Boboe

New Year's Eve harvest

It's been a mild winter here in NW Florida up until now. Unfortunately there are freezes predicted for the next three nights. Leaf and root crops usually make it, but beans don't. So, I had to pick my beans, even though they could have used another week on the plant. While at it, I got some other groceries.
Attachments
IMG_20171231_175319283.jpg

AnnaIkona
Greener Thumb

Woah! It is great to have home grown groceries year round :clap: not really possible to do that here in Canada :roll: enjoy the healthy harvest!

lakngulf
Greener Thumb

Nice end of year harvest! I bet those plants are drooping a bit now with the cold spell you mentioned and now in the midst of round two

Boboe

All of my bean plants--even those in my makeshift visquene greenhouse--turned to piles of mush during the NYE freeze. The subsequent freezes were just icing on top. They're all done.

The leaf crops (kale, cabbage, arugula, lettuces) all can handle a freeze, and made it through all of them. Radishes and broccoli likewise did fine. Strawberries weren't covered at all, and they're all fine. They should begin flowering in a few weeks.

All pepper plants--again, including those inside the greenhouse--got whacked hard. They died back. I dug one up, cut it down to nubs, and potted it after the NYE freeze. It has begun to put out some new green growth. It is an Aji Limon chile plant. The others I've just recently cut back, and I hope they'll sprout new growth and make it. They're aji limon, serrano, and banana peppers. If they don't come back, it's not a terrible loss. I've got other peppers started indoors to put in their place.

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”