Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Good Corn Harvest.

I am glad I planted Ambrosia corn this year for several reasons, it tastes much better than Silver Queen, it is a 72 day crop not 95 days, 72 day crop makes it ready to harvest before rains stop and before we start having 100 degrees temperatures. We already ate 13 ears of corn in the past 2 days. We had a garden visitor late last night that ate 6 ears so today all that is ripe had to be harvested. There are 86 ears in the 2 buckets. This is a total of 105 ears of corn for 1st harvest. Second crop will be ready to harvest in 2 more weeks. This was 5 rows of corn, 20 foot long rows, 36" between rows, seeds about 7" to 8" apart. Ambrosia is a smaller corn that Silver Queen and makes 1 ear per stalk like Silver Queen. 200 ears of corn will be a perfect amount for us. Alice made a garden stew for dinner with, corn, green beans, tomatoes, potatoes, herbs, wow nothing better than fresh garden vegetables.

Chocolate Cake & excellent Red Wine, it just doesn't get much better than this. Red Wine is a good bed time sleeping medicine.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

Nice corn! Looks like the Ambrosia came through. :)

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

I love that we can always count on you to provide us with excellent photos to go along with your writing, so we don't have to imagine the chocolate cake and wine... :wink:

applestar
Mod

Beautiful! Are you sold on Ambrosia then? :-()

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:Beautiful! Are you sold on Ambrosia then? :-()
Ambrosia is much better suited for my growing conditions than Silver Queen and it tastes better too.

Ambrosia is a shorter corn 5 ft tall with smaller ears and a 75 day crop which is much better for my growing conditions than SQ which is a 95 day crop that matures in 100 degree weather in August with very little rain. Corn loves, rain, nitrogen, and matures best at 85 degrees of less. I planted corn 3rd week of April and harvested 1st week of July, we are still having rain and temperature is in the mid 80s. Ambrosia and SQ both produce 1 ear of corn.

Last year I planted beans in with the corn to provide nitrogen for the corn it seems to work good SQ was 7 ft tall and made larger ears than usual. I never intended to harvest any of those beans. I might try planting beans with Ambrosia next year. Wow there are so many things to consider when planting a garden we need to make them all work in our favor for a better crop.

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”