 3 ft long dirt balls shatter into dust. Hammer did good to get rid of dirt balls 1 by 1 but very time consuming and flat shovel was not very effective. Soil surface is now much better for planting seeds.

Here are tomatoes I planted about 10 days ago in the garden from last years saved seeds. I water them every day until roots are large enough to take over its about time to remove smaller plants & let 1 larger plants grow on their own at each of the 4 locations.
Attachments
100_9856.JPG
100_9855.JPG
100_9854.JPG
100_9853.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

71 degrees this morning, I set outside every morning with my coffee to watch the birds, cats & squirrels. Baby cats are so funny and fun to watch they are on the move all the time, running, jumping, climbing, it is hard to get a photo with all 7 cats in the same picture. Several run up the tree while the rest run into the garden chasing each other through the plants. The cats in the garden see the cats in the tree so they run up the tree about the same time cats in the tree see cats in the garden so they climb down and run to the garden. Cats hide in the potato patch then jump out on another cat they tumble and roll then run off through the peas, tomatoes & beans. Little cats are so cute they do sideways jumping movements at each other and stand on their back legs like big bear attacks at each other. They are having so much fun. Red birds are the number 1 birds in the garden all day I search for bugs and can not find any, so far so good. I hear the wren chirping its lungs out but it is rear that I see the wren. I see, titmouse, chickadee, blue jays, red birds, wood pecker, sparrows, and birds that look like sparrows with red head and red tail feathers. Sometimes I see the blue bird fly across the yard. Cats are about ready to give away we are considering keeping 2 this time.
Attachments
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
005.JPG
006.JPG
007.JPG
008.JPG

Aida

Your plants are looking fantastic! Such a big and well organized garden. I wouldn't be surprised if those kittens never want to leave, they look like they are having way too much fun. :-()

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I harvested 8 onions from the garden for dinner, sliced & dices the whole plants to cook with fried potatoes. No reason to wait for all 400 onions to get full grown at the same time we are going to eat them as they grow. We are eating the 350 garlic plants as they grow too. The largest onion I harvested was a little bit smaller than a ping pong ball. I have 2 types of onions I don't remember which is which so I got 4 of each plus herbs, oregano, thyme, marjoram.

Tomorrow big leaves around outside of cabbage head become cabbage rolls for dinner. Maybe those big broccoli leaves can be broccoli rolls?
Attachments
100_9897.JPG
100_9896.JPG
100_9893.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Seed potatoes blossomed today & yesterday. Organic potatoes blossomed 3 weeks ago. It appears organic potatoes are 3 weeks ahead of seed potatoes.

About 20 years go I planted seed potato cutting in 1/2 gallon pots inside the house. It was 72 degrees F in the house day & night 4 weeks later potato plants were 6" tall. Same potato cuttings in garden 35 degrees at night & 70 during the day takes 7 weeks to get 6" tall plants. A person with short growing season could get 3 week jump start planting in flower pots then transplant to garden. I could plant in flower pots next year to avoid rain & mud but 100 potato plants in pots plus transplant will be a lot of work but 20 plants would be much easier.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It is interesting that my whole potato patch blossomed again for the 2nd time. I wish I had known to keep notes, several weeks ago I shoveled 6" of soil on the potato plants then about a week later plants blossomed. About a week ago I shoveled another 6" of soil on the potato plants and about 1 week later they blossomed again. Yesterday I shoveled another 6" of soil on the potato plants again it will be interesting to see if plants blossom again in about a week. I am finished shoveling soil even if that helps to produce more potatoes I am finished. Texas Potato Growers say, each plant will produce 2 to 3 lbs of potatoes. If my 90 potato plants produce 180 lbs of potatoes that is a lot of potatoes. If plants produce 270 lbs wow what will we do with that many potatoes and no cellar to keep them for the winter. If shoveling more soil on the indeterminate potato plants produces more than 270 lbs that will be a more potatoes than we need. This years crop will help me to learn how many potatoes to plant next year. I might be taking a load of potatoes to the homeless shelter just have to wait and see when the crop is harvested. We have gone camping several times in the past 2 months I could have missed seeing some of the potato blossoms we were gone 4 to 7 days each time.
Attachments
100_9909.JPG

kayjay
Green Thumb

Amazing garden. I grew Carmen peppers a few years ago; they were really nice.

Nice kitty cats, too. I bet they do a good job of keeping squirrels and chipmunks away. They're the bane of my existence here.
KayJay
Toronto 'burbs, zone 5b

My Garden, 2020

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: back to cental az for now, elevation 5141, lat 34.57

That's really wonderful! I feel kind of sheepish with my little nubbins of plants just beginning. I hope my long days up here will kick in and grow some big stuff!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I might want to grow my own strawberries next year considering what they cost. The Farm 1 mile up the road pick your own strawberries $4 a lb. Walmart has strawberries $3 a lb. Aldi's grocery store has strawberries $2 a lb so we bought 32 lbs form Aldi's in the past 3 weeks $64 plus sales tax $70.40. Today we made 12 more small mason jars of Strawberry Jam. Sure Jell instructions says, 5 cups strawberries plus 7 cups of sugar but we changed recipe to 6 cups chopped Strawberries plus 2 cups of sugar stir and cook for 30 minutes to dissolve sugar and evaporate some of the liquid. Add the Sure Jell stir and cook some more then pour into jars, put on seals and rings, stand upside down until Jam is cool. We ran out of small jars we only had 11 cup size jelly jars so 1 cup of Jam had to go into a 1 pint jar. Last week we perfected the recipe making 6 jars of Strawberry Jam. We ate about 5 lbs of strawberry short cake and the rest of the berries are in the freezer. Reducing sugar in the strawberries gives them a much better strawberry flavor plus jam is thin easy to spread on bread, toast and pancakes. My grandmother called Jam, Strawberry Preserves.
Attachments
100_9918.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

My tomato plants have reached the stage where they are growing so fast I have to pull them into the wire tomato cages every day. Tops that were too short yesterday are tall enough today to pull into the next wire ring of the cages. Plants have 100s of blossoms and about 20 green tomatoes. I usually don't have ripe tomatoes until about July but this year it looks like we may have ripe tomatoes in a few more weeks. Plants that I bought must be older than plants I usually get and I did get my plants in the soil a week or so earlier than I usually do we were still having frost so plants needed to be covered at night in April. We had several big rains this week some of the tomato plants seem like they grew 2 ft taller. I fertilize my plants with wood ash potassium makes lots of big tomatoes and calcium prevents BER.
Attachments
01.JPG
02.JPG
03.JPG
04.JPG
05.JPG
06.JPG
07.JPG
08.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Corn is doing good it is about 2 ft tall. Corn on south side is short soil must not be very good there. There are 7 rows are 12" apart with 36" down the center and around all 4 sides for the tiller. White sweet potatoes have finally started to grow vines. Orange sweet potatoes should be making vines soon. Melon vines are getting long. My russet potato crop has blossomed again for the 3rd time. Every time I shovel more soil on potatoes plants they blossom again about a week later. Tomato plants that I planted from seeds directly into the garden a month ago are doing good.
Attachments
01.JPG
02.JPG
03.JPG
04.JPG
05.JPG
06.JPG
07.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I harvested 2 chili peppers today. WOW these are FIRE HOT chili peppers I will not be eating these. I bit the tip end off 1 pepper then ran to the sink washed it out with all the water I could get. They will make good paint stripper. I don't know the name, I can not find the marker tag in the garden.
Attachments
100_9983.JPG

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

My Swiss chard took a long time getting this big probably because this soil bed acts like a very dry raised bed since I never water it, 2 days of rain a week ago was helpful. I made a dinner salad, Swiss Chard, beet tops, carrot tops, onion and onion tops. It turned out to be a good salad. My Swiss chard is under a shade tree it only gets morning sun then shade after lunch, it would have bolted by now if it was in full sun. Spring carrots were slow to germinate and slow to grow but tops make an GOOD salad I will probably have all the tops eaten before plants every make a crop of carrots. Onions continue to grow larger and we keep eating them before that are ready. Onion tops are very good in, oriental soup, stir fry & other things too. I am not sure what this stringy stuff is growing on the beet leaves I've never seen this before, I wonder if it is ok to eat.
Attachments
100_9999.JPG
101_0002.JPG
101_0004.JPG
101_0005.JPG
Last edited by Gary350 on Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

applestar
Mod

You are going to like this, Gary350. I believe your stringy thing is Dodder

NATURE | Dodder Vine Sniffs Out Its Prey | What Plants Talk About | PBS

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:You are going to like this, Gary350. I believe your stringy thing is Dodder

NATURE | Dodder Vine Sniffs Out Its Prey | What Plants Talk About | PBS
This is very educational. After reading about Dodder Vine online I think I probably got Dodder Vine seeds in a package of carrot seeds from China, online says Dodder Vine is a common problem in China. Carrot seeds arrived to late to plant but I planted them anyway and nothing grew so I later planted beet seeds in the same place it was a late crop but it did grow. I will harvest the small beets we will eat them for dinner if they are good. Online information says, do not plant any host plants where dodder vine was and it will die. Today I will pull every thing up and burn it. I might need to water the soil so all dodder vine seeds germinate and die.

After lunch I pulled up the beets with all the Dodder Vine. Dodder Vine feels exactly like corn silks & sticks to every thing like corn silks. I had it stuck to my, hands, finders, arms, pant legs, shoes, it sticks to anything it touches. I had to be careful to pick it off of me and get it in the trash can with the other plants. After I pulled up the beets I discovered there were several Marigold flower plants hiding in there but no Dodder Vine stuck to it.
Last edited by Gary350 on Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”