rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

2018 garden planning :-) !

2017 garden isn't finished yet, but I thought I would start this. I know people are planning 2018 gardens.

I just sent in my seed order. In Cincinnati, I always used to do that just after New Year's, but I'm on an earlier schedule here and the seed catalogs are coming in, so I thought why not?

I ordered from PineTree seeds this time:

green globe artichokes
KY wonder green beans
scarlet runner beans
broccoli mix
Primero cabbage
soloist chinese cabbage
mini-core carrots
Danvers half -long carrots
Silver Queen corn
mixed lettuces
red okra
sugar snap peas
OR sugar pod peas
Reflect spinach
Cashflow zucchini
Early Girl tomato
Pruden's purple tomato
Pink Berkeley tie dye tomato
Chilean glory
Bonfire salvia
red field poppies
gomphrena
impatiens mix
rose lobelia
summer patch yarrow

that's not everything I will grow, because, of course, I have seeds on hand too.

So maybe I will start trying to make a garden map, but of course it depends on how the winter garden goes.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

I haven't gotten a seed catalog for many years. It seems that most of the "lower 48" isn't ready to admit that January 1 may actually be the best time for central Florida to start tomato seedlings. The big companies wouldn't send the catalogs I requested in fall until after my peas were already in the ground.

I did like Pine Tree seeds, also Johnny's seeds.

Lemon grass and ginger will probably be the first things I sprout after New Years, under cloche. I'll get them from ethnic market produce.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I highlighted some things in pinetree that I ran out of, but only two new varieties that I want to try, both pole beans: Carminat and Monte Gusto. Anyone ever try those from other sources?

imafan26
Mod

I haven't ordered from there. I do agree with Applestar a bit that it is probably a good idea to source seeds as local as possible. Unless you carefully read the descriptions,or know what varieties do well, it can be hit an miss.

I stopped growing Danvers half long carrots. They grow well but don't taste as good as nantes. The best carrots we have grown so far were Nelson. We picked them as baby carrots, but they grew even through our hot summers and they were much sweeter than Danvers. We got the seeds from Johhnys. The other carrot that grows well here is Kuroda.

There are some things that companies will not send to hawaii because of agricultural restrictions. Nothing can come in soil, although the big box stores don't seem to have a problem with that. Not bulbs, so onions and garlic are all grown from seed or grocery store bulbs. I can't even get beneficial nematodes or asparagus crowns anymore. I still can get bare root roses, if I pay an extra fee for soil removal on a bare root plant (HUH???).

The big box stores dominate the market here, Home Depot, Lowe's, Walmart, only one good sized local retail nursery is still in business. Some other nurseries sell to the public but primarily sell the bulk of their products to retailers or have contract plants.

The mainland stores bring in seed racks and some bulbs, but not all of them are suited for our climate. Many people buy the seeds but don't realize, they probably won't do well here.

I get some seeds from the University seed program. Seeds were bred for heat, nematode, and fungal disease resistance. Kitazawa seed in California has Asian seeds that grow well here. Lately, I have been cutting back on seeds because I don't have space to store them. I usually make a list and cull it several times before I am done; My favorite places to shop for seeds online are Baker seeds, Kitazawa, TGN Pumpkin Nook, Tomato growers supply, High Mowing seed, Territorial, Harris, and Pepper Gal.

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”