Gary350
Super Green Thumb

My 2017 garden

I have, broccoli, kale, napa, onions, garlic, chard, 6 kinds of lettuce, potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, all doing good. It is still raining here I planted a lot of seeds the only thing that germinated was about 25% of the corn seeds. I don't do raised beds but they could be a big advantage getting seeds to grow with 2" of water in the garden, seeds don't do well in mud.

The wooden frames in the photo are to keep 9 cats and 1 dog out of the plant area while plants grow larger. Cats think the soft soil is the poop box fence wire over the top keeps everyone out. Once plants get larger I don't care if they poop in the garden larger plants are harder to damage. This is my first early spring garden in 25 years. Cats and dog are never a problem in my garden.

Last edited by Gary350 on Thu May 04, 2017 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Your garden is looking great too!

Love the kitty pile! :D

Yeah all my gardens are fenced, because otherwise one of our dogs who love to dig, digs everything up

wisconsindead

Looks nice and healthy!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I had a very good salad for dinner, kale, Russian red lettuce, boc choy, romaine lettuce, green onions, a little Thousand Island dressing and a little zesty Italian dressing.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

That damn video at the bottom of the page keeps forcing me to look at it. It is almost impossible to type anything.

wisconsindead

Gary350 wrote:That damn video at the bottom of the page keeps forcing me to look at it. It is almost impossible to type anything.
I don't see the video. But I also use advertisement blockers. If you don't use them on your browser I highly suggest them!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

wisconsindead wrote:
Gary350 wrote:That damn video at the bottom of the page keeps forcing me to look at it. It is almost impossible to type anything.
I don't see the video. But I also use advertisement blockers. If you don't use them on your browser I highly suggest them!
It is not a video anymore. Now it is a photo of a woman holding a police badge. Photo is not being a problem it is not forcing me to look at it anymore.

wisconsindead

Gary350 wrote:
wisconsindead wrote:
It is not a video anymore. Now it is a photo of a woman holding a police badge. Photo is not being a problem it is not forcing me to look at it anymore.
I'm not sure what browser you use, but if you're using chrome you can install this very easily. It removes advertisements. Its free and safe. Its called AdBlock Plus

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... b?hl=en-US

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It is not a video anymore. Now it is a photo of a woman holding a police badge. Photo is not being a problem now it is not forcing me to look at it anymore.[/quote]

I'm not sure what browser you use, but if you're using chrome you can install this very easily. It removes advertisements. Its free and safe. Its called AdBlock Plus

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... b?hl=en-US[/quote]

I am using FoxFire. No one would ever know 16 years ago I was, building computers, doing computer repair. I just got tired of keeping up with the rat race everything changed every few months, I had to relearn every thing again to keep up. Now I am barely smart enough to use my own computer. LOL. I don't even want to keep up with technology anymore. I had to give up my 1 function phone my new phone has 4000 options all I care to know is how to do is, answer calls, make calls, read text messages, sent text messages. That is all.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Today is the first day I have done anything in the garden since April 23 when flash floods started every day for 3 weeks. I repaired my 20 year old tiller it runs good with new engine. The new tiller is poor quality junk. There are 100s of volunteer tomato plants in the corn rows. I finally measured my garden with a tape measure, 35' 6" x 59' 10". It is basically 35'x 60'. I did no garden planing this year, I just planted things at random. Only 5% of my beans germinated in the swamp. Rain finally stopped 3 days ago no rain in the forecast for a whole week and 90 degrees in the forecast every day. This year camping takes priority over the garden but I still have, tomatoes, corn, potatoes, squash, melons, herbs, greens.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

It was 92 degrees a week ago broccoli bolted and went to seed. Now we are having another week of flash floor rain and tornadoes. Yesterdays high was 56 degrees, today 58. Tomatoes are 4 ft tall with blossoms and 1" green tomatoes. Greens, onions, potatoes are doing good. Zucchini and melons are small 6" plants. Corn is 10" tall.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I harvested 6 lbs of Blue Lake Bush Beans a few days ago and another 7 lbs of beans today. The lady across the street came over and got 2 lbs of beans. We made a big crock pot of beans and pigged out on it for dinner then Alice froze it all. Hey, I wasn't finished eating those? Tomorrow another big pot of beans. I got 13 lbs of beans so far there is probably 1 more lb to harvest when they get larger in 2 or 3 days. Plants will need to blossom again to make 2nd crop of beans that will take another 2 or 3 weeks. 2nd harvest is always about 1/2 of 1st harvest so I might just pull all the plants up after that because 3rd harvest is even smaller probably be about 3 lbs. I like to replant after 2nd harvest a new crop will give us a total of about 30 lbs of beans total for both crops for the whole summer. My crops are all about maximum quantity to stock the pantry for winter.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

More beans .

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Everything got ripe all at the same time, corn, tomatoes, squash, beans, potatoes, peppers, etc.

First Garden pizza of the summer. Canned pizza crust. Rage Pizza sauce. Pepperoni's. Thin sliced Big Beef garden Tomatoes. Thin sliced garden sweet bell peppers. Thin sliced garden onions. Garden herbs, Marjoram & Thyme. A sprinkle of crushed Red Pepper, black pepper, salt. Top with Mozzarella Cheese. Bake crust first, add the toppings, add cheese, bake until golden brown. Yummy. Wow its good. :) There are 2 slices left I will have 1 slice for breakfast with 2 pancakes and coffee.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

8 lbs of potatoes

zucchini cake

105 ears or corn

wine & cake

Rhubarb cobbler

13 lbs of tomatoes

5 gallons of wine

tomato plants

dinner

Animal_lover

Oh, what a gallery of wonderful looking gardens :). Love to see people passionate about gardening and animals. Also when speaking of dogs...how do you prevent your dogs from "marking" your garden? I don't want to fence up my garden because we already have limited space for our dog to go but also noticed that he is marking my herbs vigorously...

wisconsindead

Awesome. Cool to see so many different applications of your produce.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I made this for dinner last night. I used baked potatoes instead of the bell peppers for a bowl. I scooped out the inside of the potato mixed in, sour cream, butter, cheddar cheese, then refilled the potato shell body. I cooked German Bratsworth in the skillet with, 1 chopped onion, 5 garlic cloves, 2 large tomatoes chopped, 1 large bell pepper chopped, 1/2 cup red wine, 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce. Wow it was good.

Another 14 lbs of tomatoes.

Dog is no problem in the garden it likes to dig but does not dig plants. Digging is like having tiny free garden tiller. LOL

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

Question on your recipe: so you cook the potato mixture in the skins, and then add the sausage mixture on top? Or was the sausage mixture something you ate separately?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

KitchenGardener wrote:Question on your recipe: so you cook the potato mixture in the skins, and then add the sausage mixture on top? Or was the sausage mixture something you ate separately?
I made this recipe again since I posted this. Bake potatoes in oven 1 hr 10 minutes, wipe with oil, don't cover with aluminum foil. Cut down center squeeze the ends the center will come open. Put 1 tablespoon of butter inside and 2 large spoons of sour cream, stir into the cooked potato. Top with sharp Cheddar cheese. Potato skin is bowl shape it acts like the bowl.

Cut casing off the outside of 2 German Bratsworth cook meat into small pieces, add 1 cup dices onion cook until tender, add 1 cup dices bell peppers and 1 cup dices tomatoes cook until most of the tomato juice has evaporated, add 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and 1/4 cup of red wine cook until most of the liquid is gone. Scoop the meat mix over the baked potato.

I tried this 2 different ways with meat over the potato and meat at the side of the potato. WOW they are both different and both very good try it both ways.

Note: Soy sauce is much better than Worcestershire sauce. Next time I make this I will use 3 Bratsworth to make 2 servings to see how that turns out, might be better and maybe not just have to test it and see. Garden vegetables make a big different in how good this is.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Not much to do in the garden. Corn has been harvested, stalked pulled up, lots of corn eaten, 130 ears in the freezer for winter. Soil has been tilled.

Hot weather has slowed tomatoes down but I am still getting more than we can eat. I Canned 9 pints of tomatoes in mason jars and gave away 40 lbs of tomatoes.

I harvested beans several times, I gave about 10 lbs to my Son. Don't need anymore beans we have 15 bags in the freezer and 6 pint mason jars. I am letting beans go to seed for next years crop.

Late planting yellow squash it needs to be harvested today. 3 zucchini plants self destructed the other 2 plants are not making squash.

Too hot for bell peppers now, 1 plant made 4 very large peppers we ate 2 and 2 still on the plant. Fall cool weather will make a lot of bell peppers.

Kale is still growing but growing very slow.

Late onions look good. If all 75 onions make big onions I'm not sure we can eat them all before they go bad.

Water melons have about a dozen small melons that are about a month or so away from being ripe.

Cantaloupe has 6 large melons that look like they could be ripe any day.

I had 1 Russet potato that sprouted 4 eyes I cut them off and planted them in the garden. 4 month crop should be ready about Halloween.

KitchenGardener
Location: Northern California; Hardiness Zone 10a, Climate zone: 17

Gary350 wrote:
KitchenGardener wrote:Question on your recipe: so you cook the potato mixture in the skins, and then add the sausage mixture on top? Or was the sausage mixture something you ate separately?
I made this recipe again since I posted this. Bake potatoes in oven 1 hr 10 minutes, wipe with oil, don't cover with aluminum foil. Cut down center squeeze the ends the center will come open. Put 1 tablespoon of butter inside and 2 large spoons of sour cream, stir into the cooked potato. Top with sharp Cheddar cheese. Potato skin is bowl shape it acts like the bowl.

Cut casing off the outside of 2 German Bratsworth cook meat into small pieces, add 1 cup dices onion cook until tender, add 1 cup dices bell peppers and 1 cup dices tomatoes cook until most of the tomato juice has evaporated, add 2 tablespoons of soy sauce and 1/4 cup of red wine cook until most of the liquid is gone. Scoop the meat mix over the baked potato.

I tried this 2 different ways with meat over the potato and meat at the side of the potato. WOW they are both different and both very good try it both ways.

Note: Soy sauce is much better than Worcestershire sauce. Next time I make this I will use 3 Bratsworth to make 2 servings to see how that turns out, might be better and maybe not just have to test it and see. Garden vegetables make a big different in how good this is.

Thanks for clarifying - it looks really good! Heart cloggingly good!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I harvested another Zucchini squash, 2 yellow squash and 12 lbs of tomatoes today. I had some Russet potatoes growing in the pantry so I planted the eyes in the garden they should be ready to harvest about first week of November. The deep freeze is full, the pantry is full, I put 2 more shelves in the pantry. Cantaloupe are very large about 7" diameter and water melons about the same size. Onions are getting larger but not ready yet. Weather man said it was going to be 101 degrees today, it was 95 in Nashville TN and 91 at my house 34 miles south. It was 107 in St Louis MO.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

My kind of summer time dinner. Bean salad, potato salad, cottage cheese, German tomato salad, Rotisserie BBQ Pork.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I was surprised to have such a good crop of 63 onions. This crop was planted a month later than the 1st crop and it did many times better than the first crop. This crop of onions will last us a few months. I use to keep a note book but I stopped doing that about 7 years ago, I think these were planted about first week of May. I tilled the soil, leveled it with a rake, set the onion bulbs right on the surface of the soil then pushed them into the soil about 1/2 the onion bulb width. A little more than a week later onion tops were 6" tall. I sprinkled an empty soup can of Urea on the 25 ft onion row then pushed soil up over the onion bulb. We had a lot of spring rain, it rained almost every day first week of July 6th. Onions tops were starting to look brown 2 weeks ago and today they all were looking very dry and dieing so I pulled them all up. Wow what a nice surprise. Maybe I made a mistake pulling the onions up, maybe I should have left them in the garden and pulled them up as we needed them.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

This was my corn before I harvested it. 5 rows 36" apart 12" long each planted about May 1st. Harvested about July 7th. 130 ears of corn. Ambrosia is a small corn, 72 day drop, very good flavor.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Sweet Bell peppers.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Cantaloupe.

Last edited by Gary350 on Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

7 more pints of canned tomatoes.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Another good garden dinner. Home made spaghetti sauce with, garden tomatoes, garlic, onions, parsley, oregano, marjoram, thyme. And 2 slices of rotisserie BBQ pork.

Potato salad with beans.

German Tomato salad with, garden tomatoes, onions, parsley.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Another 14 lbs of tomatoes. Hot weather is not slow down production. I think planting my tomatoes under a shade tree worked better than expected. It was 97 degrees today, no rain in a week. Suppose to be 98 tomorrow. I never water my garden no matter how hot and dry it gets. We don't need anymore tomatoes Canned in mason jars we have 73 pints in the pantry.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

LUNCH........ 22" sub sandwich with, Salami, black forest ham, smoked turkey, Swiss cheese, Cheddar cheese, mayo, mustard, garden tomatoes, garden onions, lettuce, zesty Italian Dressing. I don't usually eat lunch meat or salami but this just sounded good today.

Scratch built cinnamon rolls. I have not made these in 5 years not too bad for being out of practice.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

More tomatoes.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Not much happening in my garden but tomatoes and melons every thing else has been harvested. More tomatoes today this 95 to 97 degree heat does not seen to be hurting the harvest.

wisconsindead

Looking good.

Especially those cinnamon rolls...

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Can you see 33 tomatoes on this plant.

Taiji
Greener Thumb
Location: Gardening in western U.P. of MI. 46+ N. lat. elev 1540. zone 3; state bird: mosquito

That is simply amazing. When I look at all those tomatoes and the relative dearth of foliage, I'm thinking my garden just must be too nitrogen rich. I've got lots of foliage but few fruits. Wonder if I should lay off cover crops for awhile and figure out a way to get more P and K in the soil.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Taiji wrote:That is simply amazing. When I look at all those tomatoes and the relative dearth of foliage, I'm thinking my garden just must be too nitrogen rich. I've got lots of foliage but few fruits. Wonder if I should lay off cover crops for awhile and figure out a way to get more P and K in the soil.
Don't give your tomatoes much nitrogen they tend to become all plant with few tomatoes. I give my 4" plants a hand full of 15/15/15 fertilizer the day they are planted and pellet lime. If I have wood ash I sprinkle that around the tomato plants it contains about 30% lime, potash and lots of minerals. The majority of the green leaves are near the top of the 8 ft tall plant. Most of the lower leaves have died. I don't usually waste my time removing dead leaves but this year I cut most of them off.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I picked a 5 gallon bucket of tomatoes today. Close to 40 lbs.

Return to “Vegetable Garden Progress + Photos & Videos”