Gary350
Super Green Thumb

garden tomatoes

Green tomatoes are still getting ripe.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I am getting my potato beds ready, 3 ft wide 30 ft long filled with a mix of tree leaves, pine needles, broken dead sticks, and 5 gallons of wood ash. I hope wood ash will make the organic material compost by last week of March. I am also planning to shovel all the soil from each side into the wooden frames.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

What is a realistic amount of potatoes to expect to harvest per plant?

I think I have screwed up it rained all day yesterday leaves are wet and matted down like an old wet carpet. I have seen this before roots can not get through a thick pile of wet leaves. I wish I had a way to grind up leaves and mix it with soil.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Don't know about potato harvests, but if you have cleats on any sport shoe, they'll break up the leaves a bit, or maybe mix it up with a scuffle hoe.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

My 400 organic carrot seeds arrived from China today 55¢ free shipping. China does not charge 5 times extra for the word organic. You can't get service like that in the United States. I buy a lot of my seeds from China, Ireland, Netherlands, Ukraine, on Ebay, never been disappointing. I'm all stocked up for spring gardening.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

REAL Italian Pizza Pie seen on Bizarre foods from Italy.

Recipe from TV Show called Bizarre Foods. Use a large diameter deep dish pan, put in the crust so it goes up the side of the pan, then bake in the oven about 7 minutes just enough to cook the crust a little bit but not crispy. Cover the crust with 2 layers of sliced Smoked Provolone cheese plus big hand full of mozzarella cheese. Add Italian pork sausage, onions, pepperoni, herbs parsley, thyme, oregano, then pour a jar Pizza sauce over the top. Bake in the oven 375 degrees for 30 minutes.

First time we made this we had no smoked provolone cheese and still have not found it at the store yet. We used non smoked provolone cheese 2 layers plus 1 small bag of mozzarella cheese, plus fresh picked garden herbs parsley & thyme cooked Italian sausage, onions, pepperoni, dry oregano from grocery store then poured pizza sauce over the top. Baked 375 for 30 min let cool 20 min WOW best pizza we ever had. This makes 6 slices it feeds us both 3 times.

Today we made pizza pie again. Wife decided to add Italian pork sausage plus left over Italian chicken sausage too. Everything else same as before except we added a left over 1/4 pack of Monterrey Jack cheese too. It turned out very good but a little too much meat. If we had added more sauce extra meat would have been ok. Grandson is here tonight so we have 3 slices left over for tomorrow.

I will find smoked provolone I know Kroger use to have it I bought it there once.

My Thyme plant survived last winter and doing good this winter it has been 22 degrees several nights. I had another Thyme plant that died it was in the garden. The one that lived is in a flower pot. Both are English Thyme. My oregano died. Parsley is going good. We sure are loving these herbs they do very good in winter.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

My parsley and thyme are looking very GOOD in this cold weather but they do not grow any larger, they did all there growing in warm weather. We have been eating a lot of herbs the parsley is about 70% gone. Next garden season I need to plant 3 parsley plants.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Chicken vegetable pot pies are so good. Corn, peas, carrots, green beans, potatoes, onions, garlic, parsley, thyme. I finally managed to get pictures this time. Last 3 times they were gone before I could go get the camera.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

My plants are frozen it is 22 degrees outside. I sprouted Broccoli seeds over a month ago, I have been keeping them outside under glass. Plants would get plenty of sunlight if we had some, it is mostly over cast every day this time of the year. Water & soil are both frozen. Plants are not looking good. LOL. We just got home from Florida beach been there since Dec 26th it was sunny and 50 degrees. Local people say it is usally 65 to 70 deg all winter. We camped on the beach $28 per night. We took food to cook but Waffle house is only 2 miles away and lots of good sea food restaurants $5.99 to $7.99 for lunch and dinner. We ate sea food for every meal. I harvested some more herbs for another pizza pie parsley is almost gone. This is last day of Dec I guess there won't be any more posts after this one subject line says 2017 tomorrow is 2018.

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”